Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [p_spk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling that you aren't the best bike handler because your bike doesn't fit you properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I have a feeling that you aren't the best bike handler because your bike doesn't fit you properly.

Ha, this is good for my ego. Thanks.

Kidding aside, curious as to what you would change vs my current bike setup. And in the context of this thread: would the P3x size M be a better fit? Apart from the great advice from Eric already.
Last edited by: p_spk: Oct 8, 21 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [p_spk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p_spk wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Kidding aside, curious as to what you would change vs my current bike setup. And in the context of this thread: would the P3x size M be a better fit? Apart from the great advice from Eric already.

It’s a bike, not the lunar lander… you can ride it. Plenty of perfectly sized perfectly fit athletes leave my studio who can’t even drink from a bottle while riding.

Also not sure that a size M in the PX series even fits you.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 554mm and a Pad Reach of 452mm you are a size S in PX series or in the very lower right quadrant of a size 48cm P5d. To get on a 51cm you'd have to come up 5mm or so and be "slammed". Maxing out tilt will then bring you back down slightly.

Make sense?

Eric

Got it appreciate the advice, yeah it as I fear going to have to stick to searching for either a 48 P5D or small PX. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zinny wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

With a Pad Stack of 554mm and a Pad Reach of 452mm you are a size S in PX series or in the very lower right quadrant of a size 48cm P5d. To get on a 51cm you'd have to come up 5mm or so and be "slammed". Maxing out tilt will then bring you back down slightly.

Make sense?

Eric

Got it appreciate the advice, yeah it as I fear going to have to stick to searching for either a 48 P5D or small PX. Thanks!

Are 51cm P5d more available?

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

E[/quote]
well at least for now, I can still find a few vendors with them in stock, it seems like no one has a 48cm instock. With the current shortage situation from what a couple dealers tell me, new stock probably wont arrive till next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zinny wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
zinny wrote:

E

well at least for now, I can still find a few vendors with them in stock, it seems like no one has a 48cm in stock. With the current shortage situation from what a couple dealers tell me, new stock probably wont arrive till next year.

Yeah... that's a tough one. I think the 48cm would be better for you, and probably ever so slightly more aero in the configuration you need, but a 51cm would work assuming you use the tilt function, which it should come with and you should be using.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Yeah... that's a tough one. I think the 48cm would be better for you, and probably ever so slightly more aero in the configuration you need, but a 51cm would work assuming you use the tilt function, which it should come with and you should be using.

E

Really appreciate the fit advice, yeah those dealers were saying Q2 so April the earliest. With it being winter guess waiting it out is also an option. Just going to have to see how the N+1 struggle plays out in my head and if I get lucky while searching haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
p_spk wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

It’s a bike, not the lunar lander… you can ride it. Plenty of perfectly sized perfectly fit athletes leave my studio who can’t even drink from a bottle while riding.

E

Hi Eric,

After our conversation I started tweaking my current bike setting. I have a feeling that I could increase pad reach by at least 80mms. Leading to pad stack 610, pad reach 500.

Now, my current bike doesnt allow for tilt and extensions arent long enough, so I can't really try it out for real rides. But moving pads forward by that much and doing some test runs, I can see myself get real comfortable in that position *if* properly supported by tilted pads and extension.

Any insights as to PX size-wise given the new dimensions? I guess size L with riser almost slammed? Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric,

Thanks for previous help. Hoping for some more on crank length. As per current stats, I run both R3- 172mm, P3-165mm at 61cm frames, and am upgrading to the S5 and P5, 58cm frames (new) and was hoping to go both in 165mm but it seems like Cervelo won't let me pick the crank length for the new builds. What's your advice on crank length as both come 172mm as standard? I am 203cm tall with long levers and while I am enjoying the 165 I just want the best for performance and i'll adapt.
Thanks!
Kieran
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [k_birchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road bike... 172.5mm
TT bike... 165mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p_spk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
p_spk wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

E

Hi Eric,

After our conversation I started tweaking my current bike setting. I have a feeling that I could increase pad reach by at least 80mms. Leading to pad stack 610, pad reach 500.

Now, my current bike doesnt allow for tilt and extensions arent long enough, so I can't really try it out for real rides. But moving pads forward by that much and doing some test runs, I can see myself get real comfortable in that position *if* properly supported by tilted pads and extension.

