Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander
Quote | Reply
Like most people with a passion for their sport, I love to watch, learn and simply marvel at the pros. So this posting simply in that spirit.

Chris McCormack, is a controversial figure and one that people either seem to loath or love. I personally think he is an incredible athlete who arguably may be the best all-round triathlete in the history of the sport. But whatever, it is interesting to note that whatever you think of him he knows his facts.

In his post-2010 Ironman Championship interviews and in his new book he talked about the strategy to defeat Alexander (another great athlete to be sure) who all too many had already cannonized as the odds-on favorite for a 3-peat. McCormack talked about Alexander truly being a great athlete and that you for certain did not want to get into a footrace with him (which means a lot coming from a guy who is a fantastic runner himself)! HOWEVER, he went to say that Alexander is an 8:19 Ironman athelet all day long and highly predictable. He has never broken 8:15 and never gone over 8:21. Here it is:

• 2007 2nd place 8:19:04
  • 2008 1st place 8:20:21
  • 2009 1st place 8:17:45
  • 2010 4th place 8:16:53
Now, yesterday he won Ironman Coeur 'd Alene in, yep, 8:19:48.

Great athlete? Incredible no doubt.

But again in the context of McCormack's analysis, he is dead on. Alexander is an incredibly consistent athlete that you do not want to get into a foot chase with, but the key is to break him on the bike early and often.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [chicagoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig *potentially* has some low hanging fruit on the bike though as well, between position, setup, frame, and helmet choices.

Then again he may have explored all of these options and found them to not work for him.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8:38 at IM Australia (2007)...just sayin'

;)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard that from Macca as well and noticed the same thing yesterday. However, I wonder if we have a big enough sample size to really make that determination. I don't think it's so much that Crowie can't go faster than 8:17 but that he's done a limited number of races and most of them have been in Hawaii. He's never really tried to spank it on a faster course. I heard Macca try to explain how he can beat Crowie by saying he's a sub-8 guy, and that's true, but Crowie has really never tried to go sub-8 on a fast course like Macca has.

The thing I would note, and on this Macca is spot on, is that I do think Crowie rides very conservatively on the bike with the idea he can run anyone down. This is what happened to him last year and it turns out he was wrong. I wonder if this year he'll feel more pressure not to give up so much time on the bike. The key will be seeing if he can do that and still run sub 2:45.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to argue an indeterminable scenario, but if you only need 8:19 to win, you don't kill yourself shooting for 8:10. I'm sure that he could put together a sub-8:10 performance, but perhaps he just doesn't recognize the execution aspects in a closely contested race.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicagoman wrote:
Like most people with a passion for their sport, I love to watch, learn and simply marvel at the pros. So this posting simply in that spirit.

Chris McCormack, is a controversial figure and one that people either seem to loath or love. I personally think he is an incredible athlete who arguably may be the best all-round triathlete in the history of the sport. But whatever, it is interesting to note that whatever you think of him he knows his facts.

In his post-2010 Ironman Championship interviews and in his new book he talked about the strategy to defeat Alexander (another great athlete to be sure) who all too many had already cannonized as the odds-on favorite for a 3-peat. McCormack talked about Alexander truly being a great athlete and that you for certain did not want to get into a footrace with him (which means a lot coming from a guy who is a fantastic runner himself)! HOWEVER, he went to say that Alexander is an 8:19 Ironman athelet all day long and highly predictable. He has never broken 8:15 and never gone over 8:21. Here it is:

But again in the context of McCormack's analysis, he is dead on. Alexander is an incredibly consistent athlete that you do not want to get into a foot chase with, but the key is to break him on the bike early and often.

It's a little bit like the old Indurain method of winning the TDF:
Kill everyone in the TT's & hang on in the mountains.
Knowing that he will follow the tried & true method is one thing.
Beating him is another thing - and not easy :)
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curious what you'd change with his position on his current bike.

