Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
De Soto cool wings
Quote | Reply
Or the such like.

How long does it take to put them on in T1?
Unfortunately needing to reconsider my 70.3 wardrobe after the long weekend... Or sleeved cycling jersey for the bike and change again in T2?
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [drwales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not wear them under your wetsuit?

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never got them to work with swimming - they always annoyed me and I couldn't get them on in T1 - but honestly during a few trial rides, I found them to actually make me warmer on the bike because it was near impossible to keep them properly moist to truly trigger the cooling properties - I am just sharing my actual experience...However - THEY ROCKED for the run - again, trained with them and "practiced" etc. Here was what worked - sounds hokey, but I won my division at a 70.3 with this, so I'm not a complete tool. I brought a small cooler into transition (think lunch size) filled with ice and had my Desoto beenie and cool wings (complete saturated in the sink before leaving for the race) in the cooler on ice - I tied the cool wings onto my race belt so I could grab it and go in T2 (and kept it in the cooler with the lid closed by not zipped) and when setting up transition before the race put the beenie in my helmet. I managed to avg a 6:40 my first run mile while putting the cool wings on in motion - give it a try...I also fashioned a neck gaiter into an ice cooler and refilled the ice every 3 miles. I knew if I could keep my core temp in the good zone I'd be golden, so that was my focus - no matter how crazy I sounded/looked - and it worked - I spanked my hubbies ass on the run because he overheated. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or start the race with the long sleeved skincooler top on under your wetsuit?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never tried jamming sleeved arms into a swimming wetsuit - have you? I can see it complicates things when trying to get comfortable in the wet suit, and also possibly during removal.

BTW, I don't mean to offend - I just ordered the cool wings yesterday and I wear the arms coolers all the time!
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [Jie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense taken at all. I have used them under a wetsuit. They worked great. The key is taking your time getting the wetsuit on over the garment. Even consider rolling the wetsuit on from an inside out position. (best analogy is um...like a condom).

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them during an IM last year and put them on after the swim. Didn't seem to take too long, though with IMs you do have people helping you. Worked great for me that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it takes literally a few seconds...like 10 secs, just practice putting them on in whatever top you'll be racing in. I wore them for an Ironman last year and they warmed up my arms right out of the cold swim then cooled them off later in the ride when the sun came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wear under wetsuit unless it is sleeveless wetsuit

i wear them under mine

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [Jie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jie wrote:
Never tried jamming sleeved arms into a swimming wetsuit - have you? I can see it complicates things when trying to get comfortable in the wet suit, and also possibly during removal.

BTW, I don't mean to offend - I just ordered the cool wings yesterday and I wear the arms coolers all the time!

Grab the end of the shirt sleeve with your hand, and put a plastic grocery bag over your hand. It'll slide right into the wetsuit sleeve.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good approach I hadn't thought of. If I ever find the urge to swim with sleeves under a wet suit I'll remember your advise, but at this moment I can't help but think putting it on after the swim is not that big of a deal given I'm not racing ITU races and literally fighting for seconds. And if I were, that means I won't be on the bike long enough to worry about whether I'm in sleeves or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sizing for the arm coolers, would I wear a small if I have the 2 pocket Skin cooler top in a small??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree the wings are great, no issues. I have gotten a few sun spots on my arms so I actaully want to get another set.

Also, I think a skull cap will help keep out some UV rays.

---------------------------------------
Sponsors hit me up, space for rent.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimeon wrote:
sizing for the arm coolers, would I wear a small if I have the 2 pocket Skin cooler top in a small??

correct, you will most likely be small.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question about the coolers. I will be at the 70.3 WC in September and as of now I will be wearing Forza low cuts and 78 degree swim top, which I wore at Muncie and really liked. I was wondering if wearing the cool wings under the 78 degree top during the swim would not be good as it would create too much drag. Obviously the other option would be just get the arm coolers but the idea of having my shoulders covered might be nice because I got burned pretty bad yesterday even with sunscreen on! I am also looking into the Liftfoil to wear for the whole race. I just don't know which option I want to go with.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:

Chances are, if you need cool wings in a race, it wont be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [grnfsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grnfsh wrote:
Emilio wrote:

Depends on where you're racing. For those of us who live and race in coastal California (and Oregon, and Washington, and Vancouver, etc...), the water's almost never over 70 degrees, no matter how hot the air temp is.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

----------------
Depends on where you're racing. For those of us who live and race in coastal California (and Oregon, and Washington, and Vancouver, etc...), the water's almost never over 70 degrees, no matter how hot the air temp is.

------------------
X2

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [grnfsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grnfsh wrote:
Emilio wrote:

You have obviously never done a race in/around Lake Michigan.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you are planning on using them at IM Louisville where it won't be wetsuit legal and will (most likely) be hot as heck?!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
What if you are planning on using them at IM Louisville where it won't be wetsuit legal and will (most likely) be hot as heck?!

That was my question exactly. I survived at Muncie in the heat but going to Vegas in September might be another beast and I would like to keep my body as cool as possible.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for anyone who has raced with them: If you know, in advance, you are going to use them, why don't you put them on UNDER your tri top?

I just ordered a pair. They were on back-order, but, shipped on Friday. I plan on using them for a HIM on Sunday (unless the long-range weather forecast changes).

I got wings rather than the cooling shirt b/c of my team tri uniform that I need to wear. So, why not wear the wings under the tri top (and also under the wetsuit)? Would the back portion be uncomfortable under a tight-fitting tri top?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore them at IMSG over my sleeveless race suit. They are thin enough to wear under though. The Only drawback would be if you want to take them off if it cools. I especially liked soaking them on the bike to stay cool but I did get a nice little sunburn near my arm pit where there was no protection so make sure you have sunscreen where you need it.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are in a great combination with the Forza Low Cut Trishorts and the 78 Degree Swim Top. As for shoulder coverage, I would put them on in T1 instead of swimming in them, but the best way to tell if they are going to work swimming is to follow EMILIO'S FIRST LAW OF TRIATHLON:

NEVER USE ANYTHING IN A RACE, THAT YOU HAVE NOT TESTED FIRST IN TRAINING.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto cool wings [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put them on in T1. They only take a few seconds, which is nothing in an IM distance race.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply

Prev Next