Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beer [smilford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smilford wrote:
I

Actually, I'd say beer helps a lot with keeping my weight down. If I eat a meal and then drink a beer or two, I won't eat anything till next morning. IF I don't drink I basically have trouble getting my self out of the pantry.

+1. The evenings that I don't have a beer or two, I head straight for the gummy bears. During race season I maintain my weight (to the point where my wife tells me to eat more) that includes Coors Light.
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapeworm wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
Can someone get the tapeworm a beer? The dude needs to take of a little bit of the edge off.

Lolz, highlighting my point perfectly.

A little off topic here but just wondering how fast/good you really are at this sport. From your past posts you seem very type A... Possibly type A+.

Care to offer how great your results are after bashing the people who like to enjoy a beverage or three?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If somebody can drink a fair number of beers each week and maintain weight that's great. But if they didn't drink those beers, then maybe they'd be 10 pounds lighter

n=1

I typically drink " a fair # " most of the year, except when I take my personal "Run 50 miles in Dec and Run 100 miles in February", then it's no beers (exception allowed for Australia Day), no snack/added sugar.
I typically lose about 10-12 pounds, and it gets my winter base miles in.

Probably the weight loss that makes me get faster too. :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMAO ..... If 4:20 isn't the 'pointy end', then GD, you ain't drinkin enough
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
Can someone get the tapeworm a beer? The dude needs to take of a little bit of the edge off.

Lolz, highlighting my point perfectly.

A little off topic here but just wondering how fast/good you really are at this sport. From your past posts you seem very type A... Possibly type A+.

Care to offer how great your results are after bashing the people who like to enjoy a beverage or three?

Utterly irrelevant.

I don't care if people down a case after each training session. Nor am I "bashing" on them. I have an intense dislike, however, for the points I made in my first post. Mainly those who suddenly get all defensive or aggressive should anyone suggest that, despite how much they *really* like it, alcohol just doesn't help.

Did you read the articles attached? The science on alcohol and training are clear. Make the choice, live with it, but don't just to justify it by making up BS, like the above post - "I have to drink to keep the weight on" many lolz at that waffle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Im a 4:14 Half guy and a 9:10 IM guy.

I drink booze quite a bit during the summer months and less during the winter. I would definitely drink more but work in education and need to get up around 4 to get in a quality workout before work.

Overall I would say 10 - 20 beers per week during the winter, and a heck of a lot more during the summer.
still waiting for the 'like' button Dan .......
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
If somebody can drink a fair number of beers each week and maintain weight that's great. But if they didn't drink those beers, then maybe they'd be 10 pounds lighter

n=1

Weird logic.
If I never ate breakfast, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.
If I didn't eat any ice cream, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.
If I ran 100 more miles a month, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.

Look back through all the pro-beer people and see that the common thread is that they like it. C'mon, everyone knows there are calories in there. Either you drink them or eat them, but they all count. How you divide it up matters much less than the total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:
I get a laugh out of people who:-
1) have plateaued in their performance
2) think that in no way could alcohol be a factor in this
3) actually *believe* it's helping them
4) that get offended if you suggest that alcohol is a factor
5) think that life is somehow less complete without alcohol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/...00/Alcohol%2B(2).png

http://www.outsideonline.com/...tic-Performance.html

And the anti-booze slowtwitch police dude chimes in again.

Anti booze? Hardly. What I find even funnier is people who lack reading comprehension and context.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
raygovett wrote:

n=1

Weird logic.
If I never ate breakfast, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.
If I didn't eat any ice cream, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.
If I ran 100 more miles a month, I'd probably be 10 pounds lighter.

Look back through all the pro-beer people and see that the common thread is that they like it. C'mon, everyone knows there are calories in there. Either you drink them or eat them, but they all count. How you divide it up matters much less than the total.

Damn well said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:

n=1

I typically drink " a fair # " most of the year, except when I take my personal "Run 50 miles in Dec and Run 100 miles in February", then it's no beers (exception allowed for Australia Day), no snack/added sugar.

IF my uncle wore a dress
He'd probably be my auntie!

So you drink "a fair#" most of the year ...but don't drink at all dec - feb?
I bet you're looking forward to tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age 28, avg 15 hrs / wk, started running a few years ago and started racing triathlon two years go. I typically finish with AG podiums for local running races and regional sprint and olympic triathlons. Still working on my HIM strength, only a couple 5:30 blow-ups so far.

Typically one beer a night, 5-7 days per week. Maybe on a Saturday night social gathering I will have 2-3.

I enjoy good beer and I enjoy training and racing. I won't drink three beers the night before a long training event or race but I don't avoid drinking just because I enjoy training and racing at competitive levels.

Podiums are a ton of fun to chase but happiness is more fun, and to me, happiness is a good day of training/racing followed by an evening with good beer and friends.

