Prev Next
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdschnei wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
asad137 wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but where is Hotman!?

Dude, slowman banned him like a month ago.

Must have missed that

Head over to the LR he is 'superjayfive'. He has some epic commentary already how the earth was populated by aliens and plenty of 'factual' evidence he discovered on the Googles! Just look for the '!', quotation marks and LOL's.

Oh my goodness. Well if it's on the internets, it can't be a lie.

I kid you not he is maybe 50% of the reason I come on ST it's an absolute hoot to banter with him.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
asad137 wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but where is Hotman!?

Dude, slowman banned him like a month ago.

Must have missed that

Head over to the LR he is 'superjayfive'. He has some epic commentary already how the earth was populated by aliens and plenty of 'factual' evidence he discovered on the Googles! Just look for the '!', quotation marks and LOL's.

Oh my goodness. Well if it's on the internets, it can't be a lie.

I kid you not he is maybe 50% of the reason I come on ST it's an absolute hoot to banter with him.

I think you should start taking this approach to dealing with him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFz4McarlQ

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
i don't know if it made a difference in time, but I've had 2 moments.

the high elbow refers to the elbow position during the pull and not on recovery.

the barrel catch refers to the time period at the very end of recovery and the start of putting your hand in the water.

oh, one more: to keep elbow high, focus on keeping the pointed bone of you elbow on the top of your extended arm and not on the bottom. ie rotate your bony elbow to teh top of your extended arm. JUST found this one out.
Could you explain this last one. I'm not sure if I can even do that, and doing it with what I think is good hand position is impossible.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Push wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
i don't know if it made a difference in time, but I've had 2 moments.

the high elbow refers to the elbow position during the pull and not on recovery.

the barrel catch refers to the time period at the very end of recovery and the start of putting your hand in the water.

oh, one more: to keep elbow high, focus on keeping the pointed bone of you elbow on the top of your extended arm and not on the bottom. ie rotate your bony elbow to teh top of your extended arm. JUST found this one out.
Could you explain this last one. I'm not sure if I can even do that, and doing it with what I think is good hand position is impossible.

I'm obviously explaining it very poorly. Watch the video and he explains it MUCH better. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how's it coming along?

SurfingLamb wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
M Ernst wrote:
My a-ha moment was learning that my center of buoyancy transferred to my hips by tightening my lower back, butt and hammys, thus causing my "caboose" to float to the top. ( lost the link to the video with the presenter in the rooster hat demonstrating this).

Yes that video ROCKS. It's amazing the difference having good balance can make. Curious. When you did that how much of a speed boost did you see in your 100 split? It probably happened slowly over a bit of time since you have to strengthen things up a bit, but your guesstimate. The erector spinae group took me a good 6 months b/c it was automatic, quite a chore, but way worth it once ingrained.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ

HOLY FUCKING SHIT OF ALL SHITS

You DONT kick to keep your ass/legs from dragging? SERIOUSLY?

I'm not even being sarcastic (maybe it comes off like this) - but that's what I've been doing the entire time.

Fuck, I really just need to get lessons. But I'm going to start these little drills.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Sep 28, 13 1:28
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
M Ernst wrote:
My a-ha moment was learning that my center of buoyancy transferred to my hips by tightening my lower back, butt and hammys, thus causing my "caboose" to float to the top. ( lost the link to the video with the presenter in the rooster hat demonstrating this).

Yes that video ROCKS. It's amazing the difference having good balance can make. Curious. When you did that how much of a speed boost did you see in your 100 split? It probably happened slowly over a bit of time since you have to strengthen things up a bit, but your guesstimate. The erector spinae group took me a good 6 months b/c it was automatic, quite a chore, but way worth it once ingrained.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ

HOLY FUCKING SHIT OF ALL SHITS

You DONT kick to keep your ass/legs from dragging? SERIOUSLY?

I'm not even being sarcastic (maybe it comes off like this) - but that's what I've been doing the entire time.

