Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
those who said "yes" to this, can you describe your bike, and the experience? specifically:

1. what kind and size of bike?
2. what's the front end config? stem length, # of spacers, and if a tri bike than the aerobar type
3. what were you doing when it happened?

1. Cervelo S5 58cm (2012)
2. 140mm/-17. What spacers?
3. It's not a one time event but almost any descent long enough to raise the speed to ~60kmh without pedalling. It could be just me but the front end is really nervous. Not the nicest bike in Tenerife...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately i don't have it with me today (though it was a lovely day to have ridden to work!) if you can work it out from the picture that's the best I can do at the moment.

The stem i know is a 10cm Bontrager standard one (flipped as i'm not that flexible at the moment, so it's at +7 degrees)

The carbon spacer I do know is 3mm, and I presume the others are 10mm? No idea on the overall head size though - i'll try and measure it later....

http://www.tritriagain.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. what kind and size of bike?: 54cm KHS Flite Team
2. what's the front end config? stem length, # of spacers, and if a tri bike than the aerobar type: 120mm -6 stem, 15mm HS cap, no spacers
3. what were you doing when it happened?: Descending at roughly 40mph, road surface was moderately rough. This was the only time I've ever had wobbles on any bike, at any speed. I routinely hit mid 50s on this bike, the only thing I can think of that was different was that I installed slightly wider tires than I normally run. Clamping the top tube with my knees while lightly applying the brakes took care of the problem...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had speed wobble 4 times, and on 4 different bikes (53 cm round tube steel Masi Gran Criterium, 53 cm round tube Titus titanium, 1999 52 cm Kestrel Airfoil with early version of the Zipp 404s, Reynolds Aero fork, 100 mm built in stem on Profile Carbon x bars with 2cm of spacers, and 2012 52 cm BH Aero with 60 mm stem, no spacers, and first-generation HED one-piece aero bars). The bikes have been different, but the conditions are always the same: Speed over 40 mph (descending, of course, always on a straight descent, sometimes with cross-winds sometimes not), "unsmooth" or "bumpy" pavement, and light weight rider (me, 140 lbs). With the steel and titanium bike, the wobble cam under control once the speed dropped back under 35 mph or so, but with both carbon tri bikes the oscillation kept going until I go the speed down to about 12 mph. Used the "knee squeeze" technique and a lot of praying in each case to survive the wobble......
The combination of speed and bumpy surface seem to be the trigger for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
codygo wrote:
It's a bit silly to say that an instability has nothing to do with natural frequencies and is due to a bifurcation.

A bifurcation is math-speak for a 'forking' of the solutions of a system as a function of certain parameters, and within this function lies some natural frequncies inherent to the system. The complex conjugate pair comes from underdamped solutions of a system, since the discriminant is less than 0.

In airplanes you get coupling between roll and yaw resulting in certain instabilities of various magnitudes, and you can also have what's called pilot induced oscillations, where some delay in reaction and overshooting response creates the instability. In cycling, there may be both contributions in any given case of 'speed wobbles'. I would suspect rider delays in balance in response to some lateral road disturbance as the main culprit though.

Bifurcation does appear to be a better description of the phenomon than resonance. If speed wobble is a resonance, then it would happen at a variety of speeds if the bumps in the road were at a certain frequency. And it would also go away when you went even faster. But there are people that experience consistently at a certain speed no matter the road surface and also it just gets worse and worse as speed increases.

Now just like aerodymanic flutter, the stiffness and mass affect when it occurs even though it is not resonance. Also the riders inputs affect it, since a a large input near the critical speed will cause it to appear at a lower speed, once again showing the difference from resonance.

I want to clarify that all bifurcations that result in oscillations exhibit resonance, but not all resonance is the result of a bifurcation. A non-resonating bifurcation would be a system that has several stable solutions; a stalled airfoil may have a stable, lower, lift coefficient that requires a lower angle of attack than initiated the stall to reattach. An example of a resonance that does not arise from bifurcation is a simple pendulum.

The example you give of a rider and road frequencies is not valid because it assumes that only forcing frequencies that match a natural frequency can initiate oscillations. A disturbance need only exist to destabilize a system and that system can oscillate about a stable mean with constant, growing, or decaying amplitude.

As a model that assumes the rider's hand's aren't directly creating the destabilizing steering response, this would mean that the rider's torso behaves as a damped upside-down pendulum that is cantilevered over the front tube and pivoted at the seat. This is more accurate the less input there is from the rider to the cockpit. In a limit, assuming a very stiff rider with no hands on the cockpit, there will be no phase difference from top tube to rider torso and the rider will follow a yawed path into the ground. Once the rider's torso is free to respond to a disturbance, the cyclist-bicycle system may oscillate.

Slowman's article states that we don't really know the cause of "speed wobble," but vehicle dynamics theory is advanced enough to tackle the problem for the cyclist-bicycle system with rigor. I'm sure this stuff is out in journals or books for motorcycle vehicle dynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just experienced my first speed wobble yesterday.

