Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aw man...
Quote | Reply
Background: Okay - so I haven't "trained" in close to 2 years, and have been off the tri bike for at least a year and a half. I had a pretty good 2005 season, but since then it's been zip. Zilch. Nada. Last July I took my Yaqui up to IMC to pre-ride the course, and found that there was no way I could hold the position for more than maybe 20min. I ended up riding the course on the horns, and doing the race on my road bike.

Present: I'm leaving to join jonnyo, BigZach et al in Las Cruces, NM tomorrow for Paulo's training camp. No, I'm not in shape. I'm not even "out of shape" - I don't think there's a word to describe the fall from grace that my physique has seen. But I need to be able to ride my tri bike. So what's a guy to do?

This could get me kicked off ST: I flipped my stem and installed a 3/4" lift kit under the aerobars. Overall I think I went up close to 2" - maybe more. I think I can hold this position. But now my bike looks retarded. I need a large brown paper bag to hide our collective shame. This sucks. I love riding my bike. But I hate having her look so dumb...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures?

Mike

Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [TRIDOC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HELL NO!

you bastard...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly you need to compensate by talking mondo trash at the camp.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For a training camp?

Any chance this "need" you feel has pride as it's source, rather than function?

===========================================================

Not at all. This is one of the only opportunities I'll get this Spring to ride consistently. If I don't ride the tri bike now, there's no way I'll be able to ride it later on in the season. I need to acclimate my body to riding in the aero bars again. I can ride a roadie position all day any day with no specific training - but my neck and lower back need time to get re-accustomed to the tri position.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bringin' the 55. That should help.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can check your new position out in their "wind tunnel" (see the Jonnyo tread about big zach)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the 55, Khai?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I need to ride my bike." Any chance this "need" you feel has pride as it's source, rather than function?
No, you see a guy's pride would not allow him to flip the stem and add risers. Pride, it seems, has left the building. ;-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Mar 9, 07 18:36
Re: Aw man... [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ouch

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be the 55t chainring attached to the very set of Rotor Cranks that none other than the Sergio rode to his 20th place finish at IMH in 2005. There's good mojo in that 55. :)

Really, I need the shoes that the Sergio wore in 2006, and something from Rappstar's bike. I... uh... I don't want jonnyo's speedo. Maybe I'll give it to Jodi if it comes to that...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...fully-lugged steel fame hanging up, just back from the painter, little hearts on the crown....hearts down the side.

...with couplers.

Man.

Did I mention the polished bare lugs? Matching the S and S couplers?

=======================================================================================

SA-WEEET!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took this of you today while you where out trying your new position

I think there is a good 6 inches of spacers ther

Mike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike shoes went 4:45 in Florida and 5 flat in Wisconsin. Let me tell you one thing. It doesn't work that way ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude that's weak. W-E-A-K. You *know* you don't need to ride your tribike or ride aero as much as most people think they do. You just need to ride PERIOD. I plan on riding my road set-up until 6weeks before my 1st halfIM. Peter Reid did it all the time. Folks are so bought into the "do nothing new on race day" mantra (which I do believe BTW) that they think a logical extension is "do nothing new"... EVER.

Don't be a puss. If you need more time to get to the aero position, provided it's a position you know you can hold, once you get some more time in it, then great, work on that for Oliver. But for this camp, fuggedabbouddit, ride w/o aerobars, ride a slack road set-up, ride WETF you want.

You just need the mileage more than you need tri-bike specific mileage.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to be aero at all anyway! You could ride a mountain bike with knobbies, put on an aero helmet backwards, and as long as you used your power cranks and had a big enough engine, you'd be finer than a frog's hair!
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My bike shoes went 4:45 in Florida and 5 flat in Wisconsin. Let me tell you one thing. It doesn't work that way ;-)
b/c u are princess

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with AndyPants - hell, ride your fixie or track bike, but just ride and be comfortable. I mean, there are some pretty fast cyclists there, and if you want to draft/hold their wheel, keep up, whatever, you need to be comfortable. I've done many a tri on a road bike when just coming out of early Spring road racing as it just felt so much better than my tri bike.

Quote | Reply
This could get me kicked off ST: I flipped my stem and installed a 3/4" lift kit under the aerobars. Overall I think I went up close to 2" - maybe more. I think I can hold this position. But now my bike looks retarded. I need a large brown paper bag to hide our collective shame. This sucks. I love riding my bike. But I hate having her look so dumb...

Once again, Khai demonstrates his indominable courage and spirit.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

Good luck at the camp. Are you flying down? Does the airline have "bucket seats"? You know, something that what's left of you after the camp can be poured into for the return flight?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let it go. Just let it go.
I recomend you find a chess or backgammon forum. :-)

It sure would be a hell of alot less painful.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about the neck, babe. Well - a little about the lower back, too - but mostly about the neck. My race position is comfortable if I've been riding down in the bars, but no amount of miles in a roadie position will prepare my neck for 3hrs in the aero bars. I have 2 intense training blocks before Oliver, and not much time outside of those to log some serious miles. Sure I'll continue to ride as I can, but I'll also be without the bike for 6 weeks after the camp - so it's an intense hit, 6 weeks of fixed "upright" riding, another 4 days of low-down hammering, and then the race is a week or two out.

Somewhere in there I'd better hit the pool and maybe run a few times while I'm at it.

But really, Lance was full of it - it's ALL about the bike!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend most of my time riding fixed. But all the miles in the world on any of my non aero bar equipped bikes isn't going to prepare my neck for the strain of holding up my melon for 3hrs when I'm aero. If I don't do this now I'll be sitting up on the basebars come race day.

As far as riding the roadie on race day is concerned, sure - I've done that before. But if I'm going to do that all the time then why even have a tri bike?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Aw man... [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the airline have "bucket seats"? You know, something that what's left of you after the camp can be poured into for the return flight?

===================================

I have 3 water bottles with me. If that isn't enough they can dump the rest of me into an empty CarboPro container and ship it back.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next