Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT - my night
Quote | Reply
So...rode hard as hell....26+ mph avg for about 25 super hilly miles with a buddy who asked me to make him work hard on the bike. No problem.

Got home, ordered Lo Mein and went to pick it up...a woman who was in a 1/2 shirt (should not have been wearing that) was outside the chineese place begging for money for food for her son (who was with her) he was about 7 or so...asked her if she had a car (yes). Met her about a block away at a store and bought them about $40.00 in food...staples...peanut butter, bread, eggs, and on and on...candy for her son. The store gave me a free plant for my efforts...(she told everyone there I was buying her food)...

That is my good deed for the day...when I left, she told her son in front of me that I drove a Mercedes and could afford it....huh....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats real decent of you.
That candy is going to make that kid feel like a kid again.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"....a woman who was in a 1/2 shirt (should not have been wearing that) was outside the chineese place begging for money...."

If she had looked better in the 1/2 shirt, would the evening have turned out differently?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great ride, good deed, fantastic day. Well done. What did you expect, gratitude?:)

robert
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [RAinBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she never did say thank you...good lesson for the kid. I was homless for 2+ years...never asked for a hand out. Now, I am lucky...I just hope the kid does okay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I changed a girls flat tire today. She was 17, 95 lbs, and had "no clue" how to do it. Does that count as a good deed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really appreciate the help given at this website. This sport is incredible, but also incredibly daunting. There are so many beautiful bikes, and so much information, it is mind blowing. All the advice that you veterans give is incredibly appreciated by all of us newbs.

Quote | Reply
Okay...we will see...
  • was this on a car or bike?
  • are you more than 5 years older than she? If not, did you offer cause she was cute?
  • Did you get her number?
  • Did you even one think that you should get a blow job for your efforts?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good for you,

most importantly, good for the kid

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a woman who was in a 1/2 shirt

Very nice of you...and at first I thought you did it becuase she was a triathlete because of the 70.3 on her shirt...I am dumb.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow... that was very nice of you. I se those people standing at the light off the 71 entrance with a sign saying "i am hungry" all the time. I never know if they really are or if they just want money for cigarettes or drugs...
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [newbie5317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note: To avoid possible misunderstanding, the content of the smart ass comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek!

In Reply To:
She was 17, 95 lbs, and had "no clue" how to do it. Does that count as a good deed?

I think the answer to that question depends on whether or not the girl (or her parents) will be filing formal charges against you any time soon (really big grin)!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a very good person Chip. Being able to sleep at night with a clear conscience and good feeling in your heart is a very good thing. Not many of us can say we've been on both sides of this type of situation. Good things will come back to you.

Quote | Reply
Being a triathlete and able to live out of my car for extended periods given all the crap I carry around, I always have snacks/food of various sorts. When I see the homeless and their sign says "need food", "hungry" etc. not "need money", I always hand a banana/sandwich/trail mix (not sure a power bar would be understood) out the window. Usually there's a thank you and they start eating immediately or store in a pocket. Only once or twice have I gotten a dirty look and once even saw them throw away. All in all I'd rather help one out of ten with an easy handout and know they're not spending $ on drugs and alcohol. If they are hungry and in need of food like they say, can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [tri143] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saving baby birds and feeding the homeless and giving away bikes!

next you'll be sneaking into sick people's houses when they're away on vacation and building wheelchair ramps and painting the place and shit!

;-)

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [tri143] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea. I'd rather give them food than money. I will remember that.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [newbie5317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I changed a girls flat tire today. She was 17, 95 lbs, and had "no clue" how to do it. Does that count as a good deed?[/reply]

Possibly, But the smart money says that counts as an obvious ploy to do something illegal in most jurisdictions.

Oh, btw - right on, Chip

Last edited by: dire wolf: Jul 13, 05 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give yourself a big hug.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put down a good deed, but in my faith the highest form of charity is that which is anonymous...now while you couldn't anonymously give her the $40 worth of food, you didn't have to seek pats on the back for your effort. I will however pat you on the back because that is more than most people do, but one should not give charity for the gratitude he will recieve.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That made me laugh so hard I snorted. Not cool in a cube farm.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [stevezelinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt expect anything from this woman, or anyone for that matter...it to me is just a shame that mom's comment to the kid was that someone should owe them something by default as my car was better than her car...i guess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You, sir, have a most fascinating life/history. Seriously.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that her attitude probably goes a long way in explaining why she is in that position. Regardless, that is a nice deed. If her son is smart enough to compare your generousity (regardless of car) versus her attitude - maybe he'll learn something she hasn't ... respect.

There have been times that my wife and I have bought Christmas gifts for children at my kids' school. I know that the parent probably has beer and cigarettes but *can't afford* to buy something for their kid. I just live knowing that my motives were good, the child benefited, and I can't help that the parent is a schmuck. Again, good for you.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whens the last time you saw a sick man in a wheelchair take off for vacation if he could not afford a wheel chair ramp? And yes, I do give to Habitat for Humanity too...we got 4 new beds for a family earlier this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might be the self serving nature of your original post.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - my night [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you are just jaded...

Quote Reply

Prev Next