Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting as I think Garmin is starting to move in the right direction in regards to smart devices but really what I want and will pay good money for is below. (I own and have had almost zero issues with 310)

Which list for Garmin 9XX (please listen to me Garmin)
1) Ant+ (don't want to switch power meter and sensors)
2) Small size (would like to use often if not all the time)
3) long enough battery life....lets say 18hrs
4) Easy sync for download...ant+ does not work all the time
5) Customizable display of course
6) And the one that really is killer for me is to have the ability to switch mode to Golf! I know most triathletes are not golfers but I am and would prefer to have one watch. These watches now don't have to be single purpose since the are HW platforms with essentially apps built on top of some kind of OS (whether it be custom, android, ios, etc). To me Garmin would open up a huge market for themselves if they offered "apps" to upgrade the watch products from single use to multi use modes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does, I sync my 810 and Fenix 2 from my Note 3. The andriod device needs to have BlueTooth smart however.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ehh...I'm not going to be the guinea pig on this one. I am currently enjoying a 2-3 year technology lag during which time I allow others to iron out the kinks in software while I can have a better product later for a lower price.

I bought two hot-off-the-presses 220s--one for my mom, one for my girlfriend, and got to enjoy the early technical issues vicariously through them. Not happening again.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluetooth "Smart" is just Bluetooth 4.0+ right?

Edit: answered my own question...my droid maxx is on the list...http://www.bluetooth.com/...rt-Devices-List.aspx

I tweet!

Last edited by: ZackCapets: Sep 5, 14 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
Interesting as I think Garmin is starting to move in the right direction in regards to smart devices but really what I want and will pay good money for is below. (I own and have had almost zero issues with 310)

Which list for Garmin 9XX (please listen to me Garmin)
1) Ant+ (don't want to switch power meter and sensors)
2) Small size (would like to use often if not all the time)
3) long enough battery life....lets say 18hrs
4) Easy sync for download...ant+ does not work all the time
5) Customizable display of course
6) And the one that really is killer for me is to have the ability to switch mode to Golf! I know most triathletes are not golfers but I am and would prefer to have one watch. These watches now don't have to be single purpose since the are HW platforms with essentially apps built on top of some kind of OS (whether it be custom, android, ios, etc). To me Garmin would open up a huge market for themselves if they offered "apps" to upgrade the watch products from single use to multi use modes.

1-5 are completely reasonable. For #6 I am not-so-secretly hoping you don't get your wish. I don't want to pay extra for what essentially amounts to a different technology set that only a niche would use (i.e Garmin's Approach series + built in course maps). Besides, why would Garmin kill their Approach line to offer some bastard combination of a triathlon and golf watch?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it is precisely my point that it should not burden you or anyone else. I want something that is customizable to me for my life and it is what someone will eventually deliver if not Garmin (think Iphone as first customizable app phone). I want a watch that is form and fit of what I want and function is customizable. This is where Garmin needs to go or they will lose market share.

BTW, the Garmin approach series in my n=1 experience has not penetrated the golf market. I do not own one and will not buy one as I don't want another gadget. Also the biggest thing to note is that I know of one golfer out of probably 30-40 golfers I know that has one.

I would guess that Garmin has this in the works but maybe not. Maybe they are thinking like you that they need to "protect" their markets and not cannibalize anything. I am a huge fan of Garmin products and hope they continue to innovate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else surprised that Power13 apparently saw a 920 xt in the flesh, but not so much as a peep on it at any outlets? Power13, was the watch in the possession of a garmin employee or something?

I'm kinda sorry for being dubious! (But not really).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
No, that is not a typo....new 920XT. saw one the other night at the local tri store. Apparently not announced yet.

Very low profile, WiFi enabled, Bluetooth so you can read texts / e-malls, ANT+, color screen (don't think it was touch screen).

Will not require foot pod for running inside and use arm movement...Unit will "learn" your run speed based on arm cadence vs. GPS data so when you run inside, it is more accurate.

Multiple color options...the one I saw was red w/ white trim. Looked pretty sweet overall

Didn't catch $$ or availability date.....but it looked like it was ready to roll. I'm guessing 5 bones, though.

But no picture? Was it up for sale, or a demo unit? How do you know all of the above specs? If this is legitimate, why isn't there any information at all at Garmin.com? They're not going to release a demo unit (even an empty one) into the wild without some sort of announcement or a placeholder page at the very least.

Sorry, but I'm very suspicious of this...

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin likes to put out new products instead of improving existing products. Now this is a little different due to a technology change, but the 910xt still has some flaws that could be easily ironed out with a little TLC.

As somebody else has mentioned, there is NO WAY I'd buy this product at launch.

As for Garmin/Stages, the finger pointing between Garmin and Stages was enough for me to buy Quarq.

Quote | Reply
YTS wrote:
Is anyone else surprised that Power13 apparently saw a 920 xt in the flesh, but not so much as a peep on it at any outlets? Power13, was the watch in the possession of a garmin employee or something?

