Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dated a guy once who told me "your legs are like logs." He thought it was a compliment.

When I responded with a :| face, he tried to explain... "I mean, they are so thick and sturdy. You know, strong, like a log. That's good."

Not helping. Stop talking.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Now that I've met you, I'm complete"
Runaway runaway runaway NOW.
If this is not a red flag (said on a second date, no less), I don't know what is.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh shit. Did you excuse yourself right then or what? I like my men "complete" too.

I just had a fucking awesome one. At my LBS picking up my new trainer (KK Road Machine bitches!) and this guy from my morning coffee joint walks in. (This guy, though I think pretty harmless and relatively well intentioned, is just clueless; his comments could be their own thread.) He starts chatting, asking what I'm getting, etc. and then asks if I'm going to do any tts or cross races. I say maybe a tt but no cross cause I'm too worried about getting hurt, and I don't want to fuck up my tri season. (Notice I said season.) Then he says, "Oh, you could do a tri. You could do it, especially a sprint," at which point the LBS guys just started laughing.
Wow, cool, good to know, dude.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Jan 6, 13 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
I dated a guy once who told me "your legs are like logs." He thought it was a compliment.

When I responded with a :| face, he tried to explain... "I mean, they are so thick and sturdy. You know, strong, like a log. That's good."

Not helping. Stop talking.

Nice! Really, Womens, there is so much material here, the thread almost writes itself.

Men, when talking about women's legs the terms we like to hear are: strong, cut, ripped, sexy, rockin, fast, badass, beautiful, etc. Save things like logs, sturdy, thick, beefy, big for talking about things like your truck, large pieces of furniture, and the lies you tell about your nether regions.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda on the same topic. The asshole I WAS dating until recently had the most awesomeness words of encouragement after REV3 Anderson. Here let me prefise this though. We broke up, got back together a few weeks before, I traveled up there by myself, totally not prepared for that bike course, had GI issues on the run, but I finished that son of bitch in 6 hours. Now, as I'm talking to him on the phone, laying in bed bc my legs are shredded and there's no standing, he tells me (not good job) but "it's ok, you have next season to make up for the disappointments of this one"
I was happy I finished and didn't give up bc that would have been a lot less painful

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At my LBS picking up my new trainer (KK road machine bitches!)

So jealous!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the time my husband (yes, husband, not ex) was supposed to fly out to watch me race IM Hawaii. He was supposed to arrive mid-morning the day of the race, settle in, and the only thing I had asked him to do was stand outside the condo I rented (along the run course) so I could see him and get a boost of energy on the run. Then we would meet up after the race and enjoy a few days of R&R before heading back to work. He wasn't outside the condo on the run course, which was a bummer, but I just figured I'd look for him at the finish line. Didn't see him there, and was just getting some ice for my knee in the med tent, when he walks up to me and says, "You will not believe the day I had. I am exhausted!" Turns out he'd missed his flight, managed to get on a later one, and had only just arrived a short time earlier.

It gets better, though. I wanted to watch the later finishers, so we found a place in the stands and watched for awhile. Around 11PM, he says he has to go back to the condo. "I'm too tired to stay up." Never mind the fact that I've been up since before 4AM and just raced an IM. He was too tired to stay. But, we only had one car, and I was not about to walk the 2-1/2 miles back to the condo alone, so we left.

That was 7 years ago, and he never has lived that down. But, to his credit, he has been incredibly helpful to me during two subsequent IMs, and it's really not his job to watch me race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After knowing I have done triathlons, some stupid ass clown asked if I rode a bike? The same stupid ass clown told me I am skinny. Shit, what a dumb thing to say.
One thing that really gets me that both sexes (especially men) say is "How are you GUYS doing?" When I am with my girlfriends and no males are present.

Quote | Reply
I was at a bar and met a guy who when we got up to dance said, "you look much better standing up."
Fortunately I really dug his friend and not him.
That happened about 18 years ago and it's the only line I ever really remember any guys giving me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My EX husband once introduced me as his first wife. We were still married at the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One thing that really gets me that both sexes (especially men) say is "How are you GUYS doing?" When I am with my girlfriends and no males are present.

This is a language issues - English doesn't really have a set second person plural (comparable to "vosotros" in Spanish or "jullie" in Dutch) - we do have "you all / y'all (south) ... I think that's where "you guys" comes in. 'You guys' is just becoming a neutral second-person subject.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
t gets better, though. I wanted to watch the later finishers, so we found a place in the stands and watched for awhile. Around 11PM, he says he has to go back to the condo. "I'm too tired to stay up." Never mind the fact that I've been up since before 4AM and just raced an IM. He was too tired to stay. But, we only had one car, and I was not about to walk the 2-1/2 miles back to the condo alone, so we left.

but you'd probably had all kinds of caffeinated gels!

Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! No, just uncaffeinated Infinit. But I am ALWAYS wired after IMs. I can't get to sleep for hours, then wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Five IMs, all different time zones, and it's happened every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:

This is a language issues - English doesn't really have a set second person plural (comparable to "vosotros" in Spanish or "jullie" in Dutch) - we do have "you all / y'all (south) ... I think that's where "you guys" comes in. 'You guys' is just becoming a neutral second-person subject.

