Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, but it seemed a little bit like a fairly tale to bag a GT so easily. Three- week races are just a different animal.

Nibali is going to make this interesting. Not going to get it all back today but might get enough time to set up a serious cafe match tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, Nibali took 5 minutes back in one stage, and only :44 down on Chaves. I think he takes it tomorrow
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to feel terrible for Kruijswijk. He just looked empty physically and emotionally as he crossed the line. It does setup a pretty interesting day tomorrow. Top three are pretty close. Hard to imagine Kruijswijk being the one to pull back time tomorrow, but you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow....he goes from looking like he has no chance for the overall to in with a shout in one stage.

Crazy race....Kruijswick isn't necessarily out of it, either, but he took a big hit today....don't know if he can recover by tomorrow (both psychologically and psychologically)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last 2.3km tomorrow are gonna be crazy....had a long run planned for the morning but I clearly will have to reshuffle my schedule!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't Nibali undergo a battery of "tests" yesterday?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow what a stage

Kruijswijk is going to feel that fall later today/tomorrow.
It also looks like he bumped his head, possible concussion?

Zakarin TV coverage post fall was scary, at least wait until he moves, I thought we were looking at a really bad situation at first.

I am pulling away with the velogames lead!

Always love the Giro/Vuelta more than TDF. Its easier to watch TDF on US TV!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That stage is perfectly suited for one of the Shark's ambushes with massive descent before final climb. You can bet he'll put everyone on the limit both down and uphill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That stage is perfectly suited for one of the Shark's ambushes with massive descent before final climb. You can bet he'll put everyone on the limit both down and uphill.

Yup, exactly. Go a bit before the summit to maybe take some zip out of Cavez's legs, bomb the descent and hit the final 2.3k like a mofo for the finish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race has been amazing!
Chaves now in Pink, Nibili right on his tail, Kruijswijk down [in a snowbank] by 1' 05", Valverde 4th at 1' 48"
Tomorrow is another mountain stage, tougher than today, the race will prolly get decided Saturday!
I predict Chaves stays in pink FTW

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a response to Power13 specifically, but how do the unwritten rules apply in the case of Kruijswijk's crash?
I recall a few times in the past where someone involved in the GC fight crashed and everyone sat up to allow him to rejoin the group he was with. Wasn't Contador criticized for attacking when Schleck dropped his chain?

Any input?
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Not a response to Power13 specifically, but how do the unwritten rules apply in the case of Kruijswijk's crash?
I recall a few times in the past where someone involved in the GC fight crashed and everyone sat up to allow him to rejoin the group he was with. Wasn't Contador criticized for attacking when Schleck dropped his chain?

Any input?

I'm not seeing much criticism on cycling forums. Nibali had previously attacked and put SK in trouble as well as having dropped Valverde who was sitting third, ahead of him. If he waits, he lets Valverde catch up and potentially gives up a chance at a spot on the podium. Further, the race was on -- there was a stage and overall to be decided and who knows whether SK can even continue (indeed, he has cracked rib and won't decide till morning whether he continues).

Further, dropping a chain (Schleck) or getting handlebar caught in handbag (LA) are different that losing concentration while descending. Nibali's standard race tactic is to push hard on downhill and see if others can keep up. SK failed (sadly) in a basic race skill.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta add that as much as I despise Scarponi's checkered past, he was one hell of a teammate today. He clearly had a shot at stage but seemed to willingly follow instructions to drop back. Without that, it might not have set up tomorrow's epic showdown.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
Anybody else sign up for FuboTV and watch the Prologue? Video quality was excellent. However, I am either missing something or you can only watch live (DVR function only works for soccer matches).

Can someone help me find a rebroadcast / stream of stage 19 online?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Further, dropping a chain (Schleck) or getting handlebar caught in handbag (LA) are different that losing concentration while descending. Nibali's standard race tactic is to push hard on downhill and see if others can keep up. SK failed (sadly) in a basic race skill.

Schleck dropping that chain was his own doing, and is just part of cycling. You'll note the there are always cyclists who spend more time than others with mechanicals and you can't always blame the mechanics. This is why some athletes still ride mechanical group sets because the believe it is more reliable etc. Equipment choice is part of it, as is skill in doing the most basic of shifts in the heat of the moment. He was shifting to launch an attack, misses the shift, and then took 3 tries to put it back on. Now I've done that more times than I can count, but I'm also not gunning for the tdf.
Last edited by: timbasile: May 28, 16 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe D in the break, Masters Nats done and dusted, US Nat Champ RR coming up, coffee is perfect. LIFE BE SWELL.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [CyclingNews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
15:25:55 CEST
40km of descending now for the favourites. Yes, 40.

shoot, that sounds like fun
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Schleck dropping that chain was his own doing, and is just part of cycling.

Well if you want to debate that, there are plenty of people who disagree with you. There wasn't much consensus in that case. However, with regard to yesterday, no reasonably knowledgable cycling fans were saying they should have waited.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe D is looking good.

Hostilities are going to commence on next descent. Guess we'll see how well Chaves goes downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Game on!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chaves looks to be in big trouble. Not going to catch Nibali going downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, how about that: Uran finally does something in the Giro.

Nibali looking smooth, Chaves not so much
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
elcartelduco wrote:
Land beat the hell out of him at Giro del Trentino a couple weeks ago. Also he's got Nieve as domestique, Henao... Although Nibali's got Fulgslang and a better TT strength, I don't think it's going to be enough.
Question is how much will Landa loose on TT and if he'll make it up on the mountains, which he's got plenty, even a MTT.

Nibali gives less than zero shits about the Giro del Trentino. He's going to be ready, always is.

I can't believe Nibbles made me right today. The guy shits excellence.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really an unbelievable win....Nibbles was just never that strong, but through attrition, a little luck and smart riding, he came out on top.

Was hoping for a little bit more of a showdown, but Chaves was clearly gassed today when Nibali went for the jugular.

Great race overall....gotta like it when a GT comes down to the final weekend!

Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
Schleck dropping that chain was his own doing, and is just part of cycling.

Well if you want to debate that, there are plenty of people who disagree with you. There wasn't much consensus in that case. However, with regard to yesterday, no reasonably knowledgable cycling fans were saying they should have waited.

Not going to debate, but the cyclingnews tracker comment just after was "surely they will wait for the pink jersey" so at least one person thought they should. In the end it didn't make a difference for pink, but he might have stayed on the podium.
Quote Reply

Prev Next