Yes, it was shown by the local Garmin rep. Our LTS was hosting a Garmin Run Night event. Customers could try out different Garmin units, etc. I don't think they could run w/ the 920, however. (I wasn't running that night)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
YTS wrote:

Yes, it was shown by the local Garmin rep. Our LTS was hosting a Garmin Run Night event. Customers could try out different Garmin units, etc. I don't think they could run w/ the 920, however. (I wasn't running that night)

And still no picture or a link to relevant literature...?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitknight wrote:
Power13 wrote:
No, that is not a typo....new 920XT. saw one the other night at the local tri store. Apparently not announced yet.

Very low profile, WiFi enabled, Bluetooth so you can read texts / e-malls, ANT+, color screen (don't think it was touch screen).

Will not require foot pod for running inside and use arm movement...Unit will "learn" your run speed based on arm cadence vs. GPS data so when you run inside, it is more accurate.

Multiple color options...the one I saw was red w/ white trim. Looked pretty sweet overall

Didn't catch $$ or availability date.....but it looked like it was ready to roll. I'm guessing 5 bones, though.

But no picture? Was it up for sale, or a demo unit? How do you know all of the above specs? If this is legitimate, why isn't there any information at all at Garmin.com? They're not going to release a demo unit (even an empty one) into the wild without some sort of announcement or a placeholder page at the very least.

Sorry, but I'm very suspicious of this...

Fair enough....I guess I can understand the suspicion. I was surprised the rep was showing it as well.

Just passing along what I saw and was told.....I have zero reason to make up something this silly.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
.hmm...I wonder if someone would buy a 910xt cheap so I can upgrade;)
If you're thinking of selling a 910xt to upgrade PM me if/when that day happens. I may be interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been googling 920XT all day since reading this thread this morning...Nothing online about it other than pre-existing speculation...I guess we will know more about it in a few days(weeks).

How many times have new product launches been leaked due to a tester or designer "leaving" it at a bar....

Rick Loving
S Chicago
2012 9.9 Speed Concept
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitknight wrote:
Power13 wrote:
YTS wrote:

And still no picture or a link to relevant literature...?

I wasn't gonna be a d*ck and start taking pics of the thing with the guy right in front of me. As for literatures, he said it was unannounced, so no surprise he didn't show any lit.

I honestly don't care if you believe me or not.....like I said, just passing along what I saw / heard.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Mate I'd be happy with the bloody thing just telling the time In a standby mode as per the 610.... Ie not on GPS so as to use as a standard watch on swim training days.

Cheers.

This has been available for a long time! If not since launch, it was introduced over a year ago.

First: Make a Data page have one data field: Time of Day. It is probably best to make this in the "Other" sport category, so that it won't interfere with your SBR pages.
Then: Disable GPS
On boot-up, when it has the bar graph and "Loading Satellites, please wait", click the "Enter" button. That will prompt "Use Indoors?" Select Yes.
Otherwise, Go into main menu, "GPS" - "GPS Status" - "Enabled" - "No"

Boom...it is a watch! With the GPS off, it'll last a long time.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
Did cleaning out the altimeter port work for you? I have given it one go using a (lazy) modification of this method, to no change. If there are others who have had this work I will give it another go. Otherwise I will probably just live with post activity corrections.

I just used dish detergent, cut all of the bristles from a toothbrush barring one set (they usually clump the bristles in rows, I cut all but one clump and leave that brush in my spree box). Leave the watch to soak for a minute, put some detergent on the bristles, stick them in both holes to the bottom and have a good mush round for a minute or two, rinse, repeat. Switch on and see if it works. If not, just do it again. Like I say, sometimes it might take more than one go.

I have a 100% success rate on both mine and others who had the same issue that asked me to fix it. I did have to do my one three times once though, not sure what crap I had in there but it obviously took a while to dissolve and shift.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, and that's a great work around.
I will do it fr sure but I meant a functionality like a 610 for instance
Ie without having to change sport to go from watch mode etc...
Not that that's a big problem .

Again thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have "the one" ;)
Treasure it......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
Did cleaning out the altimeter port work for you? I have given it one go using a (lazy) modification of this method, to no change. If there are others who have had this work I will give it another go. Otherwise I will probably just live with post activity corrections.

It does make for some fun Strava comments when I do 15000 m of climbing in 10k or so though.

Tried cleaning mine. Didn't work. Called Garmin and they sent me a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:

It does make for some fun Strava comments when I do 15000 m of climbing in 10k or so though.

Yes…this works. Use a toothpick also to really get the crud out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
You have "the one" ;)
Treasure it......

Haha, well, I've had three. One at the bottom of a lake, one toast after a fall and my new one. All worked fine. As do the units of all of the people that I know. I appreciate that there are issues but the internet is far better at promoting the rough end of the stick.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
I guess the cat is out of the bag. 920XT releases within the month (#KONA)

Where? I don't see anything on your site re: the watch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next