Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jen's Hour Record Prep
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGEx84_QQh0

Very interesting slide about Jen's road bike hood position as well as the super interesting Trek Beam bike concept in the background of the interview
Last edited by: justkeepedaling: Sep 11, 14 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is Jen?
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not soft though, I couldn't figure it out but only about 2.1kph difference vs longo superman, IIRC it's about 46 vs 48.1

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on just googling some average speeds from the Olympic and world championship TTs it seems like they're often around 46 km/h on flattish courses but those usually are about 30-40 minutes in duration. Also found that the women's hour record happens to be 46.065 km/h.

This is a picture of that ride from 2003.

So in my unscientific opinion with the new rule changes I'd say they could get close but maybe be just under?
Last edited by: Staz: Sep 11, 14 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To get the men's hour record a woman would have to go 1.6kph faster than longo did in 1996

that might be possible
though the best woman for the job just had surgery I think

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet Jens could do a dead on "girlie man" impression. Neither here nor there, just saying.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think it would take really really good equipment/position setup and a really great effort from a really great rider at a great venue...

I think possible but just barely.

Staz wrote:
So in my unscientific opinion with the new rule changes I'd say they could get close but maybe be just under?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
This is a picture of that ride from 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Leontien_van_Moorsel
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 12, 14 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the bike in the background when the Trek rep was being interviewed?
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
What's the bike in the background when the Trek rep was being interviewed?

My guess is it is a concept bike we may or may not see in a close future. Or the bike Jens will ride.

But I didn't understand correctly( blame that on French being my main language), is he attempting it on a road bike or a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGEx84_QQh0

Very interesting slide about Jen's road bike hood position as well as the super interesting Trek Beam bike concept in the background of the interview

Hehe... the dude is talking about pushing the frontiers of aerodynamics and there's a bike with disc brakes in the background. Made me laugh...

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyclingnews has his record attempt bike in an "exclusive" shoot over on their front page.

Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
Cyclingnews has his record attempt bike in an "exclusive" shoot over on their front page.

Love the quote on his top tube:

"Jens Voigt doesn't normally ride in velodromes, because he doesn't like to lap himself"

Also, the "clock" discs look great from a photo-still perspective, but wouldn't having the numbers rotate around the disc make more sense? rather than just having all numbers on the same axis?
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 12, 14 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my fav:

"The hour record is training for Jens" ha!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Yeah I think it would take really really good equipment/position setup and a really great effort from a really great rider at a great venue...

I think possible but just barely.

Your comment piqued my interest...here are my thoughts:

1. Over 3 km, my wife, Amber Neben, and Kristen Armstrong were essentially all equal.

2. In 2007, Angie could have ridden ~44.5 km in 1 h on the LA track using UCI-legal equipment and position. This estimate is based on the testing we performed there, her power while riding her pursuit bike in a flat 40 km road TT, and her extensive track experience.

3. Assuming she adapted sufficiently to track cycling, Neben could have ridden ~45 km under the same conditions.

3. Based on historical performances and in flat road TTs, an on-form Armstrong would in IMO be a slight favorite over an on-form Neben. Again assuming sufficient adaptation to track cycling, this implies that Armstrong could go slightly more than 45 km on the LA track (I know her CdA, but don't have enough data to reliably estimate her sustainable power, and hence must rely on this sort of apples-to-oranges comparison).

The LA track clearly isn't the fastest in the world, but nonetheless I'm not sure that Armstrong could have broken Morsel's record unless she also went to altitude. Even if she had, though, you can't lose sight of the fact that Moorsel went 46+ km under "Merckx rules".
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 12, 14 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it interesting how the spread on the women's side was only 2.1km or just over 4% but on the mens side 6km or closer to 12%.

I think back in the 90's Longo was the only one seriously going for this on the women's side but on the men's you had Obree, Boardman, Indurain, Romminger etc. The women's looks a lot less "soft"

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Jens Voigt can beat the 1 hour record in under 60 minutes"
"Enough time for Jens Voigt to ride to the moon and back"
"I am mo**** fu***** Jens Voigt"

The bike is full of good lines...aero ones, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I think back in the 90's Longo was the only one seriously going for this

Longo kept leap-frogging her own mark, then Catharine Marsal and Yvonne McGregor held it briefly before Longo got it back. Anna Wilson then set the first new "athlete's record" after which Longo surpassed it (twice). Moorsel then took it by a large margin, which may have discouraged any further attempts.

What's interesting (although not really surprising) is that Moorsel went ~2.5 km further in Mexico City than in Manchester, thus clearly demonstrating the advantage of going to altitude.

(I relied on this article to help refresh my own memory: http://velonews.competitor.com/...new-hour-record_5054)
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Moorsel then took it by a large margin, which may have discouraged any further attempts.

Doing a bit more web-sleuthing reveals that she dedicated almost an entire year to chasing the record. IOW, she didn't just rock-up and attempt to break it based on talent alone (of which she clearly had plenty!), but presumably tried to optimize everything. That may help explain why her record has stood so long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean this one?

http://i.imgur.com/vKoxbj2.png

(image to big to embed)
Last edited by: cambridge_dixie: Sep 12, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Jargon from the article: "To accommodate that chain line in the back, we've also manufactured some custom rear cogs, with the help of Shimano, that are spaced out so that the chain line is optimised. We've made a few different selections of cog sizes for Jens to ensure that he has the right gearing available to him."

So you made it straight?
"Um, in layman's terms, yes"

Also sure looks like they could remove a chain link and tuck that rear wheel up near the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume they tested it, and found the gap between the wheel and frame to be more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Jen's Hour Record Prep [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gap appears intentional, but I'm not sure why.

Maybe a special Kam tail which protects flow better?

Or maybe for some reason a longer wheel base is better for him?

Not sure…

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next