Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man
Quote | Reply
And the answer is no, there is not. He will win Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, no pink. He will be your 2017 Ironman World Champion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drinking early today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - this is what is stopping him:

Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Drinking early today?

Maybe he is in South Africa?
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop drinking the slowtwitch koolaid. Seems that you have forgotten that the Hoff already beat Frodo in 2014. Plus he is younger and only entering his peak now. You just have to look at his progression and know a little Ironman history to know that this is Ben Hoffman's year.
Last edited by: aerobike: Apr 2, 17 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. That's very true. And funny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
Stop drinking the slowtwitch koolaid. Seems that you have forgotten that the Hoff already beat Frodo in 2014. Plus he is younger and only entering his peak now. You just have to look at his progression and know a little Ironman history to know that this is Ben Hoffman's year.

These are also impediments:

FINALLY:
Everyone just KNEW she was unbeatable in '95. We all just KNEW IT!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny. My instant thought was T.O.. With Rinni unable to race, he's got added pressure to bring home the paycheck. Also seems like Potts is running out of chances, so he'll be in the mix again. It would be awesome to see the 3 of them side by side at mile 140.5 with a sprint finish deciding the podium between the 3 of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:

Hoffman also has plenty of experience at Kona and has raced well there in the past (2nd in '14 IIRC?). Experience counts for something at Kona.

The field is getting seriously stacked for the men. Hoffman is entering his prime. Kienle is entering his prime. Patrick Lange is more than just a wildcard IMO: a run like that is a force to be reckoned with. Frodo is probably still the guy to beat so long as he doesn't flat, lol. TO has been in the mix the last few years... and heck there's a lot of talented guys out there that aren't even getting a mention that could have a good day.

I think it's very reasonable to think that we could see five guys within a mile of each other at the halfway point of the run at Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd actually say that Patrick Lange is probably the biggest obstacle for 2017. If you eliminate Lange's penalty, the 2016 race becomes a whole lot more interesting.

With that said, the Kona precedent is certainly in full effect - the winner comes from the prior year's top-4 (or was a prior winner). And I'd say that Lange, Hoffman, Kienle, and Frodeno all should certainly be considered viable candidates for the win. But if I was to pick a winner right now (which is obviously foolish), I'd say Lange. As we saw three times with Crowie, it's just very hard to beat the fastest runner in the field if he's also a good swimmer and at least a capable biker, which Lange is.

But precedence has also not been particularly kind to people who have had success at Ironman so early in the year. Yes, Ben was able to back up his win at IMSA last year with a 4th in Kona, but I can't think of anyone on the men's side who has won an Ironman so early in the year who then was able to win in Kona.

Ben (and his coach) certainly seem able to dial it back and get Ben the recovery he needs, which is what seems to crush folks who race so early.

But hats off to Ben. Regardless of what happens in October, his performance today in South Africa was phenomenal.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to Ben. That is awesome! Fantastic run. I don't know about Kona but he seems like a good heat runner. Also very dedicated and hard working. Well deserved!
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lange is def a big threat, another Patrik to keep your eyes on is Nilsson. 2 sub 8 within weeks of each other despite mechanical trouble on the bike. Hes also improved his position on the bike so expecting him to improve there as well.
He is still very young though so still learning a lot about how to race optimally so maybe is to early for him to be a top contender, however when he figures that out I think he will be a homerun. Great in all disciplines.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree that Lange is a great pick, we haven't seen his durability. Pete Jacobs was certainly the future and had a great win, but hasn't had a great race since that Kona win
That top tier is really strong and it may depend how has the best lead up without injury. Often, I see guys like Lange get so close then get injured. He needs a coach that watches him closely. I have no idea if he has that.
Hoffman seems to be smart enough to be patient and yet have the desire to do what is necessary. I would love be to see the US back in the mix. Maybe he can make America great again - ;)
You are right, there is a handful of potential winners. I would throw Gomez in the list.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Yes - this is what is stopping him:

There is the Faris disciple Lang who may have a say too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
As usual, great points.
There is no telling who will win in October. But the top four from last year and about eight more have a legit shot to podium.

Ben will rest up and he'll have the timing down for October. Most of the timing issue is self confidence and belief. And Ben has plenty of that. Needs to find that .2-.3% fitness gain across the board. That is what it will take to win.
Last edited by: oprfcc: Apr 2, 17 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great improvement from last years time for Hoffman. I'd love to see a close race in the final miles at Kona between him and Ze Germans. Having 4 guys all so close together would make for great excitement. I do wonder what Hoffman's window is. He's right in the typical prime years and with the possibilities of the ITU studs moving up and Sanders fixing his weaknesses, the top end is going to start to get crowded

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lange is coached by Faris, and it's hard to know really what to make of that. Faris was the youngest winner (maybe ever, but at least in a very long time), but then he never really reached that level of performance again. I doubt many people who saw Faris win at 27 thought, "oh, that's the last time he'll be on the top of the podium..." But after a valiant effort at a title defense, 2006 was actually the last time he was ever on the podium at all in Kona. So that either speaks well for Lange - Faris learned lessons he will share with his protege - or it's a warning sign.

