Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [DoubleTrouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on people....

the only the only point that matter is getting Lance to ever do a non draft triathlon again !!!

To ever do Kona,,,,

Who cares about if he does 4h15 or 5h00!!! That would be great!!!

Lance respects triathlon a lot and triathletes should respect his career as a Cyclist and don't do any comparisons at all,,, period!

HASTA
Migalhas
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
" but he would still blow away the field if he chose to."

I honestly cannot believe people actually think this way. There is no way he would put more than 10-20 minutes on the next cyclist at Kona. I'm sure 5-10 of that 20 would be lost to his swim, so certainly as he began the marathon, if he even HAD, the lead, it would be gone by mile 13 for sure. The only "bet" to be made would be how many people pass him on the run, because it would be many.

How "likely" is that 3 hour marathon at Kona?
I never said he would win, or even run a good marathon. And 20 minutes on the bike isn't blowing away the field?
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [DoubleTrouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you really got a stick up your butt, don'tcha?

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]That's not a prediction but libel. Winky smiley and all.[/reply]

Wow... you ARE that dumb, huh?! I mean, I'm not a lawyer but everyone knows that it's not libel because it's an opinion, one of the many known exceptions to libel, and even if it were, what are your damages?! And the bottom line... you do more harm to your reputation than anyone else ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummm.....dude, 20 minutes on the bike at the level is pretty much a total ass kicking. Assuming his swim is with the lead pack, that gives him nearly a 3 mile lead to start the run. That's not too easy to make up. Certainly possible, but not easy.

There may not be much difference between a 6:15 bike split and a 6:35, but there is a huge difference between a 4:10 bike split and a 4:30 bike split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason this is not a good thread is not because no one wants to talk to you it's because no one wants to doubt Lance. Ever. Your title makes it seem like Lance might not be good at something and that is not what people want to hear.

Now make a thread like, "Lance; America next great Astronaught" or "Lance wil cure cancer in the next 6 months", and all those who attack yoiu now will stand by you and declare you great.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Jon Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Now make a thread like, "Lance; America next great Astronaught" or "Lance wil cure cancer in the next 6 months", and all those who attack yoiu now will stand by you and declare you great."

Uh... they'll probably be asking what an "Astronaught" is!
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Jon Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's get to the really important question of the day:

Did Lance beat Oprah's time? ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't think anyone here thinks he could win at Kona. I certainly haven't heard anyone say that."

OK, then let me be the first. Lance COULD win at Kona.

He has the background in all three sports and could dominate the bike leg better than Larsen or Stadler ever did. But he'd have a couple of years of hard training to get his swim and run in shape to do the whole magilla.

The fact that I think he COULD does not mean that he will, because he's not likely to want to bury himself in the hours of training required to do his best, and then go through the learning curve of several IMs in order to be ready to do what it takes to win Kona.

Lance may have the potential, but doing what it takes to mold that potential into a finished product is very likely more than he's interested in doing at this point in his life.

That said, I said "COULD win," not WOULD win.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares, does not impact me. Why do folks love to pic on winners. Lets see, Michael Jordan failed at golf, again, who cares.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people, apparently like you Tibbs, are simply hate filled jealous people, who get satisfaction from trying to cut down anyone who is more successful then they are. I'm betting you are as pissed off as DT that Lance finished under 3 hours.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh gawd, HE'S back?!
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Babysitter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we change the name of the Lavender room? Tibbs/Jon Boy, welcome back!
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does he need the money from winning IMH? Nope.

Does he need the respect that comes from that level of athletic achievement? Nope.

Then, of course, why would he choose such a tough path? I agree that he might be competitive if he ever choose to do it...but that seems unlikely at best.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Babysitter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]No.[/reply]

Thank god... scared me for a minute. I was sure the poor soul had beaten his addiction... what a train wreck that was to watch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I am pointing out something that I am finding funny. DT is getting shit for saying Lance can't win Kona. People are calling him stupid for even discussing this, but everyone else who is talking about in the positive get no shit about the subject matter.

I will admit I am not on the Lance band wagon. I will say I find it annoying that no one wants to dicuss the actual winners of the race today. My post on this thread was pointing out that no one has problem talking about Lance in Kona as long as it is positive. Say he doesn't have a prayer and your an idoit and the subject is stupid.

