Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 520 [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Jason N wrote:
I do like the smaller overall profile, 5 more hours of battery life (claimed), and the improved color contrast.
5 more hours than what? I thought it had a shorter operating life than the 500 and 510. Still, at 15 hrs will never be an issue for me. Hoping the display has better readability than my 800. I'll get one this year. I'm assuming they will use the same software base as the 810 and 1000 so should hopefully have fewer teething problems.

You're right. I read the chart wrong and thought the 510 gets 15 hours. I find that with GLONASS turned on, power meter, speed sensor, and Bluetooth on (not live tracking, just for auto uploads) I only get around 12 hours for my 510. If this ratio holds true for the 520, I'd probably have to turn GLONASS off if it will only last 8 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
x3 on dropping the touch screen.

I couldn't care less about the strava segments. I do like the smaller overall profile, 5 more hours of battery life (claimed), and the improved color contrast. I don't need maps where I live, but it would be nice on the rare occasions I travel. The text notifications can come in handy when I'm commuting.

I would probably order one right now and sell my 510, but I've learned that while Garmin usually gets it right eventually, their initial release can be pretty frustrating.

x4 on dropping the touch screen. I hate my 510 because of this. Will order a 520.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both a 520 and 1000.

I think that the user interface is similar between the two, but that it is better suited to a touch screen. I just don't like having to reach to the side on the 520 to work the scroll/up down buttons, and it is easy to accidentally hit the Start/stop button while instead of up/down while riding.

That being said, the smaller form factor of the 520 is nice as the 1000 will not fit between the aerobars of my tri-bike. I also really like the fact that it uses a chest strap compatible with the 910, I used to swap out chest straps for longer races.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Jason N wrote:

I couldn't care less about the strava segments. I do like the smaller overall profile, 5 more hours of battery life (claimed), and the improved color contrast. I don't need maps where I live, but it would be nice on the rare occasions I travel. The text notifications can come in handy when I'm commuting.

I would probably order one right now and sell my 510, but I've learned that while Garmin usually gets it right eventually, their initial release can be pretty frustrating.

x4 on dropping the touch screen. I hate my 510 because of this. Will order a 520.
Curious why you don't like the touchscreen. I don't use it much on my 800 but it is convenient if I want to change the display on the fly.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:

I think that the user interface is similar between the two, but that it is better suited to a touch screen. I just don't like having to reach to the side on the 520 to work the scroll/up down buttons, and it is easy to accidentally hit the Start/stop button while instead of up/down while riding.

That being said, the smaller form factor of the 520 is nice as the 1000 will not fit between the aerobars of my tri-bike. I also really like the fact that it uses a chest strap compatible with the 910, I used to swap out chest straps for longer races.

How did you get a 520 already?

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Jason N wrote:

Curious why you don't like the touchscreen. I don't use it much on my 800 but it is convenient if I want to change the display on the fly.

I admit the touchscreen is good for some options like the initial setup of selecting a bike and activity profile, and navigating a lot of the settings menu. But those are the kind of things you're not really going to be doing while riding your bike nor are you going to be doing often. So to me it's a cool feature that I could live without.

However, the touch screen irks the heck out of me when it's raining and I simply want to swipe the rain drops off the screen. Also, when toggling between screens, sometimes it works...and sometimes it just prompts the menu as if you tapped the screen. These are the type of features I simply want to work with one try since it is taking my hands off my handlebars while I'm riding. These are the type of things that worked well with the 500.

If they had made the 520 so that you can toggle pages with buttons, and an upward swipe did nothing (wiping rain drops off the screen) and use touch screen for everything else then I would be really happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
release date and price point please?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
July 1 for advanced purchase. $300. More for bundle. Not sure when they're going to ship.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [metcalf34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered one. Had an 800 and ended up swapping to a 500 for size (and a little $$).

Kept thinking about going to a 510, but it would have been mostly for BT syncing.

Glad to see the 520 be smaller, include a rough base map, support lots of data fields and of course include BT sync and live track.

I use a fenix 3 but have always liked the larger screen and better mounted Edge computers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you, looks like a strong device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can it be programmed to show QOM data, instead of KOM data? That will be the deal breaker for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent question - I do not know but I hope so!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What mount does the 520 come with? On the garmin site, it says that it includes standard and extended out-front mount. But I ordered mine through Strava and it says that is includes a "standard bike mount".
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [stayaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am assuming the Garmin site is correct!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I've learned:
1. I called Garmin and asked about QOM/KOM. They didn't know anything about it, they thought some segments were QOM and some were KOM. They said they hadn't had a chance to see the device, so they had no idea, but they thought it would be whatever data that Strava sent, and suggested I contact them.

2. In the meantime, I got an email from Garmin saying it would have a setting to do QOM, and recommended that I submit a suggestion, which I did.

3. I emailed Strava, and they tell me that it will show QOM or KOM based on your gender in your settings. So, since I'm set as female, it will show the lead female time with countdown and the female leaderboard.

Because I like to hear what I want to, I'm going with #3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I would hate to assume something like this, this seems like a no-brainer. That would be a pretty big blunder to leave that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!
I like your initiative and that you shared your findings with this thread.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#2 should read: In the meantime, I got an email from Garmin saying it would NOT have a setting to do QOM, and recommended that I submit a suggestion, which I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That is a big oversight. I hope they get that corrected.

I am curious if you can have some data fields while you are viewing live strava segments. While I would enjoy the strava segment functionality I don't want to give up watching power in real time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's a lot less awesome!
The Garmin site says you can select KOM, friends, or PR for your real time segment comparison. I plan to be on PR mode myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Strava says it will do QOM if your profile says female, and they sounded the most confident. PR is likely the most reasonable option anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh?!
So you just won't have an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to Strava and they told me that it will not include the extended out-front mount.

Thank you for contacting Strava and for your question. I had to confirm with our Commerce support team and the 520 we sell will not include the extra extended mount, just the standard bar mount.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Best,
Strava Support Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I jumped on the wagon and pre-ordered one. Seems like this might be one of the first Garmin products that actually warrant the upgrade. Going 910 to 920 wasn't all that special but going 500 to 520 will be well worth it I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
helo guy wrote:

How did you get a 520 already?

I did beta testing on the 520 for Garmin. I got to keep it when I was done. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next