Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"one of the rivets holding on the front mech hanger came loose"

you call that a failure? that's not a failure!

"head tube crack"

now THAT's a failure. that is sadly an eventual failure point of aluminum bikes with press-in headset cups. especially 7000-series aluminum bikes. i actually never saw one of ours fail. yours is the first i heard of it. but i own a bike built in the same style, and it cracked. the head tube cracked right where you press in the headset cup. bottom cup i think it was.

it wasn't really a failure, per se. you could still ride it. but i didn't like the idea. it had a lot of miles. i retired it. discretion the better part of valor.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been away all day enjoying the great outdoors and thought I'd check in on this thread. Not surprisingly it has blown up.

I went back to read the original post and I'm honestly baffled by the blowback. People definitely more annoyed by the messenger, his style, and his history, then by the actual content of the post. I honestly wonder if many people even read past the title.

The accusations of 'trolling' are also entertaining given the OP consistently starts some of the most oft-viewed/replied-to threads on here.
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you missed your co-workers post just above yours. Or have had too much to drink tonight.

This isn't the 90s, Dan. As much as you'd like it to be. The standards are much different. I find it incredible that I feel the need to explain that.

Are we through it? Because why? Because you said we are? Because you haven't heard of anyone getting seriously hurt?

And you feel good about the frame because you THINK you know where it was made? That sounds like a promising, rigorous...opinion.

Seems you and Jordan also have differing standards of proof. Thankfully. But hey just throw it over your shoulder and ride into the wind and we should be good eh?

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Dec 20, 16 20:05
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"one of the rivets holding on the front mech hanger came loose"

you call that a failure? that's not a failure! Well, you replaced the whole frame at no charge, so I guess I thought that was an admission of some sort, or maybe you were just being nice...?

"head tube crack"

now THAT's a failure. that is sadly an eventual failure point of aluminum bikes with press-in headset cups. especially 7000-series aluminum bikes. i actually never saw one of ours fail. yours is the first i heard of it. but i own a bike built in the same style, and it cracked. the head tube cracked right where you press in the headset cup. bottom cup i think it was. As for the Redstone, yup the crack is straight down the front from the top. Likely the result of the pressed-in headset as you suggest.

it wasn't really a failure, per se. you could still ride it. but i didn't like the idea. it had a lot of miles. i retired it. discretion the better part of valor.

I've used a jubilee clip around it just so it doesn't get too bad. It was interesting that it went there, after comparatively little use compared to the Kilo. But it did give up here in NZ, where the roads are rougher, so maybe that contributed...
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure we do (have different standards of proof). I'm very, very heavily colored by my time in motorsports. My boss at the race shop where I worked died on the track. Not because of the result of an engineering/design/maintenance flaw - it was the result of a bad decision by another driver, but nevertheless, the guy who I would say "trained" me had a long history in motorsports, and he was as rigorous as you'd expect. I spent a lot of time before races putting a wrench on every single nut/bolt/fastener in the car and marking them with a wax crayon. Because that's how we did things. It was incredibly mundane. Super boring work. But we operated with incredible thoroughness. And no one was ever hurt in a car that we put together. Until Bob died. Not "nothing serious." Not a scratch. Nothing Ever. I'm a natural pessimist. And working in auto racing made me even more so. And I tend to gravitate towards other pessimists.

One of my all-time favorite articles about engineering is this one: https://www.fastcompany.com/...ey-write-right-stuff

I'd be a bug finder. No doubt.

Dan, on the other hand, is an optimist. He's a code writer, as it were, in that analogy.

We're just wired differently in that way.

This whole topic is super important. Interesting that the thread on this: http://www.theage.com.au/...20161117-gss41s.html that you found here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed& ended after two pages...

What's interesting here is that a lot of people viewed the move to carbon steerer tubes - away from aluminum - as a potential weakening of the overall system. But, for something like a steerer tube, a WELL DESIGNED carbon steerer is PROBABLY better than a well designed aluminum one.

