Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Mr. October wrote:
This was more of a dumb thing boys say. Back in High School, I was an awkward kid, real shy around girls but had been hitting it off nicely at school with a pretty brunette named Gwen. One day she asked me "Watch doing after school"? The response I gave that I regret to this day: "Going deer hunting". Groan.

Sorry Mr. October, while a missed opportunity, this is not a dumb thing to say. Many women would be even more attracted to a guy who didn't jump at the first opportunity to be with her, you know, a little proverbial hard-to-get. I, for one, like a guy who is passionate about something and doesn't let things--including me--get in the way of his passion. If a guy doesn't have something in their life they're passionate about, I think that's a personality red flag.

:) I don't think the get-together would have been anything more then an innocent high school romance but I can still remember sitting in my treestand that night over a field and saying out loud "Going deer hunting!?". LOL! It still sticks with me as dumb and funny.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before we started dating (but were interested in each other) I told my wife about my two day hike I once took. On said hike I drank stagnant water and spent the second day puking and shitting.

She later told me that she was thinking "why is he telling me this?"

Still managed to marry her though. Yup, I am awesome.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Before we started dating (but were interested in each other) I told my wife about my two day hike I once took. On said hike I drank stagnant water and spent the second day puking and shitting.

She later told me that she was thinking "why is he telling me this?"

Still managed to marry her though. Yup, I am awesome.

I don't know if that qualifies. I think that would be mopre of a litmus test for your wife. I mean, would you really want to marry someone who couldn't handle a little talk of puke or poo? You had giardia; what were you supposed to do? Now, the real question is, does she know you crapped your pants trying to get that fart out in your thirties?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:

Now, the real question is, does she know you crapped your pants trying to get that fart out in your thirties?

I decided to not tell her about that one. Although she likely would have laughed her ass off.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my soon to be former boss when discussing a future job interview he knew I had.
"I don't know why you're so worried. You're husband has a good job and anything you make is just gravy."
Yes, gravy. Yippee for me.

From another guy at the same place.
"Why are you keeping your classes and mine are cut? I have a wife and kids to support and you don't."
Oh, I forgot we were hired on our personal life issues. Yes, married women should be home in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. Asshole.

From another guy at the same place.
"You know the guys don't mean to be sexist around you. The problem is you're too much like one of the guys so they forget you're a girl and just say things."
Um, okay.

I don't talk to them about sports. Lord knows what they would say.

Because I think some of you will enjoy it, I present you mansplained.tumblr.com While "academic" focused, I'm sure you'll enjoy the dumb shit guys have said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
luckytotri wrote:

Now, the real question is, does she know you crapped your pants trying to get that fart out in your thirties?

I decided to not tell her about that one. Although she likely would have laughed her ass off.

See, it's cause she passed the puke and diarrhea litmus test. You married well :)

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good God! What field do you work in? That's a whole lotta crazy sexism right there.

"I have a wife and kids to support and you don't" What? Did he say that with a straight face?

I continue to be astounded at some of the dumb shit guys say in the workplace. At my institution, also academic, we all have to have regular sexual harassment training, so, at some basic level, these guys are at least aware that this stuff is not OK to say.

When I first started working here (12 years ago) I was working with a bunch of surgeons and one them asked me if I had a boyfriend. We were all--six guys and me--standing around the OR table. I said no. So then this guy (we'll call him Dude #1) is like, well so and so is single (one of the guys in the room), maybe you guys should go out. I said, "Um, I have a girl friend" (I did have a girl friend at the time). Dead silence for a very long two minutes. Then Dude #1 said, "So are you guys the kind of lesbians that keep a double ender on your mantle?" At which point all the guys started cracking up (keep in mind we were at the beginning of a 4 hour surgery). Surgeons are infamous for this kind of banter, and I was not about to cave. I said, "I feel sorry for your wife; you're one of those guys who still thinks you need a penis and penetration to have an orgasm." To their credit, all of the guys cracked up again, including him.

