Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they did not. Both of those companies simply lost interest in the sport having seeing very little to no ROI.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewynn wrote:
Correct!!! all of these points are correct :)

Which points? Jack’s point that if it were not for Babbitt’s connections, athletes wouldn’t want to talk to him?

This being a bit ridiculous is one thing, but it’s also about how Jack expresses his criticisms. You can be critical without acting like an arrogant disrespectful prick. He’s probably a lovable guy in person but his online persona as shown on PTN was nothing but.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Feb 3, 23 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your points on jack and how he acts towards his guests and others are very correct. I just don't understand how or why he feels like he needs to be that way towards other people that have clearly grown the sport.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I was gonna say that some of this confrontational style feels like a very discount version of Ben Hobbs.

There's exactly one guy who was good at that, and it's Ben Hobbs. For all the shit-stirring, he could do a guest interview like nobody else in the sport, and hold somebody's feet to the fire without it feeling performative, nor did he come across as navel gazing.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
You know, I was gonna say that some of this confrontational style feels like a very discount version of Ben Hobbs.

There's exactly one guy who was good at that, and it's Ben Hobbs. For all the shit-stirring, he could do a guest interview like nobody else in the sport, and hold somebody's feet to the fire without it feeling performative, nor did he come across as navel gazing.

i am a bit surprised that you have an opinion about him him, since i think you did not know about him, till a few days ago.
I guess i have listened to 35 or so of his podcasts , not the messick one, and i guess he was confrontational in maybe 2, and there is not much shit stirring either.well the one with pro tri news was really bad but the tri news guys were even worse.
it is clear he thinks he is the only one who should do a tri podcast and he does not like ironman. but i think your assessment about him, most likely form a few snippets,is off the mark.
at the end of the day , his main subject is how they train and coach. and he does that ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have listened to enough to draw a conclusion. Ben Hobbs did this -- highlighting pro athletes on a podcast -- better in 2014-2015.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
mathematics wrote:

You're not even allowed to even race in IM events until you're 18. How are you supposed to grow a sport when you can't even do 75% of the events until you're 18?

Holy shit mate you need to take those M-Dot blinkers off. The sport of triathlon isn't "Ironman" and if you think that the almighty M-Dot hosts 75% of the worlds triathlons then you do really need to get out more..

That's true, but the economics driving triathlon are IRONMAN. And it begs the question where would the sport be today without their financial engine. It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the film "The Right Stuff". NASA administrator speaking about the need to make the Mercury 7 astronauts famous to help support their funding. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers".

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

That's true, but the economics driving triathlon are IRONMAN. And it begs the question where would the sport be today without their financial engine. It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the film "The Right Stuff". NASA administrator speaking about the need to make the Mercury 7 astronauts famous to help support their funding. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers".

Absurdly false.

Tell me you are from the USA without telling me you are from the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Absurdly false.

From the standpoint of amateur racing, not national federations supporting their Olympic efforts.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
168 working days to build

Is that fast?

https://www.pmi.org/...gigafactory-shanghai
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I have listened to enough to draw a conclusion. Ben Hobbs did this -- highlighting pro athletes on a podcast -- better in 2014-2015.

i liked what ben did a lot, he was very good. but honestly i think this has not much to do with the how they train podcast. i would say if you compare it with ben you have not listend enough. as by and large it is really about how they train.
Last edited by: pk: Feb 3, 23 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess us peasants will have to wait for the podcast but in what context was he even on the “how to train” podcast. I mean I get it, that’s just a name and so the content can cover all kinds of material. It was an interesting decision it seems by each party to take up this particular podcast. Maybe Messick has done the tri circuit podcasts, but I don’t remember him doing many (again maybe I’ve just not paid attention to them).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Ewynn wrote:

Which points? Jack’s point that if it were not for Babbitt’s connections, athletes wouldn’t want to talk to him?
This being a bit ridiculous is one thing, but it’s also about how Jack expresses his criticisms. You can be critical without acting like an arrogant disrespectful prick. He’s probably a lovable guy in person but his online persona as shown on PTN was nothing but.
Here's the ProTriNews/How they Train combo:
https://podcasts.apple.com/...1865?i=1000586614274
I had never heard/listened to Kelly before but, boy can he talk. Trouble is, by the end of the question you've forgotten what the key point was, if you haven't lost the will to live.
Perhaps I should steel myself and listen to a few of his direct interviews, so I can have a more balanced view of his style.
Perhaps he should interview some of the old no-hopers who still roll up (in Ironman's pocket) to provide an ignorant commentary (his words).
Anyone want to suggest an interview which offers some quality insights?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 3, 23 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Absurdly false.

