Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New triathlon places and distances you would like to see
Quote | Reply
The threads on 101 and the huge growth in the sport (100,00 USAT members) got me wondering what voids there are in the triathlon calander and what would be some good new places and distances for races. Here's some I thought of:
1. An Olympic-distance series where you get points to be able to compete in a championship event (kind of like Xterra), but the championship has to be someplace cool like Lake Tahoe.
2. More Carribean races. St. Croix is awesome, but its warm enough to train outside in May. I want someplace to go race in January or February that does not cost a fortune to get to.
3. More unique races like Survival of the Shawangunks, where you bike first, and carry your stuff while you swim or have multiple transitions.
4. Supersprint races. Certain percentage of people get to race in the 2nd one, 3rd one, etc., until there is a winner (or age group winners)
5. More races Alcatraz distance (shorter bike, longer run, hard swim)
6. A race that equally rewards being good at all 3 sports (2-mile swim, 40K bike, 9-mile run)?
7. Better locations for the 101's
8. More races in Africa - IM South Africa is an awesome destination race, but its tough to get in shape for a full IM in March if you live in the U.S.
9. IM or 101 or 70.3 or something great in Italy
10. More multi-day races like the Triple T (but in places easier to get to and with better hotels and restaraunts than the Smoky Mountains.

Where does everyone else think there are voids in available triathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another idea: Tri Weekend - age-group awards 5 or 10 -deep based on cummulative time for weekend.

1. Friday night prologue - 10-mile bike TT

2. Saturday supersprint - 1/4 swim - 5-mile bike - 1-mile run. Top 50% in each race get to race in the next one until there is a winner.

3. Sunday - 1/2 IM (or less)

15-minutes subtraced from total time for each superprint you compete in.

Then the people who do well in the supersprint and do multiple races on Saturday will be more fatigued for Sunday's race than those who were eliminated quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"More Carribean races. ........ in January or February "

Ditto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like races that throw in an unconventional distance. There's a local sprint with a 4 mile run. ...obviously not a lot different, but I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More races with perfunctory swims. I did a sprint last year that was 500m/30K/5K. That is the future of triathlon. People love to ride their expensive bikes, hate to swim and generally dislike running enough that they don’t do it enough to be any good. The long course version would be 1K/100K/10K. As the race gets longer the bike to run/swim proportion increases so that you gain even more advantage from your $5,000 bike.
It is all about supply and demand.
For me, I want to see a race that swims about 500 meters in a lake (no waves, but cold enough to use my wetsuit), climbs up a mountain (like the Alp d’Huez tri) and then does 10K or so on a single track trail.
So far, my favorite race ever remains the Desert Duathlon in Phoenix.
Chad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Formula one racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 mile swim
100 mile bike
5k run

Now THAT'S my kind of race

;-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downhill bike leg. I would rock at that!

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We could really use a full IM (WTC) race on the Central Coast of CA. Could you see an IM @ Lake Santa Marguerita or Nacemiento? That would be super cool.

Also, I'd like to see some Pentathlons. Swim, Road Bike, Run, MTB, Run.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5 mile swim
100 mile bike
5k run

;-)

Jodi
Oh snap, I would rock that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some place in the Northwest....Central Oregon, half Ironman distance would be great. Some great country up there

http://www.procompression.com - Athletic Performance Socks
discount code ES20 20%
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: May 9, 07 15:49
Quote | Reply
Races where they change the order of events -- especially run/swim/bike. Yeah, you might drown, but it would be nice to do the run before it gets hot and be able to do the bike all out -- saving nothing for the run. Just to mix it up. It would also address the argument that fishes make against wetsuits. Since the clock would be running while you're putting on the wetsuit, there would be more strategy about whether to use one.
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"People love to ride their expensive bikes, hate to swim and generally dislike running enough that they don’t do it enough to be any good"

Speak for yourself.

Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought by posting my opinion on a public forum, that I was speaking for me. However, spend enough time surfing slowtwitch will confirm my opinion is not too far off. I even did an informal poll once and my responses found that roughly 60 percent could do without swimming and 39 percent did not enjoy running. About 1 person did not like cycling. You would think with those numbers that more people would take up duathlon, but au contraire, that is not the case. It has to be a triathlon for social status to be granted, but the swim can be very, very short as long as it is there.
Look at the wild popularity of Ironman. A 10 hour IM finisher is going to spend 1/10 of his time swimming, more than half of his time riding and a little more than a third running. If you take the distance and keep chopping it in half, you end up with .3 mile swim, 14 mile ride and 3.25 run. Converted metrically this works out to 480 meters, 22.5 K and 5.1K. I just rounded up the swim and ride and down the run to come up with 500meters, 30K, and 5K.
If Ironman put their stamp of approval on that distance, with their marketing machine, you can bet it would be the next Big Thing.
Camp Pendleton held a race over that distance last summer and drew 600 people the first year. As a runner, I would prefer a little more run, but even I have to admit it was nice being able to hammer the bike and then only run 5K.
What’s more, it was short enough that we went and played at the beach for the rest of the day and I was not completely trashed.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just rounded up the swim and ride and down the run to come up with 500meters, 30K, and 5K.

I think LA tri series #1 at bonelli was exactly that...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman was an arbitrary distance based on single-sport racing. It's irrelevant.

