Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now is a good time to catch a left over rim braking triathlon bike. I didn't need to replace my 6 year old one but did not want to get into having disc and rim braking wheelsets at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Funny thing is...there's nothing that design shown has over a standard quick-release wheel paired to a fork with forward-entry dropouts. Seriously.

Yeah, but changing wheels on disc brake bikes isn't that hard. It's not nearly as quick as QR/rim brake. But there's a lot of histrionics in this forum about it, and it's really no big deal. Reading this thread you'd think that if you just breathe on a caliper wrong it'll go out of alignment or something. Which just isn't true.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 22, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on all points. My Speed Concept will likely be my long term race bike. The only thing that worries me long term is the bottom bracket shell. I'll probably keep my Shiv as well. It might not be the most aero bike made and I had to get creative to get the front end low enough but it's extremely practical.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You made me look at my Samsung Galaxy 7 ... whew, the headphone jack is still there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How will your rims last "forever" whilst being ground away by brake pads?

Maybe the next generation is a hub brake (disc or drum type) mounted to a spindle, that stays on the bike. Single sided fork and rear triangle. Near instant wheel changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Grill wrote:
Solution is easy. Buy a P5.

Dislike that bike in stock form -- at least the P5-6. The beard is too chintzy, the stack is too high, and the integrated base bar is unexceptional and slow -- what a fall from grace the Adura is by the makers of the Ventus. Thoughtful integration is basically non existent, the lack of which was basically an overcorrection from the poorly received P4 bottle. The P5 is also slower than the P4, because it's a watt or two more aero and 3 lbs heavier, or something silly.

After the P4 debacle, when the founders of the company were driven out of Canada, Cervelo went backwards and continue to go backwards in TT/tri bike performance in an attempt to a) serve the fat middle of the bell curve with integrated storage/hydration options that accommodate their observed behaviors (bananas duct taped to top tube) rather than their stated preferences (raw speed, PRs, M-dot tattoo); b) to promulgate disc braking as an industry-wide initiative to stem the bleeding in performance road by making brake maintenance impossible for the average consumer, driving business to the shops that are the forefront of the accelerating demise; and c) to add marketing equity to the premium-ness of a brand that deigns to charge $15,000 for a bicycle (Felt is guilty too). You won't see me on the P3-X until it's price competitive with the Tactical, and that won't happen as long as Cervelo continues to fumble around and fuck up it's business with an archaic and broken distribution and inventory management model.

The P5 is fine, I guess. But the P4 is better, if it can be made to stop, because it is faster and matches its successor in nearly every other regard, and it surpasses in the most important facet, which is fit.

The P4 is a great bike, but it isn't the fastest low yaw bike out there (this is simply popular opinion based upon one published aero test). The P5 can easily be made faster (as can a few other frames), has brakes that work, and is almost as light (picking a number out of the sky as hyperbolic as 3lbs is disingenuous as you know A) it ain't even close and B) it doesn't matter). Off the top of my head head, none of the people I know rocking CdAs <.180m^2 are on a P4 (although there are a few on the P5 as well as lots of other 'slow' frames).

Also worth noting, the Aduro is not slow (plus it's UCI legal unlike the Ventus), and integration doesn't seem to be an issue for testers riding 100 mile or 12hr TTs.

kileyay wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I enjoyed reading this if only for the reinforcement of not having purchased a disc brake bike.

And that logic can forever support your decision until logic very suddenly and painfully (hopefully not tragically) fails you on the open road. It only takes one incident or near miss to invalidate the absurd notion that rim braking on carbon clinchers is sufficient or "fine" or "okay" in wet weather -- that idea is fallacious at best and deadly at worst.

Yes, Tom A., we know everyone should have alloy tracks. But they don't. So here we are.

Now you're just being silly. Where does he say he has carbon clinchers? Where are all the widows and widowers of people who died due to carbon clincher or rim brake failure? If someone overcooks a turn, there is no braking system on the market that will save them.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single sided doesn’t need wheel removal for a flat repair. :)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Single sided doesn’t need wheel removal for a flat repair. :)
unless you’re in a race with a support crew. But yes that too. Win win
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Mine works fine ,Im sure your bar is set up with no spacers,why would you have spacers;-).Mine has 2cm of spacers and with standard brake housing the cable move very smooth.
It makes a nice S bend from the exit of the stem to the inner frame mount.
I guess you could try that Nokon type housing if it is too tight of a turn.
I don't have a issue with my rear brake, I set it up correctly and maintain it.
Does it lack braking power? yes but I feel it works about 75% as good as any rear brake.Front brake is where you stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is going to be sarcastically bumped in three years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Flat changes would be 50% worse with disc brakes. Rear flat would be a 6 minute rather than 3.5 minute ordeal, which in my age group is the difference between losing five places and ten. And then afterwards of course you brake will be rubbing (back to point 2). Bonus points if you get chain grease on your hands and on the rotors and contaminate the system so your bike sounds like an aortic elephant every time you actuate it, which is every revolution because it is still rubbing.