Do whatever makes you happy and don't judge others.
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once saw a photo of Macca with a beer. I don't think it derailed his career? The more I train, the less I drink. I still enjoy life and if I want a beer I'll have one. Usually, I limit out at 2-3 at social occasions. I drink about a six pack per month.
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just reading through this thread has made me want to have a beer right now

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to this thread, I am now drinking a beer. I blame all of you for my poor performance tomorrow.

In my rest day, but still.
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
raygovett wrote:

n=1

IF my uncle wore a dress
He'd probably be my auntie!

F'n A mate

Fosters all round.

So you drink "a fair#" most of the year ...but don't drink at all dec - feb?
I bet you're looking forward to tomorrow!

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:

Everyone has to believe in something

I Believe I'll have one with you.

(its already Australia Day there)..

edited for the effects of the big oilcan of Fosters I just downed :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Last edited by: raygovett: Jan 24, 15 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm drinking one right now. Actually its my third. I don't do triathlon any more but am going for a six hour x-country ski tomorrow. At 63 yrs old I've realized a long time ago that life is much too short to not drink beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have one ready to go so had to use the 'wrap in kitchen paper' trick. Worked a treat

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
deludedcyclist wrote:

Everyone has to believe in something

I Believe I'll have one with you.

(its already Australia Day there)..

edited for the effects of the big oilcan of Fosters I just downed :-)

Fosters?

My humble apologies, I thought this was a thread about beer.

I retract all previous comments as I have no idea what effects refined cat's piss has on the human body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must admit that Fosters doesn't have much exposure here (Aust) anymore. If you want to try a nice drop try to get your hands on Stone and Wood pacific Ale. Boutique brewery in Byron Bay (NSW, Aust) makes it. Outstanding stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I'm drinking one right now. Actually its my third. I don't do triathlon any more but am going for a six hour x-country ski tomorrow. At 63 yrs old I've realized a long time ago that life is much too short to not drink beer.

The best part about winter is spending time in the mountains with friends - drinking beer and then skiing the next day followed by beers in the lodge and then the cabin and then skiing the next day. The start again. Doesn't matter if it's downhill or cross country. Common thread is friends, fun, family, skiing, and...beer (or chardonnay for my wife).
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 beer a night average. I've tried going long-term dry and it made zero difference other than make me feel like this at the end of a long ride:

When beer stops tasting like the nectar of the gods (proper English beer, mind), I'll give it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Team_Doc28 wrote:
I know its been talked about here alot, but figured it was time for updating. And I am mostly asking folks who are working out consistently 7-15 hours a week and are 4:20-5:00 HIM guys. Not the pointy pointy end of the field, but guys who can throw down some good times. How many beers are you drinking on a typical week? Do you ever go completely dry?

I'm a bike racer, not a triathlete. But I train about 15 hours a week. The average number of beers that I drink in a week is... zero. The average number of non-diet sodas a week that I drink is... zero.

Five beers a week is 875 calories a week or 45,500 calories a year or 13 pounds of fat on your body if you don't burn it off.

Now, I don't particularly like beer so no beers is easy for me. But I LOVE Mountain Dew. The only time I'll allow that is after a road race where I typically burn 3,000 calories or more. I get one 12 ounce can.

If somebody can drink a fair number of beers each week and maintain weight that's great. But if they didn't drink those beers, then maybe they'd be 10 pounds lighter.

You're probably not not wrong, that just doesn't sound like any fun. I know that you train enough that you could afford (metabolically speaking) to crack open a couple brews a week. Choosing not to is your prerogative. From a caloric standpoint, you're assuming the beer is in addition to other intake (as opposed to in lieu of) which may not be the case.

I compete at a reasonably high level. I could maybe be 0.1% better if I didn't have my couple beers per week. The marginal improvement in my athletic performance that would come with the opportunity cost of reduced socialization (due to zero beer consumption) just isn't worth it to me, and I suspect that many in my position feel the same way. I work my dick off every day of the week, and I'm not trading my Thursday night beer for some tiny increase in FTP. I have been the same weight from 16-24--a couple beers per week hasn't turned me into an oopma loompa.

To each their own, now you know where I stand.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Beer [sarboykay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
59 y/o
12X IM
3X KQ
2-3X BEER p/day
0 X Weight Gain

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Beer [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on all accounts. Hell, the beer or two a night is only a small part of my "diet" that isn't the best. If I am really worried about that little bit of extra I would give up my weekly donut during my grocery trip, the twix and reece's PB cups I enjoy. Two years ago I was super strict to the point where I basically had a disorder. If I had a piece of pizza or part of a burger after my salad when we went out I would feel super guilty. I enjoy a beer every now and then and I enjoy indulging in sweets. I do not, and no one does, enjoy being miserable so those little things help keep me sane and enjoying training.

Now when my big races get closer I cut back to maybe one donut a week but I do not think that I would enjoy going 4:10 in a 70.3 if it meant being a bad friend/boyfriend/son because I had no social life or any fun.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next