Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For contrast, here's a duathlon that's always sold out that people lust after doing: http://www.redemptionrp.com/ERockDu

capped at 185 though.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will second that on Mansfield! (not just because I grew up there). Funny thing about any duathlons that happen to have a noticeable number of triathletes participating (such as LC nationals in Cary, NC this year)--I always notice a lot of drafting whereas in most other duathlons (and maybe partly because the numbers are smaller) I don't see any drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the comparison of duathlon to triathlon is not as bad as some think. Sure there are fewer duathlons, but lets face it, the sport of triathlon is really the sport of Ironman. If there was no WTC the entire sport of triathlon would look like duathlon. It is possible that Challenge would fill the void if WTC magically diappeared, but the real growth in tri that took place took place at the bucket list distances. Duathlon does not have a bucket list distance. Almost everyone knows what an Ironman is, and completing one is perceived to be quite an athletic achievement. Finishing AmZof is probably a much more signficant physical accomplishment than finishing IMFL, but no one in the office on Monday morning will know what you are talking about if you say you did AmZof. So I think Duathlon needs to find a niche with the existing multi sport market.

I do think it would be interesting for Challenge to step into this void and try to leverage what it does have into the duathlon market. They have already abandoned pure triathlon with their relays and aquabike. It would make perfect sense for them to build out 5-6 separate duathlons in some really cool places that do not have big swimmable water. This would draw some multi sport enthusiasts to the Challenge brand and may allow spill over into their existing tri products. But for these to work, they would have to be completely stand alone events and not just bolted on to existing triathlons, like they do with the relays and aquabikes.

So....dudes at Challenge-- run some duathlons in New Mexico, Montana, Iowa, Illinois, North Carolina, and New Hampshire. Make them tough (10k/100k/15k).
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We wish them luck.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not to scrutinize..."

If you look closely - posted phone number and mailing address seem to match up with 3 Disciplines. I picked up something in the spring that said that group was going to be involved in some fashion.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there only one price for registration? Is the cost per same regardless of the distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disappointed to receive email today that the Georgia 2014 event is cancelled so they can plan the 'Georgia 2015' event. I wish promoters well but this is builds mistrust when athletes buy travel reservations only to find the event has been cancelled. Experienced promoters pilot events, grow events and generally don't cancel excepting weather. Too bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [tompks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tompks wrote:
Disappointed to receive email today that the Georgia 2014 event is cancelled so they can plan the 'Georgia 2015' event. I wish promoters well but this is builds mistrust when athletes buy travel reservations only to find the event has been cancelled. Experienced promoters pilot events, grow events and generally don't cancel excepting weather. Too bad.

Ouch.. That is not good.. Not good at all.

I wonder if the Alabama folks will be getting a similar email very soon?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shocker. As I said in a previous post, the GA race is in my backyard and I had not heard anything about it until this thread came up. Without adequate promotion and more time it wasn't going to draw enough participants to cover their costs, even with their high fees. Lack of information on the bike course on the website just a few weeks out wasn't a good sign either. Hopefully they give it a better shot, and with lower fees, in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tate wrote:
No shocker. As I said in a previous post, the GA race is in my backyard and I had not heard anything about it until this thread came up. Without adequate promotion and more time it wasn't going to draw enough participants to cover their costs, even with their high fees. Lack of information on the bike course on the website just a few weeks out wasn't a good sign either. Hopefully they give it a better shot, and with lower fees, in 2015.

Yes to all this. That said, I would personally be keen to do the 2015 version if they have developed a track record of good events, but I still think they will again have problems with numbers if the entry fees are this high.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
posted phone number and mailing address seem to match up with 3 Disciplines

You are correct. 3D will be running many of the races.

I agree with many that they need to put a disproportionate amount of advertising, marketing and PR behind this or it's going to flop.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
tompks wrote:

Ouch.. That is not good.. Not good at all.

I wonder if the Alabama folks will be getting a similar email very soon?
I'll know soon enough, I guess. Too bad we just rented a house for the weekend.
12 of us are going down for fun, and I'm betting there will be much more fun if it gets canceled.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miami Man has offered a 1/2 iron distance duathlon for years at the same time as the tri. (1m/56m/13.1m) there are also several other long course events here on Fl. Maybe we are just lucky with the number of events here. That said, there are very few stand alone events. I've done Zofingen several times, and it is brutal. Hopefully PM works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
I am a total non swimmer and only do duathlons. I hope it takes off but in looking at their website I am not optimistic, not very polished. No way this site will attract recreational types, which
H will be necessary to get the total numbers needed. They need to really market this better and make the championship destinations. As it is, I don't see why people would travel and spend all the money to participate.

