Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KellyNCollier wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
This year has been embarrassing for the loud contingent of female pros who have been arguing for 50 spots on the pier and equal prize purse, because they aren't even showing up to races to vie for same. Lake Placid was a flop. Vineman -- same story. Mont Tremblant was pretty bad. And the Rev3 events have been even worse, with only 5 female pros on the start list for Maine this weekend. Begs the question: why?

I actually appreciate you bringing up this topic, but your argumentative tone pretty much just made me roll my eyes and want to skip over this thread entirely. But for the sake of those saying women should participate more on this thread, I'll share my perspective. I think others have listed good reasons why the start lists for these late season IMs are light. If you're not going to Kona 2016, why do an IM that gives points towards 2016 Kona instead of one a month later for 2017 Kona points? I think in general, more men choose to take their pro card knowing they'll never be in contention to go to Kona as a pro. Seems like most women who take their pro card are working towards going to Kona, or else they'll stay and race as an AGer. Honestly, I think the whole system is fucked because Kona is the holy grail of everything.

To your other point about the Rev3 race. I am really pissed at pro women for that one. What a great opportunity Rev3 presented, how hard is it to show up and race an olympic? The Rev3 series is the only reason I'm planning to take my pro card next year (as long as it continues to exist...) because I feel like I've got to do everything I can to support these opportunities when they do come along. I don't care if you don't consider olympic distance your "thing" or if this race fits neatly into your season plan, pros (men or women) should make a point to show up to support the Rev3 series or quit complaining about the lack of prize money races! Hopefully this year was a building year, and maybe more pros will plan Rev3 into their seasons next year.

My (mostly male) cycling team planned a local circuit race with 2 totally separate women's races (usually we're crammed in with the master's or cat 5s) with awesome payouts. We have a decent amount of women locally, but could only get 4 women to come out for the cat 1/2/3 race. All season these women complain about not getting separate fields and not getting good payouts, then don't show up to support the events that offer these things because they aren't the "big deal" events of the summer. I can get all "rah rah women's rights!" when that's warranted, but sometimes I have to admit it's us women that aren't helping our own cause. Time to step up ladies!

Related to this KPR should simply be from Aug1 of year X to July 30 of year X+1. This would serve two positives. It would allow those not going to Kona to race from Aug 1 onwards accumulating points that would match some who are racing Kona THIS YEAR, noting that most racing Kona this year may not enter these events. It would level things out a bit in terms of points totals. It would help fill up races as a secondary outcome with more stacked pro fields. Some pros even planning to go to Kona local to some of these races might jump in to pad their totals for next year and a training day in and maybe a paycheque while maybe sandbagging the last 10 miles of the run to save it for Kona....kind of like pro sports teams who have already qualified for the playoffs doing a bunch of end of season games testing out new strategies and sitting out stars...if you are qualified early you have that option. You could take it a step further and have a Aug 1 to Dec 31st "season" and award 1/3 the slots by Dec 31st, then wipe the slate to zero and then Jan 1 to July 30th and award 2/3 the slots then. But this would not lock pros into a year long grind and away from other company's races so I don't think that would happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i see a failure building in this thread and that it is to be a pro female you have to race in 70.3 or longer. how about some ITU women chat it up in here? too bad good olympic distance series races get killed off in the USA easy. what about races like alcatraz, or out in europe? also why limit yourself just to tri and not single sport races? my wife is an amature and is winning cash at run races in mexico.... she wins 3000 pesos with an easy 1:30 while for me to get that much i need to run 1:10
Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 27, 16 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same story at Ironman Sweden last weekend. 1st place was 20k usd and only 5 pro women on the start line. They started first 15min ahead of the age groups in front of a pretty big audience and it just didn't look good. There are too many races but I can't understand why some of them don't take the chance when there's actually a pretty good prize purse offered. They can't help themselves sometimes it seems like.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i see a failure building in this thread and that it is to be a pro female you have to race in 70.3 or longer. how about some ITU women chat it up in here? too bad good olympic distance series races get killed off in the USA easy. what about races like alcatraz, or out in europe? also why limit yourself just to tri and not single sport races? my wife is an amature and is winning cash at run races in mexico.... she wins 3000 pesos with an easy 1:30 while for me to get that much i need to run 1:10

I THINK the entire context of this thread was related to long course racing and the lack of pro women at specific long course events. I believe women's fields are deep and well populated at ITU races. That's not the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
Same story at Ironman Sweden last weekend. 1st place was 20k usd and only 5 pro women on the start line. They started first 15min ahead of the age groups in front of a pretty big audience and it just didn't look good. There are too many races but I can't understand why some of them don't take the chance when there's actually a pretty good prize purse offered. They can't help themselves sometimes it seems like.

