Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Questionable race results [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the results. I also noticed a guy in the 45-49 age group with a 8:49 bike time. He really needs to work
on his swim and run though since he was only able to finish 4th in that age group. His 17:51 run split really hurt
him and kept him off the podium.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Apr 20, 15 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He missed a lap... my guess and with the race organization I work with, the timers catch these things and will adjust hopefully before the awards. Super fast bike legs, world class 10K times after BOP swims and bikes, etc. If anything it is worth mentioning for process improvement for the organization and their timers.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

The question really is, why do you care? That race was originally a Try-a-Tri event that has slowly morphed into what it is today - a well run beginners race.

Why do you care that he cares? He cares because it directly effected him, you had to go out of your way to be effected by this.

Like others I wouldn't do anything. Actually I would go for a run.

Affected, and I don't care, he does, and that is misplaced in this race. As for money, seriously? What is the next complaint, that we didn't enforce the drafting rules? That people couldn't hold their lines on the bike? That there was a lot of blocking violations?

This race is so people can experience a triathlon without all the scary first time stuff like the ocean and open roads. It is so people can have fun. It isn't a place for the Slowtwitch mentality. Apparently the OP did understand that.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they give out awards at the end, or did people just go home after they were done and then the results were posted online? Based on post #26, it seems like the winner of your age group was not the only one who skipped a loop. So clearly the RD wasn't paying much attention to the splits.

So hence I'm curious if it was so low key that everyone just went home without any formal awards, or if there was an actual awards where times were posted/announced or anything. If the former, then I can see how it happened - it was so low key that no-one cared - possibly even the guys who skipped a loop (intentionally or unintentionally), but if the latter, then the RD should really pay more attention to the splits if he's going to go to the trouble of timing the race properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True story. Way back in the day I did an oly race in Waxahachie, Texas. The bike course was 4 loops of a roughly 10k circuit.

There was middle of the pack female triathlete from a nearby town who I was acquainted with also doing the event.
She ended up doing 3 laps instead of 4 but could not be convinced that she had short cutted the race.

She felt that somehow, in cycling she had gone from an18 mph rider to someone who could come close to breaking an
hour for a 40k, and that was in the early 80s.

It was really sort of funny, she even went out and bought a new bike that was more worthy of her new found cycling
greatness.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Apr 20, 15 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People miss laps by accident, or on purpose, all the time in these races.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting the RD know. Many of them will say thank you and correct it, some just don't care and won't respond.

The people questioning why you care are dicks, ignore them.

Email/call the RD, let them know about the suspect time. IF they care they will look into it and make sure the guy isn't a pro cyclist with 1 amputated leg and then fix it.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who the hell are you to judge me for thinking this race was expensive? You don't know anything about me, especially my financial situation. Any extra money I spend on anything tri related is a big deal for my family. But I love this sport and I have a supportive wife who wants me to spend this money so I can be happy and enjoy myself. Screw you for judging me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the RD didn't care about peoples' times he probably wouldn't have paid someone to keep track. And if he cared enough to pay someone, I think it is probably safe to assume he meant for it to be right.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

The question really is, why do you care? That race was originally a Try-a-Tri event that has slowly morphed into what it is today - a well run beginners race.

Why do you care that he cares? He cares because it directly effected him, you had to go out of your way to be effected by this.

Affected, and I don't care, he does, and that is misplaced in this race.

Okay, you don't care. You just have a passionate way of showing your indifference.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not some low key local race. It's organized by the biggest race company on Long Island. It's held at a swimming facility that has hosted the Goodwill Games and NCAA D1 national champs. The do give awards out at the end. I missed the awards ceremony because I had to get back home for something so I split immediately after transition opened, but I've done this race 4 other times and they always have an awards ceremony. There was a professional timing company that was able to give splits within 10 minutes of finishing on little print outs, like a receipt you receive at a store. This is very well organized and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks JackMott, I appreciate the support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
This is not some low key local race. It's organized by the biggest race company on Long Island. It's held at a swimming facility that has hosted the Goodwill Games and NCAA D1 national champs. The do give awards out at the end. I missed the awards ceremony because I had to get back home for something so I split immediately after transition opened, but I've done this race 4 other times and they always have an awards ceremony. There was a professional timing company that was able to give splits within 10 minutes of finishing on little print outs, like a receipt you receive at a store. This is very well organized and run.

Based on this, I would certainly email the RD. Also, if it's a sanctioned race, the difference between 2nd and 3rd could be the difference between qualifying for Nationals or not.

It's rather surprising that they would have a timing company that was that well kitted out (the only place I've seen the electronic individual result print outs before was at Nationals), and then fail to spot obvious course violations.