Steel, of course, would be the best. Except that you need to weld it. And the weld becomes a likely spot for failure.

The hard part here - and I get where Dan is coming from - is that it's easy to devolve into "the sky is falling" paranoia. At the same time, I do feel like the assumption that things are safe is maybe overly optimistic.

But, back to your post, you probably are not going to see Dan and I in agreement in this thread...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
kgro wrote:
CCF wrote:
I know better than to feed the trolls, I really do. But why should/would we care how a race bike performs on the trainer? Are a lot of people buying these bikes primarily for indoor use?

In the place where I live, Hong Kong, there aren't many places to ride a TT, so the majority of my training is done on turbo, hence this is a big deal for me. Pretty sure there are other reasons too. No need to dismiss the importance of the trainer.

Are there many triathlons in HK? Or do you just do the 70.3s that are in China?

There isn't much happening in Hong Kong - some sprints, nothing to write home about. However, there are plenty of things happening elsewhere in Asia and Hong Kongnese triathletes travel extensively.
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quotehttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...es-2015/rp-prod91471 Rappstar]I'm sure we do (have different standards of proof). I'm very, very heavily colored by my time in motorsports. My boss at the race shop where I worked died on the track. Not because of the result of an engineering/design/maintenance flaw - it was the result of a bad decision by another driver, but nevertheless, the guy who I would say "trained" me had a long history in motorsports, and he was as rigorous as you'd expect. I spent a lot of time before races putting a wrench on every single nut/bolt/fastener in the car and marking them with a wax crayon. Because that's how we did things. It was incredibly mundane. Super boring work. But we operated with incredible thoroughness. And no one was ever hurt in a car that we put together. Until Bob died. Not "nothing serious." Not a scratch. Nothing Ever. I'm a natural pessimist. And working in auto racing made me even more so. And I tend to gravitate towards other pessimists.

One of my all-time favorite articles about engineering is this one: https://www.fastcompany.com/...ey-write-right-stuff

I'd be a bug finder. No doubt.

Dan, on the other hand, is an optimist. He's a code writer, as it were, in that analogy.

We're just wired differently in that way.

This whole topic is super important. Interesting that the thread on this: http://www.theage.com.au/...20161117-gss41s.html that you found here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed& ended after two pages...

What's interesting here is that a lot of people viewed the move to carbon steerer tubes - away from aluminum - as a potential weakening of the overall system. But, for something like a steerer tube, a WELL DESIGNED carbon steerer is PROBABLY better than a well designed aluminum one.

Steel, of course, would be the best. Except that you need to weld it. And the weld becomes a likely spot for failure.

The hard part here - and I get where Dan is coming from - is that it's easy to devolve into "the sky is falling" paranoia. At the same time, I do feel like the assumption that things are safe is maybe overly optimistic.

But, back to your post, you probably are not going to see Dan and I in agreement in this thread...[/quote]You would make a good team though

The first part of this thread was very annoying
But it's turning into something good now.
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:
I'm a Ventum sponsored athlete, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That said, here are some facts:

1) The Ventum One is officially supported for trainer use, unlike some other brands on that list.

2) The Ventum One meets ISO standards which involve a far more stringent set of requirements and tests than the lesser CPSC/EN/EU standards. Again, this is unlike some other brands on that list.

3) Take a look at the tubes on a Ventum One. The cross-sections are ginormous, larger than almost any other conventionally designed tri bike I've seen. The design differs markedly from a regular tri bike with the downtube and seat stays lopped off. Given the amazing properties of carbon, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with z-frame or beam bikes, just some examples of poor execution so far.

FWIW, I've never experienced any noticeable stiffness or flex issues. I ride my Ventum on the trainer all the time, including workouts with max efforts sprints. I've also flown with my bike packed in an unpadded bag close to 20 times without any damage. In short, I've torture tested it. I've never even heard of a frame failure among the many other Ventum athletes I know, while I can't say the same about some of those other brands. The thing is built like a tank. By Ventum engineers' admission, it's significantly overbuilt with a huge safety factor, because they know that safety/QC issues could spell the end for a new company.