1. 2015 Felt DA
2. Felt alloy bayonet 2 bar with 3t ski bend extensions
3. Descending on a fairly regular route that I ride, but this time was my first ride on race wheels with 20-25mph gusts. I was demoing a set of 404's and it seemed like the wind couldn't decided which side of the wheel it wanted to take. The gust shot straight up the hill as I was descending. I was ready for it to happen but didn't expect it to be so violent. I went right for the rear brake and that seemed to do the trick.

marceves.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [skiermarc127] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fortunately, you know what to change in the system to make the problem go away. and you found out before having to purchase it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get the speed wobble with my 51cm cervelo on fast descents. I never figured out what caused it but I can say that the same thing happened with a motorcycle I had where I changed the triple trees and altered the rake and trail. So I wonder if positioning and stem angle had something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [cannedham1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wrote about speed wobble recently. in my own experiments it's not trail or steering axis related. it's mostly stiffness (specifically the lack thereof) related. stiffness of the system.

one aggravating element is a mass cantilevered away from or above the frame. this makes me wonder whether the fulcrum about which the bike vibrates is not in one place (steering axis, seat tube) as a lot of folks have speculated, but whether the fulcrum changes based on the offending element you add that contributes to the vibration. but i don't know. just, i've ridden bikes with very low trail numbers that do not vibrate at high speed, or any speed, because the system is so stiff.

you mention it was a cervelo that wobbled and, ironically, it's a cervelo (R3) that i used to conduct tests on how small the trail could be and still have the bike be absolutely reliable and wobble free at any speed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. what kind and size of bike?
colnago C40 (scarey wobble thought I was going down) and moda echo (minor wobble, stiifer bike) same place.

2. what's the front end config? stem length, # of spacers, and if a tri bike than the aerobar type
3. what were you doing when it happened?

I was gong down the same scarey descent
common factor was a side/tail wind and heavy breaking at speed >40mph
I have gone down fast descents with the C40 at over 50mph but more relaxed and no breaking, The yorkshire dales are frightening/dangerous at times
There where people passing me at what must have been 60mph no wobbles from them. I can only say the wobble is due to the wind and heavy braking causing resonance.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In both the Dales and Peaks I have had issues with wobbles in moderate to high winds on both a Tri (spec Transition) and road (spe Amira) bike when riding with 40mm carbon fairing wheels but not with standard training wheels. I think this is because in windy conditions the carbon wheels place additional force both out front and behind the rider+bike system, roughly analogous to placing lots of weight far infront or behind the rider. Adding force in these areas seems to help overcome the stiffness of the frame and allow the resonance to build. I suspect that braking can make things worse because the localized force of the brake pads further destabilizes force distribution across the wheels/system which can amplify the dominant resonance. I imagine some of the benefits of increased frame stiffness have been lost by the proliferation of aero-carbon wheels introducing another pivot point on resonance in the system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott plasma 10
90mm stem
1cm spacer

Second time but last time was 20 years ago. 40mph downhill, I was sitting up, enter an open area with crosswind and the death wobble started. Had on a set of Chinese 60mm carbon clinchers that I only have a few rides on. Older style V shape not the wider U shape. Older tires as well. Scary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek speed concept XL
Tall stem
It’s happened on ZIPP 808 and bontraeger Aeolus 9 wheelsets
It’s happened 3 times and definitely a death wobble. Thought I was going to die. Only happens above 40 mph usually around 45 when out on the bull horns with my hands on the brakes. Coming downhill if I catch a crosswind. Now I feel like I anticipate it and can brake and ride it out, but still scary as hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [Tjfortuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tjfortuna wrote:
Trek speed concept XL
Tall stem
It’s happened on ZIPP 808 and bontraeger Aeolus 9 wheelsets
It’s happened 3 times and definitely a death wobble. Thought I was going to die. Only happens above 40 mph usually around 45 when out on the bull horns with my hands on the brakes. Coming downhill if I catch a crosswind. Now I feel like I anticipate it and can brake and ride it out, but still scary as hell.
You resurrected a super old thread, and the only reason I'm answering is to tell you that if your Speed Concept is having speed wobble it is almost surely because the stem attachment bolts and/or one of the steering axle bolts are loose. This is super dangerous so you need to fix it ASAP. See the Speed Concept service manual (page 7) for the torque specs. You need to take off the bars to get inside to tighten the bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
You flew through his jet stream? Hasn't Goose's death taught you anything?

Awesome post.😁
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
You flew through his jet stream? Hasn't Goose's death taught you anything?

*jet wash

https://getyarn.io/...ad-bfa8-087d4fe3c755

Sorry, but as a guy who watched that movie several hundred times growing up, this is an important distinction

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frost wrote:

1. Cervelo S5 58cm (2012)
2. 140mm/-17. What spacers?
3. It's not a one time event but almost any descent long enough to raise the speed to ~60kmh without pedalling. It could be just me but the front end is really nervous. Not the nicest bike in Tenerife...