Overall, it's interesting to compare Ben and Patrick, because they represent sort of the opposite molds of success in Kona.

Many of the great champions - Peter Reid and Tim DeBoom primarily here but also Faris and Normann and Macca (to a lesser degree) - followed the Ben Hoffman template. They went to Kona. Did "well" and continually improved before breaking through to win. Pete Jacobs also followed this mold, though Pete is a bit of an outlier in other regards. Freddie Van Lierde also. These are the guys who slowly but surely get better bit by bit. Macca doesn't really fit this mold, because in his case it was more about learning to race Kona specifically, because he crushed everything else. But Ben definitely fits this mold, especially similar (I think) to Tim DeBoom.

However, Patrick Lange represents what I think is - especially recently - the new Kona paradigm. This is typified by Luc Van Lierde originally, but more recently by Crowie, Sebastian, and - of course - Frodeno. These are the guys who make an immediate impact and where it seems pretty clear that it's only a matter of time before they win. Crowie was 2nd on debut. Sebi was 4th. Frodo was 3rd (with flats & penalty). Lange fits this with a 3rd place (with penalty) and a decimation of the run course record on debut. This *SEEMS* to be the new, more likely, predictor of success. LVL won immediately. Crowie and Frodo on their second efforts. Sebi on his third go.

Overall, there are just a lot of guys who fit the, "THIS is the year they finally break through!" - but who never do - pattern. Cam Brown and Andreas Raelert are the ones everyone knows. Certainly it would be hard to argue that anyone didn't see those guys putting together the pieces in any given year. And their track records of consistency are phenomenal. It's hard to look at either career there and think it somehow fell short.

The thing about Kona is that, now, it seems you really need to be transcendent in one discipline to win. Lange is obviously just a truly incredible marathon runner. Sebi is a phenomenal biker. Jan is really a transcendent swimmer and may also be transcendent as both a biker and a runner but he just never needs to show it. In terms of completeness, Jan is just a flawless triathlete. (Just like Javier. And like Alistair.) But regardless, whether it's Crowie (running), Normann (biking), Macca (running and, to a certain extent, biking), Faris (swimming and, to a certain extent, biking), Peter Reid (running), Tim (running), PJ (running), you just need to have an ace in the hole.

The ONLY recent champion I can think of who does not have this "transcendence" is Freddie Van Lierde. And Ben reminds me a LOT of Freddie. That year that Ben broke through and came 2nd (2014), he talked about shadowing FVL for much of the day. But if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on FVL - or an athlete like FVL - winning again. I think FVL had a remarkable victory, but I also think he was the beneficiary of timing - just at the end of the Macca/Crowie era and just before the beginning of Kienle/Frodeno era. With the impending addition of Lange - and perhaps Gomez and Brownlee (I'm reticent to crown them quite so early just because the list of ITU stars who were "obviously" going to crush Ironman but didn't is extremely long; I'll reserve judgement until they do an Ironman, and then - especially Alistair because he isn't known for racing well in the heat - they do Kona), I don't know that I expect another solid-across-the-board-but-not-truly-exceptional-in-any-one-discipline athlete (like The Hoff) to win in Kona. It just seems to require that one ace. And, of all the newcomers, Lange's ace seems to be the most formidable, just because it a devastating marathon always has been.

Anyway, speculation is meaningless. That's why we race. But this is at least how I see the race in Kona evolving. And I think that favors Lange - and athletes like him - as opposed to athletes like The Hoff (as well as guys like TO or Lionel).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Lange is coached by Faris, and it's hard to know really what to make of that. Faris was the youngest winner (maybe ever, but at least in a very long time), but then he never really reached that level of performance again. I doubt many people who saw Faris win at 27 thought, "oh, that's the last time he'll be on the top of the podium..." But after a valiant effort at a title defense, 2006 was actually the last time he was ever on the podium at all in Kona. So that either speaks well for Lange - Faris learned lessons he will share with his protege - or it's a warning sign.

Overall, it's interesting to compare Ben and Patrick, because they represent sort of the opposite molds of success in Kona.

Many of the great champions - Peter Reid and Tim DeBoom primarily here but also Faris and Normann and Macca (to a lesser degree) - followed the Ben Hoffman template. They went to Kona. Did "well" and continually improved before breaking through to win. Pete Jacobs also followed this mold, though Pete is a bit of an outlier in other regards. Freddie Van Lierde also. These are the guys who slowly but surely get better bit by bit. Macca doesn't really fit this mold, because in his case it was more about learning to race Kona specifically, because he crushed everything else. But Ben definitely fits this mold, especially similar (I think) to Tim DeBoom.

