Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Retiring to the Best Triathlon City
Quote | Reply
I am certain that are previous threads on this, but also know thoughts on this change.

If were able to retire today and move to any city in the US, and your main criteria was a city that is "triathlon friendly", where would that be?

-pool access/ open water options (50 meter pools, etc)
-great (safe) running and cycling routes
-great restaurants, bike shops, etc
-fit community overall

Appreciate the thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [goblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best tri city anywhere in the world is where your friends and family are. At some point you will beunable to do tri (I said this a long time ago)....computrainer/Kickr, treadmill and pool access and you can be a triathlete anywhere you want. Just get on a plane or drive if your place isn't ideal...it's as good as you make it. Personally, I live in an awesome city to be an athlete. I have a 6 foot wide bike lane on my street that connects me up to 100's of K of riding, trail running 200m from my front door and a pool that is open 14 hours per day for lane swim 17 min jog from home or 7 min jog from work. But that's just a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Dev, this is where different people differ. If I were moving, my first question would be whether it snows or not. If it does, scratch it from the list! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Well Dev, this is where different people differ. If I were moving, my first question would be whether it snows or not. If it does, scratch it from the list! :)

there is winter tri. xc ski, bike, snow shoe run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best triathlon city in the World is Boulder. But seriously, don't come here. We already have literelly thousands of people coming here every year. Most of you can't afford living here anyway. Just stay wherever you live, it works just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a UVA grad, I'm definitely biased, but I'd say Charlottesville meets all those criteria.
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

there is winter tri. xc ski, bike, snow shoe run

MADNESS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to agree with Boulder. It is absolutely beautiful and has access to all the things you mentioned. Great roads for riding, awesome run trails, plenty of races held locally, plenty of bike shops... The list goes on. There is a reason so many top pros head there to train as a home base.

I'll second the comment above that there is no way I could afford to live there though. House prices in that area are astronomical. So I'll continue to enjoy my trainer during the six month winters in Rochester, NY. It's a close second anyway...

Quote | Reply
Great feedback so far... perhaps Devs hits straight to the point. Would still like to hear about other cities too.

Other cities that have emerged in conversations I have had with others are Asheville NC, Bend OR, San Diego....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Madison. Yes it snows here in the winter, but the community is top notch. The riding is great, downtown Madison is alot of fun. The options are endless.

Ive lived in Asheville for 2 years. Riding is incredible, simply incredible. People are great, food is top notch... You can find pools at the YMCAs and other known gyms.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Jun 4, 16 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't think of a US city:)
Globally it would have to be either Phuket or Stellenbosch

Both cities have great triathlon communities, smaller than Boulder i would imagine but very close knit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in boulder, chamonix and other places but we're going to move to Nice at the end of this year / beginning of next.

There's a reason so many cyclists are based here; climate, terrain, community, city, facilities and its 60 mins from ok skiing and 3-4 hours from great skiing

That said if I were in the US I'd pick Boulder for similar reasons

I can't wait to leave the middle east
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw a vote out for Asheville, NC. I live just south of the city. Plenty of pools, nice lakes for OWS, nice road riding (I'm an outlier road bike rider in my community, most people who ride in our county ride MTB is Pisgah Forest and DuPont State Forest Parks). Road and trail running galore. 4 seasons with mild winter, just a taste of snow. Outstanding local Tri races in NC/SC through Setup Events. Accessible high quality medical care, vibrant local art scene. Lots of heathy restaurants and BBQ options if you need an off-diet night out. And numerous tasty microbreweries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri... most people (triathletes and roadies) ride on the parkway there in Asheville?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any place where it snows should automatically be off the list. I vote for Tampa. It's home to WTC, has great beaches, and is close to the Triathlon National Training Center in Clermont. And we have an abundance of races year round. The cost of living is very low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say anywhere in CA south of Santa Barbara to LA, skip LA county, then south orange county to north san diego county. Then from San Luis Obispo to south San Francisco Bay area, skip SF, then north of the golden gate up to sonoma. Stay near the coast and you really can't go wrong in any of these places, but most are pretty expensive, and there is of course some weather change south to north. But all give you the ocean with big mountains within a long ride away. Tons of pools and masters swimming, and trail running until you cannot see anymore. And a lot of training partners if you want, lots of clubs in these regions, or just go train in paradise by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't mention climate or COL. I'm guessing the first is important. Is the 2nd?
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Can't think of a US city:)
Globally it would have to be either Phuket or Stellenbosch

