Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder
Quote | Reply
Need advice on which one to sign up for this year. It will be a donation to the IM Foundation either way but have finally narrowed it down to those two choices. Thoughts, feedback appreciated. Have gone back and forth for a while and have pros and cons for both.

Excited to go to Colorado, never been, lots to see and do afterwards and make a family vaca out of it, but also never trained or raced at altitude.

Sort of familiar with Chattanooga area, still no bike or run courses made official yet. This would be a go and race and come home, kids are back in school so no vacation after or before.

So what says Slowtwitch , you decide!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand that comment about the Chattanooga courses not being "official yet." Are any course official? I thought they were always subject to change. Those courses got great reviews, I would only expect minor changes if any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited to go to Colorado, never been, lots to see and do afterwards and make a family vaca out of it

Enough said...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing boulder!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be excited about where you are racing, it should provide motivation during training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't paid attention to the Chatt bike course changes (which are substantial I believe because of the issue we had with some folks that lived on the course) but it was an absolutely fantastic race last year. Good swim, beautiful ride, and a tough but good run. Also, Chatt is a great town - your family would have no problem having a good time there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution to this problem is going to Boulder for Boulder Peak/Vacation and then racing Chattanooga. Best of both worlds- get a chance to check out Boulder, Altitude racing, etc and still get to do IM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see the new bike course? You will be doing Nelson road the non-fun way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One nice feature of chatt is the free electric shuttle, easy for everyone to get around.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill let you in on a little secret... The Chatt courses won't be changing much! Small change on the run to mimic the 70.3 on the southside but thats about it. We got great reviews and the race was incredibly well received by the locals. Those two folks who tried to ruin the race with tacks and oil were the exception, not the norm. Did you see the crowds in Chickamauga?

Brian - "Some WTC Guy"
Last edited by: endurathonrd: May 1, 15 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all the replies, especially those from "some wtc guy" who might know a thing or two about the Chatt course and whats going on. Lots of options to weigh. You know if you free the water Brian, you maybe able to sway my decision.

Also Nelson the bad way, what does this mean for a guy 10 states away?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Nelson the bad way" = gradual westbound slog uphill on some "heavy road" - always feels like you're putting out more power than you actually are and just seems to take forever just to go a couple miles even though the grade isn't that bad.

Going east however, it's a screamer.

Quote | Reply
Normally people ride out of the res and north westerly on 36 towards 66/Ute Highway and then take a right turn on Neva/Nelson/66 depending on how far they want to go. On all three of those right turns you fly down a gradual downhill and it is fun as hell. Going west on it is nowhere near as exciting. Totally doable, don't get me wrong, but the nice road condition and relatively few cars make it a blast to go fast on.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The slow way (up Nelson) gives you a good view of the bison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which did you select?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Denver and did the Boulder race last year. Great venue, of course, but beware the potential for heat in August in Boulder. We cooked on the run last year. The bike course was not really exemplary of what could/should be possible in the Rocky Mountains, but I understand it is changing a bit this year, but still not too much in the way of hills. Maybe that's good for flatlanders. I'm doing Chattnooga instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
Did you see the new bike course? You will be doing Nelson road the non-fun way.
i'm not from the area so i don't really know, what is the new course effectively? harder? easier? run course? more elevation at x? idk what it all really means
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last years course had something like 20 miles of very flat to 1.5 to 2% up gradient on the eastern planes. It wasn't a technical challenge but it was an emotional one, since there was no wind break and you were out in the middle of freakin nowhere. This year the elevation gain is higher and the hills are punchier, a little more rolling, but there are a couple of good speed banks. I would say this course is easier, but not dramatically. If you guys come out here for some pre-race training there are a bunch of people who ride out of the res or Tom Watson every weekend so let us know and we give you the preview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hope that doesn't hurt my booty too bad!!! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drum roll please..... a decision has finally been made

Chattanooga TN is the winner, actually the IM Foundation is the big winner!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like an "epic" bike ride this year either. Farmlands. Flat. zzzzzz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats, you will love Chat
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, you will love Chatt. I was just down there this past week and it reminded me again how much I love the area and the race. So much to do and really nice course. You could not have gone wrong with either choice but I am happy for ya that you chose IM CHOO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it last year. You will be pleased with your choice. Chattanooga is an awesome venue for an IM event.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga or IM Boulder [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both great races but Im happy to hear you choose Chatt. Ive had a blast here and love the city and the race. I moved here just over a year ago to get ready for the inaugural IMChoo and never thought I would stay. Now I have no plans on leaving, just a great city to call home.
Quote Reply

Prev Next