However, Patrick Lange represents what I think is - especially recently - the new Kona paradigm. This is typified by Luc Van Lierde originally, but more recently by Crowie, Sebastian, and - of course - Frodeno. These are the guys who make an immediate impact and where it seems pretty clear that it's only a matter of time before they win. Crowie was 2nd on debut. Sebi was 4th. Frodo was 3rd (with flats & penalty). Lange fits this with a 3rd place (with penalty) and a decimation of the run course record on debut. This *SEEMS* to be the new, more likely, predictor of success. LVL won immediately. Crowie and Frodo on their second efforts. Sebi on his third go.

Overall, there are just a lot of guys who fit the, "THIS is the year they finally break through!" - but who never do - pattern. Cam Brown and Andreas Raelert are the ones everyone knows. Certainly it would be hard to argue that anyone didn't see those guys putting together the pieces in any given year. And their track records of consistency are phenomenal. It's hard to look at either career there and think it somehow fell short.

The thing about Kona is that, now, it seems you really need to be transcendent in one discipline to win. Lange is obviously just a truly incredible marathon runner. Sebi is a phenomenal biker. Jan is really a transcendent swimmer and may also be transcendent as both a biker and a runner but he just never needs to show it. In terms of completeness, Jan is just a flawless triathlete. (Just like Javier. And like Alistair.) But regardless, whether it's Crowie (running), Normann (biking), Macca (running and, to a certain extent, biking), Faris (swimming and, to a certain extent, biking), Peter Reid (running), Tim (running), PJ (running), you just need to have an ace in the hole.

The ONLY recent champion I can think of who does not have this "transcendence" is Freddie Van Lierde. And Ben reminds me a LOT of Freddie. That year that Ben broke through and came 2nd (2014), he talked about shadowing FVL for much of the day. But if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on FVL - or an athlete like FVL - winning again. I think FVL had a remarkable victory, but I also think he was the beneficiary of timing - just at the end of the Macca/Crowie era and just before the beginning of Kienle/Frodeno era. With the impending addition of Lange - and perhaps Gomez and Brownlee (I'm reticent to crown them quite so early just because the list of ITU stars who were "obviously" going to crush Ironman but didn't is extremely long; I'll reserve judgement until they do an Ironman, and then - especially Alistair because he isn't known for racing well in the heat - they do Kona), I don't know that I expect another solid-across-the-board-but-not-truly-exceptional-in-any-one-discipline athlete (like The Hoff) to win in Kona. It just seems to require that one ace. And, of all the newcomers, Lange's ace seems to be the most formidable, just because it a devastating marathon always has been.

Anyway, speculation is meaningless. That's why we race. But this is at least how I see the race in Kona evolving. And I think that favors Lange - and athletes like him - as opposed to athletes like The Hoff (as well as guys like TO or Lionel).

Agreed on the speculation. Then again, we have the Mark Allen example, who had is arse handed to him time & time again by Dave Scott. Except one time. Eventually, Mark did put it together to win. The HOFF may be doing the same and will get a "W" even before Lange, or Sanders or any others do. Like you said Jordan, if it were that easy then there is no need for a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the knowledgeable discussion.

Watching the race live yesterday, I was filled with nostalgia of my race last year in PE; what a great couse! I remember when the Hoff passed me...so in control and strong. When Van Berkel came up...you could see the struggle.

The man raced South Africa like a machine. If my pace is anything like it was in 2015, I expect to see the victor coming down Palani towards the finish line just as I turn right to trundle up Palani for the Queen K. Frodo was flying down with that huge stride....I wonder who it's going to be for 2017. That feeling is a little less inspirational than watching these guys on my couch! :) Met TO at IM Taiwan 70.3 two weeks ago and I could feel the Big Island flowing through his competitive veins!

So much respect for all the pros who make sub 8'30", and increasingly sub 8s, look like a normal day in the ironman office. Hell, so much respect for everyone who loves this sport and works hard to race their best, not just finish and buy the gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with most of your strengths for each athlete, although you can also add the swim (to the run) for 'former' PJ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't Lionel fit your model, rather than fall into The Hoff's camp? transcendent biker/runner. Similar to Macca, needs to figure one thing out (the heat/swimming). Granted, the latter is not as easy to figure out as the former. But I'm curious why you group him in the way you do.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Hoffman - Is there any stopping this man [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Agree with most of your strengths for each athlete, although you can also add the swim (to the run) for 'former' PJ.

I would agree EXCEPT that PJ - unlike Faris and Jan - never really used his swim tactically. I.e., Jan is able to get out, get clipped in, get up the road, get settled, and avoid the insanity of the early part of the ride by how he executes his swim. He uses his swim to set himself for a dominant performance. Just like Faris.

Whether it's because he's not as good a cyclist or just never wanted to try to race that way, I don't ever recall PJ using his swim in this way. I think he COULD have, but he chose not to. That's why I didn't list PJ's swim. Not because it wasn't a weapon; he just never used it in that way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're misjudging Lionel. He's in the biker / runner model. One interesting thing about him is he's skipping Kona this year in lieu of 70.3's and focusing all year in improving his swimming.

I can see Lionel winning in 2018 or 2019
Quote Reply

Prev Next