Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my E118 with the new Profile Design HC bottle. Works great!!

Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
Here is my E-116. Finally getting time after a two week business trip to put some miles on it and make the last fit adjustments.

- Rolf Prima TDF6 SL
- Rotor 3D TT Crank w/ 53/39 QRings
- Campagnolo Chorus
- Dash Stage.9 saddle
- Zipp VukaBull

VeryNice!
How do you like those Rolf wheels?

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you like those Rolf wheels?

I like them a lot. Fast, solid wheels with a good ride quality. Hit an unmarked pothole in a race, no issues other than my left aero bar rotating down. Rest of the ride, with two bridge climbs and descents, was interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to the thread (already posted pics of my ride).

I had an unfortunate crash at the end of a TT last week: A junior racer turned in front (without looking) of me shortly after the finish line which caused me to slam on the brakes and over the bars I went at around 22 - 23 mph. Witnesses stated the bike went about 5-6 feet in the air landing about 5 feet from me.

I took way more damage to to my body than the bike did.

Aside from what looks like a crack around the bottom stem bolt (which I think Ruckus Composites can fix for pretty cheap) and some minor cosmetic damage around the bottom of the headtube ... the bike had no other issues (I had a shop check the bike over for other cracks the next day) and worked flawlessly during today's ITT.

I was expecting to have to buy a new frame/fork ... but it turns out the bike is built pretty solid ... and still rides and races great.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [kirknelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Quarq Elsa, what method did you use to install the magnet? It can be installed 3 ways but with the pressfit GXP bb, I think you can only use the adhesive putty.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Hi Rick

certainly. I had a LOT of "fun" playing with this. I am running 54/42.
First off, I have come to terms, that it is not possible to set this up on the E118 (at least) perfectly, in the sense that you can run all gear combinations without the chain touching the derailleur.
So what I did was to ensure that all gears run smoothly while on the BIG ring - and then have as many of the bigger cogs run smoothly on the small ring.
I could never get the first (smallest) 3-4 cogs to run well on the small chain ring, without a bit of rubbing/noise.
Let me know if you find a solution, OK.

1. As you can see I had to "Dremel" the E118 derailleur holder a bit to lift the derailleur enough to get free space over the big chain ring. So start getting this free space and use the Osymetric special spacer too.

2. Add the 3 little spacer rings by opening the back of the derailleur (the little screw)

3. Adjust the overall position of the front derailleur by the screw that holds it in place on the frame, so that it runs OK on the big chain ring. Fine adjust the Di2 afterwards.

4. Try to get as many gears to run well on the small chain ring too.

Good luck! Thomas

Get a QXL front derailleur spacer kit from rotorbikeusa. That will make life easier for setting up large, non-round chain rings. One benefit is you won't need to dremel the front der hanger. Other is it might help the rubbing issue a little bit by pushing the derailleur back some.
Nice pics.

Kirk and Charity
IBB Cyclery & Multisport - Fitting and Custom Spec Build Experts
Brands: Argon 18 - Cervelo - Orbea -
Quintana Roo
- 3T - Enve - Rotor - ISM - Schwalbe - I9 - Speedplay - Lake - Infinit - Zipp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
On the rear brakes, I had to leave at least one washer in order to be able to hold the pads. The front brakes can have all the washers removed.

You can remove both washers as long as u take up the extra "space" on the other side of the brake arm by placing the washer on the outside of the pad holder.

Kirk and Charity
Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [dparulan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dparulan wrote:
With Quarq Elsa, what method did you use to install the magnet? It can be installed 3 ways but with the pressfit GXP bb, I think you can only use the adhesive putty.

Edit: ha I thought u were asking from a quarq forum - I've been having spiking issues with my Elsa. I used putty. Tried new battery, multiple magnet positons, adjusting chainring torque, and nothing. The problem is the actual spider electronics I guess. It's headed back to quarq.

Kirk and Charity
Quintana Roo
Last edited by: kirknelson: Jul 29, 13 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. It's been running fine with these wheels with one spacer in the rear, but that's good to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
Interesting. It's been running fine with these wheels with one spacer in the rear, but that's good to know.

just incase they decide to get super crazy with rim widths 6 months from now!

Kirk and Charity
Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/...HJHU35xIGO2MXOZ1T_ew

Thoughts??

I do like the slimmed down approach to the lines of the bike. I imagine aside from that....not a whole lot has changed.

