Prev Next
IM France 2017: promenade denied
Quote | Reply
Looks like they have to find a new venue/course

http://www.nicematin.com/...de-des-anglais-81550
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this is having an impact on the selection of the 2018 Ironman 70.3 World Championships location as well.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welp, I guess I'm transferring out of this one. If it even goes forward.

Is there any other place there that they can put the course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only chunk of road close to the beach in Nice besides the Promenade is just to its east but these beaches are privately owned by hotels etc. So I don't think that will be doable. The only option would be to move anywhere between Antibes and Saint-Laurent du Var.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
I wonder if this is having an impact on the selection of the 2018 Ironman 70.3 World Championships location as well.

Well, they are officially late in making the announcement if we use last year as an example. However, this would only be an issue if Nice had been their chosen venue. I'm still hoping for Budapest even if Dev doesn't like it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The only chunk of road close to the beach in Nice besides the Promenade is just to its east but these beaches are privately owned by hotels etc. So I don't think that will be doable. The only option would be to move anywhere between Antibes and Saint-Laurent du Var.

Perhaps a date change to late July or August. Does it get a lot hotter in those months? It seems they are just keeping the promenade closed to events through mid-July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total bummer. My IM plan for 2018 was Nice. I understand why though. Their world changed this year.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason the race is in June is that it's before the big summer rush (July and August). They can't hold the race later because it will be a traffic nightmare. And the area is already in nightmare in July and August. There is no way any of the municipalities involved will say yes to a race at that time.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Total bummer. My IM plan for 2018 was Nice. I understand why though. Their world changed this year.
Maybe.

But why the arbitrary date cutoff? It seems they're opening it back up just in time for the really busy months (which would be MORE of a security risk).

Also to some degree I feel like these kind of measures are just letting the bad guys win. I visited Kiev not long after the Boston Marathon bombing. They had a marathon there and it was secured by their military. They were not messing around -- there was a soldier every 50 feet or so along the 2-lap course.

I'm not saying that's realistic for an entire Ironman but the run course in Nice covers so little ground that it's certainly possible, if the politicians wanted to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sept would be fine

Im not sure where they can go if were being practical.

East you'd have to got past villefranche

West - before antibes not muchh. Then antibes, juan les pins, then cannes and i don't see them helping out

Not sure even if you could figure out the swim and bike transition where the run would go

Bearing in mind they pulled it forward a month for the euro's pushing it till sept might be an option
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sept would be fine indeed. Actually when I raced the LD there hmmm...19 years ago, it was held in late September.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
rhys wrote:

Maybe.

But why the arbitrary date cutoff? It seems they're opening it back up just in time for the really busy months (which would be MORE of a security risk).

It's not arbitrary. It's closed to events until the one year anniversary of the attack out of respect for the families, if I'm reading the article correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there 10 days ago

Early sept was fabulous

I'm guessing its pushed and people are offered a transfer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're reading correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think thats more than reasonable given the memorial is at the top of the ramp from the swim........its just weird being there at the top and thinking just 90 days earlier i was stumbling up it and the world was a different place

Its a very sad, subdued and somber place and i think pushing it till sept would be best all round........

What slightly freaked me out was that we were still in nice opening weekend of the euro's and i'd not take my kids to thr fan zones because i thought if something was going to happen this summer it would have been then. That went fine then in july........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:

It was a two city race after the attack happened. There was no way Nice was going to be considered after that. Hate to say it but that's just reality.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:

It was a two city race after the attack happened. There was no way Nice was going to be considered after that. Hate to say it but that's just reality.

Yeah, I hate it for that to be the reason. Honestly though it does have some impact (no matter the reality or if people deem it silly). I know there's no way I could talk my wife into doing a race there.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know people will not be persuaded to go but its not rational if only because these nutters would not know what a triathlon is if it jumped up and bit them in the arse

Its - relative to a football match or the bastille day crowds - a small event.

I think these days theres a far greater risk being in a major capital or city than at a triathlon but i know people will feel thw way you describe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
spudone wrote:
rhys wrote:

Maybe.

It's not arbitrary. It's closed to events until the one year anniversary of the attack out of respect for the families, if I'm reading the article correct.

I understand it. But I wonder what the victims families think?

Given the locals were dumping rubbish (garbage) and spitting on the place where the attacker died. I think we underestimate the French publics resolve not to bow to terrorism. And the solidarity of their anger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6UJ35r9GNI

I did consider IM Nice for the future. Still on my mental maybe list for 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:

Yeah, I hate it for that to be the reason. Honestly though it does have some impact (no matter the reality or if people deem it silly). I know there's no way I could talk my wife into doing a race there.

Registrations for France must be low since the attack because I have seen a few marketing efforts from WTC lately that included this race. You know, the way they usually push Canada, CDA, etc. Didn't it sell out within a few weeks in past years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Registrations for France must be low since the attack because I have seen a few marketing efforts from WTC lately that included this race. You know, the way they usually push Canada, CDA, etc. Didn't it sell out within a few weeks in past years?

I hope they continue the race and it does great. I hope it's like Boston 2014, where everyone wanted to do it after the bombs in 2013.

I remember back after 9/11 that I was upset that the NFL cancelled games because I felt like because of that, the terrorists had won.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see the reductions, as I'd go in a minute! Hope to run across some.....pass them on if you see them. I have done Nice and the entire trip was awesome. I have no qualms as to traveling to those areas. Live.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I know people will not be persuaded to go but its not rational if only because these nutters would not know what a triathlon is if it jumped up and bit them in the arse

Its - relative to a football match or the bastille day crowds - a small event.

I think these days theres a far greater risk being in a major capital or city than at a triathlon but i know people will feel thw way you describe

Has WTC rescheduled this? Sep would be awesome....maybe we even get lucky enough for a no wetsuit swim
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Setembre would be nice but a little close to IM vichy which is always last weekend of august. I know some people that were racing both. But I guess it will only be a problem for very few people.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The LD used to be late September. That would give enough time. The issue then is that the slots for Kona would go to the following year.
Given the area, and where else they can have the swim, I'm willing to bet they change the date.
Quote Reply

Prev Next