There is a try-a-tri series on the Jersey shore. They don't bother timing the race and tell you if you want your splits then you need to time yourself. There are no awards. This doesn't sound like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a similar incident at a local tri yesterday. There was only one pro in the race so I wasn't surprised to see him heading for the finish as I started the out and back run. About 5 minutes later I see 2nd place who doesn't look like he should be that far up in the race. The next 8-10 guys are all a lot younger and faster than 2nd place. It's a 3 lap bike so I figure he skipped a lap (happens all the time at this race). When I checked the results I see the winner averaged 24.3 MPH and 2nd place averaged 28.0. No one else was faster than the winner. I dropped a quick email to the race director and they said they would look into it. Even if it was an honest mistake, 2nd place should have realized something was wrong and talked to a race official.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Had a similar incident at a local tri yesterday. There was only one pro in the race so I wasn't surprised to see him heading for the finish as I started the out and back run. About 5 minutes later I see 2nd place who doesn't look like he should be that far up in the race. The next 8-10 guys are all a lot younger and faster than 2nd place. It's a 3 lap bike so I figure he skipped a lap (happens all the time at this race). When I checked the results I see the winner averaged 24.3 MPH and 2nd place averaged 28.0. No one else was faster than the winner. I dropped a quick email to the race director and they said they would look into it. Even if it was an honest mistake, 2nd place should have realized something was wrong and talked to a race official.

What race is this? I like to keep tabs on all the pros out there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

What race is this? I like to keep tabs on all the pros out there.

Los Angeles Tri Series #2 at Bonelli Park in San Dimas, Ca. I think the pro was a visiting German named Neef?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread shows that race results matter. Some of you out there don't seem to care, but most of us do care. I couldn't care less about awards, but I check the results from ever race I do. What we see here and in the thread about the woman who cheated in the marathon and in other race cheating threads, including Kona, is that the race management is not doing a good enough job of keeping the race results honest. Maybe they don't want a confrontation, or they just don't care.

Race directors should make it a policy, and announce it before the race, that if you are missing a split for any reason, you get no result. No matter if your chip didn't work, or it fell off, or the dog ate it, you're disqualified. They shouldn't wait for someone to feel like a creep for complaining about getting screwed in the results.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is more on the timing company than anything... the RD can address but the timers should have already caught this sort of thing. Seriously 30+MPH average?

These things are DQ's once they are flagged AFAIK in every race I've even seen it called on someone... mistake or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who was at the receiving end of someone cutting the course I would say something. I regret to this day that I didn't.

teichs42 wrote:
I feel like a douche for posting this, but wondering what other people think. Feel like this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy for searching.

First race of the season today. Super sprint with a pool swim (400m/6mile/2mile). Finished 3rd in my age group and PR'd by 3:28, so I'm super stoked with my result. It's the 4th time I've been 3rd in my age group at this race and the only podiums I've ever had.

I was just looking at the times and the guy who won my age group has a questionable bike time to me. It states he biked the 6 miles in 10:53 giving him an average of 33MPH. This seems absurdly fast. Only one other person in the top 30 broke 14 minutes and that guy was at 13:47 (26MPH) and I'll buy that. But 10:53!?! This seems like he skipped a loop on the 3 loop course.

Here's my dilemma...if he really did skip a loop, I actually came in 2nd AG and the guy who was 2nd actually won. Is it ridiculous or petty of me to bring it up to the RD?

And go...I'm prepared to be made fun of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if he made a deliberate attempt to cheat then he needs to be pulled up on it irrespective of whether it's the world champs or a community "lets TRYathlon" event.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...I just emailed the race company. Let's see what happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Well...I just emailed the race company. Let's see what happens

Good for you. You shouldn't have to stand back and accept it, even if the guy didn't cheat and just can't count to three. The timers and the race director don't see these things because they don't look for them, and they don't want to. As it is now, an anomaly in the results doesn't stand out. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to write a program that flags a result that doesn't seam right or that misses a timing mat. There's an opportunity for someone to write a ''correct results'' program here if enough people want it.

If they can give you your results on that little receipt right after the finish line. They can certainly do something to make sure that those results are fair and correct.

I got that results receipt at Kings Park 15k, it was really cool.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Naw, not possible. That would be a pro level performance and he would be well known in the area as an amazing time trialist.

If it means something to you, send it in. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Truth.
Local Pro racer here did a 2.2 TT (silly course, fast and fairly flat) in 4:24. He was going 30 mph and won the field. Someone would be a local hero stomping around @ 33 mph. Word spreads fast on that stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would have done the same thing....keep us posted on any developments!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I was scored in the wrong wave at a bike race last weekend. My time was 3 minutes faster than my Garmin. I hunted down the race director and told him about it, he wrote down my number but I don't think he ever did anything about it. I feel a little guilty about finishing 10th in my age group instead of 13th. I'm sure there will be some guy in my age group stalking this dirty cheater at my next race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next