Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, tigerchik. Exactly how I feel.... Ultimately, I should have said something more right then and there but it was sooo awkward (crickets chirpring filled silence and all). I felt outnumbered because her husband was there, too. I am a wuss for sure but was also confounded by this behaviour - it just took me so aback that I had nothing to come back with.
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [MagicGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're not a wuss. That's a hard situation.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to a benefit once and donated $100. Now I know that a portion of that went to the paid organizers of the event, a portion to the rental and other expenses, and a portion got to the intended cause. Appears that she may feel that she is entitled to a cut since she gathered the donations, probably had costs associated with getting the goods to the intended, and took the time to deliver the goods. I wouldn't have done it. You wouldn't have done it. But maybe she felt it was okay.

You could have sold the bike on EBay or somewhere and sent cash. But that would have taken time and EBay gets their cut too.

Either way it doesn't diminish your kindness and generousity.

Who knows? If you see her in 3 months she might tell you that the ultegra stuff fell apart and she wished she had the 105 back.
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, the world is turning! I AGREE W/MARTIN! ;-)

Excellent response here:

"Hi Shirl. How are you? Good, good. Hey, listen, I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that my Ultegra components aren't included in the donation like I intended them to. I think I would like the bike back, I think I've found someone without a bike who could really use it. Can I come by and get it? Let me know when the best time would be. Thanks so much for all your help. Have a wonderful trip. See you at the pool!"

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is it with all these people mentioning "karma"?!

I'm sure it's a beautiful concept but... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN... Get off fantasy island NOW!!!
Remember the Jonas post. Oh, it will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like mostly two schools of thought on this -

1. Let it go, but don't donate to her again.
2. Mention it to her.

I say #2. If she did do something this uncharitable, then let her know, so she doesn't do it again (re: shame her). Refusing to donate again might hurt the charities themselves - at least this gal is out there picking up donations; that's better than nothing. I think the best response I saw was to ask her to donate the $$ difference to the Cuba club. Win-win-win.
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll flat on a race using your tire, is that the sort of thing your thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Exactly how was she a) planning to visit Cuba; and B) bring extra gear and give it to a local organization?"

I'd assume these people are not Americans. American citizens are the only people in the world prohibited from visting Cuba. My wife and I (Canuks) have been there a few times on scuba diving holidays. Lots of Euros, Canadians and South Americans visit Cuba. In fact, I've even met Japanese tourists there.

I know a guy who does something similiar with used baseball equipment. He takes down a bunch of donated equipment every time he visits the island.

Leaving Castro and politics out of it, the Cuban people are very nice and their island is a wonderful place to visit.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Apr 19, 06 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend: "Hi, I'm collecting for the Cancer Society, would you care to make a donation?"

MagicGirl: "I'd love to....here's $15."

Friend: "THANKS! I was only hoping for $10...maybe I'll just stop and get a drink after work with the extra $5!"

What's the difference. There aren't varying degrees of scum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point there is no way to know if the bike will be donated at all... Maybe it is on Ebay.

If I were you I would probably as for the bike back.
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [runbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only wish I could get the bike back - unfortunately she's already there with bike in hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe her 105 is newer than your ultegra grouppo and by switching she does a poor cuban a favor :)

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU RULE for giving to what you thouhgt was a good cause, pat yourself on the back and move on.

Next time maybe look for a local KIDS Triathlon club to help out instead of adults as you may have just learned adults have there own agenda's and kids just want to PLAY.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell her you forgot and need a receipt because the bike is fairly valuable and you are planning on deducting it. Make sure she includes a tax id number.

btw, this chriStmas i'm going to organize A toys for tots dRive. i'd like to have everyone send me some good presents. Then I'm going to keep the best ones for my kids and give a bunCh of their old cheAp crap to the other kidS. cool? They won't know the dIfferenCe right?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw, this chriStmas i'm going to organize A toys for tots dRive. i'd like to have everyone send me some good presents. Then I'm going to keep the best ones for my kids and give a bunCh of their old cheAp crap to the other kidS. cool? They won't know the dIfferenCe right?

Wow, that's just like The Da Vinci Code.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good idea about the tax reciept thing - a couple of others suggested that and I think it's a good start to the conversation. Then I can kinda just say "so what ever happened with the bike - do you switch the parts?"...and then..say my piece. I won't be able to be an ass, just not in my nature and how I got into this pickle in the first place but I really think that I should let her know that her actions were out of line. Anyone wanna come and say it for me? Only jokin'....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could mention that the value of your donation has been deminished by her plundering. IF she wants to devalue the gift she needs to repair the value...IE give money (and have proof of the gift) to the Cuba Triathlon Community.

This won't be fun but she will no that your gift was not intended for her benefit.

good luck

Dusty

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, what she did was lame, but to me it seems fair as an admin fee for taking the time to get all the other stuff to Cuba. She is making it happen and deserves a couple of slightly newer parts. And what's more, the newbie who is getting her parts instead of your isn't going to notice the slight weight difference.

There was no written agreement, so chew her out if you'd like, but at least she is doing something good, and kudos to her for that.
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can see your point, but just not sure why the "admin fee" had to come at my expense. I realize that the Cubans won't be aware of what they were supposed to be getting - and wouldn't notice the weight difference but that's not the point. I definately won't chew her out - but I would like to have her tell me what exactly she did and then maybe ask her why she felt that she should have done it. I agree, she was doing something good, but I was also trying to do something good...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm starting a charity for poor Portuguese triathletes.

Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, what she did was lame, but to me it seems fair as an admin fee for taking the time to get all the other stuff to Cuba. She is making it happen and deserves a couple of slightly newer parts. And what's more, the newbie who is getting her parts instead of your isn't going to notice the slight weight difference.

There was no written agreement, so chew her out if you'd like, but at least she is doing something good, and kudos to her for that.
How does Magicgirl know if there even IS a Cuban tri club?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I got swindled...Moral Dilemna help please! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least they don't drink gin...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friggin' lame if you ask me.

If I had to see this person again, I would definately mention that it bothered me that she swapped out the parts. You'll find out a lot about her character based on her reaction. Maybe afterwards, she realized how lame it was and is too embarrassed to apologize.

At least get it off your chest....otherwise, you'll have a hard time forgetting about it.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next