Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions
Quote | Reply
Now that NOLA 70.3 has been cancelled, I have nothing on my schedule before my first full, IMTX on April 28. I'm looking for a 70.3 in Feb/March in the U.S. to prep, but haven't found anything. I know that's too early for most places to have swimmable water temps, but hoping there's at least 1 event out there to fit the bill.

Galveston 70.3 is on Apr. 8, so too close to IMTX. HITS Ocala, FL 70.3 is March 31, so not much better. 70.3 Puerto Rico is March 18, which is about right, but who knows what kind of shape the island will be in by then, and I'd really prefer something I can drive to (live in New Orleans). No Rev3 options, and not seeing anything from Texas to Florida on TriFind, and haven't come across any threads here.

Any suggestions? Don't care about the size, terrain, swag, or anything else. Just want a race day atmosphere where I have to put in the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race management always questionable but....

http://hitstriathlonseries.com/naples-fl

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Oceanside three weeks prior to IMTX. I'll be sick and tired of doing long-ish rides by then so doing a race will be a nice change of pace.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a similar boat. Was using this weekends race to gauge if I was ready go jump into IMTX training. Will take the next few weeks to decide if I just jump into the full. May do the Conroe Oilman 70.3 in November. But that's not going to be part of IMTX training or anything, just allowing me to get a 70.3 in before doing a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always do the 70.3 in Havana in February if you want an adventure. https://www.active.com/...avana-triathlon-2018

(Disclaimer: ran it this year; great experience in Cuba but poorly organized race and not planning on going again in 2018).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Havana is intriguing, but with the new travel rules, I don't see how I can get there. Looks like it's either do Naples super early, or take a shot at Puerto Rico. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thread, I'm sure lots of us are in the same boat. I also thought about Puerto Rico, but that's probably not an option now.

At this point I'm trying to decide between just doing the half distance solo in March, or doing Galveston but not killing myself on the run. I'm not convinced that I can hold myself back though so that may not be a good idea.

Anyone else in the Houston area interested in coming up with a half distance course and doing it together in March?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
34th Annual Florida Challenge Triathlon - The Intimidator!Florida's Premier Endurance Event - Half Distance (70.3), Aqua Bike, Sprint Tri, & Open Water Swim!

When: Saturday, March 17, 2018
Start Time: 7:30AM
Race Venue: Clermont's Waterfront Park, 330 3rd. Street - "World Triathlon Destination"
Last edited by: imsparticus: Oct 23, 17 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a 70.3 in White Lake, NC in April. This year, it was on 4/22. 2018 date hasn't been announced, but I would bet on it being 4/21.

Flat as a pancake and a great lake to swim in.

Just an FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
There's a 70.3 in White Lake, NC in April. This year, it was on 4/22. 2018 date hasn't been announced, but I would bet on it being 4/21.

Just an FYI.

From the OP: "my first full, IMTX on April 28"

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Campeche in Mexico is also on 3/18, but it's a new race and I haven't found many reviews. Sounds like it's a pain to get there (either take a $1,000 flight direct from Houston, or a $300 flight into Cancun then a 7 hour bus ride).

I've been scouting places to stay in San Juan for the 70.3 Puerto Rico and it looks like many Airbnb places are already back up and running, so that's a good sign. Prices are cheap too - many 1BR studios right off the beach for under $100/night, and some 2BRs for under $130/night.

The Intimidator looks good, but Clermont is a 9 hour drive, and that's probably a deal-breaker.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

Just an FYI.

Point taken. I looked at it, incorrectly.

FL has some events in the early season. I think they have a Jan. 70.3. I'd look at trifind for 2017 dates to get an idea.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

Just an FYI.

Point taken. I looked at it, incorrectly.

FL has some events in the early season. I think they have a Jan. 70.3. I'd look at trifind for 2017 dates to get an idea.

Good luck.

Also from the OP.

"No Rev3 options, and not seeing anything from Texas to Florida on TriFind, and haven't come across any threads here.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's why I said to look at 2017s calendar. There are at least two listed.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
34th Annual Florida Challenge Triathlon - The Intimidator!Florida's Premier Endurance Event - Half Distance (70.3), Aqua Bike, Sprint Tri, & Open Water Swim!

When: Saturday, March 17, 2018
Start Time: 7:30AM
Race Venue: Clermont's Waterfront Park, 330 3rd. Street - "World Triathlon Destination"

x2. Search over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Campeche 70.3 this year and thought it was fantastic. This is a good choice as an alternative to San Juan, which I've done 3X and also love.

There are flights into Campeche, which is a small airport -- I think the majority of flights connect through Mexico City. I flew Denver- Salt Lake City - Mex. City - Campeche and that was a hell of a travel day. In hindsight, I'd have flown into Merida, which has more, and cheaper, direct flights from the U.S. It's maybe a 2 hour drive? As a female traveling solo, I was nervous about the 2 hour drive across Mexico, but having talked to others who did it, I wish I'd gone that direction. Cancun is also an option but a longer ground trip.

Lodging, food, etc in Campeche is dirt cheap and it's a very safe city.

The course was great and organization was top notch, especially for an inaugural race. I really enjoyed the race and my time in Campeche -- I'd consider that as an early season option.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Great info. The photos I saw of the venue looked great.

How was the swim? Wetsuit legal? Only thing I heard about it was that it was pretty choppy. And how hilly was the bike/run?

