Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Austin
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if Austin will sell out early?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [KBaily] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it ever sells out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? Is it awful? Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very few 70.3s sell out.

As to whether it's awful, there was a thread on it earlier this week on here which you should be able to easily find, you'll find lots of opinions and tips there. It's not a great course and logistics are a bit messy, but I raced it last year and thought it was fine. It's a race and everybody deals with the same things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow.....I wish I hadn't read that!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of the complaints are exaggerated. Traffic does back up race morning, so leave early. The grass burs in T1 are a pain, but just know they're there and carry your bike in/out. The roads are better than they used to be on the bike course. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I think a lot of the complaints are exaggerated. Traffic does back up race morning, so leave early. The grass burs in T1 are a pain, but just know they're there and carry your bike in/out. The roads are better than they used to be on the bike course. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions on it.

+1. I agree

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be great....thanks. I'm super green.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

+2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

Thing is though, it's really not a nice venue. That's just a fact. Can you race on it? Sure. However, I had injury prevent me from starting Buffalo Springs, and instead of signing up for Austin, I'm doing Kerrville (no MDOT, of course). There's just no way I'm doing this course, even though I live here. It's just not worth it. I'd rather find some other race to do.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely do Kerrville over Austin. I lived in Austin for a few years and the course doesn't highlight what makes Austin such a great cycling city. I did the Kerrville olympic last year. It's got that small race charm; High Five Events puts on a hell of a show. I'll be out there again this year for sure, either spectating or racing.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
I'd definitely do Kerrville over Austin. I lived in Austin for a few years and the course doesn't highlight what makes Austin such a great cycling city. I did the Kerrville olympic last year. It's got that small race charm; High Five Events puts on a hell of a show. I'll be out there again this year for sure, either spectating or racing.

+1 for sure. Love Kerrville and they love us every September. Great little town and awesome production company!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:

Hey, I did the Olympic last year too!

Yeah, this is an example of the MDOT leading people to a far inferior venue. I wish Austin 70.3 was up by lake Pflugerville and riding on Parmer. I'd race that.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, that is worse then where it is now...

Put it in a lake west of austin and ride the hill country, much, much better.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well damn, looks like I picked the wrong race for my first mdot event... Shoulda just done Redman again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also highly recommend Kerrville. Big time produced race in a small town- when the river trail there is finished it will be epic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone with data who did the race in the past share your Garmin/Strava data?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. A half up around Pflugerville could be good. The roads are far superior to anything around Decker or even west of Austin. There's very little chip seal, surprisingly.

ETA: I was actually chatting with Jack Murray (Jack and Adams, High Five Events) about this after Jack's Generic on Sunday. I was also pleading my case for them to bring back the plain white "RACE SHIRT", which is still my favorite schwag.
Last edited by: dgunthert: Aug 6, 14 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [stayaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get to the links in here, and the race report might help out as well: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...on-accomplished.html

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was deciding between Austin and Redman for my first HIM. Chose Redman partially b/c of logistics but sounds like it might have been a good choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [HunterJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the roads are pretty crappy at Redman as well. I'm doing the aqua bike there this year, so I guess I'll find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I hear the roads are pretty crappy at Redman as well. I'm doing the aqua bike there this year, so I guess I'll find out.

They are for a bit before the turn around, but overall it was THAT bad.

It's a nice event, but if you like crowds cheering and all that stuff... forget it if you do the full. It's a ghost town, unless you finish around 9 hours.

For the aquabike there might still be a bunch of people hanging around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redman is a great 70.3 and remember they are getting the long distance ITU championship in a year or two, cannot remember. I would almost think sometime before then they would have to fix that back stretch of roads. Fix that and you have a fast course with a dead flat run and no reason to get out of aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

Thing is though, it's really not a nice venue. That's just a fact. Can you race on it? Sure. However, I had injury prevent me from starting Buffalo Springs, and instead of signing up for Austin, I'm doing Kerrville (no MDOT, of course). There's just no way I'm doing this course, even though I live here. It's just not worth it. I'd rather find some other race to do.

I know this is an old thread, so apologies for bringing it to the top. I have read people complaining about the bike course being rough, but what is it about the overall event that would prevent you from participating in it?

As a secondary question, is this a course where you would benefit from a disc wheel? I am not familiar with the winds in the Austin area.

Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next