I'll work on getting a video of me cranking out some sprints on my Ventum on the trainer to show rear wheel deflection.

Cody, this is most definitely *not* intended as a criticism of the Ventum, more just an observation on your observation and - in particular - your travel methodology. The problem with this: "In short, I've torture tested it." is that the evidence of failure is often not present until it presents itself catastrophically. This is why the overwhelming majority of tests are to failure. Cycle counts are good, but forcing a product to fail typically teaches you more than "it survived X cycles."

I bring this up in particular to your "I've traveled in an unpadded case." This is just foolish. You should talk to Jimmy Seear about this, because he has some background in motorsports. A lot of the really in depth testing done in motorsports is x-ray or other advanced imaging to see *inside* of parts, because initial failures are very often invisible superficially.

That Ventum has not had a catastrophic failure in its first year is laudable and certainly is a testament to the hard work of Jimmy and his crew. But I always get nervous when I see someone talk about what I'd consider reckless behavior with the assertion that, "the bike is fine!" Having been a part of a motorsports team myself, I can promise you that nobody in the cycling industry maintains a similar level of thoroughness in terms comparable maintenance and ongoing testing. Largely because there is virtually nothing to reference against. Let's say you did track the number of hours or pedal strokes on a given frame. What would you compare that to? Likewise, motorsports is (marginally, IME) less thorough than the aviation world (though, having worked with people who came from aviation, they are pretty close).

But I think that your post really gets to the heart of the constructive part of this thread - what is the standard for reliability of frames? What should it be?

To me, your own personal experience of, "I treat my frame like shit and it's fine!" (paraphrasing here!) is not so different than, "I treated my frame like a baby and it broke."

To me, the real relevance is in talking about something like ISO testing. What do the ISO tests (plural) actually cover? Are they reasonable proxies for what happens in "the real world"? Which manufacturers use ISO testing for frames? Which do not? Are there any large manufacturers that use it? If so, why? Are there any large manufacturers who do not use it? If not, why not?

I think the merit in this thread is, "what reasonable steps should be taken to ensure a product is safe and reliable?" I think that's an important question. And this is not at all the first time in which I have engaged in discussions on this very topic.

Jordan, you raise some good points.

I would also put far more stock in testing/standards than my own anecdotal experience with the bike, which is why I mentioned that after the facts. I wouldn't for a second suggest that my own N=1 "torture test" of the Ventum is proof that the bike is safe and reliable. That's why they test. For the record, I don't go out of my way to abuse my Ventum, but simply riding and traveling so much subjects any bike to a lot of abuse.

Ideally there'd be a standard set of tests providing a rating for safety/reliability/durability adopted by all manufacturers. I was under the impression that ISO 4210-1:2014 and 4210-2:2015 represented the gold standard in this case as the most complete and rigorous set of tests. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and highlight any issues or shortcomings of those tests.

I can think of a few reasons why companies wouldn't meet ISO standards. First and foremost, customers don't demand it. If a bike's safety standard, or even better a simple safety rating (e.g., like Energy Star ratings on appliances), were listed next to the price tag, that would probably get people's attention. Some companies probably know their bike wouldn't meet the standards, based on internal testing. I've heard that it's next to impossible for beam bikes to pass one of the tests by virtue of their design. Is that fair? Does the test reasonably reflect real world riding conditions? No idea. External testing is also expensive. On top of the fees, quite a few frames/forks have to sacrificed in destructive tests. That's prohibitive for smaller companies. Finally, meeting the highest standards is not law. Different jurisdictions have their own patchwork of standards (CPSC/EN/EU) that companies must satisfy to sell there.

