Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive
Quote | Reply
10/8/17 - Clayton Shepard, MN, provisionally suspended for potential anti-doping rule violation, anabolic steriods, GW1516 by UCI as a result of testing at the UCI Worlds Masters Track Champioships in LA where he won the Scratch and Points races.
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
10/8/17 - Clayton Shepard, MN, provisionally suspended for potential anti-doping rule violation, anabolic steriods, GW1516 by UCI as a result of testing at the UCI Worlds Masters Track Champioships in LA where he won the Scratch and Points races.

Would love to know what goes through these folks mind to do this for a hobby. I bet a large percentage of older folks use stuff. Oh well, I still would love to be tested!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to know what goes through these folks mind to do this for a hobby.//

Seems a lot of people here have the same problem as you. To start to understand it has to begin with empathy. Perhaps that is the barrier to understanding.
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Seems a lot of people here have the same problem as you. To start to understand it has to begin with empathy. Perhaps that is the barrier to understanding.

Monty... GW1516. For fuck's sake, get your head out of your ass

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Understand the need for empathy. Please provide more details regarding how we should be empathetic regarding Mr. Shepard's drug bust? Did he have a medical reason for using the steroids that we don't know about and he didn't know that he needed to seek a TUE to take the steroids before/during competing in the World Championship?

What percentage of age 50+ athletes do you think purposely break the doping rules, i..e. take a PED even though they know it is against the rules?
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what you are trying to say to me, can you use real sentences and words??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He may be posting from a CB radio...

“Breaker 7-7 this is Po River Po’ Boy comin’ through on the 71. Watch your 6, stay dialed to 23 and take a 171KYE. Come back now”

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please provide more details regarding how we should be empathetic regarding Mr. Shepard's drug bust? //

I think you guys are misunderstanding what empathy means. Dave said he could not understand why someone who just races for ribbons could dope, and my response was first you have to get into their head and feelings. I think many of you are taking empathy to mean I feel sorry for the guy, that is the complete opposite of what I feel for him. But I can get into his head and feelings and understand why old folks take drugs, and it is not just to go faster. In fact going faster is just the byproduct of what they really crave, attention and a feeding of their egos. There are many other reasons for them to dope, but ego and what others now perceive them as are at the top of the list.

I don't feel sorry for the Mf'er at all, he should be gone for life if it were my rules..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ccassidy wrote:

Would love to know what goes through these folks mind to do this for a hobby. I bet a large percentage of older folks use stuff. Oh well, I still would love to be tested!!

My opinion:

This isn't a hobby. A hobby is an enjoyable activity that you do to pass the time. It is an activity unto itself. It is not who you are. It is something you do.

For many, athletics are a lifestyle. It is as much social as it is person.
People define themselves by their performance, by their results.
Do well in a race; everyone loves you. Teammates, friends, family.
High-fives, smiles, beers. The man or woman of the hour.

Respect.

That's addicting.

For many people it determines their self-worth.

This is many people involved in sports.
Not just running, cycling, triathlon.

For some those benefits are worth the risk. Just as is insider trading.

Just as is most of the poor decisions that people make.

We all make poor decisions.
Some are worse than others.
Some are more public than others.

This is our country.

Maybe our world?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had never heard of that chemical before. Reading the makers definition of the drugs side effects in trials - it sounds like a terrible cancer risk. Most of these kinds of drugs sound bad but this one is crazy.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Please provide more details regarding how we should be empathetic regarding Mr. Shepard's drug bust? //

I think you guys are misunderstanding what empathy means. Dave said he could not understand why someone who just races for ribbons could dope, and my response was first you have to get into their head and feelings. I think many of you are taking empathy to mean I feel sorry for the guy, that is the complete opposite of what I feel for him. But I can get into his head and feelings and understand why old folks take drugs, and it is not just to go faster. In fact going faster is just the byproduct of what they really crave, attention and a feeding of their egos. There are many other reasons for them to dope, but ego and what others now perceive them as are at the top of the list.

I don't feel sorry for the Mf'er at all, he should be gone for life if it were my rules..

Man, we sure have totally different thoughts of what getting old means, and we are the same age.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think many of you are taking empathy to mean I feel sorry for the guy, that is the complete opposite of what I feel for him. But I can get into his head and feelings and understand why old folks take drugs, and it is not just to go faster. In fact going faster is just the byproduct of what they really crave, attention and a feeding of their egos. There are many other reasons for them to dope, but ego and what others now perceive them as are at the top of the list.

I see what you did there.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
I had never heard of that chemical before. Reading the makers definition of the drugs side effects in trials - it sounds like a terrible cancer risk. Most of these kinds of drugs sound bad but this one is crazy.