I don't mind hills - Boulder is my favorite 70.3 - but as this is intended to gauge where I'm at for IMTX, a super-hilly course isn't ideal. I understand PR has a relatively flat bike (same for Monterrey) but the run has some ferocious hills (Monterey sounds like it's flatter, but has some stairs to climb).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim was a bit choppy and times were slow for most. Non-wetsuit. I don’t recall it being extreme chop, just some larger swells that made it clear that times were not going to be fast. It’s a very pretty swim venue at a new country club.

The bike was hillier than most of us expected as I think the course was advertised as “flat and fast.” I wouldn’t describe it as flat. The steepest hill - well over 10%- is right out of transition. It’s short, but definitely woke the legs up.

The remainder of the ride is rolling, mostly on a newly constructed highway completely closed to traffic. The hills were long rollers. I had about 1800 feet of climbing on my Garmin. I’m pretty sure I never got out of my big ring aside from the first little kicker outside of transition, so it’s still good practice for getting and staying in the aerobars. The wind was definitely a factor — as it would be in Puerto Rico, too.

The run is pancake flat, beautiful (along the coast) and very well supported. Aid stations every K with those awesome plastic bags of cold water, and lots of cheering supporters chanting, “¡venga, venga!”

As with Puerto Rico, this one can be a scorcher.

Logistics were a little annoying- it’s a split transition and the swim course is a decent distance away from T2/ finish- I’m thinking a 20-25 minute drive or so, so day before bike and bag drop can take a while
In Reply To:
. They did Run shuttles in the AM, but I just grabbed an Uber for like $5.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great. Thanks so, so much to everyone for the insight. Now to make some decisions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOLAgrouper wrote:
Now that NOLA 70.3 has been cancelled, I have nothing on my schedule before my first full, IMTX on April 28. I'm looking for a 70.3 in Feb/March in the U.S. to prep, but haven't found anything. I know that's too early for most places to have swimmable water temps, but hoping there's at least 1 event out there to fit the bill.

Galveston 70.3 is on Apr. 8, so too close to IMTX. HITS Ocala, FL 70.3 is March 31, so not much better. 70.3 Puerto Rico is March 18, which is about right, but who knows what kind of shape the island will be in by then, and I'd really prefer something I can drive to (live in New Orleans). No Rev3 options, and not seeing anything from Texas to Florida on TriFind, and haven't come across any threads here.

Any suggestions? Don't care about the size, terrain, swag, or anything else. Just want a race day atmosphere where I have to put in the distance.

Last year I did IMTX as my first full and I raced Galveston three weeks before it, use it as a training race. I did my best to put in a good day, balance my nutrition, make sure that I didn't have any adjustments I wanted to make before the big day. I gave myself a couple days recovery and went back at it. I don't think it hurt anything as far as training goes for IMTX it did however help to refocus me on how much was on the line.

Best of luck to you, see ya at IMTX as well as Galveston (if you choose to race it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of people do Galveston and Texas. Don't they even offer a package entry to both?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Plenty of people do Galveston and Texas. Don't they even offer a package entry to both?

They did last year, I missed it though by buying my IMTX slot early worried it would sell out.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:

That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Last year I did Galveston as my A race. I thought beforehand that if it went well I may sign up for IMTX on a whim since it was still open. Well I did very well, but I was spent and couldn't train seriously for a week so IMTX didn't happen.

This year I'm doing IMTX as my A race. I don't see how there's a way I would do better at IMTX if I do Galveston 3 weeks beforehand unless I just took it easy at Galveston. And at nearly $300, taking it easy is not worth it.

If you just want to do these races and have fun, sure. But if IMTX is your A race and means everything to you then I don't think Galveston should be a consideration. Just my opinion obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, Early season 70.3 U.S. suggestions [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMTX is my A race, and don't want to take any chances. I think 6 weeks out is about right, as long as I take it easy, since that's about when I'd be peaking in volume and would still have some
time to make do some focused drills to address any issues with my OWS form. I haven't finished setting up my training plan, so a 70.3 just 3 weeks before IMTX might be within my taper plan, but seems too close for comfort.

Part of my plan is the use the 70.3 as an exercise in discipline, as I am a notorious over-biker. Forcing myself to hang back on a 70.3 bike I feel would be good mental discipline training so that I don't blow up on my full. If I can successfully Not over-bike, then Galveston could work, but if I get injured, get sick, or burn out, I just don't think 3 weeks is enough time. Maybe after I have a few IMs under my belt, it'll be an option, but I'd be crushed if something happened and I had to bail because of the short gap between the races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOLAgrouper wrote:
IMTX is my A race, and don't want to take any chances. I think 6 weeks out is about right, as long as I take it easy, since that's about when I'd be peaking in volume and would still have some
time to make do some focused drills to address any issues with my OWS form. I haven't finished setting up my training plan, so a 70.3 just 3 weeks before IMTX might be within my taper plan, but seems too close for comfort.

Part of my plan is the use the 70.3 as an exercise in discipline, as I am a notorious over-biker. Forcing myself to hang back on a 70.3 bike I feel would be good mental discipline training so that I don't blow up on my full. If I can successfully Not over-bike, then Galveston could work, but if I get injured, get sick, or burn out, I just don't think 3 weeks is enough time. Maybe after I have a few IMs under my belt, it'll be an option, but I'd be crushed if something happened and I had to bail because of the short gap between the races.

Train for IMTX. Do a mini-taper week of Galveston. Do Galveston with the mindset of an A race, and adjust accordingly if you're not feeling it that day. Take it easy the week after Galveston. Do a normal-ish training week the week after that. Mini-taper the week of IMTX. Race.

That's my plan.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next