I disagree that traveling with an unpadded bike case is foolish or reckless. I transport my bike in a custom made heavy duty canvas bag, basically just an envelope with one zipper, no pockets and no padding. So do some family members and friends who helped design and create the case, who have also never had problems so far. A carefully packed and partially disassembled bike fits snugly in the case, nestled between the two wheels in padded wheel bags, which protect the frame. I put supports between the dropouts, remove the RD, wrap everything in foam, and strap the bars to the frame. The key thing is that the case is far smaller and lighter than a typical bike case. This makes it much easier to handle, and I think it's less abused by baggage handlers as a result. It's scarcely even oversized and doesn't have any markings indicating it's a bike, just a FRAGILE sign.

In fact, I think more substantial cases may offer a false sense of security. People don't tend to pack their bikes as carefully, trusting in their cases. In my experience, having previously owned other cases, how you pack the bike is the main determinant of how well it holds up, not the design of the case. Large, heavy cases (often crammed with other gear) are quite cumbersome and I think they get thrown around, dropped, etc. more often as a result.

Though, if I'm honest, my main interest in this case is that I can avoid bike/oversized baggage fees 95% of the time. With many airlines charging an exorbitant US$150-200 fee for bikes per flight, my budget is too tight to add thousands of dollars in fees per year.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
about 15 years ago, with a budget sufficient to buy a couple beers and some string, I dynamically/statically measured wheel deflection relative to the fork/rear triangle of a flexy flier mid 90's titanium frame:

http://biketechreview.com/...mance-bicycle-wheels

looks like maybe 2-3mm of lateral rim movement between the rear pads (on road) was typical based on the table in the article listed above.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

And the only way to resolve the two of your differences in point of view is to analyze that data. Then it is not paranoia or optimism, it is just the data.

The only method to gather "data" I have available to me is to stay abreast of problems reported on this and other forums. That method is admittedly imperfect, but it is the best I have.

Using that data, I see one manufacturer with significantly more quality issues related to, not just one but, several/most of their product offerings. When you dig a bit deeper and see poor customer service reports it leads me to conclude that that manufacturer doesn't have a great process for both quality and customer. It naturally leads me to questions how good his processes are for engineering and vetting out his contract manufacturers.

When he is making brakes, aerobars and now frames, the price of failure could be significant- injury or death. I am personally, based upon what data I have looked at, no longer willing to put my trust in his products or his processes. In fact, I removed my first generation Omega brakeset when the lever arm snapped on a ride last year and dealt with a less than good or quick customer service process first hand.

However, I, like Dan, like that Nick is in the marketplace- as a designer. I'm just not sure he has the whole manufacturing, quality control, customer service part figured out. It seems to me his cottage industry grew faster than his ability to scale up properly and safely.

I wished that Dan, as an industry expert, could have brought more than a Colin Kapernick story to the discussion and an "above my pay grade" comment on CPSC. Perhaps he could have relayed how he handled quality issues during his time as leader of QR. His further comments lead me to conclude he is a bit more caviler with product safety than many other people are or a manufacturer should be.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Ideally there'd be a standard set of tests providing a rating for safety/reliability/durability adopted by all manufacturers. I was under the impression that ISO 4210-1:2014 and 4210-2:2015 represented the gold standard in this case as the most complete and rigorous set of tests. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and highlight any issues or shortcomings of those tests.

I can think of a few reasons why companies wouldn't meet ISO standards. First and foremost, customers don't demand it. If a bike's safety standard, or even better a simple safety rating (e.g., like Energy Star ratings on appliances), were listed next to the price tag, that would probably get people's attention. Some companies probably know their bike wouldn't meet the standards, based on internal testing. I've heard that it's next to impossible for beam bikes to pass one of the tests by virtue of their design. Is that fair? Does the test reasonably reflect real world riding conditions? No idea. External testing is also expensive. On top of the fees, quite a few frames/forks have to sacrificed in destructive tests. That's prohibitive for smaller companies. Finally, meeting the highest standards is not law. Different jurisdictions have their own patchwork of standards (CPSC/EN/EU) that companies must satisfy to sell there.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I have been in the software industry for 20 years and have recently switched to a QA role for a company dedicated to testing software. So, this is intriguing.