In 2018 Ironman brings in $90million per year in revenue.
In 2019World Triathlon, has 5 million in cash/short term investments. They have $8 million in revenue, about $3.5 million from the Olympics. World Triathlon operated at a loss if not for the income they receive from investments, which barely keeps their nose above water.

Is there anyone larger than Ironman that could be said to driving the economic engine of triathlon? Tell me you are a knee-jerk anti-American without telling me you a knee jerk anti American.

The observation that Ironman is the largest financial impact on triathlon is not an "American" one. It seems to be a factual one. Unless you're saying it's false an "American" to view the one with the most financial interests being the driver of the sport. If you think that's the case, that pure sport can't be reduced to economics, ask how far the pure sport of World Triathlon would go if it didn't have $2-3 million in Olympic revenue coming in every year. WT EBIT in 2019 was -500k. Only return on financial investments put its nose above water. It's not American to view money as the best approximate means to measure and compare value. It's literally the principle of which the thing exists and is used.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently found his podcast and listened to the Collin Chartier and Alistair Brownlee episodes. The Chartier one was fine and interesting. The Brownlee one was definitely interesting but as others have mentioned it was painfully awkward with how much the host was worshipping Brownlee, especially the very end.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what you think about this guy, I think we could all agree he gets good guests and that he really needs to work on the delivery of his questions. It's painful to listen to.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
kajet wrote:
Ewynn wrote:

Here's the ProTriNews/How they Train combo:
https://podcasts.apple.com/...1865?i=1000586614274
I had never heard/listened to Kelly before but, boy can he talk. Trouble is, by the end of the question you've forgotten what the key point was, if you haven't lost the will to live.
Perhaps I should steel myself and listen to a few of his direct interviews, so I can have a more balanced view of his style.
Perhaps he should interview some of the old no-hopers who still roll up (in Ironman's pocket) to provide an ignorant commentary (his words).

The PTN/HTT podcast was by far the worst, nobody came out of that one well. I forget what point he was trying to make, but there was a long analogy about triathlon being like sticking with a partner while they were fat and ugly that was a particular low point.

To be fair, once he’s finally asked his never-ending question, he does pipe down and let his guests answer at length without cutting them off or interrupting. I just forward through his question and then work out the gist of it from the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i tried again today to get through the Brownlee interview. I turned it off with 30 minutes to go.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

The PTN/HTT podcast was by far the worst, nobody came out of that one well. I forget what point he was trying to make, but there was a long analogy about triathlon being like sticking with a partner while they were fat and ugly that was a particular low point.
To be fair, once he’s finally asked his never-ending question, he does pipe down and let his guests answer at length without cutting them off or interrupting. I just [fast] forward through his question and then work out the gist of it from the answer.
Last clause: you and me both!
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 3, 23 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I dare you to listen to the last 5 minutes!
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Tell me you are a knee-jerk anti-American without telling me you a knee jerk anti American.

Pointing out local bias makes me anti-American? SMH. Get over yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
Tell me you are a knee-jerk anti-American without telling me you a knee jerk anti American.

Pointing out local bias makes me anti-American? SMH. Get over yourself.

Except my post did not bely local bias, it made a statement of fact.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stop being a quitter. get more coffee, refuel and finish off that podcast now. ;)

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
New rule, not getting outraged by some podcast behind a pay wall.

rhys wrote:
in fairness, Canada was not cancelled per se. The park is closed where it was held so the event has no venue. That said, I do agree I do not see it coming back to Edmonton. The race was basically a government subsidy event.

US Open is not cancelled. It is moved to Milwaukee.

That at hand, PTO revenue model is not AGers. It media content.

Nah man, that's not what happened. Park was a think. But the thing that happened was the race was dependent on funding from Edmonton to pay a host fee, it was an election year and the city government said no thanks.

Which is weird because apparently the Dallas race was a three year deal, guess where they're not racing?

Election year for who? Municipal election was in 2021. But yes, the city did not/could not commit to the money early enough to make the event happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to sign in just to second your post! I can't think of a person triathlon misses more than Hobbs. If he were still interested, he is probably the one person who could actually draw people in from outside tri... but alas isn't he into roofing now? Long live TRS
Quote Reply

Prev Next