Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This "sale" does go to illustrate how huge the mark-ups are on bikes though

Or they are trying to get the last of last year's inventory off the floor and under customers.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Cervelo is struggling, generating cash, they'll be out of business soon. At this point, I wouldn't buy any of their crap.

ps. Hey, it's ST, and like most here, I'm just making sh*t up.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pissed because I already own two Cervelos, a 2009 P2 and a 2009 R3, and they refused my request for a $2000 refund! I'll never buy another Cervelo until the next time I buy a bike!!!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conversely, I am pissed that I'm not in the market (that's a me thing, not a Cervelo thing), but will likely be next year around this time. So hopefully, but highly doubtful, Cervelo will a similar promotion then. I've been considering the upgrade for a bunch of years but have postponed it for a number of reasons. Getting back into the sport, I bought the no longer available Cervelo Dual, and it's been a great bike don't get me wrong, but I have been admiring the P2. However I am not comfortable parting with the $$$ at this time, having recently relocated.
Last edited by: exit30: Dec 23, 11 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
bazilbrush wrote:
I am much better than a customer, Jack - I am a potential customer :-)

then the fact that you are complaining becomes even more bizarre!

Exactly, a major rule in retail and customer service industry: you deal with the CUSTOMER first, and the POTENTIAL CUSTOMER second. Nothing angers me more than when I am in the middle of a sale with an employee and they stop and answer the phone and interrupt my transaction. He who has the cash in hand gets dibs.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
This "sale" does go to illustrate how huge the mark-ups are on bikes though. They can afford to sell a ton of bikes at a big discount and still make a profit. Seeing the MSRP tags hanging off handlebars kinda makes you feel like a chump now.

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe someone's addressed this comment. It doesn't illustrate "huge" mark-ups. I as a matter of fact wasn't thrilled about the promotion, partly because people that don't know will make that same assumption you've made, and partly because Cervelo's product IS worth the full retail. I won't go into detail with as to how the promotion works on our end, however if I don't take advantage of it then we'll miss out on some bikes upsetting some customers at the same time. As a dealer, you have to participate in part because other dealers are participating...
Last edited by: Andres@Tribe: Dec 23, 11 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Andres@Tribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Andres said.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Andres@Tribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I called him on that point above. He then went on to say that ir represents at least a 20-30% mark-up, as if that equates to "huge."

LOL!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's always interesting to me to hear the perspective of someone in the industry...

As a consumer, on a general level I like this deal since it gets product in our hands at prices below usual market value.

However, if I take a more objective, business approach, I think this deal undermines Cervelo's brand, conveys desperation and the impression that there's too much product in the pipeline that needs to be moved at firesale prices, and potentially undermines their future pricing structure and perceived value.

Looking at it from another angle, it's unlikely I can take advantage of this deal right now and as the current owner of an older Cervelo, it also undermines the used resale value of that product when I do upgrade it. (Probably not much if I don't try to sell it right away.)

But the folks at Cervelo are smart folks and presumably they've weighed the positives and negatives and the positives won out.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
It's always interesting to me to hear the perspective of someone in the industry...

But the folks at Cervelo are smart folks and presumably they've weighed the positives and negatives and the positives won out.

You raise some valid points... on that last one, I sure hope that's the case.
Last edited by: Andres@Tribe: Dec 23, 11 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't a cash grab for Cervelo. These bikes are already sold - this shows they actually HAVE cash to offer the rebates.

This is a way to clear inventory so that when the real bike buying season starts in Feb / March dealers will have lots of open-to-buy spots to bring in P5s and S5s.

Specialized did the exact same thing three years ago in the spring with the Road to the Tour promotion where they offered up to $1200 off S-Works bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andres, are you saying that the dealers have to eat the $2,000 and not cervelo?
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [r_mutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's saying that Cervelo eats the $2k and make it back when dealers restock with newer model bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newer models? most of the bikes in the showrooms atm are the 2012 bikes. they've been in stock since july. btw, i do know how the promotion "works on the dealer end" (as andres said), i just wasn't clear about who "loses" the $2,000.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [r_mutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New model p5; more of everything else. Whatever. It's more bikes sold. Get over the semantics, mutt.

The markup on all these bikes is ridiculous. I don't think anyone will believe that this sale is for charity. Even with a $2k discount the bikes are really expensive. Worth full retail? Depends on your definition of "worth". It's an easy sell on this website but all those people who think fancy pants bikes are excessively expensive are right.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
semantics is all we have on a forum where the written word is the only form of expression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:
He's saying that Cervelo eats the $2k and make it back when dealers restock with newer model bikes.

No, that's not what I said...

r_mutt wrote:
andres, are you saying that the dealers have to eat the $2,000 and not Cervelo?

Again, I don't want to get into the specifics. The promotion is a great way to get more Cervelo's out there, an awesome deal for consumers (one that I would certainly take advantage of), and I will continue to promote and honor at the store for its entirety. My biggest regret with the promotion is that the product is being devalued when it doesn't need to be. Regardless of who's "eating the $2,000".
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, most companies will honor a sale price if you bought within 30 days of the sale price. I've benefitted from this on multiple occasions. With Apple IPod, HP laptop, and Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:

My understanding is that the LBS gets an R5 frame set instead of the $2000. The problem is that hardly anyone buys R5 frames. Building them will bring the cost up to the same as a complete bike so there's no upside for the LBS. They dump bikes people buy and get stuck with bikes people don't buy so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:
New model p5; more of everything else. Whatever. It's more bikes sold. Get over the semantics, mutt.

The markup on all these bikes is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, Chuck but you have no idea what you are talking about. I worked in the industry for 10 years and I can tell you that the markups on bikes is nowhere what people think they are.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My understanding is that the LBS gets an R5 frame set instead of the $2000. The problem is that hardly anyone buys R5 frames. Building them will bring the cost up to the same as a complete bike so there's no upside for the LBS. They dump bikes people buy and get stuck with bikes people don't buy so much"

you are correct about this one. ebay will be flooded with R5 frames that the LBS can't sell otherwise. or you will be able to buy an R5 for peanuts.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish this deal did work on framesets. I'd be all over it since I like building my own bikes. The complete bike thing kills it for me though.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I wish this deal did work on framesets. I'd be all over it since I like building my own bikes. The complete bike thing kills it for me though.

Part it out, sell the stuff you don't want and use the cash / savings to buy the stuff you do want.

Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Part it out, sell the stuff you don't want and use the cash / savings to buy the stuff you do want.

Thats a pretty big pain in the neck, and I'd still be high on what I would spend right now on a frame. Oh well I can wait not like i'm biking outside right now anyways
Quote Reply
Re: The "I bought a Cervelo 2 weeks ago and am p*ssed about the $2000 off deal" thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So set us all straight - what are the mark-ups from actual cost to the retailer and manufacturer? If they aren't very big then I don't see any reason for the industry folks chiming in here not to be open and honest with us customers. I have no problem with a business making a fair profit.

Power13 wrote:

I'm sorry, Chuck but you have no idea what you are talking about. I worked in the industry for 10 years and I can tell you that the markups on bikes is nowhere what people think they are.
Quote Reply

Prev Next