Most people are fucking lazy. The swim and run could be short.. I'll still beat them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWIM
bike
RUN

8k swim, _____ bike, 20 mi run. I'm not sure what I'd want the bike distance.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Races between Olympic & Half Ironman distance. Like the Santa Barbara one.
2. Somebody mentioned: A swim followed by a bike up a mountain, followed by a singletrack trail run (up in the mountains). I second that!!
3. More tris with TRAIL RUNS in general. Why are they almost always on the road?
4. Swim-run-swim-run. Water World Swim here in San Francisco Bay does an annual race where you swim a mile with the flood tide, get out and find your shoes, and run the mile back along the beach.
5. ANY tris that prioritize SCENERY over distance. Like the nonstandard distance Alcatraz races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Western Massachusetts / Berkshire Mountains area

Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman was an arbitrary distance based on single-sport racing. It's irrelevant.

Yes and no. We are creatures of habit and love to do the same thing over and over again. The success of the 101 series will largely depend on whether people can break themselves out of the rut. When people say, "What is your best 101 time?" then it will have arrived. Right now I see plenty of people who get hung up on races that are not "standard" distances.

Most people are lazy. The swim and run could be short.. I'll still beat them.

I don't know that people are lazy so much as they are not soley focused on their physical performance. Well, I take it back. Modern society is physically lazy. The same guy who has no problem working 80 hour weeks says he can't find time to train. And thinks 10 hours a week is a lot. Maybe it is.

I'm sure there are pretty good reasons why people feel the way they do about the different diciplines. For me, I dislike swimming because it is so tediously dull. If I had to run all my miles on a track and ride all my training in a velodrome then I doubt I would be a triathlete at all. You also can't swim right out your door and pools generally cost money and require time to access. It is also the only sport where you are not guaranteed performance improvement simply by doing more work. If you didn't learn good mechanics as a kid then you have to figure it out on your own in many cases. Some people might not even have a pool in their area.

People don't like running, because it is the most painful of the three sports and not every body is made to be efficient. Survival of the fittest ended a while ago and lots of body types have flourished that would not have made the cut if you had to chase down your dinner. Injury is also and issue if you don't know how to listen to your body. On the plus side, it is by far the most convenient and can be done just about anywhere. A friend of mine used to run in airport terminals.

Cycling is popular because a bike is a great equalizer. There is no such thing as poor cycling form. You just have to turn the pedals around in circles, the bike supports your weight and with a little work you can achieve an aero position (given that you are willing to endure a little discomfort). You can also "buy speed" which people love and bikes can convey status, which people also love. The only injury you can incur in cycling is overtraining or crashing. What is there not to like about cycling? I love cycling. It is for cycling that I put up with the tedium of swimming. Having said that, my children love being on their swim team and for that, I am very supportive. Hopefully they won't have my problem when they are older. :)

Chad
Last edited by: cdw: May 9, 07 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]5 mile swim
100 mile bike
5k run

;-) Jodi[
------------------------

jodi, i am THERE. i am so there..........
amen, sister.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about swim .3 miles/bike 8 miles/run 2 miles/swim .3 miles/bike 8 miles/ run 2 miles..

a sprint double where you come off the run and head back in the water to do it all over again.....

you could choose a spimple 1 loop sprint or a 2 loop double sprint triathlon....I put on a small training race doing this one time and it was kinda wild heading back in the water after hammering the run.........
Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< SWIM
bike
RUN >>

If Chatter sees this, she's gonna kick yer ass.
;-)

What's not to love about biking?? You get to go fast, wind in your hair, spend $ on some cool-ass sh!t for it, and you can even coast during parts of it. Try that while swimming or running and see where it gets ya.
Drowned or run over, that's where.

Hmmm, what distances would I like?
Howzabout 1k swim, 150k bike, 30k run.
I'd totally rock that race.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New triathlon places and distances you would like to see [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< SWIM
bike
RUN >>

If Chatter sees this, she's gonna kick yer ass.
;-)

Chatter and I are working things out. But yes, she would be so mad at me! That said, she's gotten some TLC the past couple days. We will be okay. I realized the other day that she needs waterbottle holder-thingies, so I will wrap them up for her like a present... shhh, don't tell her!

What's not to love about biking?? You get to go fast, wind in your hair, spend $ on some cool-ass sh!t for it, and you can even coast during parts of it. Try that while swimming or running and see where it gets ya.
Drowned or run over, that's where.

I am trying to learn to love biking. When I went out Monday, there were a bunch of kids riding through a neighborhood on these cute little pink bikes with training wheels, horns, and streamers. I adopted the mental attitude of "pretend you're a kid just learning to ride, you have a new bike and you can go explore faraway places." if I can think of it as playing, that helps.

When my parents got bikes for my brother and I when we were little, I didn't have much interest in it then, either. I preferred to run around the driveway, and I didn't grow up in a neighborhood that I could bike around (we live on a river and I do have a huge field in the backyard, but no little streets or other kids to play with). I only learned to ride my bike because my brother mastered the art of biking-sans-training-wheels first, and I had to do it too because I am two years older. I never really rode a bike much as a kid so I am really quite honestly trying to learn this.

You 'coast' when you swim, it's called a streamline, and it's what you do off the wall after you've nailed your flip turn. Or breaststokre pullout and glide, that counts as coasting.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: May 9, 07 17:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next