I had to work with that guy every day for a year. He has been "rehabilitated" and we are now very good friends, but I still give him shit about saying that. Unbelievable.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current husband story, I just finished my first marathon. I went out too fast, and my quads were screaming as I struggled to the finish line. Not two minutes later my husband is at the finish line. Says, "nice job". He hands me our sleeping 2 year old and says "I am going for a run, see ya in an hour". Let me tell you, it was really hard to hold the kid, but it was absolutely impossible for me to bend down and lie him on some grass...not to mention that my four year wasn't too helpful". finally, as I am walking like Frankenstein down the road, I saw someone I knew, that helped me out. the good part was my first marathon time was 24 seconds faster than his first one 6 months earlier!!!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh it was all said with a straight face. Always is and in the few times I have told them they were being pigs, they are shocked. "What? But it's true! I have a family to support and you don't. My wife doesn't work and you have a good job!" When pointing out that that stuff shouldn't matter, they don't get why not. The kicker? Aussie, Canadian and American guys in their 30-50s are making these comments, not crusty old guys.

A bit of background that might help explain things. I live in Japan. All those snide jokes about zero to hero white guys in Asia is 95% true. Most of these guys are "trapped" here with wives, kids and no hope in hell of finding a decent job "back home" because they have pretty much zero qualifications or skills. There is a pecking order and foreign guys are at the bottom, just above the foreign women. So they try and bully the few foreign females who are here I assume to make themselves feel better. The "funny" thing is that things are changing and with the population drop people are being let go as student numbers drop. The foreign women, mostly all well qualified, are keeping their jobs, getting promotions. The word is out that it is now "reverse" sexism because these guys are being let go. Um, no. And even if it was, you had your turn, why not give us ours?

If you work in academia you know it's "publish or perish". Most of these guys have done jack in terms of papers, presentations or professional development. The women run circles around them in terms of qualifications and publishings. But.... They have kids. My husband has a good job. Um, reality check jackasses. Many are thinking of packing up and "going home". Not too sure what to as they are so behind the "race" it isn't even funny.

Oh, and I did get the job. And have faced more nasty comments from the men that I thought possible. I obviously know someone, have slept with someone or did "something" to get my job. Certainly I wasn't hired because I was the best person and a man wasn't.

Please tell me you don't work with such assholes on a regular basis! I wish we had sexual harassment training. The "wife and kids" guy got accused of sexually harassing a Japanese female prof and you know what happened? He walked around and openly called her a bitch within ear shot and thought I should talk to her. Um, no. His word against hers so nothing happened. Reverse of you. This guy was a friend until he had a kid and started telling me I needed to have a baby to make my life complete and all that other shit above. No idea where or why it happened but he went from being a decent guy to a pig in the matter of a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" it appears that there Is a need--and want--for a thread dedicated to the stupid shit guys say."

I've really enjoyed reading and participating on this thread, but wow, there seems to be some very angry womens out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
" it appears that there Is a need--and want--for a thread dedicated to the stupid shit guys say."

I've really enjoyed reading and participating on this thread, but wow, there seems to be some very angry womens out there.
Perhaps the women seem to be angry because stupid shit men sy is constantly on repeat and gets old.

Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Although I've had may fair share of idiotic comments thrown my way by unenlightened males over the years, I am so thankful for my guy friends. Life would be so boring without their input (useful and otherwise)! Case in point: While looking very fit and buff way back in my tree-planting days, one guy says to another - "I bet she could take a round out of you" - which basically meant from then on I was getting NO dates that summer...thanks, pal... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Perhaps the women seem to be angry because stupid shit men sy is constantly on repeat and gets old."

I have four female cousins. Three of them are chronically angry towards men. Two are divorced without kids and the other has never been married but has a string of failed relationships and has recently announced that she's "given up" on men. They're not young chicks any more, all are in their early 50's. According to these three, its always the man's fault. If I was to tell them something like that it sometimes works both ways or it takes two to tango or both could be at fault, I'd no doubt be material for this thread if they posted here. :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
"Perhaps the women seem to be angry because stupid shit men sy is constantly on repeat and gets old."

