Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fogging goggles
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any tips to keep goggles from fogging up too much? Mine are a dark tint and fog very quickly. I've tried the search option but didn't really find anything...

Bri Gaal
One Step Beyond
http://www.osbmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [BriBri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I get into the pool, I just put a little of that handsoap on my finger and apply it to the inside of my goggles...I then wash all of it off in the pool and voila...absolutely no fogging, works everytime...just be very careful that all the soap is gone!!!

www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wash with Johnson's Baby Shampoo (Don't use the generics, they'll irritate your eyes) and rinse with a quick swish in the water so a timy bit of soap remains.

Option two: Like the inside of the lenses.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spit on em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone have any tips to keep goggles from fogging up too much? Mine are a dark tint and fog very quickly. I've tried the search option but didn't really find anything...
Spit in them and rub it around.

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave a drop or two of water in your goggles, they will swish around and clear your goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about anti-fog drops?

http://www.tri-zone.com/...at=55&item=BADEF
Last edited by: OWEN_MEANY: Aug 19, 05 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing works better than spit. Spit in each one, rub it around, rinse once, and wear. No fog.
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the drops, but I tried Speedo anti-fog spray and it's pretty bogus. It's messy to put on and leaves little bubble marks on the inside of your lenses.

"If none of these things work for you, your sneakers probably don't fit so I would recommend seeing a nutritionist." JG
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [jarhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto that. even is you just lick you finger and rub it ont he inside of the lense, that usually does it for the whole workout. A big lugie is not required.

Quote | Reply
Cat crap. works really well. I've been using it for years. It's good enough to only have to apply every couple of time I go to the pool. Oh, and it is just called that. It doesn't come out of a cat.

http://www.catcrap.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just lick the insides of the goggles. Works great.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
disclaimer: I think this man is joking. kids, don't put cat crap on your goggles.

Re: Fogging goggles [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a joke. Cat crap works. I've got some at home. Clever marketing gimic, huh?

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [relax2dmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh crap, I didn't even go to the link!

Kids, Uncle Relax2dmax approves the use of cat crap on your goggles.

Re: Fogging goggles [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the de-fog drops work really well. I just put on a very little bit then rub it with my towel or the bottom of my t-shirt or something. Inside and out. I think I have the AquaSphere drops ... they were shockingly expensive for what they are but I've been working on the same bottle for about 3 years now so the cost per swim is pretty negligible.

Funny ... I always just spit in my dive mask and that works great but I didn't find that it works nearly as well on my Seal mask.

Miranda
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Leave a drop or two of water in your goggles, they will swish around and clear your goggles."

My technique as well; first the spit then a couple drops of water. Works very well.

Just make sure it's not salt water you drop in there....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find my goggles don't fog up as long as I don't go swimming - go figure!

Quote | Reply
The anti fog drops have worked well for me. Each application usually lasts for several swims, sometimes a few weeks. So it's a pretty cheap solution.

In the past I've hucked a loogie in each side. The more phlegm, the better. Unfortunately, it doesn't last as long. Also, air vents seem to work well. While the goggles may fill with water, at least they don't fog up.
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My personal favorites are loogies and cat crap. I think I will try a bit of shampoo, though :)

Bri Gaal
One Step Beyond
http://www.osbmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wash the insides with soap.

The reason that your goggles fog, IIRC, is because there are small particles of stuff (calcium and other stuff left when the water evaporated after your last swim) on the inside of the lens. These small particles give the water vapor a location upon which to condense, and (as they say in Chicago) Boom! ya got fog. So if you remove these particles, you prevent the fog.

Soap works great for this, but if you fail to rinse it out completely, it can hurt your eyes, hence the Johnson's baby shampoo solution. I just use the soap at the sink in the bathroom at the pool. Works fine. Cost? Zero.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baby shampoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they're Aqua Sphere Kaiman with the dark mirrored tint, nothing I tried worked for very long (haven't got any Cat Crap though!). The rep hear in hawaii said there is a problem with those lenses so I just changed to the smokey tint and no have had no problem since.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Just one question I might ask ya, and it might sound like a disaster, but can you make this thing go faster"?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, Johnson's Baby Shampoo
Quote Reply
Re: Fogging goggles [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The reason that your goggles fog, IIRC, is because there are small particles of stuff (calcium and other stuff left when the water evaporated after your last swim) on the inside of the lens. These small particles give the water vapor a location upon which to condense, and (as they say in Chicago) Boom! ya got fog. So if you remove these particles, you prevent the fog.

Could this be why my Speedo (prescription) goggles didn't fog for the first year I had them, but they started fogging when I pulled them out after they were in the closet for a few years? I'll have to try washing them.

And, a more general question: Other than Cat crap (which people seem to like) and Speedo defogger (which some people dislike), are there any other brands of defogger on which anyone has an opinion?

Edited to add: I know the previous posts in this thread are rather old. I just didn't want to start a new thread if the topic had already been discussed.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Last edited by: SaraJean: Apr 12, 06 6:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next