Bjorn, to me this says a few things:

1. Most pro triathletes are not in the sport to make money off the sport. They are in the sport of lifestyle. Competition, travel, fitness, camaraderie, meeting people from different parts of the world. Essentially all the reasons age groupers are in the sport. Many pros have given up lucrative financially rewarding careers at a desk for a short period in life to do this sport "as a pro"
  2. Given the above, qualifying for Kona as a pro is more important than the paycheque from an event that may or may not cover cost of doing that event. Maybe better to save it for later when the points count
  3. Pros will pick races the same way age groupers pick them. Is this somewhere I want to go? If I have to spend time and money to go somewhere, then when and where. How much is it going to cost me? Is it convenient for me to get to?

Given all of the above, maybe there are not enough pros left over for IM Kalmar given there is Frankfurt, Zurich, Maastricht, Roth, Copenhagen all in the physical and temporal vicinity to also go to. North America pros have Vineman, Whistler, Lake Placid, Tremblant in the same time, so unless they want a vacation to Sweden, they are not going to get on a plane to go that far and "race east" (which as you know is a bit of a nightmare on a short trip....racing west is easier).

Having said that, as Slowman pointed out, Prize money is not the biggest prize. Saying you are IM Kalmar champion or IM Tremblant champion can hopefully be leveraged for more sponsorship!
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not really that important it's hard to understand all the complaints about prize money. Kalmar was also a women pro only race and Copenhagen a male pro only race so they were not competing for the same field.(And I might add that Copenhagen had a pretty good male pro field the next day)

Regarding sponsorship money there are so many Ironman branded races these days that an Ironman win alone is worth a lot less in potential sponsorship money than winning 20k outright. The purse in Kalmar was big enough that it's mind blowing not more pros showed up imo.

Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
If it's not really that important it's hard to understand all the complaints about prize money. Kalmar was also a women pro only race and Copenhagen a male pro only race so they were not competing for the same field.(And I might add that Copenhagen had a pretty good male pro field the next day)

Regarding sponsorship money there are so many Ironman branded races these days that an Ironman win alone is worth a lot less in potential sponsorship money than winning 20k outright. The purse in Kalmar was big enough that it's mind blowing not more pros showed up imo.

Here is the problem. Let's take Daniela Ryf as an example. She chose Roth since it paid the most. Others could have thought the same way. Let's use Ryf again. She needed to validate for Kona. She could have waited for Kalmar, but what if she has a mechanical etc. So she goes to Zurich the weekend after Roth, but was also registered for Maastricht the following weekend."just in case". So there were pros that chose a race earlier with no road to Kona and good $$$ (Roth), or they chose a race that was earlier (Zurich/Maastricht) with less prize money with a road to Kona. Kalmar or Tremblant were "last minute" road to Kona paths and if you did not car about road to Kona "that much" the other races offered a better prize offering while still giving a sliver of hope to Kona.

Mary Beth Ellis is a good example of a last moment "road to Kona" athlete. She did Maastricht and Tremblant which put her over the top for Kona and she got decent prize money out of both. But how many are in that boat that they are good enough that the races are a certain paycheque. I don't think the pro women know "a priori" who will show up. There could be 5 at the start line, there could be 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if there are 5 women on the start line and the money is 7 deep it's a pretty certain pay check for anyone.. Regardless of they knowing the exact number of starters for an event, a race in late august with good prize money will always offer a very realistic chance for a payout compared to the earlier ones. And I'm not talking about the very top pros who can make good money in races like Roth. I'm talking about the ones just below that who actually don't really have the opportunity to fight for the real money in the biggest races. They have a better chance to make a decent earning in a race like Kalmar.

Not all of them can qualify or actually have a chance to make money back in Kona. Even if money is not the main driver it's still a necessity to keep the career going and continue that lifestyle which is why some choices in this regard really surprises me.

Last edited by: bjorn: Aug 28, 16 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
bjorn wrote:

Bjorn, to me this says a few things:

1. Most pro triathletes are not in the sport to make money off the sport. They are in the sport of lifestyle. Competition, travel, fitness, camaraderie, meeting people from different parts of the world. Essentially all the reasons age groupers are in the sport. Many pros have given up lucrative financially rewarding careers at a desk for a short period in life to do this sport "as a pro"
  2. Given the above, qualifying for Kona as a pro is more important than the paycheque from an event that may or may not cover cost of doing that event. Maybe better to save it for later when the points count
  3. Pros will pick races the same way age groupers pick them. Is this somewhere I want to go? If I have to spend time and money to go somewhere, then when and where. How much is it going to cost me? Is it convenient for me to get to?

