Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!!
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

So here I am, supposed to be really ramping it up for Moo and the LAST thing I want to do is get out there to train. I am just coming out of a recovery week and it still isn't any better. Worst thing is, I am not even training much. I did 13h, 13h, 9h, 6.5h, the last 4 weeks and feel like total junk, before that I had two really low weeks (~4h) due to other 'life' stuff, before that I as doing 8-10h avg for a couple of months. There's a lot of stress in my life besides the training, but knowing that just doesn't help.
Moo's my 3rd iron distance after GFT and Duke Blue Devil, and backing out is not an option, everything is already paid for. So what do I do?
I did like two 100mile rides so far, one 3h run, one 3.5 h run this past weekend (bonked on it, hence the +0.5h), was going to do two more 100 milers and one 18-20mile (~3.5-4h) run, then taper three weeks out from race. I kind of stuck to doing the long stuff on the weekends but my training during the week just drags. I hardly swim...
I am not so worried about being able to do the distance, I guess I could drag my butt through it, but I have never had such a total low in motivation before a big race. And I am not even training much at all. I am waiting for motivation to come back but it is just gone. Any advice anyone? I think maybe I ramped up the long stuff a little too early this year, too dragged out, as I am doing the long rides and long runs on different weekends. Well, was just hoping for some motivational ST talkin' I guess.
Thanks in advance!
Silvie
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [vivie1072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [vivie1072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but I'd suggest just not even thinking about the race for another week or so. At this point, extra training won't make as big a difference as a positive attitude will. Take more time off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh boy.. do i know how you feel right now. you can search my posts and read the same.. well I guess you need to remind yourself that you want to do the race and do things to get excited. sort of like a refocusing session. what works for me is watching past IM videos while on the trainer or just watching them.

find people to do stuff with. you are almost there, send emails and ask who would like to join you for this or that. it forces you to start the workout by meeting a friend.

Take a nap.. schedule a morning to sleep in.. eat good or get someone to bring cook meals... go get a message or take a yoga class.

the thing is once you do your workouts, you will feel better. If all that doesn't work, maybe take a couples days off to refocus and start by doing the "key" workouts. If you have a coach, definilty talk to them, maybe there is something "off" with the intensity or the session or maybe you just need some encouragement, we all do:-)

so you know, you are not alone, think about race day, the hard work, the finish line... I am not a coach, I just speak from experience:-)
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you!!! -

just what I needed! sitting here crying now, sure puts things in perspective!
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

thing is, my training partner just moved away, that doesn't help, and I am sleeping in WAYY too much, and still feel tired all the time.

You are right, once I do the workouts I feel better - mostly anyway.

But I know you are FOP, and qualified for Kona, I am nowhere near that. I had decent placings in the small races I did, but rather lousy times. And I am training wayyy less than I should or that you ever were I am sure.

But thanks, I will research some of your posts and take your advice on the other things. I don't have a coach, can't afford one at this point, nor do I like my training too structured, but I guess self-coaching makes it easy to do things the wrong way.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and laughing now! you guys are the best!! thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its hard to watch that and not get all teary eyed.

There's not really anything I can add.............

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my.. well it doesn't matter if you are FOP or BOP I think we all go thru same stuff. You have no idea how many times I just walked out for a run, and 5 min later, walked back in tears.. add hormones to that and bam! This year was better than last for sure.. hang in there and like I said, find some fun stuff, new ride, fun pool, good friends and reward yourself with rlaxing things:-) crossing that finsih line is an amazing feeling.. think of that:-0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is one post.. march of 05 (got me the reputation of being a basket case on ST:-)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=355829;search_string=search_string;#355829
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks so much, haven't checked out the other thread yet; thing is, I am not so sure I even really WANT to do the race. And that "finish line", well, the first time around I was just really depressed and thouroughly p.'d off at myself for a lousy time, missing my time goal by 1.5 h.

The second time around it was great, it was my birthday, I PRd the first by 1.5h and I placed real well, since it was such a tiny tiny race.

But still, I never got that AMAZING finish line feeling. Though I wanna think I want to do the race, else I wouldn't have paid the whole trip incl. bike transport already. And it will be my first M-dot. But, at the same time, Moo is supposedly a very hard course, I don't exactly excel at climbing, and my run, oh well, won't even go there...

thing is, ususally I race much more during the season, not this year, it's like the fire is gone, I am afraid of placing badly and the dissappointment that follows (weird, since last year was one of my better years and I placed I think all races (I only raced small venues))....this year I only raced once so far, St. Anthony's and not particularly well, ok for MOP I guess)

will check out your other thread now.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps your training during the wek drags because you are doing too much on the weekends. That 3.5 -4 hour run seems excessive and even the 3 hour run is too long in some coach's books...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
checked the thread, thanks, sounds very much like me, only, I am not supposed to be tapering yet ;(:(:

not for another two weeks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you read down the thread, desert dude keeps saying I have been complaining for weeks:-) anyway botom line is I was totally demotivated, and totally drained and I ended upo qualifying for kona. so the moral here is it that it happens and things will still be ok, whatever your goal is, and as I long as you taper well:-)
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - Moo's around the corner and I'm in total burnout!! [canadafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get up to 4+h runs when training for stand-alone marathons and while I wasn't doing particularly well (done two so far, 3:55 and 3:50) they are still much better than my IM marathons (5h and 5++h) :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two thoughts, 1) Not wanting to train with the hours you have been putting in, suggests stress other than training which you have mentioned, and questionable nutrition/recovery. Are you eating well/properly? 2) With the hours you have been putting in, I would think a two week taper would be just fine. That would give you an extra week to get in some confidence building workouts.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're training for an IM, not a stand alone marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go some place cool and revive yourself for a week.

Quote | Reply
Dear god, you didn't sign up for your local turkey trot. You won't be able to quit on race day, so why now? Motivate yourself. The hardest part of training is the first lap of the swim, the first pedal of the bike and the first step of the run. You made a commitment to yourself. Keep it. Show yourself that you are better than a shakedog. Remember, there are millions of people that would give anything to be able swim, bike or run. When you're latched onto a dialysis machine or getting shot up with chemo, you REALLY CAN'T do it. You can. Now stop whining like a little girl, suck it up and go have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what everyone else has said, DROP THE LONG RUNS!! Everything I've ever read says no more than 2.5 hours. Run shorter, and more frequent. At this point, you've hit the long runs. Get rest and track how much you sleep every night from here on out (it forces you to be accountable to getting sleep).

Also, don't get obsessed with performance metrics like mph on the bike and mile splits during training, they will vary, a lot, that's part of training for an IM. Just because you average X during one week, you may not average 1.1X the next, in fact, it may be .9X. Remember to go easy on the easy days and hard on the hard days.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree... you don't need to run 3+ hours! Especially if you are out in the sun and heat!

The atmosphere at IM races is electric. Don't worry, once you get there, you will be excited. So for now, just be smart! Train smart, sleep lots, eat well... If you guys end up getting that hurricane, oh well. It's a sign you need to take it easy for a couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat. I am going force myself to have a big weekend and then slow down and enjoy life until the race.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply

Prev Next