Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chrabot's power file
Quote | Reply
I first want to say thanks to trainingpeaks and Matt, whoever allowed us access to the power file, so many triathletes guard their files like gold which makes no sense to me. I also don't want to take anything away from ITU athletes as they are killer athletes in all sports they compete in, no question.

In looking at the power file however I was struck by the fact that they are in fact cycling at a level much lower than their running and swimming performances, no doubt. His average power was 275 for 1 hour (I know NP was 300), I know he's 140 lbs but still, the fact that these guys are swimming like 18 minutes and running 31 minute 10ks, 275 watts for an hour is much easier relatively, not to say though that many couldn't ride much harder. TJ Tollakson averaged 280 watts for 4.5 hours in an his Ironman win at Lake Placid. He was also in the breakaway, if you rode in the main "peloton" there is no question you could put out like 200 watts and stay with that main pack. I remember in the tour one year they had a heart rate monitor on a guy in the peloton and he was just sitting there at like 58 bpm just getting pulled along by the rest of the group.

Just my observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that too, and then saw that he biked at 100TSS. Try biking 1 hour FTP, and then run Sub-5-minute-miles for 10K. Also, ITU pack riding is a lot more twitchy, so it's hard to judge effort based off of NP and Average Power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't you heard the bike leg in ITU is just a blow dry after the swim (shampoo)?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the normalized power is 4.7 watts/kg

that puts him in studly cat 2, or lower end cat 1 road cyclist.

You ever done a cat 2 road race?

good luck.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: May 15, 12 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very true I didn't notice the TSS and IF numbers. .95 IF puts his Threshold at 315, pretty good for 140 lbs. It does, however, underscore the fact that the superior swimmer runners dominate ITU racing. A racer who was larger, say 170 pounds with the same watts/kg, say like 385 watts, still would have a hard time using the additional power to his advantage given drafting and the exponential increase in air resistance at speeds above 25 mph. The extra weight would then make it harder for him to run the 30 minute 10ks the leaders run. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admittedly this was years ago and Chrabot is pretty short, but imagining his actual weight from racing bikes against him in college as being 140lbs is pretty tough. He's pretty jacked.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Admittedly this was years ago and Chrabot is pretty short, but imagining his actual weight from racing bikes against him in college as being 140lbs is pretty tough. He's pretty jacked.

even if he is a bit bigger, and merely an average cat 2 cyclist.

that is a hell of a cyclist.

you go do your local sprint/oly tri, there will usually be 0 people there that strong.

and of course aside from the pure power output, it takes a very good cyclist to keep himself in a position where he doesn't have to do 400 watts for an hour, and not crash, and not be TOO far back in the pack.

In other words the rather huge host of skills that are a major part of cycling, suddenly are also relevant in ITU, where they are not in non drafting races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't discounting the skill/power of Matt (or any other ITU racer), merely pointing out that I have a hard time believing he only weighs 140 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I've done cat 1,2,3 races. I actually didn't do as well since I couldn't sprint and people at that level are hard to break off of you slipstream, especially when they work with their "team mates". I actually have a higher FTP than him but I weigh 20 more lbs so almost the same watts/kg but I cannot run or swim that fast. Like I said very quality athletes in all their sports but I guess more on a relative than absolute basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus they are doing laps of a small tight circuit, so lots of accelerations to contend with, not the straight forward route of most non-drafting races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some events are hillier than others too, no sure how hilly SD was. The bike studs can target the hilly races, or get lucky with horrifically windy days!

HXB wrote:
Yes I've done cat 1,2,3 races. I actually didn't do as well since I couldn't sprint and people at that level are hard to break off of you slipstream, especially when they work with their "team mates". I actually have a higher FTP than him but I weigh 20 more lbs so almost the same watts/kg but I cannot run or swim that fast. Like I said very quality athletes in all their sports but I guess more on a relative than absolute basis.

Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I wasn't discounting the skill/power of Matt (or any other ITU racer), merely pointing out that I have a hard time believing he only weighs 140 lbs.

I dunno. He said he's fitter than he's ever been. I could believe he's 140 in tip-top shape. He is 5'9" as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, well said, cycling is a very "cerebral" sport and requires gambling, risk taking, a bit of luck and planning, not to mention handling skills normal triathletes have no idea about, I think many AGers would be shocked at how different bike races are than triathlon "TTs". ITU definitely has many of these aspects which definitely complicates things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I just imagine myself at an inch+ shorter and subtracting 10-13 lbs is tough. Where does it go?? haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similar thing with swimming, ITU or not, since both allow drafting there. I'm always amazed by how aware of the situation most of the pros are. They know whose feet they are on and where the swim packs are.

I never know anything! Except maybe where the next buoy is, hopefully.

HXB wrote:
Ah yes, well said, cycling is a very "cerebral" sport and requires gambling, risk taking, a bit of luck and planning, not to mention handling skills normal triathletes have no idea about, I think many AGers would be shocked at how different bike races are than triathlon "TTs". ITU definitely has many of these aspects which definitely complicates things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
I first want to say thanks to trainingpeaks and Matt, whoever allowed us access to the power file, so many triathletes guard their files like gold which makes no sense to me. I also don't want to take anything away from ITU athletes as they are killer athletes in all sports they compete in, no question.

In looking at the power file however I was struck by the fact that they are in fact cycling at a level much lower than their running and swimming performances, no doubt. His average power was 275 for 1 hour (I know NP was 300), I know he's 140 lbs but still, the fact that these guys are swimming like 18 minutes and running 31 minute 10ks, 275 watts for an hour is much easier relatively, not to say though that many couldn't ride much harder. TJ Tollakson averaged 280 watts for 4.5 hours in an his Ironman win at Lake Placid. He was also in the breakaway, if you rode in the main "peloton" there is no question you could put out like 200 watts and stay with that main pack. I remember in the tour one year they had a heart rate monitor on a guy in the peloton and he was just sitting there at like 58 bpm just getting pulled along by the rest of the group.

Just my observation.

"I know he's 140lbs but still"??? TJ is over 11kg heavier than he is. As in almost a 15 percent difference. As in thats not a but still, that a huge difference.

If you use 4.7 watts like jack has that means that if they had equal power/weight ratios TJ's would be close to 350 watts. The FTP range for ironman difference is 70-80 percent, and since TJ is a great biker i'll use 80 percent that puts him at about 278 or so. Essentially right where Chrabot is based on FTP. I think TJ's is actually a bit higher so that is probably an overestimation of the percent he's racing at but still they aren't that far apart. Which you would expect since they are both pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
similar thing with swimming, ITU or not, since both allow drafting there. I'm always amazed by how aware of the situation most of the pros are. They know whose feet they are on and where the swim packs are.

I never know anything! Except maybe where the next buoy is, hopefully.

LMAO...this is so me too. I always wonder how they know those things in the water...I don't have a clue. I just go....

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team