Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowardlydragon wrote:
konaexpress wrote:
6 of the 7 days before the race day time highs of 80+. If the water is 74 now, it will definitely be above 76 race day.

There are many many ways that race directors can get a magic 75.9 reading...

IMWI is famous for tying the thermometer to a 40 lb block of ice and sinking it to bottom of Lake Monona ...

Of course you actually do need a wetsuit for IMWI because of all the snakes.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I just checked the forecast and I see no way of it hitting 76 with the overnight lows in the low 50s leading into the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlacidPirate:

Can you (if it's convenient) shoot out a temperature read every day until next week?

That would be very cool.

-mm

-Michael Myette
Racing for RocklinEnduranceSports Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [mmyette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure i can do that...I'm away from town for the weekend but should be back Monday...
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [mmyette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay gang...five minutes ago (5:00) temp. was a shave under 76...warm next few days then looks line a temp drop...
Pack swim skin if have it!
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlacidPirate wrote:
Okay gang...five minutes ago (5:00) temp. was a shave under 76...warm next few days then looks line a temp drop...

Can you run by Boulder Reservoir a couple of times?
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
PlacidPirate wrote:

Can you run by Boulder Reservoir a couple of times?

https://www.facebook.com/IronmanBoulder?fref=nf

Looks like they've done that for you already.

Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam it without a wetsuit Saturday and was chilled for an hour after getting out. Lifeguard said temp was 74F Don't know if this is valid, but my guess is wetsuit legal on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the winter we've had no way in hell that water is anywhere near warm enough to ban the suits
Real question is will you be racing in rain all day similar to that shitshow 6 years ago

Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [mharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mharris wrote:
Swam it without a wetsuit Saturday and was chilled for an hour after getting out. Lifeguard said temp was 74F Don't know if this is valid, but my guess is wetsuit legal on race day.

My thought when I first saw the video was that they're putting this out there just in case...people want to know the details of the race. I've lived here for five years and raced in the Res probably 30 times and not once has a race been non-wetsuit - and we've had summers hotter than this year. Was actually thinking before I clicked on this thread why there wasn't a Boulder Res water temp freak out thread.

Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [mharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mharris wrote:

I swam a loop in just a speedo yesterday and was fine...again as I mentioned it was just a shave under 76 at 5 in afternoon...
My guess reading right now is more like74....
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
After the winter we've had no way in hell that water is anywhere near warm enough to ban the suits
Real question is will you be racing in rain all day similar to that shitshow 6 years ago

^^^This^^^

Saw a 40% chance of rain on Sunday. 30% chance in '08. Monsoon ensued. Epic race conditions. Still say it was worse for the spectators. I suggest you all plan on wearing your wetsuits for the swim. And perhaps the bike and run!
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
shady wrote:

^^^This^^^

Saw a 40% chance of rain on Sunday. 30% chance in '08. Monsoon ensued. Epic race conditions. Still say it was worse for the spectators. I suggest you all plan on wearing your wetsuits for the swim. And perhaps the bike and run!

Latest forecast -as of Wedneday morning 11am - is 100% P.O.P with 35 mm of rain.!!
Soo..yeah ..starting to have that 2008 feel to it. I was spectating that year and was miserable experience.
Was planning on heading up this weekend for some training and spectating but phuck that shit. Unless things change when I check the forecast this Friday evening I aint getting in the car Saturday morning. Too bad...was looking forward to it.
Good luck to all the racers and carefull down the Keene descents on Sunday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
...Real question is will you be racing in rain all day similar to that shitshow 6 years ago.

Oh joy. Last time I did it was 2008.

Hope its not the soggy day it was back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what forecasts you guys are looking at, but Accuweather shows mid-70s, mostly sunny all wknd, with a chance of t-stroms Sunday afternoon. Sounds no worse than last year. No idea how any of you are equating this year to '08 unless there's a massive change in the forecast.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devrock wrote:
I have no idea what forecasts you guys are looking at, but Accuweather shows mid-70s, mostly sunny all wknd, with a chance of t-stroms Sunday afternoon. Sounds no worse than last year. No idea how any of you are equating this year to '08 unless there's a massive change in the forecast.

Hmm..
This is what I am getting from weather network..?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/...new-york/lake-placid

Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devrock wrote:

yeah ...
so just looked at accuweather and you are right....they are calling sunny with possibleTS
Over at Weather net ...cloudy/showers and 35 mm accumulation. No mention of sun

WTF!!!
Now i gots to pick which forecast to base my weekend plans on ::))

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about an hour from LP and it's POURING right now. The forecast for today looked very much like what they're forecasting for Sunday. That said, it's only been pouring for about 10 minutes and I suspect it will be over in another 10. Very typical summer ADK weather. If you get wet on Sunday...you'll get soaked...but not by an all day washout. It'll be quick and as long as you stay upright it may even be refreshing.

I'll be over there spectating:) Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devrock wrote:

uh, that's EXACTLY what the forecast was in 2008. The morning of the race!

Point being, you never know up there. Not like it matters, it's just weather.

Mostly getting a kick out of seeing everyone stress over something they have no control over.
Not like I did that //pink
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jul 23, 14 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kollac wrote:
I'm about an hour from LP and it's POURING right now. The forecast for today looked very much like what they're forecasting for Sunday. That said, it's only been pouring for about 10 minutes and I suspect it will be over in another 10. Very typical summer ADK weather. If you get wet on Sunday...you'll get soaked...but not by an all day washout. It'll be quick and as long as you stay upright it may even be refreshing.

I'll be over there spectating:) Good luck!

There is a cold front moving throughout he northeast today and tonight, which is clearing out all of this heat and humidity. Down here in CT, we should be getting dumped on tonight. After this, it's supposed to be relatively dry and cooler, which would not indicate much in the way of storms this wknd. In fact, every forecast I've seen here and for LP calls for pretty damn nice weather all wknd.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Point being, you never know up there. Not like it matters, it's just weather.

Mostly getting a kick out of seeing everyone stress over something they have no control over.
Not like I did that //pink

The weather only matters to those that haven't trained in it.

Besides, stressing over weather forecasts in the ADKs is a total waste of energy. You can be standing outside beneath blue skies and brilliant sunshine, while logically questioning whether or not it will be raining ten minutes from now.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
Okay it is that time again where us non-pure swimmers begin to freak out over the water temperature. So let's get this thing started. .I read on FB current temperature if 72, but we need definite confirmation.

When they declare it's a non-wetsuit race, it pertains to awards and staying Kona eligible. 90% of the 2500 will still be wearing suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run most of my Iron distance races in pretty intense heat (Los Cabos '13, '14, Texas '12, Louisville '12) with the two exceptions being Arizona in '11 and '13. I'm looking forward to a race with temperatures this……mild. Yeah, it'll hurt the descents, if the course is soaked, but a virtual guarantee of no overheating for this 6' #180 triathlete is going to be a welcome change. I prefer this to Sunny, humid, and 88!

-Michael Myette
Racing for RocklinEnduranceSports Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PlacidPirate wrote:
mharris wrote:

I swam a loop in just a speedo yesterday and was fine...again as I mentioned it was just a shave under 76 at 5 in afternoon...
My guess reading right now is more like74....

Off topic but maybe you can inform. I swam the course counterclockwise Friday and almost had a 'head on'. Swam it clockwise Saturday and did! What's proper etiquette these days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam today and did the loop clockwise with everyone else and had no problem! Just make sure you still sight every once in awhile just in case, a few people said they ran into some people earlier today!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next