Any insights as to PX size-wise given the new dimensions? I guess size L with riser almost slammed? Thanks again!

You can get a size M at 495mm reach. Why are you coming up 80mm?

Edit: I see you mean reach.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 12, 21 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [k_birchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k_birchy wrote:
Hey Eric,

Thanks for previous help. Hoping for some more on crank length. As per current stats, I run both R3- 172mm, P3-165mm at 61cm frames, and am upgrading to the S5 and P5, 58cm frames (new) and was hoping to go both in 165mm but it seems like Cervelo won't let me pick the crank length for the new builds. What's your advice on crank length as both come 172mm as standard? I am 203cm tall with long levers and while I am enjoying the 165 I just want the best for performance and i'll adapt.
Thanks!
Kieran

At 189cm, a threshold of 300w, and a 58cm bike I use 165mm cranks. Soon I will drop to 160mm, probably when I turn 50.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
p_spk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
p_spk wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

E

Hi Eric,

You can get a size M at 495mm reach. Why are you coming up 80mm?

Edit: I see you mean reach.

E

Sorry, not up. Stack unchanged but reach +80mm after your prior suggestions to get longer.

Edit: see your edit now. Thanks.
Last edited by: p_spk: Oct 12, 21 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pad X (pad stack) - 727mm
Pad Y (reach) - 469mm
Arm pad reach (BB) 431mm
Pad Z (pad width) - 234mm

I don't have a tri bike (yet). Looking to purchase one for a 70.3 next year. I am actually looking at a used P3 that is a 56.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [gwenevere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gwenevere wrote:
Pad X (pad stack) - 727mm
Pad Y (reach) - 469mm
Arm pad reach (BB) 431mm
Pad Z (pad width) - 234mm

I don't have a tri bike (yet). Looking to purchase one for a 70.3 next year. I am actually looking at a used P3 that is a 56.

hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 727mm and Pad Reach of *429mm* to back of pad, you would be a little off the charts with stack, 27mm too high, for a 58cm P5d. You'd be right in the left-center of the reach range though. For reference, the top of the range for a 56cm P5d is 685mm.

If coming down is not an option, you'd be in the left center of the range of a size XL in the PX series bike.

Eric

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 13, 21 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 727mm and Pad Reach of 469mm you would be a little off the charts with stack, 27mm too high, for a 58cm P5d. You'd be right in the center of the reach range though. For reference, the top of the range for a 56cm P5d is 685mm.

If coming down is not an option, you'd be in the top center of the range of a size XL in the PX series bike.

Eric

Thanks - I appreciate your time!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [gwenevere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know when the EX10 tilt kit will come back into stock ? I can't find the whole thing anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the P5d, the pursuit bar is inline with the top tube essentially.

Hey Eric basic question as i am looking at a 2020 P5 56cm. I can see clearly the arm pads rise up but does the base bar? Or is the base bar remain parallel with the top tube and can not be risen slightly?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
On the P5d, the pursuit bar is inline with the top tube essentially.

Hey Eric basic question as i am looking at a 2020 P5 56cm. I can see clearly the arm pads rise up but does the base bar? Or is the base bar remain parallel with the top tube and can not be risen slightly?

You can flip the basebar up or down IIRC, but you can't raise it more than that. The mono-post is how you raise and lower stack.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Thi is my first post after being a long team reader on ST. Have been active in tri (up to half distance) until a few years back, then life happened and now finally able to get back into the great sport.

I used to own an old 2nd hand tri bike, which I sold. Since then been riding on a road bike.

Now looking into getting properly set up (again) so planned a bike fit yesterday which led to the following numbers:

PadX: 484 mm
PadY: 651 mm
PadZ (C-C): 210mm
Saddle height: 824mm
Saddle setback (ISM PN 3.0): 28mm // 112 clamp-nose
Extension angle: 15 degrees
Crank arm length: 165 mm

Based on this, could you please advise wether a size 56/L or 58/XL for either a P5D or a P3x/Px series would be the best option?

Based on Cervelo’s geometry tool, it seems that both should work based on X/Y, but I would also like to be ‘future proof’. For example if I would like to upgrade to custom extensions such as Aerocoach Ascalon (which adds 35mm stack).