LOL. Sorry dude, but you're doing it wrong. Regardless of how anyone feels about disc brakes, ineptitude need not impede progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:

I will make sure to bump it every year

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:

Yes, I've got this thread marked for playing the long game.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My S8 still has a headphone jack, one of the reasons I jumped off the iphone treadmill.
The latest incarnations of disc brakes run more clearance.
If you didn't face the mounts and your caliper won't line up that is not a system problem, that is a build problem.
My Carbon Zipp rims using the proper pads show no wear after over 60000kms, so I don't think you will wear them out on a race only TT bike anytime soon.

Shops hate working on any below the BB rim brake as customers think that it will only a few minutes to sort their brake when in reality you can waste hours getting cable runs right, sorting out corrosion problems, removing cranks just to adjust the brakes, trying to fit anything but the one specific brake that will fit, shaving down pads because there is no clearance, listening to riders complain of brake rub under power, spend another hour when they want to fit different width and shape training wheels and on and on.

Yep disc brakes are coming in because shops will make more money.
Bullshit, they will just work.
Until that idiot sprays his chain and disc with some stupid lube when he should just wax it instead.

It's a shitload faster to feed a brake hose through hidden setups than cable casings.
And they allow far more elegant runs.
If you take 6 mins to change a disc wheel you deserve to loose, actually you should be banned from riding altogether for fear of making all bike riders look stupid.

Discs do not bend or warp at even a slight fraction of the percentages some people seem to infer.

The worst braking experience I have ever had was alloy rims in the wet, I simply could not stop and hung on for dear life until the road flattened out enough to come to a halt.
Disc brakes have never ever let me down.
Having to shim discs to prevent rotor rub between wheel sets is not the norm but the rare exception. The reason why it is so hard to buy shims and most shops don't even carry them.
Good disc pads are $10, good rim pads are $50 and wear out stupid fast.

More of the same, why do I even get involved with this.
90% percent of riders should worry more about training than this shit.
But a disc braked TT bike will be more reliable and less servicing for most folk as well as costing less in the very near future.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But but but it’s not aero!

Great post. Love hearing logic instead of emotions.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
But a disc braked TT bike will be more reliable and less servicing for most folk as well as costing less in the very near future.

Costing less than what? What they cost now? I certainly don't see prices of anything dropping.
If cost was an issue then people would just be happy with their lot instead of buying something new (this, of course, goes against the very principle of what makes America great).
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Because choosing a race day TT bike based on aerodynamics instead of braking quality is an emotional response...and not a logical one?

Got it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...what’s everyone’s take on crypto currency? I’m clueless what to do, I’m switching from Tubies to clinchers and getting a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Because choosing a race day TT bike based on aerodynamics instead of braking quality is an emotional response...and not a logical one?

Got it.

Because 99% of the time on your bike is training and triathletes only race a couple times of year? That's called logic.

Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 23, 18 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
So...what’s everyone’s take on crypto currency? I’m clueless what to do, I’m switching from Tubies to clinchers and getting a new bike.

LMAO
brilliant

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because that 5 watts of drag increase is completely negligible to almost everyone complaining about it?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Because that 5 watts of drag increase is completely negligible to almost everyone complaining about it?

Exactly.

So many people on here complain about disc brake drag but have no problem with stuff hanging off of their bike, 4 water bottles, sloppy fitting tri suits, bad positions, etc.

Guess what....if most of us are riding disc brake bikes then we all have the extra drag. Equal competition. There's so many factors in determining the total system drag that arguing over disc brake drag is almost silly. If you refuse to get on disc brake bikes, fine. No one cares. For those of us who have old bikes and are waiting to upgrade, it's obviously going to be a disc brake bike.

But but but it's not as fast! Yeah and some pros ran Gatorskins in Kona.

Who cares.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Jason N wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Got it.

Because 99% of the time on your bike is training and triathletes only race a couple times of year? That's called logic.

WTF!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brakes & the Concept of a "Forever" Rim-Braking Time Trial/Triathlon Bike [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't WTF me. Most people I know average 5-6 races a year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

2) Disc brakes are highly sensitive to configuration and prone to inexplicable brake rub, especially in inclement weather, even after the most diligent setup.

ha. Thank you, I thought it was just me, losing my mechanical touch..

Cervelo Dual is what I will most likely race happily ever after. Bontrager front, HED rear, both with alu rims and carbon fairings. Looking around for a later faster Cervelo frame but not very hard.
I can't imagine any future where I'll buy a disk brake tri bike, mostly due to reasons 2 and 4.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Last edited by: doug in co: Feb 23, 18 11:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next