I like it though

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone have a solution for the ugly/un aero front brake cable ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [FKDUPJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The majority of the bikes with the TRP brake on the rear of the fork have a "noodle". Given all the other work that goes into hiding cables, this design seems an afterthought but that's not pointed at Argon, it's any of these bikes. There are now multiple versions of a much more integrated brake that is on the front (Trek Speed Concept 9 etc) or inside between the blades.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [FKDUPJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FKDUPJ wrote:

I haven't put much thought or effort into it, but I'm thinking there's not much that can be done

Kirk and Charity
Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kirknelson wrote:
FKDUPJ wrote:

I haven't put much thought or effort into it, but I'm thinking there's not much that can be done

Mine has been wrapped under the bar tape then made a little longer so it lies against the head tube. The shop used a slightly different cable tube attached to the brake (terminology? The shiny metal bit sticking out of the side of the brake) so the cable is almost invisible. They had to use some transparent 'helicopter tape' at my request to save the cable rubbing the head tube.

Will post a pic when I can upload it.

Biggest issue I have had with this bike (it is 2 months old) is that the seat-post keeps slipping, causing damage to it. We have tried two different posts, various assembly compounds and grip stuff, even over-torquing the screw. None of it has worked so it looks like I'm getting the frameset swapped out under warranty. It might mean I have to have a 2014 instead of my stealth black 2013 though.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [Bopomofo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, maybe not. When I was buying my E116 in May, they had a few spare 2012 E118 warranty replacement frames they were starting to sell off at a discount, so one would think while still in the 2013 calendar year, your warranty replacement would be the same bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's being replaced with the 2014 frame. I had to send them a pic of my frame with the S/N visible and a hacksaw cut through the downtube before they would ship it from Canada :( Hardest thing I've ever done: like penning a beard and glasses on Mona Lisa.

So, my E116 Ultegra arrives on Friday. She'll be rolling on Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL.

Not as insane as many of the A18s on this thread, but VERY upgradeable :-D If I ever go under the hour for a 25TT I've promised myself a nice upgrade.... ha ha ha...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas:

Quick question about your BTA bottle cage and SRM mount. Is that a Torpedo mount? And how did you mount the SRM? I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this where I can still see my SRM.

Thanks.

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [rkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi folks - help me a bit pls... I am 182 cm - 6ft - and seeking for a new bike. E-118 could be a good choice - on sale there is one with frame size S - recommended up to 6ft. - so max for me... not optimal I think, but due to the price I am still interested in. do U think that could work?
I am seeking for COMFORT - rather than plus/minus 2-3 minutes during the race...
thanks for your advise in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:

Love the bottle/system. Advice for you - tape it in place. Last 70.3 it popped out twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [kolzol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kolzol wrote:
hi folks - help me a bit pls... I am 182 cm - 6ft - and seeking for a new bike. E-118 could be a good choice - on sale there is one with frame size S - recommended up to 6ft. - so max for me... not optimal I think, but due to the price I am still interested in. do U think that could work?
I am seeking for COMFORT - rather than plus/minus 2-3 minutes during the race...

I'm 190cm or 6'3, I'm close to maxing out an E118 2013 size L, so I'd really expect you to be on the upper end of an M or the low end of an L. I don't think you would fit on an S, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [JCinBKK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm 190cm or 6'3, I'm close to maxing out an E118 2013 size L, so I'd really expect you to be on the upper end of an M or the low end of an L. I don't think you would fit on an S, IMHO.

I would agree. I'm right around 5'9" and ride an E-116 S. I have to watch when I stand on the bike as I'll knock my knees on my elbow pads or extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [kolzol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5'11" and my E-118 is a large - it fits like a glove; however I was professionally fitted for my bike. I would recommend going to a reputable LBS to be fitted to determine what fit is best for you, what is comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [JCinBKK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JCinBKK wrote:
kolzol wrote:

I'm 183cm and ride an E118 size M. I can't imagine riding an S, I wouldn't do it, especially since you mention comfort being top priority. Buying stuff you can't use is always expensive, even when it's cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring out your Argon 18 E-118/E-116 [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saundo wrote:
drluke12 wrote:

Love the bottle/system. Advice for you - tape it in place. Last 70.3 it popped out twice.

Really funny you mention that! I've been using it for several months without any issue at all in both training and racing, but this past weekend, I did Ironman Arizona and near the end of the first lap over a bit of a bumpy section, my bottle popped right out during the race. Had to quickly stop and go back and pick it up. Took a bit of time, but I was able to get back with the group I was working with. Next time, I will either tape or use rubber bands to keep that thing in!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next