Curious why the lack of long distance duathlons ? Just the powerman and american zofingen for long distance.

In the mid-Atlantic region I can think of several long distance du's:

NJ Devilman Half Lite Du, Diamondman Half Iron Du www.piranha-sports.com

Bassman Spring Half Du, Bassman Fall Half Du www.citytri.com

Shoreman Half Du www.dqtridu.com

None of them are pulling in huge numbers but then neither is duathlon as a whole. Hopefully the PM series can help stir up some interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE: Enchanted Rock Du
Not coming back for 2015 Unfortunately
Brian at Redemption Racing emailed me that Park manager will no longer allow athletic events in the park
Last edited by: Kylebutler: Oct 15, 14 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kylebutler wrote:
RE: Enchanted Rock Du
Not coming back for 2015 Unfortunately
Brian at Redemption Racing emailed me that Park manager will no longer allow athletic events in the park

noooooooooo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone received their refund yet for PM Georgia? I haven't, nor have I received any communication about when to expect it!

Wish PM well, but a dismal start - Kalamazoo 2014 suddenly off the web site earlier this summer and Frankenmuth added but 2015; now Georgia cancelled. Kenosha would be fun but it is the same weekend as Duathlon Nationals in St Paul - seems silly to try to split a finite number of athletes between 2 big events .....
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [vtcurleygirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vtcurleygirl wrote:
Kenosha would be fun but it is the same weekend as Duathlon Nationals in St Paul - seems silly to try to split a finite number of athletes between 2 big events .....

Where did you see the date for du nats 2015? I looked all over but have not seen the set dates for any of the 2015 USAT National championships.
If it's June 7th, along with PM Wisco, that would be very disappointing.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen any dates yet either but heard from USAT that 2015 Du Nationals were going to be in early June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to tri but I will du as well from time to time. I like running so much better than swimming. However, looking at the Powerman website I'm really disappointed. The closest venue is the one in Florida and the run takes place on a racing track. Blech! Can't think of anything more boring or hot. The one in Alabama through the nature preserve sounds nice. I think that the choice of venue is so important if du wants to attract more participants. Du has to rebrand itself instead of saying it's triathlon's poor cousin or it is only there for people who can't swim. That makes it sound like a second choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Georgia cancelled 2014 [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
June 6, 2015 according to the fall issue of USAT magazine that arrived today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for PMFL when that was the 1st location added in 2014. It was initially scheduled for September but then was pushed to December to accommodate PMGA and PMAL. All of these races are/were 3 weeks apart and within 650 miles of one another. Not sure why PM is trying to squeeze them all in the same time frame and vicinity. Doubt that people would do all 3 of them.

When they announced the new date for PMFL, we were given the option for (1) a refund; (2) entry into the 2015 event; or (3) remain signed up for the new date.

I have yet to make my travel/hotel plans for PMFL for 2014 as I waiting to see if PMAL happens. Have also penciled in PMAZ but may train for something else just in case.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.powermanusa.org/Events/Powerman-Alabama/

Powerman Sprint - 5k run, 30k bike, 5k run
Powerman - 10k run, 60k bike, 10k run
Powerman Relay

http://www.powermanusa.org/...man-Florida/Powerman Sprint -
5k run, 30k bike, 5k run

http://www.powermanusa.org/...ts/Powerman-Arizona/
5k run, 30k bike, 5k run
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tate - I have been told by race directors that they have been informed not to be a part of this forum and it's not their place to be here. I disagree as you are correct the more information the better for everyone interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman - Increasing Duathlon availability! [fitful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitful wrote:
Tate - I have been told by race directors that they have been informed not to be a part of this forum and it's not their place to be here. I disagree as you are correct the more information the better for everyone interested.

I guess they sticking with not coming on here.
When this thread started I posted on their facebook page telling them there was good interest over at ST and they should pop in. say hi and maybe answer questions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next