Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic)
Quote | Reply
Got it from a friend, haven't seen it anywhere else. Looks similar to the HED V04 frames, from the seat clamp down to the fork.

Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a string a few weeks ago re: the same thing, i.e., the similarities in product offerings between this company, Planet X, and HED. I believe Planet X responded directly indicating that their frame, from idea to production, came first with HED following suit much later.
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idea to production? what do they mean idea?
wishbone seatstays? aero tubing? cut seat tube? carbon?

nice bike, but give me a break; there's not a unique idea in that frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It certainly needs some further refinement but the firm seems to have come a long way. Give them some time, I'm sure they'll bring something more advanced out sooner or later.....

It goes to show that by using far eastern manufacturing and keeping things simple you can offer something to the consumer thats cost effective and attractive. This is cheaper than the Hed and is a lot of bang for the buck. Would I buy one ? No. Would I if I was starting out ? Possibly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this bike will be ST approved. There are spacers and the space between the rear wheel and the seat tube looks a little wide. I don't know how Spencer will be able to make it go fast :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe one of the Planet X guys designed the frame then through the UK HED distributer, Hed ask if they could use it. Then Planet X started to sell the frame (though there may be slight differences to the Design they sold to Hed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does it have world champion rainbow striping?
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a former World Champion. Can't recall the year he won.
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It certainly needs some further refinement but the firm seems to have come a long way. Give them some time, I'm sure they'll bring something more advanced out sooner or later.....

It goes to show that by using far eastern manufacturing and keeping things simple you can offer something to the consumer thats cost effective and attractive. This is cheaper than the Hed and is a lot of bang for the buck. Would I buy one ? No. Would I if I was starting out ? Possibly.

They are definitely getting closer..

Here is a new frame they are working on.. it really looks like it is going to be a contender..

i think they have some tweaking to do but it should be available in the summer. (i think)

am watching their progress on this frame closely :)
Last edited by: milkywaye: Mar 24, 06 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Courtesy of a Slowtwitch Interview:

"...Smith, three-time former World Champion and arguably the most celebrated ITU men's racer in the world..."
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that new design sure is purty...

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE SPACERS!!! THIS GUY MUST BE SUCH A HACK!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think they have put the name "Planet X" on the bike enough times!
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Spencer is a fan of Aluminum bikes, so his decision as a Planet X athlete to ride the Stealth instead of the current carbon Chrono makes sense.

As for the new bike....I think that looks great, and look forward to seeing the final product.
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [kilowatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think Spencer is a fan of Aluminum bikes, so his decision as a Planet X athlete to ride the Stealth instead of the current carbon Chrono makes sense.

As for the new bike....I think that looks great, and look forward to seeing the final product.[/reply]

have been following all this over on TriTalk and he will be trying out the carbon model shown as soon as it is ready..

i think he is getting a version in the next few weeks
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [dwindrim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I CAN'T AGREE MORE. Here's my 20 second soap-box...

Everything from the new Zipp wheels with huge ZIPP...ZIPP...ZIPP to things like this...it's a bit tacky in my opinion. On my new Saber I peeled off some of the decals and I'm considering taking off all but the main decal on the downtube. There's something innately beautiful about the simplicity of a nice frame. Have we become such a desensitized/ADHD society that we must be remined every second what brand it is?

Okay...I feel better :-)

SunnyD
Last edited by: UNC_Tri_Guy: Mar 24, 06 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing Spencer Smith is getting paid a bit more to ride his bike with all of the logos than you are to ride yours! We'll just see how fast the new Saber goes tomorrow in the cold rain :)

As for an ADHD society, it's all about video games and how they're killing the youth of America.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [dwindrim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think I'll call planet-x today and ask them specific questions regarding the aerodynamics of their "Planet X Pro Carbon 50" wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look identical to the Fetish Carbon 50mm wheels I bought last fall. Could very well be the same hoop, different stickers

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand. Isn't this just a HED rebadged with Planet X decals? Not sure what qualifies an aluminum bike to be "PRO CARBON"...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GeeForces [ In reply to ]
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [GeeForces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Isn't this just a HED rebadged with Planet X decals?"

The Hed frame and planet X framest have both evolved out of the same prototyping that was developed firstly in the UK by planet x and its team riders , with input from the planet x team including 9 time BBAR (British best all rounder) Kevin Dawson (holder of UK comp record 100 mile record in 3-22) .

The frames are obviously very similar as they evolved from the same starting point . The Planet X frame has a steeper seat angle , 75.5-76 degree seat (I beleve Hed is 73 ish) and the seatclamp extension is a few cm lower .
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He's a former World Champion. Can't recall the year he won."

he won three WCs, one as a junior, and then twice overall.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Spencer's Planet-X (bike pic) [planetx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the only Planet X in Hawaii last year, & i love it. Ask dan empfield what he thinks,( i had less spacers).
Quote Reply

Prev Next