I agree which is why people should use you all rather than you guys.

Quote | Reply
I thought I replied to this but it seems my post was eaten. I don't like the use of "you all!" I would say "How is everyone?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was more of a dumb thing boys say. Back in High School, I was an awkward kid, real shy around girls but had been hitting it off nicely at school with a pretty brunette named Gwen. One day she asked me "Watch doing after school"? The response I gave that I regret to this day: "Going deer hunting". Groan.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Last edited by: Mr. October: Jan 6, 13 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy told me last night that I was well preserved for my age. He was 33, I'm 32.

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:
At my LBS picking up my new trainer (KK road machine bitches!)

So jealous!

TC, it is so awesome! Everything I wanted it to be. I have no excuses now, lol. Thank you KK!

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seh wrote:
Kinda on the same topic. The asshole I WAS dating until recently had the most awesomeness words of encouragement after REV3 Anderson. Here let me prefise this though. We broke up, got back together a few weeks before, I traveled up there by myself, totally not prepared for that bike course, had GI issues on the run, but I finished that son of bitch in 6 hours. Now, as I'm talking to him on the phone, laying in bed bc my legs are shredded and there's no standing, he tells me (not good job) but "it's ok, you have next season to make up for the disappointments of this one"
I was happy I finished and didn't give up bc that would have been a lot less painful

Grrrr. I don't know if he is an athlete or not, but when anyone (other than a coach or a pro) tries to tell me something like that, especially in the immediate post-race emotionally raw period, I find it incredibly annoying.

Great job on your REV3 Anderson, btw. GI issues f-ing suck.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
My EX husband once introduced me as his first wife. We were still married at the time.

Wow. What the hell? That is just cruel. I'm so glad you're rid of that asshole Jen.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
Reminds me of the time my husband (yes, husband, not ex) was supposed to fly out to watch me race IM Hawaii. He was supposed to arrive mid-morning the day of the race, settle in, and the only thing I had asked him to do was stand outside the condo I rented (along the run course) so I could see him and get a boost of energy on the run. Then we would meet up after the race and enjoy a few days of R&R before heading back to work. He wasn't outside the condo on the run course, which was a bummer, but I just figured I'd look for him at the finish line. Didn't see him there, and was just getting some ice for my knee in the med tent, when he walks up to me and says, "You will not believe the day I had. I am exhausted!" Turns out he'd missed his flight, managed to get on a later one, and had only just arrived a short time earlier.

It gets better, though. I wanted to watch the later finishers, so we found a place in the stands and watched for awhile. Around 11PM, he says he has to go back to the condo. "I'm too tired to stay up." Never mind the fact that I've been up since before 4AM and just raced an IM. He was too tired to stay. But, we only had one car, and I was not about to walk the 2-1/2 miles back to the condo alone, so we left.

That was 7 years ago, and he never has lived that down. But, to his credit, he has been incredibly helpful to me during two subsequent IMs, and it's really not his job to watch me race.

Hi Eileen :)

What is up with these guys saying they're tired, or in this case "exhausted," to someone who just did an IM? Have they lost their minds? Men, has your SO ever said that to you after a race? I'm guessing that doesn't happen very often. Just out of curiosity Eileen, did he offer to walk back and leave the car for you?

BTW, I think the set-up you had arranged--him arriving the day of the race and planning on being on the run course to cheer--is brilliant! I've often wondered what I would do about family if I qualify for Kona because I'd definitely want them to be there afterward, and I'd love for my kids to see the event, but I don't want anyone in my physical or mental space before a race. Great, great idea--thanks!

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
After knowing I have done triathlons, some stupid ass clown asked if I rode a bike? The same stupid ass clown told me I am skinny. Shit, what a dumb thing to say.

See, Mens, do not comment on a woman's weight to that woman. Never. Many people would think that calling a woman "skinny" would be a compliment, but many triathletes do not think so. Of course, this dude asked if you rode a bike after talking about tris, so he's probably not firing on all cylinders.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seh wrote:
A guy told me last night that I was well preserved for my age. He was 33, I'm 32.

32? WTF? Is that "old" by anyone's standards? Seh, you have a target rich environment for douchebags. What is the deal?

Mens, age--don't touch that one with a ten foot pole, unless you want to go home alone or perpetually chase 22 year olds, cause I'm sure they'll dig you forever.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb shit that guys say... [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
This was more of a dumb thing boys say. Back in High School, I was an awkward kid, real shy around girls but had been hitting it off nicely at school with a pretty brunette named Gwen. One day she asked me "Watch doing after school"? The response I gave that I regret to this day: "Going deer hunting". Groan.

Sorry Mr. October, while a missed opportunity, this is not a dumb thing to say. Many women would be even more attracted to a guy who didn't jump at the first opportunity to be with her, you know, a little proverbial hard-to-get. I, for one, like a guy who is passionate about something and doesn't let things--including me--get in the way of his passion. If a guy doesn't have something in their life they're passionate about, I think that's a personality red flag.

--------
Last edited by: luckytotri: Jan 6, 13 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly this.

Besides, "watch-doing" makes no sense anyway, and I'm not sure there is a "correct" answer when one is asked about doing watches.
Quote Reply

Prev Next