Another question, regarding crank length. I noticed that Cervelo bikes don’t have the length listed by default. However some research seems to show that 58/XL bike comes with 175mm cranks and 56/L comes with 172.5mm cranks. Given the shortage of parts, i think it’s somewhat realistic that I might not be able to find 165mm cranks on a short notice. How should I adjust my fit coordinates to work with these longrr cranks? I assume lowering the saddle so knee extension angle doesn’t change and then increading PadY to maintain hip angle, or do you have other thoughts on that?

Finally, I seem to notice that the P5D only comes with the EX11 monopost, which cannot get to the 15mm angle. Is this swappable for an EX10 and does an ex10 increase/decrease PadX/Y compared to ex11?

I have included a picture from the bikefit as well for reference.

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

Kind regards, Pim
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [PimRNL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could get 155mm cranks in a few days if you wanted.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [PimRNL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PimRNL wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thi is my first post after being a long team reader on ST. Have been active in tri (up to half distance) until a few years back, then life happened and now finally able to get back into the great sport.

I used to own an old 2nd hand tri bike, which I sold. Since then been riding on a road bike.

Now looking into getting properly set up (again) so planned a bike fit yesterday which led to the following numbers:

PadX: 484 mm
PadY: 651 mm
PadZ (C-C): 210mm
Saddle height: 824mm
Saddle setback (ISM PN 3.0): 28mm // 112 clamp-nose
Extension angle: 15 degrees
Crank arm length: 165 mm

Based on this, could you please advise wether a size 56/L or 58/XL for either a P5D or a P3x/Px series would be the best option?

Based on Cervelo’s geometry tool, it seems that both should work based on X/Y, but I would also like to be ‘future proof’. For example if I would like to upgrade to custom extensions such as Aerocoach Ascalon (which adds 35mm stack).

Another question, regarding crank length. I noticed that Cervelo bikes don’t have the length listed by default. However some research seems to show that 58/XL bike comes with 175mm cranks and 56/L comes with 172.5mm cranks. Given the shortage of parts, i think it’s somewhat realistic that I might not be able to find 165mm cranks on a short notice. How should I adjust my fit coordinates to work with these longrr cranks? I assume lowering the saddle so knee extension angle doesn’t change and then increading PadY to maintain hip angle, or do you have other thoughts on that?

Finally, I seem to notice that the P5D only comes with the EX11 monopost, which cannot get to the 15mm angle. Is this swappable for an EX10 and does an ex10 increase/decrease PadX/Y compared to ex11?

I have included a picture from the bikefit as well for reference.

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

Kind regards, Pim

With a Pad Stack of 651mm and a Pad Reach of 484mm you would be either a size L or size XL in the PX. With the size L, your limiter would be that you'd only have 20mm more reach to play with. On the XL, you could only get 30mm lower. I suspect from intuition and hearing some things that the size L would be a couple watts faster and would accommodate the stack height of custom extensions.

In the P5D, you'd be a 58cm for sure, despite fitting ever so slightly on the reach of a 56cm, unless you know you'll *never* get longer (a rarity for people who work with me) in which case the 56cm would help accommodate the increased stack height of custom extensions.

As for cranks, the industry is hopelessly behind. Bikes are shipped, and have been shipped since the beginning of time, with cranks that are 10mm too long for TT applications IMO. Also IMO, next to the saddle the cranks are what tie the fit all together so I'd work hard to get a swap done so that you can ride your preferred crank length.

If you go shorter than 165mm, there are better cheaper options so that you can have your cranks and still have a power meter, for example Cobb cranks and Assioma power pedals.

Make sense?

Eric

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 20, 21 5:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would you say there is a significant difference between being high on a L or low on a XL P3X from a ride-quality perspective?

Would I already get to a point where I might experience being too far ‘ahead’ of the front wheel in this fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PimRNL wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would you say there is a significant difference between being high on a L or low on a XL P3X from a ride-quality perspective?

Would I already get to a point where I might experience being too far ‘ahead’ of the front wheel in this fit?

There's a difference, but I don't think it's significant. That sort of thing is very individual though. It's not like the old days though of short bikes with long stems, we're on long bikes with short stems now. Maxed out pads on a 56cm is absolutely a use case that the Cervelo engineers planned for.

Eric

Quote Reply

Prev Next