Fuck, I really just need to get lessons. But I'm going to start these little drills.

x2 on this. I've been working harder not smarter. Sigh... Looking forward to giving this a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had more "a ha" moments to share but I am a slow swimmer (1:06 ironman wetsuit swim as fastest swim). Some of the "a ha" moments which are probably very basic swim principles.

1. Keeping the head really firm ("where the head goes, the body will follow", so if I move the head a bit, the body becomes a snake)
2. Shoulderwide hand entry, I used to have the hands enter a bit inwards although not crossing over.
3. Avoiding dropping elbow (okay, probably not avoiding it 100% but at least limiting the drop of the elbow) by not exending the arm before hand enters the water (I used to extend it fully before hand entered the water) and focus on keeping the elbow pointing as much upwards as possible during both recovery, catch and early pull. I have tried the over the barrel and wall analogies but does not really work. Instead I imagine that I am reaching out towards a table in front of me, placing my hand on that table and then lifting the elbow upwards. Then I initiate the pull.

Trying as best as I can to adhere to those principles in every swim practice and race I do but it is f***king difficult

Waiting for more a ha moments. Doing 100m repeats at 1m40ish seconds so there must be plenty of a ha moments ahead I hope :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experimented with the drill where you float on your stomach engaging my back, hams, butt muscles. I will do this drill and then swim a couple of 50s trying to contract said mucles...my 50 times are faster by 5 seconds just because my legs are up higher. As of now I can't hold the form...I am doing a half ironman in 4 weeks so probably will not really improve until after the event. But it feels like a possible ha-ha moment.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I have experimented with the drill where you float on your stomach engaging my back, hams, butt muscles. I will do this drill and then swim a couple of 50s trying to contract said mucles...my 50 times are faster by 5 seconds just because my legs are up higher. As of now I can't hold the form...I am doing a half ironman in 4 weeks so probably will not really improve until after the event. But it feels like a possible ha-ha moment.

You are merely scratching the surface be EXCITED. The few people I have seen take this to heart and stick with it had similar experiences early on and then boom. Off to the races.

That is really not uncommon to see time pick ups like that in my experience if your position was sketchy. An IM focus gal I swim with has picked up a full 12 seconds per 100m from her old position to improved higher hips once it was sustainable and ingrained. Not a single tweak to her stroke or workouts, just body position. I believe she will go 1:08-1:10 at IMFL. Just stick with it like anything consistency is key.....that 50 will become a 100. Then you will be able to do 200's. Then one day you will notice 'huh I don't have to think about this any longer!'. In almost all of us those muscles are either undeveloped or we don't know how to tension them properly so it just takes time. Kudos on sticking with it! In point of fact I have gone back to doing those exercises a bit b/c I stopped focusing on it at some point some old habits started creeping back in. First thing I look to when my splits start fading is my body checklist. Sure enough I have been getting lazy with my glue/low back activation.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Sep 29, 13 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
One of the aspects of swimming which has really sunk it's claws into me the past few years is the seemingly endless progression of skill acquisition which I had been reluctant to tackle for decades. I was first in line when Nerd Cards were handed out so the cerebral aspects of swimming really speak to me as much as the brutal physical demands....I thoroughly enjoy all of it. Recently I had a big bump in fly performance from something so small it was comical, but the net effect was the difference in finishing a 100 strong or riding home the last 25 with a piano on my back. Now I'm entertaining tackling the 200 at some point simply b/c of a tiny thought that triggers an entire chain of events. One goofy thought took 2.6 seconds off my 50fly pr!

So, with the endless thoughts and threads on swimming I thought it might be fun or a good idea to start a thread that has nothing but collections of 'a ha' moments that took you to the next level. I think we can safely assume swimming really really hard is a given. The effort level and consistency has to be there for performance so 'increasing from 1 1,000 yard swim a week to 3 2,000 yard swims really helped!' is kind of obvious;)

Looking forward to learning some cool stuff from some of our fishbeasts on ST. I think sometimes there are some really awesome nuggets that get lost in unrelated threads. That's my hope here is to maybe create a neat repository of tweaks that took you to the next level. Maybe this thread is a big flop, maybe it's a hit. If it helps one person say 'a ha' it's a win in my book!

