Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My African Confession.
Quote | Reply
I am writing this e mail from along side the IMSA course in Port Elizabeth, where I was racing this morning (for 3 hours)! I have previously completed 5 IM races with varying results but today I collected my first DNF.

The swim was very rough, so much so that the boats lining the course had to use their engines to hold their position thus putting a lot of diesel fumes etc into the water. It was only when we were in the changing tent that I found out that I beat Bryce (UKGearMuncher) out of the water, when he would normally be 10 minutes ahead of me! The short version is that I swallowed so much foul water that I vomited 3 times on the first loop of the bike and felt it was the best decision to finish there rather than try and hold out for another 11 or so hours hoping that it came back together. Another factor was that the wind was in our faces for the first 30kms and I found out that the amount of training I was able to do for whatever reason really was not enough, as I ran out of gears at the start of the 7k (normally) easy climb.

Curiously, I don't feel bad about it, I remarked to Bryce on a number of occasions this week that I was feeling nothing for the race. Perhaps it was just one race too many?

For those to are interested in the race Faris entered T2 less than a minute up on Ray Tissink but left after him. Since I spent an hour trying to find the right person to get my cold weather clothes out of tranistion I can't give you any more news. I am phyiscally well, just a little bloated and that acid taste in my mouth and up my nose. More later after I have cheered Bryce on and congratulated him on joining the IM Family.

Flame on re my dnf!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to hear that ,but probably the right decision.

good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No flames from this quarter, Julian. Sorry to hear that report. DNFs aren't fun. Hope you can enjoy the rest of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even think Paulo is mean enough to flame a DNF in an Ironman. :-)

At least you started, shit happens. Live to race another race. Did you see any Great Whites on the swim?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a bummer, but glad you are okay with it. diesel fumes....blech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it Julian, but that's the way it goes some days. Find a good pub (if there are any in S.A.), have a couple of pints and you'll feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You DNF?
gee you freaking loser!

(more seriouly, sorry to hear that)
Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No great whites, Erik. But plenty of Bluebottles (jellyfish not flies as I thought!), one of which stung me on the left hand when I was swimming on Thursday. Add that to the fact that I Cut the arch on my right foot on rocks getting out from Monday's swim and then got a thorn under the skin of my left foot walking back (and it's still in there) and you can guess that the pre-race week could have been better!

ON a positive note, Bryce just ran past with 11k to go and is on for a 12:05ish finish to his first IM. Pretty good going!

Thanks for the postive vibes Guys.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yummmm, diesel flavored water. It was probably a smart move to end it when you did. How can you keep your nutrition plan together if your throwing it all up. However, you could have used your vomit like an oil slick to prevent competitors from passing you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Last edited by: bafmco: Mar 19, 06 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touche, Merci Mon Ami.

Oh, and congeats on the 6 nations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like the winner was the team that was the least unprepared... vs. the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough go Julian. No shame in giving it a go. You have to draw the line at some point whether destroying yourself is worth it. Triathlon isn't "life or death", it's supposed to be fun and challenging, so as someone else mentioned, live to race another day when everything comes together better. Rock on!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about it, mate. Shit happens.

Heading out for an easy ride with Khai this am, who has no doubt seen your post already

Guess the next time we find you on an IM course will I suspect be IMC, but this time spectating which will be fun. On that note I will have the Soloist ready for you!

Quote | Reply
Oh man, that's too bad.... I'm so sorry to hear about it. But you know when you have to stop, it's usually the right decision. Vomiting, for what ever reason, is never a good thing.

One day, you'll be able to get your revenge on that race... and it will be sweet. ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You dnf'ed because you failed to train in the same manner that you raced. Next year mix a little diesel in with your gatorade during your training. Then you won't have any more of those sissy vomiting issues.

When are you back in BC?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this link - maybe the vomiting was a blessing in disguise

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...id=36635&start=1
Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting link.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admire your attitide and think you made a very smart decision. Had you kept pushing yourself you could have done some serious damage to your system. Instead, you are in great shape from the training and can race another day.

You're still my favorite Brit. :-)

Quote | Reply
Even above Hugh Grant? I am honoured! Gonna go and play on mtbs now for the rest of the season and look at some shorter fun stuff to work the body differently and regain some perspective.

Thanks for the wishes, I am still thinking of Honu 1/2 one year for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simon, Andy, Khai. I had planned on dropping IM until 2008 after this race, but for sure I will not return for this race too many things went wrong on race week, although I would return to SA for holidays for sure.

IMC week will be my next return to BC, so the soloist is sounding good as long as she is Campag equipped ;-).

Khai, my buddy. I hold your opinion on many things in esteem but I think I will forgo that drink mix you tout, gonna have to settle for mexican food and margarittas on the Lakeside drive post race ;-).

Quote Reply
Re: My African Confession. [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay, you are right. I lost the fun and challenging bit I think, hopefully my intro into Xterra type racing will relight that torch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Curiously, I don't feel bad about it"

-Because you are a wise man with good perspective in my opinion. Live to fight another day. Well done I say.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude thats the local drink - you got Witblitz for free:) Ok it's not quite the same but extremly potent...sorry to hear of your DNF - seems like pre race was a nighmare. You will be back to fight another day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good decision I think.. but sorry to hear it. I can recommend the Windhoek Lager as an all-purpose analgesic..

PE gets some fierce winds. I wish IMSA would go back to Gordon's Bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent. We must all convene then for many many drinks. Oh and heaps of food.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next