I happened to meet the guy who invented it... his initials are GW. From Wikipedia:

GW501516 (also known as GW-501,516, GW1516, GSK-516 and on the black market as Endurobol[1]) is a PPARδ receptor agonist that was invented in a collaboration between Ligand Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline in the 1990s, was entered into clinical development as a drug candidate for metabolic diseases and cardiovascular diseases, and was abandoned in 2007 because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.[2]

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the drug of choice is not just something u get from your doctor that other non racing people are getting to give em a little boost in everyday old old stuff. The old idea of there are things at GNC and esp at the docs office that get prescribed all the time that can cause a popped test. This stuff looks to be specifically sought out to increase racing performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, we sure have totally different thoughts of what getting old means, and we are the same age. //

Please Dave tell me what your thoughts on getting old are, and how they differ from mine. And please try not to be cryptic in your answers, use easy words and sentences, I'm slow to understand sometimes..

Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I read that.

It goes on to say "rapid cancer growth found in many organs" and then lists just about every organ.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see what you did there. //

Finally, thank you....(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understand. Thanks for explaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the drug of choice is not just something u get from your doctor that other non racing people are getting to give em a little boost in everyday old old stuff. The old idea of there are things at GNC and esp at the docs office that get prescribed all the time that can cause a popped test. This stuff looks to be specifically sought out to increase racing performance. //

Ive read this 3 times now and still I cannot see what point you are trying to make. Are you for old people taking drugs and racing if the doc prescribes them, against it, I really cannot tell..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I happened to meet the guy who invented it... his initials are GW. From Wikipedia:

GW501516 (also known as GW-501,516, GW1516, GSK-516 and on the black market as Endurobol[1]) is a PPARδ receptor agonist that was invented in a collaboration between Ligand Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline in the 1990s, was entered into clinical development as a drug candidate for metabolic diseases and cardiovascular diseases, and was abandoned in 2007 because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.[2]

Not to play devil's advocate but... https://www.evolutionary.org/...516-cardarine-cancer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a little moot after your post on empathy definition which cleared things up. Empathy is slowly becoming like the word "literally" where common usage is usurping the real definition.

Anyway, I "feel sorry" for the ignorant and non malicious dopers versus this guys type of doping. Then again this guy might not think he is hurting anyone by doping so I see the empathy difference.

I am for big penalties either way though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you use steroids immediately prior to a world championship race?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Man, we sure have totally different thoughts of what getting old means, and we are the same age. //

Please Dave tell me what your thoughts on getting old are, and how they differ from mine. And please try not to be cryptic in your answers, use easy words and sentences, I'm slow to understand sometimes..

For me, after my mom died 2 years ago from ALS, I really understand how short life is! I REALLY understand that on my death bed ALL that will matter is family.
Not what job I had. Not what race results I had, but family.

Everyday I get up asking what can I do to help others. How can I try to pass on my wisdom and experience to others on the mistakes I made in life when I was younger and
thought nothing about tact, etc.

So maybe for some older folks they have egos and want to be rewarded by others. As usual, I guess I am the odd man out. I really really could care less any longer what others
think about me. What is important is can I look at myself in the mirror and know I walked my talk. Can I look at my grandkids and have them know I did the best I could. That I never cheated. That I never tried to get a promotion so I could get a big name on a business card. That I never worried about trying to drive some big expensive car to try to impress others.

Bottom line, is I do not spend time on social media attacking others!!!!!!

Oh well, as you know, and many have posted, I am just an idiot. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Another 60+ racer, Clayton Shepard, tests positive [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a little moot after your post on empathy definition which cleared things up. ////

Ok got it. And I agree that a lot of the old people doping just do not realize it. I don't really feel sorry for them, not sure what I feel exactly? But it just underscores that a lot more education out there is needed on the subject.

And I'm kind of proud of this forum because it is probably the number one place where education is actually promoted. Countless folks have come on here defending their doctors prescriptions of T, HGH, Epo and other drugs as just a normal thing and no big deal. And for each that actually was brave(or naive) enough to post this stuff up, there are 100's of lurkers in the same boat reading. I think those threads have been very eye opening to those people that read them, and thus you don't see it much anymore.

Probably just put into the closet, but at least a lot of people know what they are doing is wrong and illegal at the very least, that is a start..
Last edited by: monty: Dec 9, 17 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I REALLY understand that on my death bed ALL that will matter is family.
Not what job I had. Not what race results I had, but family. //

I knew it, we agree totally on what really matters, at least on our death beds. And I have never called you an idiot Dave, and in this thread I just pointed out that some people have a hard time imagining why old folks dope because they cannot get into their heads. That is not a knock on you or anyone else, just how it is. But sometimes it does spark a thought in those folks that oh, now I get it. You don't have to be that way, to understand that others have those desires and feelings. I think that is where people get crossed up sometimes, thats all.

Hope you are enjoying the holidays, I know you have lots of young kids around you as I do, it is a very special time for them and us. And as soon as Dan and I can get a 5 week bloc of training in without any obstacles(which seems almost an impossibility these days) you will see us at the start line of some race. No more planning races, just get that minimal amount of training in and I will find the very next race within driving distance and be there. (-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next