Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting move from Trek
Quote | Reply
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2015/08/03/trek-begin-online-bike-sales-%E2%80%94-dealers-will-assemble-bikes-and-get-service#.VcDbh_lVhBd

I don't expect any pricing like Canyon or YT Industries because they are not cutting the middleman. Its more like saving floor space for the dealer.
Last edited by: swimfan: Aug 4, 15 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed - an interesting move.

The disruption continues!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the main reasons I have not bought a Trek recently is because I do not like my local distributors. Trek is normally their only option for a road or tri bike and are not normally competitively compared/priced with other local options (Cervelo, Felt and Cannondale).

This move may take that narrowminded shopping pitch away from the LBS, let me come to the product myself and still let the LBS make a profit.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty obvious what is coming. In 1 year, in 5 years, whenever.

Get ready.

(Let's have a prediction thread as to how fast other bike companies get on the bandwagon.)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, it's not hard to see where this road ends. It might not be "the end" for brick and mortar... IMO I don't see mobile repair shops being the be all and end all... but it will thin the heard considerably. A big city like Chicago might be reduced to two or three big bike shops from 10 or 12 now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was happy to use an LBS for my Speed Concept purchase. Their value-add was huge. There was significant investment on their part for multiple fits, fit tweaks, routine maintenance, etc.

What does make me happy about this move is the ability to get parts direct. My LBS isn't convenient for me to get to, I don't require professional assembly for most parts (anything that doesn't impact fit), and I typically know exactly what I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [mcgreggor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the value-add sentiment..

Was recently looking at a bike at my LBS and gave them a heads up I'd be coming in.. They had it setup on the trainer with my fit coordinates and all I had to do was strap on my shoes and hop on for a spin.

I'm also very skeptical about big purchases online, regardless of retailer. I want to see/touch/feel etc. before purchase. Though an LBS could easily keep 4-5 demo bikes on hand to roll around with if they were one of the Trek retailers available online for service
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TylerJ [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly shopify. It's been around since the early 2000s, and the Trek thing doesn't seem like anything new to me. Now, if they shipped a frameset to my house at only 200% markup instead of 400%, THAT would be something new and exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the NeugentCycling Newsletter- thought this was a good take on the Trek move and what it may bring for the industry. Time will tell.

Bicycle Retailer reported that beginning September, Trek will offer bikes for sale online. The bikes will be delivered through their current dealers who will do the assembly and get a service commission. Everyone was waiting for one of the major bike companies to do this. So now the cat is out of the bag it’s only a matter of time for the others to follow.

On the surface, I don’t see any real advantage to the consumer. They will have a bigger selection but they could have special ordered the bike through a shop anyway. Trek now controls the price so getting that special good customer deal from a shop isn’t an option.
Bike shops will make less money but will have lower overheads as they primarily become service centers. It will have a profound effect on the entire industry selling to shops because shops will sell less. If you are a Trek dealer, there’s really not much of an option. Trek by its own estimates sells 30-40% of the bikes sold in bike shops.

Trek will also quickly find out that there is no reason for their sales to increase unless they run promotions – which lower profits. Their competitors will have to do the same. This is the only possible advantage consumers could have.

One of the biggest benefits Trek will have is they will be selling directly to consumers and will have that database for promotion and marketing at a very, very low cost. Communicating a message through independent bike shops has always been a nightmare. Now they can do that directly. No need to go through bike shops or the media to communicate a message when you have everyone’s contact information.

This is, without doubt, the single biggest development in the industry since I have been in it. Let the fireworks begin.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Brunswick / Mongoose basically did this program back in 99/00. Really nothing too innovative, but it does represent a significant move by a major player in the industry. Similarly, Specialized's online program is horribly outdated, as well.

The comments by some of the dealers after that article just kill me. Leave it to the IBD's to have their eyes firmly focused on the rearview mirror.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember when Burton did this. A huge kick in the nuts to all the board shops that made them who they are. This will end the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [mcgreggor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcgreggor wrote:
I was happy to use an LBS for my Speed Concept purchase. Their value-add was huge. There was significant investment on their part for multiple fits, fit tweaks, routine maintenance, etc.

What does make me happy about this move is the ability to get parts direct. My LBS isn't convenient for me to get to, I don't require professional assembly for most parts (anything that doesn't impact fit), and I typically know exactly what I want.

