Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree with the sentiment I saw someone else shared that this is probably an improvement considering the conditions. Also would like to add that your position is crazy. I had to double-check it because I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it. Definitely looks fast.

Congrats on your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Wheres the speedo pics? ;)

Well done.

hahah of course how could I forget? (and apologies to finisherpix but I'm not going to lay out $30 for a pic of me in a speedo!)

You've got women AND men checking you out. Congrats on the great race, good luck at IMAZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Wheres the speedo pics? ;)

Well done.

hahah of course how could I forget? (and apologies to finisherpix but I'm not going to lay out $30 for a pic of me in a speedo!)

Rob, I just realized that the 4th flag back from you is the RSA flag. When are you taking me on the Cape Town + Port Elizabeth training camp/IM tour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
AdamHill wrote:
you've convinced me to visit Ero for a new bike fit, so I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks.

good! I wish I had done that 3 years ago!

AdamHill wrote:
Also drooling over that Dimond. Between yours and Borden's testimonials/reports, I am already writing the script on how to convince my wife that a new super bike is an absolutely necessary purchase.

nice... the trick is to get the Dimond painted so that it looks similar to your current bike, and then just swap them out without her noticing. Sometimes it helps to have something really bright (like a red saddle, or red handlebar tape) that you transfer to the new bike. That upholds the illusion that you in fact have the same bike. The main problem with the Dimond is that it doesn't look like any other regular bike, so we may be back to the drawing board on that one, and actually have to convince her for real...

LOL...I had a more elaborate plan. For my next bike upgrade I was going to just have it shipped to your house and since I am in your neighbourhood at least once per month lately, I'd just use my bike from your garage and no one back home would even no it exists. And if I do the same races as you, I'll just leave it pre packed at your place and when you go the airport, just use my Star Alliance number and hopefully we can get both bikes on for free :-). Do you think your wife would be confused if there are two Dimonds in your stable? One would be pretty small though!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Do you think your wife would be confused if there are two Dimonds in your stable? One would be pretty small though!

my wife has given up counting bikes, so your plan should work perfectly!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Do you think your wife would be confused if there are two Dimonds in your stable? One would be pretty small though!

my wife has given up counting bikes, so your plan should work perfectly!
I think between my bikes and my son's bikes we are up to 13 bikes anyway. I'll need a bigger garage as the fleet continuous it's organic expansion, or the expansion may need an international footprint with the satellite presence in silicon valley. I am glad you are offering that real estate space as I don't want to imagine how much it costs...maybe if my Baidu shares catch up with Google shares (LOL)!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
robgray wrote:
You've got women AND men checking you out. Congrats on the great race, good luck at IMAZ.

LOL - I'm not sure which unsettles me the most - the old dude in the hat or that guy in the green shirt's expression...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
robgray wrote:

LOL - I'm not sure which unsettles me the most - the old dude in the hat or that guy in the green shirt's expression...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Edit: Format.
Last edited by: Staz: Oct 18, 14 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle seems extremely tilted down. Does that put a lot of pressure on your elbows? I ride with my saddle almost totally flat. Maybe I am the one that is screwed up. Congrats on a great race.

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [BambooKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an illusion created by the flat kit that's taped on behind th saddle (its on top behind me). The actual saddle angle is very slightly down, about -3 degrees

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a solid race on a tough day! Not a bad IMAZ tuneup workout. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what greens shirt guy is thinking... he's thinking "mmmmm, mmmmm.... you, and me, and her - mmmmm - simultaneous!"

Staz wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
robgray wrote:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Edit: Format.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
I know what greens shirt guy is thinking... he's thinking "mmmmm, mmmmm.... you, and me, and her - mmmmm - simultaneous!"

you just made me spit my coffee in the middle of a meeting. Yes I shouldn't have been on ST during a meeting, but still...

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
Congrats on a solid race on a tough day! Not a bad IMAZ tuneup workout. ;)

thanks Kevin! I'm sure we can find 44 mins to gain in IMAZ:
5 mins on the swim
5 mins in T1 & T2 combined
22 mins on the bike
12 mins on the run

easy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a doubt! Those numbers look realistic to me.