Both cities have great triathlon communities, smaller than Boulder i would imagine but very close knit

I love Phuket. I couldn't imagine training there in the heat though. I was there in May a few years ago, and it was very, very hot, and I love the heat. That and the motorists are insane, and when you get hit, I can't imagine the recourse to be very fair/effective. I was roadside when two scooters collided, and helped drag people/wreckage off the coastal road just north of Patong while my wife, a nurse, gave first aid to some of the injured people. Cops showed up, and it was interesting to watch how the law dealt with such scenarios, especially if you are foreign.

I live in Victoria, BC, Canada. It was good enough for Simon Whitfield, Brent McMahon, Peter Reid, Lori Bowden, and countless national teams as a home training base. It's certainly good enough for me =). Boulder can suck it!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Check out Madison. Yes it snows here in the winter, but the community is top notch. The riding is great, downtown Madison is alot of fun. The options are endless.

I live, train and race in Madison but it's too cold to be considered a great tri city. I literally wasn't acclimated to the heat until three weeks ago. Because it was cold up until then.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Tampa for my internship for the summer. I would absolutely disagree. The riding around here sucks.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder can suck it!

Gets an F for air quality.

http://www.lung.org/...olorado/boulder.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, I think your best Tri town for retirement would really be 2: Look for a winter base in the desert around Phoenix or Tucson, and a summer base in the mountains from Utah- west.

Then you can get a great climate all year and those two homes would cost less than one in southern CA.
Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I'm in Tampa for my internship for the summer. I would absolutely disagree. The riding around here sucks.

My MIL used to live just up the road in Clearwater.
FLA is f'n horrible - flat, overcrowded roads, no hills, no variety, insanely hot and humid summers.

I can almost kinda/sorta understand why old people do the snowbird thing there, to get away from harsh winters.
But I could never live there year-round.

Nobody has mentioned San Diego yet?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Retiring to the Best Triathlon City [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I've lived in boulder, chamonix and other places but we're going to move to Nice at the end of this year / beginning of next.

There's a reason so many cyclists are based here; climate, terrain, community, city, facilities and its 60 mins from ok skiing and 3-4 hours from great skiing

That said if I were in the US I'd pick Boulder for similar reasons

I can't wait to leave the middle east

Well if I was going to pick one, somewhere on the Cote d"Azur would be about perfect. I'm heading to Geneva and then Bourg d'Oisans area for some riding the the Hautes Alps on Monday. I'm going to head to Bormio to ride on Stelvio and Gavia later this year. As I said, you can have the best tri/cycling anywhere by getting on a plane if you really need to (and I have really amazing riding right out my front door.....this morning's ride was 100K, >1000m of vertical and 4 traffic lights and bike lanes or open roads the rest of the time and I live in a city with ~1 million). I could move to San Jose CA tomorrow, with my work, but then my real estate would cost me 5x what it costs here and university education for my son with be 25x the price....I can do a lot of tri stuff with the delta and retire around 10 years earlier by living where I am.

I think a lot of people get caught up trying to find the perfect place to live, when in realty the perfect place is what you make of it. Seriously, I can imagine living in NYC, Abuja, Mexico City, Hong Kong or London or Beijing and be in just as good shape as I am now.

This is also a reason we don't buy a second property. You just get tied to that one place and go there over and over and over....would rather spend money for variety and use the entire world as "home". But hey, if you are moving to Nice, I'll swing by and we can go ride the Col d'Eze up to La Tourbie ....one of may favourite rides before IM France:

If it is raining in Bourg D'Oisans next week, we might just drive down to the Cote d"Azur and ride there, do Ventoux and head home
Quote Reply

Prev Next