Meeting the standards is good, but I would like to do something to compare bikes against one another. I am picturing a test bench with mounts for the various mount points on the frame/fork - front hub, rear hub, bottom bracket, steerer tube, saddle clamp. Depending on which test is being run, mount points are either made to be a stationary clamp point, or a place to apply a static load. Gauges could then be mounted at certain places for measurement. Adapters would be needed to accommodate various bottom bracket and hub/axle standards.

The loads could be standardized in a way where the testing doesn't have to take it to failure. For example, 50 pounds of downward force could be applied to the left side of the bottom bracket to simulate a pedal load and then the amount of flex could be measured at different points on the frame.

The measurements would be relative - as data is gathered over more bikes, more frames, more sizes, etc., it becomes more meaningful. Some math would have to be done - for example, if one bike has a 420 mm chainstay and another has a 400mm chainstay, it would be best to measure the amount of flex in degrees rather than mm so the numbers are comparable.

This type of testing could be very useful as consumer information and for manufacturer information. Quantified and standardized numbers start to mean something. How many times have you heard somebody say, "wow, I really like the <model x> - it's so stiff and handles so great!" or "it's so comfortable and forgiving - it's great for long rides!" I've heard of bikes that are too stiff. That all sounds nice, but it's very subjective. It would help inform buyers when comparing different options. If bike X has a stiffness of 10 and bike Y has a stiffness of 5, it doesn't necessarily mean bike X is better, but it might be what a particular buyer prefers based on their own personal experience. If they both fit the person's budget, taste, and body, it could provide another data point to drive their purchasing decision.

The test bench could be an open standard, too - if people know the specifications on how to build it, it could be built for independent testers, magazine reviewers, manufacturers, and others.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curios, did you install one of the "superforks" on those Dimonds?
Any issues there or unusual procedures?
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
The accusations of 'trolling' are also entertaining given the OP consistently starts some of the most oft-viewed/replied-to threads on here.

Such is the primary intent of trolling - stir the pot for no other reason that to insight emotions. Trump is a master at that craft.
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
Just curios, did you install one of the "superforks" on those Dimonds?
Any issues there or unusual procedures?
The "superfork" was the culprit in the situation where the race crown didn't fit in the frame symmetrically. There was a gap on one side that was plainly visible.

Dimond believed it wasn't a problem. We did, considering it means stress isn't distributed symmetrically on the fork.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For years, TOUR Magazin has non-destructively tested frames and forks. Here's how they do it.

http://tour-int.com/how-tour-tests/

These are defacto open test protocols, and TOUR's bike reviews over the years form a database against which any bike can be compared.

Of course TOUR tests are not the only protocols. National laws also govern, like ISO. Virtually every bike made meets or exceeds ISO because by law they must do so in order to be sold in big chunks of the global market.

Because even the cheapest crappy bikes pass ISO, most big companies go beyond those standards, even adding their own test protocols.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
For years, TOUR Magazin has non-destructively tested frames and forks. Here's how they do it.

http://tour-int.com/how-tour-tests/

These are defacto open test protocols, and TOUR's bike reviews over the years form a database against which any bike can be compared.

Of course TOUR tests are not the only protocols. National laws also govern, like ISO. Virtually every bike made meets or exceeds ISO because by law they must do so in order to be sold in big chunks of the global market.

Because even the cheapest crappy bikes pass ISO, most big companies go beyond those standards, even adding their own test protocols.

Cheers,
Damon

Damn it. That's a lot like what I had pictured in my head (although my mental drawing are considerably more crude). So much for having an original thought... lol

Their ride stability, lateral stiffness and comfort of the fork, power transmission, and frame comfort tests are all intriguing, and the stiffness test system for complete bikes hits the nail on the head for what I was thinking.

Is the TOUR database available to the public?