I had the same experience on almost the exact same setup, 2012 S5 VWDs in both 58cm and 56cm. 130mm stem on the 58, 140mm stem on the 56. No spacers. -17.

That bike was really bad in high speed crosswind descents. I switched from the S5 to a 2014 EVO High-Mod and moved everything over from the S5, including wheels. Duplicated positions. Speed wobble went away. I have 19K miles on the EVO and zero speed wobbles. So while there would be some subtle confounding factors at work, I feel fairly confident that the S5 was just susceptible to speed wobble/shimmy.

Specifically, I think it was the flexy head tube that was primarily to blame. It was super skinny and felt "flexy" to me. Sure enough, when the next version of the S5 came out, the first thing Cervelo touted was the stiffer head tube! Maybe if Damon's NDA is expired, he can finally come on here and say, "Yes, OK, I will admit it, the flexy head tube was the REAL reason that our pro riders wouldn't ride the old S5 on mountain stages"

:-)

Here are three examples I caught on video:

This one happens at 0:41:
https://vimeo.com/42816611

This one is shorter, happens at 2:00:
https://vimeo.com/50805571

This one happens at 13:30:
https://vimeo.com/78044849

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 26, 17 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you mention it was a cervelo that wobbled and, ironically, it's a cervelo (R3) that i used to conduct tests on how small the trail could be and still have the bike be absolutely reliable and wobble free at any speed.

At the time I was running the 2012 S5 and getting lots of shimmy/wobble, I had a 2012 R5 that was set up identically (this was easy enough to do as the bikes shared geometry). Zero shimmy/wobble on the R5. Which supported my theory that it was all due to the noodly S5 head tube/front end. The R5 was rock solid.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!! I will check that immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

Did you use any particular technique to stop these wobbles whilst they were happening? I have read getting up out of the seat, and also putting your knee against the frame are good ways to stop it, but as you have had it happen three times it would be good to hear if you had any tips?
Last edited by: joesullivan66: Sep 26, 17 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [Tjfortuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a couple of speed wobbles last year and traced it back to the skewer. Specifically, I would get a speed wobble on my bontrager wheel set if my zipp aero QR skewer wasn't clamped super tight.

Never an issue with the OEM skewer on the bontragers. I also haven't been able to duplicate it with the zipp skewer on another carbon wheel set, not that I am trying to induce a death wobble....

Something to consider.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [joesullivan66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joesullivan66 wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Did you use any particular technique to stop these wobbles whilst they were happening? I have read getting up out of the seat, and also putting your knee against the frame are good ways to stop it, but as you have had it happen three times it would be good to hear if you had any tips?
I've had speed wobbles a few times. Mostly fairly minor. Once or twice more severe. Once on a Ridley Orion rental bike descending Mount Teide in Tenerife. Others on my Canyon Ultimate CF SL on various descents, typically with slightly uneven road surfaces and doing speeds between 60km/h and 80km/h. A knee to the top tube generally damps it quite quickly. I've never needed to slow down that I can remember.
It seems fairly clear to me that the cause is simply a positive feedback from the rider in response to an initial perturbation. The bike is disturbed to the right, the rider is left behind and this causes a slight pull to the right handlebar. The rider corrects but the pull on the handlebar has increased the amplitude of the movement at the front end, ensuring that the rider cannot coordinate the correction accurately and the bike swings back the opposite direction with a similar positive feedback so that the amplitude of oscillation is maintained or increased. Bracing against the top tube removes much or all of the coupling between the bike movement and the positive feedback due to rider movement and the oscillation subsides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was doing 40-50mph down a long straight hill in yorkshire. scared me to death almost literally. I had no control of the bike and for 20-30 secs I thought I was going down flat on my face. The only saviour was that the road was long and straight if i had to negotiate any bends I was a gonner. It was terrifying. as the grade subsided from 20-25% to around 10-15% I mustve slowed a bit and the wobble stopped.
There may have been a cross wind and I was riding a colnago C40 10cm stem it was the first time and last I had experienced it with this bike even though I have gone 50mph on it before.

I suspect the wobble had something to do with the cross wind (wheels I cant remember exactly but they where nothing special low rim alu )
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do anything to try and stop it? Braking, bracing the top tube with your knee, etc....?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed wobble on your carbon bike [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Did you do anything to try and stop it? Braking, bracing the top tube with your knee, etc....?

Wobble was very common on all the bikes with the same size of headset bearings, that means almost all the old bikes are experiencing it, old Cervelo S5 were notorious.

It was fixed on all the new bikes by having 2 different size headset bearings, the bigger the difference in size the less chance of getting the speed wobble.

To stop the wobble, simply stand on the pedals, quick stand off the saddle stops it instantaneously.
Quote Reply

Prev Next