As far as hate filled and jealous goes come on down to Dallas for the day and I will show you around my life and hate and jealousy you will not find. Of course you can believe what you like but that would make you look hate filled and small minded.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did DT or Jon Boy say they were pissed off when Lance broke 3 hours.

I agree with Jon Boy, in that, all DT and now Jon Boy, have done is to pose a contrary opinion to those held dearly by many on this forum, that Lance would win the Ironman or is the best athlete ever, etc, etc.

They didn't seem to start with personally attacking people regarding their opinion on this subject which I took just to be fun banter as you may have with your buddies about who the best basketball player is, or boxer or if you took the Shaq and made him a tide end in footbool would he be the most dominant ever.

These are just silly hypotheticals. Why you and others get so worked up about it and start personally attacking DT and Jon Boy for their opinion on a silly hypothetical is beyond me.

Seriously, you need to get over yourself. If you don't like their opinion, at least have a well informed one about why you think Lance will win.

I don't think DT and JB are Lance haters, they are just more critical about the cult of Lance than you and others.
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love you Rascal but...RUN!!! RUN FOR YOU LIFE!!!

Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was just pulling your leg. i thought it was funny to read what people thought three years ago. the opinions are the same, the promoters just change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Weren't you of the opinion that Lance would crush Stadler in a 112 mile time trial? "

I certainly am. Especially if Stadler got a flat.:-)

Don't know about his exact moment, but Stadler is not in the same class on the bike when Lance was in his prime. Neither is any other triathlete. Not even close. Stadler wouldn't even be a junior domestique on a TDF team.

Could Lance win Kona? Maybe, but it would take a lot more serious training than he allowed for the NYC marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only picked your post out of the many because usually your comments are well thought of with good objective analysis, but somehow when it comes to Lance Armstrong, and other cycling heroes of yours you and many others here throw objectivity out the window.

There are plenty of posts here that are more recent regarding yours as well as others predictions about Lance Armstrong's finishing time in the NYC Marathon.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=796274;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#796375

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=791261;search_string=lance%20marathon;#791261

While, more level heads predicted around a 3 hour finish, you and others predicted incredible times of 2:30-2:40. Some even picking 2:20+ as his time.

Others make outlandish claims about if Lance does something endurance related there is no way he is doing it half assed, or how he wouldn't want to lose to Jalabert's time, which he did by the way.

Now when faced with the reality of Lance's performance, people suddenly are confronted with one of two things either their idol/hero is not quite as great as they made him out to be, or, alternatively some extraordinary circumstance must of caused his failure to live up to their expectations (e.g. he didn't train as much, he wasn't in good enough shape as his TdF days, etc.).

Bottom line is you had asserted that Lance would easily win Kona (yes 3 years ago), but, more recently you stated Lance would go 2:30 range for a marathon.

Perhaps you need to readjust your expectations of Lance.

He is no doubt a great athlete, and I think the best Grand Tour cyclist. I take nothing away from his TdF wins. However, that doesn't make him the next coming. He is what he is, a one of kind cyclist. Does it take anything away from him by admitting that he just isn't the runner that you and others thought he is?

I don't think so. So why all the hate aimed personally at me, from others? Just because I don't think he could win Kona. Since when did an opinion/reasonable prediction about the success of a public figure athlete become a personal vendetta against me and others who don't think he could do it.

It is really truly amazing that there is truly a cult mentality when it comes to Lance. I am not saying everyone here is a part of it but there are many. The parallels with true religious cults and the Lance cult is amazing, even with failed predictions.
Last edited by: DoubleTrouble: Nov 5, 06 22:02
Quote Reply
Re: No way Lance comes anywhere close to winning Kona! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, then let me be the first. Lance COULD win at Kona.

He has the background in all three sports and could dominate the bike leg better than Larsen or Stadler ever did. But he'd have a couple of years of hard training to get his swim and run in shape to do the whole magilla.

Nah. In a couple of years? What will he be, like 38?

Maybe, when he was in his prime. A couple of years from now? No way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rascal and JonBoy- Have you read any of the threads about Lance? There are more people with hate and jealousy for LA then those who defend him at all costs...but I am sure you two have never noticed this.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Lance racing at Kona? News to me.

Of course there is no way Lance will ever win Kona simply because he will never race at Kona. Whether or not he would win if he really tried is just wild speculation. I highly doubt Lance will ever be a serious triathlete at any distance again. Just like NYC if he decides to do a tri, it will be more for the fun of it than to be seriously competitive.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply

Prev Next