A good bike shop provides good value. But not all of them all are good and there are some that are a pain to deal with.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Yeah, Brunswick / Mongoose basically did this program back in 99/00. Really nothing too innovative, but it does represent a significant move by a major player in the industry. Similarly, Specialized's online program is horribly outdated, as well.

The comments by some of the dealers after that article just kill me. Leave it to the IBD's to have their eyes firmly focused on the rearview mirror.

One of the dealers in the actual article talks about delivering right to customers door. So no need to go to the shop, but having some extra merchindise in the van, you know in case they need pedals or spare tubes. Saying they will now lease smaller shops, but maybe have more vans to service customers. Seems some dealers are thinking ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we all love the economy rolling, and feed more families with each bike purchase but what if direct to consumer method lowers the price? I am not talking about couple of hundreds, something like a $10000 superbike will be shipped to your door for $6000?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Power13 wrote:

One of the dealers in the actual article talks about delivering right to customers door. So no need to go to the shop, but having some extra merchindise in the van, you know in case they need pedals or spare tubes. Saying they will now lease smaller shops, but maybe have more vans to service customers. Seems some dealers are thinking ahead.

Sure, there are always forward-looking dealers who see programs such as this as an opportunity. Those are the guys that survive.

I was talking about some of the dealers in the Comments section which were bemoaning the inevitable demise of the IBD because of this program.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. The article says bikes can be ordered online but will be shipped to a lbs that you specify (you must select an lbs).

Parts will be able to be shipped directly to your door.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I like this direction....

I bought my Trek Madone from LBS, used internet to research. I wanted to see/touch first, but that visceral feedback led me to upgrade...and I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars for something sight unseen. Also, while I did spend a lot of time researching and ruminating, when it came to actually buying, it went down fast and I wanted immediate gratification (i.e. to take my bike home then when I shelled out the $).

When I looked online there were a broad range of prices for the exact same make/model/components, I presume due to business logistics of individual retailers. Would those deals disappear? If my ability to ferret out a better deal within a brand goes away, the only option is to look for value on a another brand?

I'm guessing Trek will take over control of the prices across channels, much like Temper-Pedic has done to ensure that there are no better deals for their mattresses. If you believe there is no other option for your bed, you will pay, but if you think you can get a better deal by another maker, you'll do that.

Which leads me to this: Cervelo P3?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to wonder if this will end up hurting Trek because their dealers will have less incentive to keep stock on the floor in the store. With fewer bikes on the floor, there are fewer options for people to test ride the bike they want in their size. I know a big part of why I bought the bike I did and where I bought it came from the ability to test ride a bunch of different bikes at different dealers. If Trek's decision ends up causing some of the LBSs to stop carrying as many bikes on the floor, will Trek end up losing sales for customers who won't buy a bike they haven't had a chance to ride first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimfan wrote:
While we all love the economy rolling, and feed more families with each bike purchase but what if direct to consumer method lowers the price? I am not talking about couple of hundreds, something like a $10000 superbike will be shipped to your door for $6000?

I like that idea, but I have a hard time believing that it would happen. If anything, direct-to-consumer potentially removes some bargaining out of the equation. The LBS might be willing to negotiate within their margin to move that $10,000 bike, but the direct-to-consumer can eliminate that element, and the consumer might actually lose some leverage. You don't get the $10,000 bike for $9,000 unless they have a sale - you're now forced to operate on their (less flexible) terms.

As a consumer, I guess I can see advantages and disadvantages here.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am unclear on whether consumers can buy a Trek online, or must but online. Are all bike sales through shops gone? For shops that support teams it seems like it would make it much more difficult to do discounted orders, pro deals, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horses for courses.

Some people like online shopping. Some like the LBS. the trek approach is just adding another niche way of buying. It will suit some people and not others. It's too early to predict the death of the LBS however.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting move from Trek [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the article to mean you can still purchase from the LBS (though their selection/inventory may be smaller)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is designed for consumers like me: prefer online shopping. I over analyze all my purchasing decisions thus I usually know more about the product than the sales person. I'm not a big fan of 'buy local' campaigns, but I'm also an economist.

Quote | Reply
There used to be a bike shop near me that you could order a bike and then get it a few months later at a lttle better price. What they would do it use the money you paid for your bike to order the person's bike that was in the shop a month before you.

That left me wary about purchasing a bike from any shop that didn't have it in stock. This move would take a little bit of that fear out of the process.
Quote Reply

Prev Next