Fly, back, breast, free and dolphin....let 'er rip!

For me, it is as simple as consistency. Nothing beats it.

This is the first year I have swum through winter in about 10-12 years. I have averaged 3-4k per week over the past 20 weeks, and am still swimming as fast as I was in March (which was after a 6 month build up to IM Melb).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still finding myself in total awe of the immense talent of the swimming world. The faster I get the more I find out how not fast I am! I love it thought just motivates me and keeps me frosty.

To expound my point. Skill acquisition transcends all ages. I received a tip on my fly today from a kid maybe 14 years old. Kid is making AAA cuts and fast as a mofo. Was so weird taking stroke instruction from a 14 year old! Then again watching him do a hand full of sub 60 100 fly sets uh, convinced me it was 'ok';) And low and behold the tip was instantly and easily applied so he must be a good teacher if I absorbed it!

I'm also completely sold on a hardcore dry land program by the results after 3 months. Man alive I dread it sometimes b/c the guy slays us, but the ability to maintain posture deep into events has never been like this by a long shot. Glad I listened to a pal who shoved me into the idea of dry land.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Nov 2, 13 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realizing that keeping your head down is much better for swimming was a real "a ha" moment. By keeping my head down, there is less surface area that is getting hit by water, and the positioning keeps my hips up so I'm not dragging my legs in the water. It's made a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love it if you shared a couple of those 'fly tips!

I've got from no fly to can fly but not far and not well, so just about anything is probably going to help.. (provided it's not so advanced or subtle that it's beyond my rudimentary state)
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
I'd love it if you shared a couple of those 'fly tips!

I've got from no fly to can fly but not far and not well, so just about anything is probably going to help.. (provided it's not so advanced or subtle that it's beyond my rudimentary state)

Na not so advanced. I'm assuming you have a decent grasp of the body dolphin undulation? A lot of folks think fly is about getting up high out of the water thrusting themselves vertical. That actually makes things infinitely more difficult. Think 'low amplitude sine wave'.

What the kid taught me today was something called 'shoulder driven fly' which I have been loosely aware of until today. I had been aware of attempting to enter with a softer hand entry and that had helped me with bringing my hips up, but it was elusive. One day it was there the next I couldn't quite corral the feeling. Mike Bottom teaches it to his Club Wolverine folks a lot. Essentially what you do is make sure your scapulas stay retracted against the spine when the recovery finds you entering the water. It provides a bit of tension and helps the hands to land softer which aids not only in sending you down the pool more(rather than down in the water colum), but also helps bring the hips up a TON. I was shocked at how much flatter I was swimming and it didn't effect my rhythm or timing at all. As a matter of fact without any conscious thought at all I reduced about 1 stroke per 25 over about 10 x 25. So the net net was it brought my hips up even further, but now I know exactly why and how much better, but the scap retraction really gave me a lot more of a feeling of driving down the pool at the wall and even less of the up and down action. Just a much flatter, driving stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to a cognizant coach, one of my most helpful freestyle a-ha's came when I was thinking about hand position during the entry and reach. I focus on keeping my hand angled down slightly instead of allowing the fingers to lift upwards. This has really helped prevent rotator cuff pain, and maybe helps prevent some drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!! :-)

I struggle a bit from the adult onset swimmer "I can hear what you're saying but just can't make my body do it" syndrome, so yes, I understand the undulation concept in theory - practice is still very much work in progress. Probably a bit more work with fins required so my body 'gets it' more easily. Interestingly enough, the squad session where I 'got' fly, the coach was emphasising less is more and was encouraging everyone to slow down & work on reducing the amount of up & down powering.