To go back to the intent of this thread, has TOUR tested any of the bikes in question?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

I agree with Damon with ISO testing. ISO is a globally recognized testing standard which some bike don't pass. Cervelo learnt some great lessons years ago with their carbon fork steerers. They then proceeded to conduct their own testing, developed new tests and released that information so other companies could learn from their experiences. That is why Cervelo is a great company. They shared knowledge to help make bikes safer.

One of the goals of all the destructive testing is to make sure the structure is strong, durable and safe. If you can test a frame to failure you do learn much more than if you put it through a range of tests and it doesn't break. I have seen not only our own frames but many other brands testing well and beyond the ISO standards.

The goal of any testing round is to destroy the frame, fork, handlebars, rims or what ever part you are testing at the time. This way you can see the weak point and then figure out why it broke and how to improve it.

How can we as an industry improve the testing standards. I have mentioned on ST forum before about the car industry and their testing standards. In Australia their is the ANCAP testing and cars get rated out of 5 stars. http://www.ancap.com.au/

The cycling industry needs to bring in a standard testing protocol that can assess every bicycle sold. Every bike can then be sold with a star rating and it is easy for the consumer to understand.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

To go back to the intent of this thread, has TOUR tested any of the bikes in question?

I would be happy to send frames over to be tested! I like the idea of each frame with a non-traditional design then can be compared to a traditional frame design.

I would also like to see some results that then compare the test results to rider feedback.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Cody, this is most definitely *not* intended as a criticism of the Ventum, more just an observation on your observation and - in particular - your travel methodology. The problem with this: "In short, I've torture tested it." is that the evidence of failure is often not present until it presents itself catastrophically. This is why the overwhelming majority of tests are to failure. Cycle counts are good, but forcing a product to fail typically teaches you more than "it survived X cycles."

Yup. That's the value of early HALT testing...you find the "weak points" and learn more about possible failure modes. Sometimes, depending on the absolute level of load it took to cause the failures, the lesson is "this thing is pretty damned tough!" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OP is a Chinese open mold comedian; delivering cheap and unoriginal content that hasn't undergone much in the way of development.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Such is the primary intent of trolling - stir the pot for no other reason that to insight emotions. Trump is a master at that craft.

v. incite To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate
n. insight Internal sight, mental vision or perception, discernment, understanding, intelligence, wisdom

(there was no insight in his original post)
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
The OP is a Chinese open mold comedian; delivering cheap and unoriginal content that hasn't undergone much in the way of development.

This is actually hysterical.

So far we've now got feedback from:

Rapp
Beals
Tom A
Damon Rinard
Jimmy Seear
Travis R
Trent Nix
Kraig Willet

Point me to a thread where you or Kay Serrar have created such productive dialogue.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - you just closed the loop and validated my grammatical "error" :)

Kay Serrar wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

Such is the primary intent of trolling - stir the pot for no other reason than to insight emotions. Trump is a master at that craft.

v. incite To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate
n. insight Internal sight, mental vision or perception, discernment, understanding, intelligence, wisdom

(there was no insight in his original post)
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Dec 21, 16 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

Back issues.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: P5-X, Ventum, Dimond, Falco, Reap owners -- please provide video evidence to show how structurally flawed, flimsy, and dangerous your frameset is [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Perhaps he could have relayed how he handled quality issues during his time as leader of QR. His further comments lead me to conclude he is a bit more caviler with product safety than many other people are or a manufacturer should be."

perhaps you could read what i've written on this site, such as the article linked to higher up on this thread, which details the testing by felt, a leader in frame testing. they built tools and designed tests that mimic the tools and tests built from scratch by me in our own U.S.-based bike factory.

i've built 2 factories, by hand, from scratch: a wetsuit factory and a bike factory. each had its own methodologies for testing. in 12 years as a bike maker i never had a claim, paid a dime, had a recall, made a settlement. so, perhaps write about what i've done, rather than what you think i might mean.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next