Given all of the above, maybe there are not enough pros left over for IM Kalmar given there is Frankfurt, Zurich, Maastricht, Roth, Copenhagen all in the physical and temporal vicinity to also go to. North America pros have Vineman, Whistler, Lake Placid, Tremblant in the same time, so unless they want a vacation to Sweden, they are not going to get on a plane to go that far and "race east" (which as you know is a bit of a nightmare on a short trip....racing west is easier).

Having said that, as Slowman pointed out, Prize money is not the biggest prize. Saying you are IM Kalmar champion or IM Tremblant champion can hopefully be leveraged for more sponsorship!

I have a very different understanding of pro triathletes than the picture you are painting. I'd be surprised if they consider themselves in it for the lifestyle without concern for how they fund that lifestyle. The pros I raced with 10yrs ago were certainly concerned with prize money and attending events that covered their costs. Sponsorship and building your brand is also a bit part, but I don't see many people giving up prize money to gain sponsors.

The problem has been the same for years, and maybe even getting worse now. There are not enough female pros for the number of races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I THINK the entire context of this thread was related to long course racing and the lack of pro women at specific long course events. I believe women's fields are deep and well populated at ITU races. That's not the issue.

The Rev3 example is specifically related to an Olympic distance race, so this isn't completely about long course either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what needs to be done in effect, is open prize money to AG women, not pros only. i think it will bring more competition... say some local xc runner girl who also can swim... might get her hooked on tri and build pro fields up like that... pretty much how gwen got into it, most winning-est cash female past 3 years
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
what needs to be done in effect, is open prize money to AG women, not pros only. i think it will bring more competition... say some local xc runner girl who also can swim... might get her hooked on tri and build pro fields up like that... pretty much how gwen got into it, most winning-est cash female past 3 years

Why stop that idea at the women's field? Open it up to the men as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

So then they can earn prize money and still go to Kona as an amateur? Seems like that would be a good way to let everyone have cake and eat it too, but doesn't seem all that fair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i suppose then KPR system would be in place to determine if they start with the womens pro field. if not... they go to AG... but for prize contention only gun time of women would count... would make the pro's less likely to sand bag knowing they dont have a 5 min window to play with ... ex if pro female is doing 9:10 and amature female about to score 9:04,amature should get the prize. but also, this open prize money thing should be just an ironBrand thing... usat should allow this for all races
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
trail wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
. Not sure why it doesn't happen.

I have some pretty good ideas.

Strong, intelligent women, of which I suspect there are many among the pro set, can hold their own in public discourse, regardless of the audience.

And here we go again. Just after a few posts, it starts to get personal, and emotional, rather that everyone has a right an opinion, and should have the respect from others
to stay the high ground, but on ST, never, which is why so many do not post. They have better things to do then deal with bullies.

+1

As along time Slowtwitcher, I have certainly noticed that 2 kinds of people seem to have found ST lately

1. The easily offended ones. (I very rarely if ever, intend to offend but recently I've had several people take offence at some of my (thoughtful, fair and reasonable comments IMHO). I think the easily offended ones need to HTFU, like they do on the bike.
2. Haters seem to have jumped on the forum. People that start insulting the person they are responding to. Most hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard and that's a pussy thing to do if you ask me. Go ahead, attack the idea or point the person is making (politely, with reasoned counterpoints) but no need to insult the person. That's just childish and I for one don't think that belongs on a forum made up primarily of grown ups.

I liked the old ST better, but it's still good enough that I come here too often

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really embarrassing that you didn't check the prize-money for those races and realized that it's likely that not even the winner would break even if traveling from Europe, Oceania or North America.

Anyway, any more opinions on what you think women should be doing? All the pro women that read this forum (all 3 of them) are anxiously awaiting for your opinion and guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [Jordan45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
random aside: more money in random running races in rich countries. A 3.22 marathon netted the second placed female finisher about 14k dollars in january. I nearly fell off my chair when one of my collegues told me that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironman has now a list with currently registered pro atheltes so you have an better idea who will show up. dosnt mean that much but still if you use the latest race results and quaification deadlines you do get an fair idea.

devashish_paul wrote:
bjorn wrote:

Here is the problem. Let's take Daniela Ryf as an example. She chose Roth since it paid the most. Others could have thought the same way. Let's use Ryf again. She needed to validate for Kona. She could have waited for Kalmar, but what if she has a mechanical etc. So she goes to Zurich the weekend after Roth, but was also registered for Maastricht the following weekend."just in case". So there were pros that chose a race earlier with no road to Kona and good $$$ (Roth), or they chose a race that was earlier (Zurich/Maastricht) with less prize money with a road to Kona. Kalmar or Tremblant were "last minute" road to Kona paths and if you did not car about road to Kona "that much" the other races offered a better prize offering while still giving a sliver of hope to Kona.