I think I get what you're saying with the retraction. It will probably explode my head trying to work it in to what I'm doing, but hell, gotta have something to aim for!
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
Thanks to a cognizant coach, one of my most helpful freestyle a-ha's came when I was thinking about hand position during the entry and reach. I focus on keeping my hand angled down slightly instead of allowing the fingers to lift upwards. This has really helped prevent rotator cuff pain, and maybe helps prevent some drag.

Great! Yea that is simply putting the brakes on by letting that hand ride upwards toward the surface...in addition to the tendency to push down which is also a killer on the delts. Also plays havoc with delaying the catch rather than getting right into it which then leads to timing issues....on the down the line. Glad you got that sorted out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's one that works for longer distance swimming, IMO.

This is an idea for kick development. The a-ha part is that you never kick when you swim like you end up kicking with a kick board. So the board may be keeping you from learning all you need with regards to the kick. You need to isolate the swim style kick and get better at it.

Keys: one-legged kick drills, ankle flexibility, and kicking more pigeon toed than with your foot straight up and down.

Do kicking drills without a board and using only one leg. Keep your left hand extended and your right hand down your side and kick with your left foot only for 8-10 reps. Then take a stroke and switch hands for 8-10 reps. That kick will end up setting up the stroke for that arm, so it's good practice. This drill, if done right will do a lot of dynamic stretching of your ankles. Also, it will show where lack of uniformity may be letting one leg kick well and the other kick like crap. Finally, this drill will enable you to better feel that kick (or lack of it during your stroke). You will be better able to include a more powerful two beat kick into your stroke. It will propel you better and create the body tension for a better catch. This drill is slow, but be patient. You should be able to judge which types and amplitudes of kicks propel you better than others. Go watch some distance swimmer underwater footage if you aren't sure how much to move your knee versus hip.

A pigeon toed kick is going to let your ankles be more flexible and provide more foot surface area to propel you forward.

Finally, you need to do drills to flex those ankles. Dynamic stretches are best. Stretches that mimic your new "more pigeon toed" kick are the best. Ankle flexibility is crucial for kick power and speed.
Last edited by: SH: Nov 2, 13 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Here's one that works for longer distance swimming, IMO.

This is an idea for kick development. The a-ha part is that you never kick when you swim like you end up kicking with a kick board. So the board may be keeping you from learning all you need with regards to the kick. You need to isolate the swim style kick and get better at it.

Keys: one-legged kick drills, ankle flexibility, and kicking more pigeon toed than with your foot straight up and down.

Do kicking drills without a board and using only one leg. Keep your left hand extended and your right hand down your side and kick with your left foot only for 8-10 reps. Then take a stroke and switch hands for 8-10 reps. That kick will end up setting up the stroke for that arm, so it's good practice. This drill, if done right will do a lot of dynamic stretching of your ankles. Also, it will show where lack of uniformity may be letting one leg kick well and the other kick like crap. Finally, this drill will enable you to better feel that kick (or lack of it during your stroke). You will be better able to include a more powerful two beat kick into your stroke. It will propel you better and create the body tension for a better catch. This drill is slow, but be patient. You should be able to judge which types and amplitudes of kicks propel you better than others. Go watch some distance swimmer underwater footage if you aren't sure how much to move your knee versus hip.

A pigeon toed kick is going to let your ankles be more flexible and provide more foot surface area to propel you forward.

Finally, you need to do drills to flex those ankles. Dynamic stretches are best. Stretches that mimic your new "more pigeon toed" kick are the best. Ankle flexibility is crucial for kick power and speed.

Can work great for sprint kick folks like me as well. I always had a huge disconnect in how my kick felt with a board vs that of my kick when in my freestyle position. I'd have to jack my neck up and it bothered my low back. Plus, it's extremely difficult to work on the rotational aspect of kicking while locked into a board. At best my feet would be 1' to 18" under water with a board vs touching the surface with my soles kicking with a snorkel. Kicking face down with a snorkel or on my back feels the same as my freestyle stroke. Once I dumped the board for a snorkel I went from despising kick sets to loving them b/c I found out I wasn't really that bad of a kicker and I didn't have to endure back spasms to do it!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Nov 3, 13 2:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam often before but never really knew what I was doing before but since I restarted swimming this year I worked a lot on my technique and searched for a lot of information and videos.