Mat Steinmetz
http://www.retul.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thoughts, sort of academic though. We're still talking about some extremely talented and gifted Iron distance athletes. And they both have had off days.... strange though, Crowies off days are better than my best days with an engine attached. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know for sure on the position, haven't seen it lately.

but in kona I'd put an aero helmet on him and maybe that new orbea frame or one of the top 4 superbike frames.

this is just the speculation of a fan, not criticism or informed critique even =)

Mat Steinmetz wrote:

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Doesn't matter what Crowie runs, bikes, swims this year in Kona. The Raelert brothers will own Kona in 2011. Michael Raelert is an even better runner than Crowie. It wouldn't surprise me to see Michael turn in a Kona record this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Doesn't matter what Crowie runs, bikes, swims this year in Kona. The Raelert brothers will own Kona in 2011. Michael Raelert is an even better runner than Crowie. It wouldn't surprise me to see Michael turn in a Kona record this year.

Yeah but Crowie is going to train harder than them - so he will win.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
don't know for sure on the position, haven't seen it lately.

but in kona I'd put an aero helmet on him and maybe that new orbea frame or one of the top 4 superbike frames.

this is just the speculation of a fan, not criticism or informed critique even =)

Mat Steinmetz wrote:

Mat Steinmetz

I note that Crowie wore an aero helmet for this race...
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many IMs has Michael Raelert done?

I don't see him doing his 1st IM ever (he needs to finish one to qualify) and then backing it up a few months later to beat Crowie in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not the slightest bit worried about Michael. He will qualify. Andreas says Michael is better than he is and last time I checked, Andreas was pretty much on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
I am not the slightest bit worried about Michael. He will qualify. Andreas says Michael is better than he is and last time I checked, Andreas was pretty much on it.

There's no such thing as 'better than'. It all comes down to who trains the hardest, remember?
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you say so. Some people are naturally better at things. No, whoever trains the hardest does not always win. Obviously you have never seen Michael race. The guy is an absolute animal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have to work at that or does it just come naturally?
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [BubbaKeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Work at what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
If you say so. Some people are naturally better at things. No, whoever trains the hardest does not always win. Obviously you have never seen Michael race. The guy is an absolute animal.

Oh, I don't know. I seem to remember that somebody posted this not too long ago.

That is just a completely ridiculous post!

If they all worked equally as hard, we would never have a winner. Obviously someone ALWAYS works just a little bit harder. That person is the overall winner. That is in any sport whether it be an individual or a team. That extra work put it in is what determines the Champion/Champions.
ept

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicagoman wrote:

The most important fact you should know about Crowie is that he has won 2 Ironman World Championship Titles...in a row. Macca has also won two. No one cares about the times at Hawaii, it is all about winning.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew what you were TRYING to bate me in to saying. I just needed to confirm I was correct. A personal friend of mine on this forum and I had a bet. I just won because of you. Thank you very much. As I predicted, you're one of those guys on here that looks to TRY and start stuff and create drama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
I knew what you were TRYING to bate me in to saying. I just needed to confirm I was correct. A personal friend of mine on this forum and I had a bet. I just won because of you. Thank you very much. As I predicted, you're one of those guys on here that looks to TRY and start stuff and create drama.

Nice try mate.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:

Mat Steinmetzhttp://www.retul.com[/quote[/url]]

His major angles look great but...

I would ask him to drop his head lower. Every time I see him on a bike the top of his head is like 6-8 inches over the level of his back. His non-aero helmet doesn't help with this, but he still has a very high carry for the company he keeps. And he needs an aero helmet, needs to clean up the crap he always hangs on the rear of his bike, possibly experiment with hand position as well. I would be surprised if that borderline forearms angled down position is really the fastest. I would guess he just likes it and doesn't want to change. Though that may have been corrected somewhat this year. Did you do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is simply not a factual statement. many people, including some pros, have specifically targeted various course records at times.

Brandes wrote:
No one cares about the times at Hawaii, it is all about winning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you like to confirm? You can pm him if you like? I knew EXACTLY who you were and what you were trying to do. It's hard to forget asshats like yourself. Don't worry, you aren't alone. There are several of you on here that do not get the attention you need at home and have to revert to slowtwitch to get your fix.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that work ethic predicts your outcome. Yes, some people are naturally gifted athletes, but if they don't train hard, they aren't going to step in to a 140.6 race and win. Michael and Andreas train hard and their results speak for themselves.
Quote Reply

Prev Next