Mary Beth Ellis is a good example of a last moment "road to Kona" athlete. She did Maastricht and Tremblant which put her over the top for Kona and she got decent prize money out of both. But how many are in that boat that they are good enough that the races are a certain paycheque. I don't think the pro women know "a priori" who will show up. There could be 5 at the start line, there could be 20.
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [Jordan45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew! I was hoping someone would give us guidance on what triathlon-related topics are okay to discuss on a triathlon-related message board! Hey, while you're at it maybe you could patronizingly underestimate the number of female pros that read the board? Oh, you did? Cool.

That game is easy to play.

Seriously though, I think the topic is perfectly reasonable for discussion - especially with the spotlight the 50 Women to Kona campaign has put on it. Your point about prize money is interesting for an actual conversation. OP listed Vineman, Lake Placid, Mont Tremblant and Rev 3 as examples. I can see that being very expensive for traveling from Oceania and Europe for one race, but why do you think travel from North America is too expensive? (add to this that many pros from other continents base themselves in North America)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:
Really embarrassing that you didn't check the prize-money for those races and realized that it's likely that not even the winner would break even if traveling from Europe, Oceania or North America.

Since you appear not to have read much of the thread, there are numerous other examples besides those I listed, at various distances, from various race companies, all over the world. Nobody has successfully delivered a similarly uncontested example from the male side (which should serve as a kind of control for the affordability issues you raise, no?).
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There are not enough female pros for the number of races.

On the flip side of that coin is that 8/10 men will take a pro card if they qualify for one. maybe, maybe 5/10 females will take their pro card. I'd be willing to be it is slightly <50%.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
Or, another angle-- it's an argument in favor OF 50 Women to Kona? After the first Kona cut in July, there were a handful of women still in the running for the final, second cut Kona slots and all of them raced one of those late July or August races. For any pro women NOT going to Kona but looking forward to possibly qualifying for 2017, it really didn't make a whole lot of sense to be racing in late July or August where the points would go towards 2016 KPR rankings and essentially be thrown away.

Obviously this is the same with men, but because only 35 women qualifying to Kona, the reality has been that for women not racing Kona this year, it'll very possibly take 3 Ironmans in the 2017 KPR season to amass enough points to get in. That's how it's played out the past couple years. As a female pro, I've seen a lot of my peers completely destroy themselves racing 3 Ironmans to qualify and then Kona on top of that-- many have lost full seasons afterwards due to injury/ fatigue/ burnout.

If Kona were on my mind for 2017, I wouldn't throw in a August Ironman just for the possibility of a paycheck and no 2017 points because I'd know I possibly had a whole bunch more Ironmans ahead of me starting in September. As it is, I AM one of the female pros who showed up to an August Ironman, but I have no desire to try to KQ next year, don't really even like the Ironman distance, but thought I should do one for "fun" and the possibility of a paycheck. I think a lot of my peers are more focused on Kona. (And a lot are also over in Australia getting ready for 70.3 Worlds)

But, I could be wrong.

It is too bad you do not have the option to use the points on a late-summer race for *either* a 2016 points or 2017 points qualification.
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
There are not enough female pros for the number of races.

On the flip side of that coin is that 8/10 men will take a pro card if they qualify for one. maybe, maybe 5/10 females will take their pro card. I'd be willing to be it is slightly <50%.

I think, for USAT at least, the standard is the same 8% or 3 races in a year top 3 amature. SO you need ot either be very fast or race a lot to become a female pro. With fewer races with prize money, it's a downward spiral as you need to travel more to become a pro to begin with.

So these races that are poorly attended might be great destinations, but they are outside of cost effective travel destinations for regional pros. Only the top pros with major sponsors can afford to attend.

If you want bigger pro fields, you need races located near population centers with large triathlon communities.

Or, federations need to change the elite qualification process somehow or require that elites race more to remain eligible unless they get an hardship exemption (injury, family illness, extreme poverty).

Maybe Ironman should consider paying out a appearance fee, but reduce the prize money to get large fields.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Really embarrassing attendance record from female pros at prize purse events... [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The entire idea of having a pro "class" for which you have to qualify and pay is foolish to begin with. The restrictions on prize money payouts on races are equally foolish. It is nothing but an attempt by a sports federation to maintain power and control. There is no special training that comes with a pro-card. We have pros who hardly even know how to change a flat. The pro-card thing does absolutely nothing for the sport.

It is not difficult to separate triathletes based on previous performance and send off elites first. Let races payout whatever prize money they want to whoever the finishes first.
Quote Reply

Prev Next