I have four female cousins. Three of them are chronically angry towards men. Two are divorced without kids and the other has never been married but has a string of failed relationships and has recently announced that she's "given up" on men. They're not young chicks any more, all are in their early 50's. According to these three, its always the man's fault. If I was to tell them something like that it sometimes works both ways or it takes two to tango or both could be at fault, I'd no doubt be material for this thread if they posted here. :-).
Yikes! They must not be wrapped tight.

Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Goes without saying that this is yet another fine example, right? Or does pointing this out make me "angry"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
seh wrote:
I introduced him to triathlons. He had finished his first Oly that morning (swim was canceled) and finished 2nd (there were only 3 ppl in his age group) Asshole

And thanks! Bathroom stop at every porta potty. Leg muscles were seizing up bc of it too

Oh fucking hell, that is the worst! Super impressive that you toughed it out and finished. That's some strong work right there sista.

Can we include excessive foul language on this list?
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
luckytotri wrote:
seh wrote:
I introduced him to triathlons. He had finished his first Oly that morning (swim was canceled) and finished 2nd (there were only 3 ppl in his age group) Asshole

And thanks! Bathroom stop at every porta potty. Leg muscles were seizing up bc of it too

Oh fucking hell, that is the worst! Super impressive that you toughed it out and finished. That's some strong work right there sista.

Can we include excessive foul language on this list?

We could, except I'm a woman. So we would probably need to start a different thread for that.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then Dude #1 said, "So are you guys the kind of lesbians that keep a double ender on your mantle?"

Situations like that are ripe for smart-ass responses as in, "No, we just use your wife's."

Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha! That would have been awesome!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being the sarcastic smart-ass that I am, these type of responses come easily to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I did OK;) This was, afterall, 12 years ago...I've fine-tuned my inner smartass since then.

I always think of 20 better things afterward, still.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

I think of this as a venting thread. I bet most of us aren't angry Womens :) I think there is a BIG difference between being angry as a state of being and getting angry. I have a low threshold for douchiness, but I wouldn't characterize myself as angry. Quite the opposite, actually. And make no mistake, I do not hate men. Again, quite the opposite. Most of my good friends are guys.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [RunaroundS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunaroundS wrote:
My current husband story, I just finished my first marathon. I went out too fast, and my quads were screaming as I struggled to the finish line. Not two minutes later my husband is at the finish line. Says, "nice job". He hands me our sleeping 2 year old and says "I am going for a run, see ya in an hour". Let me tell you, it was really hard to hold the kid, but it was absolutely impossible for me to bend down and lie him on some grass...not to mention that my four year wasn't too helpful". finally, as I am walking like Frankenstein down the road, I saw someone I knew, that helped me out. the good part was my first marathon time was 24 seconds faster than his first one 6 months earlier!!!
In Reply To:

I read this last night, and I am still shaking my head about it. This kinda falls into the inexcusable category for me. I am so glad you chicked his ass. That is justice. I hope you handed two kids off to him too :P

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on getting the job! Yay!

I still work with guys like this, but if things get out of line now, then I just lay down the law. I have no problem looking at them and telling them they're crossing a line, and to knock it off. When I was younger I was too afraid of the repercussions that might stem from that, and now I just don't give a shit. It's very liberating, actually :)
Interestingly, I now kind of have a "don't mess with her" reputation, so the problem has mostly solved itself. I do, however, find myself mothering/protecting some of the younger womens who are not comfortable speaking up. I have no problem with this either, I just wish it wasn't needed. It does get a little old, you know, after years and years of the same bs :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
RunaroundS wrote:
In Reply To:

I read this last night, and I am still shaking my head about it. This kinda falls into the inexcusable category for me. I am so glad you chicked his ass. That is justice. I hope you handed two kids off to him too :P

Well, about six years later, he finished an IM and he was pretty queasy. Unfortunately, I had promised my oldest son that I would drive home that night so that he wouldn't miss school. the younger son volunteered to stay with day. I left my 8 year old with dad...and I guess dad was puking.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next