Just be sure to pace yourself very very very conservatively on the swim & bike... we don't want you getting into T2 too much before me... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

I find the PI Octane very easy to run in. Also very easy to slip the sleeves on in T1 if you choose to put them on after the swim, which I recommend for the longevity and desired purpose of the skin suit.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
robgray wrote:

I find the PI Octane very easy to run in. Also very easy to slip the sleeves on in T1 if you choose to put them on after the swim, which I recommend for the longevity and desired purpose of the skin suit.

Definitely going to run in it @ IMAZ. Do you roll it down for wetsuit swims? I've done 4 wetsuit IMs with it (unzipped, but "on") and I was thinking about rolling it down from a pure swim comfort perspective (I feel it's a little constrictive when not rolled down)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I swam with it on in the past but have been rethinking it.

think about the purpose of the suit... to save you minutes on the bike, because it's tight and there are no wrinkles. and then think about what AndyF and Jim@ERO have said about when it *doesn't* fit well... it's not even aero neutral it's slowing you down.

So, given that I'm reconsidering my decision to swim with it on and my decision on sizing. I could probably go a size down (and perhaps a little bit faster on the bike w/ a higher assurance rate of fewer wrinkles) if I just take 10-15sec to slip the sleeves on in T1.

I would only do this for the IM distance... shorter races change the calculus. Pro vs. amateur or mid-pack swimmer vs. FOP swimmer make a difference too.

robgray wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
robgray wrote:

Definitely going to run in it @ IMAZ. Do you roll it down for wetsuit swims? I've done 4 wetsuit IMs with it (unzipped, but "on") and I was thinking about rolling it down from a pure swim comfort perspective (I feel it's a little constrictive when not rolled down)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup - I wear a small these days (used to wear medium) and it's super tight - no wrinkles - makes a difference

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob,
If you had to guess, how many ounces an hour were you drinking on the bike? Also, I have never taken a special needs bag before but am thinking about in Kona this year, did you get one and how slow is it to get?

Thanks for your reports, always good info.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
Rob,
If you had to guess, how many ounces an hour were you drinking on the bike? Also, I have never taken a special needs bag before but am thinking about in Kona this year, did you get one and how slow is it to get?

I'd be guessing, but probably 20-30 ounces of water per hour. I would drink most of the bottle and then pour the rest over me, so that's not exact, just a guess. I just drank to thirst (and I was pretty thirsty!)

I've never taken special needs on the bike. Basically you call your number out before you get to the Hawi turnaround, then after you turn they hand it to you. I don't imagine you'd lose a lot of time, especially if you don't have a lot of stuff to get out the bag.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
jjh wrote:
Rob,

I'd be guessing, but probably 20-30 ounces of water per hour. I would drink most of the bottle and then pour the rest over me, so that's not exact, just a guess. I just drank to thirst (and I was pretty thirsty!)

I've never taken special needs on the bike. Basically you call your number out before you get to the Hawi turnaround, then after you turn they hand it to you. I don't imagine you'd lose a lot of time, especially if you don't have a lot of stuff to get out the bag.

What sucks is you just start getting a tailwind after the turn after a good 30 minutes or more with a uphill cross headwind, so the last thing I'd want to do is stop for special needs. Though I think it's on a slight uphill.

I though with water you'd say "I drank until I my stomach was full". I'm not sure I ever fully quenched my thirst that day... haha.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How slow it is / how long it takes for a volunteer to retrieve your bag is a function of how many athletes are coming into special needs at the same time. If you're rolling in with a group of 50, it could be a minute or so before you get your bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the point of the CO2 and the caffe latex bottle? In what flat situation would you use one or the other?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
What's the point of the CO2 and the caffe latex bottle? In what flat situation would you use one or the other?

Latex is Plan A (30 sec to fix a flat, in Kona most likely cause is a thorn)
CO2 is to top it off if needed

Having said that, I got a flat at IM Boulder this last weekend and neither worked, due to a crappy valve. Was sidelined for 15+ mins. But most other times that strategy has played out well

Quote Reply

Prev Next