So far
My A-ha moment was when I realized I could have the pool for almost myself on friday evenings. We were only 4 last friday. Saturday : 40...

And uh that the trick to bilateral breathing was just to stick to it and that it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get it right. Yesterday I realized I had no idea which side was the one I used to think was easier and more natural.

When you breath. You shouldn't keep your air in but exhale all the time so you breath at a natural rate. This helped a lot with the feeling of tiredness.

Also. That rooster hat guy video helped me a lot. I had to switch lane, went from medium/slow to medium/fast just because of that simple change.

I have no clues on my time but my progress is pissing my friend off quite a bit. He used to be quite a bit faster than me during the previous years and this year I'm ahead of him.

I'm at that point where every little thing just gives me an incredible boost in speed and efficiency it's incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to swim...'a ha!'
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slightly intrigued by what people are saying re: not swimming long moderate sets.

I like to knock out a 2,000 or 2,400m swim, maybe a little longer, like once a week or every other week just to ingrain the feeling of swimming for a long period of time continuously. Normally will swim a clear set (i.e. 5 x 200 moderate, 10 x 100 hard, etc), but I like to know that I can swim at least the half-ironman distance comfortably and controlled.

Thoughts, feelings?

Also, the feeling of 'swimming on rails' was huge for me - made me really aware of the impact that crossing over can have. Took me from 2:15's / 100 down to solid 1:50's (yes, I know this is very slow - clearly not a fish. :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'A ha' moments.

I am a respectable cyclist, decent runner, and a terrible swimmer, I also do yoga (this becomes relevant later). Just the other week while doing my warm up I decided to push a bit harder than normal. After a few hundred meters my body felt like it was struggling/drowning I couldn't get enough oxygen and I was trying so hard to breathe. At this point I decided to try and keep going because darn it I'm going to get better at swimming and I need to push myself. Then it hit me, it yoga its all about relaxing and taking nice even steady breaths to sink into posture better, on a bike you need to be in control of your breathing or you will lose it, and running so much is on breathing patterns. I realized I was working so hard to get air into my lungs that it wasn't helping. I relaxed a bit and thought about getting a nice even breath on my laps and *boom* I was holding a similar pace but I felt in control. My hr went down and mentally I felt clear. First time since I started swimming last year that I didn't feel like I was drowning awesome feeling and swimming is much more enjoyable. (I'm still slow but it's getting better)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, swimming in general, my main thought is "cruise". Gentle hand entry, long extension, pull and gliiiiiiide. Repeat as necessary.

For fly, my main thought is not about getting out of the water, hand entry or kick or whatever, I simply focus on getting back down into the water.

That said, I'm slow as swimming, and my shoulders are FK'd so I don't do fly often (left shoulder dislocation as a kid, means I easily pinch a deltoid in my joint if I'm not really keen on dryland shoulder strength work. On my right shoulder, the cartilege is slowly peeling off the bone, and I'm trying to stave off reconstructive surgery as long as possible.

I dooooo love fly tho. It's such a cool Zen type stroke. (I particularly like fly in the surf at the beach. Launching off the top of a wave is way cool) If you fight it, you just lose. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [thepaul500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reckon swimming over a line of barrels is one of the best visualizations out there.

I prefer a slight variation however. I prefer to think of swimming over a really long extension ladder, just under the water surface. Arguably the same idea, but works a tad better for me. I think of reaching for a ladder rung, grabbing it with a flat/open hand, right around that big muscle at the base of your thumb, then hauling myself towards the end of the pool. The idea of the rungs also help to stop my butt from sinking and also encourage a faster shallower kick.

Either visualization seems to work well tho.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next