Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump
Quote | Reply
At home from work with food poisoning (great way to get to race weight!), and watching the Commonwealth Games Triathlon, cycling etc. During the coverage of the cycling, they have a background piece on Aussie track cycling legend Anna Meares where it shows her doing an insane box jump - check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg
Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Jul 24, 14 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:
At home from work with food poisoning (great way to get to race weight!), and watching the Commonwealth Games Triathlon, cycling etc. During the coverage of the cycling, they have a background piece on Aussie track cycling legend Anna Meares where it shows her doing an insane box jump - check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg
Uh yeah. No fast twitch muscle there. Insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She killed the 500m TT this week. Sub 19 opening lap!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfl2AcIbKF4

Just got demolished by a crossfitter :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:

She's 165 cm, or 5'5", and she jumps 110 cm, or 3'7.3", so she could prob dunk a B-ball, despite being only 5'5":)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On top of being a spectacularly inspiring athlete, she also comes across as incredibly gracious and and a top chick.

Love, love, love this pic of her and really glad I've been able to see her in action a couple of times at the track.

Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On top of being a spectacularly inspiring athlete, she also comes across as incredibly gracious and and a top chick. Love, love, love this pic of her and really glad I've been able to see her in action a couple of times at the track.

Ah, so she's the girl from that picture, I've seen it several times but never caught the name of the girl:) On a completely unrelated note, how's your swimming going???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
On top of being a spectacularly inspiring athlete, she also comes across as incredibly gracious and and a top chick. Love, love, love this pic of her and really glad I've been able to see her in action a couple of times at the track.

Ah, so she's the girl from that picture, I've seen it several times but never caught the name of the girl:) On a completely unrelated note, how's your swimming going???

Swimming is going really well!

I picked up on the 'narrow corridor' visualisation from a Swim Smooth blog a little while back and it seems to have helped get a lot more out of my stroke. I'm also working on not rushing to the other end of the pool but relaxing and working with the water I'm in as if I'm floating stationary - taking the time to get my hands into a better place for a better catch and trying to make each stroke as good as it could be.

I also think I'm starting to get a much better connection with the water over my legs and feet - I often think of what you say about the feel of the water over your whole body, and have more times when it feels like it's happening:-)

My pace is picking up but I'm also really happy that I'm getting a lot more consistent and holding my form together for a lot longer - and I do 100 IMs most sessions, just because I can.

Not quite a fish, but I might be growing a few scales!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Swimming is going really well!

I picked up on the 'narrow corridor' visualization from a Swim Smooth blog a little while back and it seems to have helped get a lot more out of my stroke. I'm also working on not rushing to the other end of the pool but relaxing and working with the water I'm in as if I'm floating stationary - taking the time to get my hands into a better place for a better catch and trying to make each stroke as good as it could be.
I also think I'm starting to get a much better connection with the water over my legs and feet - I often think of what you say about the feel of the water over your whole body, and have more times when it feels like it's happening:-)

My pace is picking up but I'm also really happy that I'm getting a lot more consistent and holding my form together for a lot longer - and I do 100 IMs most sessions, just because I can.
Not quite a fish, but I might be growing a few scales!!

Very, very nice, sounds like you are making great progress!!! There are so many aspects to swimming to work on but getting the feel for the water over your whole body is by far the most crucial, and it sounds like you are getting there!!! Keep on working at it and you'll be doing sets of 400 IMs long course before you know it!!!

Cheers,

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess she banged her shins a few times, based on the body armour in the gym. Holy crap.

Imagine how high she could jump if she saw a spider!

Pink of course ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if I'd need the shin guards - reckon I'd clear 1 ft. So it's true that white men can't jump - but white girls obviously can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

She's 165 cm, or 5'5", and she jumps 110 cm, or 3'7.3", so she could prob dunk a B-ball, despite being only 5'5":)

No, it doesn't quite work that way. Box jumping isn't interchangeable with vertical leap. What you will notice is her extreme hip flexibility allows her feet to reach the top of the box. There is no chance she could come close to touching the rim.

Nonetheless it is still very impressive : )
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [jacobpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacobpdx wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

No, it doesn't quite work that way. Box jumping isn't interchangeable with vertical leap. What you will notice is her extreme hip flexibility allows her feet to reach the top of the box. There is no chance she could come close to touching the rim.

You are correct. They are not related. I've seen guys that can dunk and not box jump for shit, and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jacobpdx wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

No, it doesn't quite work that way. Box jumping isn't interchangeable with vertical leap. What you will notice is her extreme hip flexibility allows her feet to reach the top of the box. There is no chance she could come close to touching the rim. Nonetheless it is still very impressive:)

OK, I stand corrected then. Do you think the super hip flex helps in cycling???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No her hips only went up about 24 inches her feet went 110 cm so she is very far away from dunking very far.

Box jumps are more about timing the feet to get up near the hip at the box then actual vertical height distance.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

OK, I stand corrected then. Do you think the super hip flex helps in cycling???

No idea, but I wish I had some of hers, my hips are tight as heck and painful : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive jump! Music, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
jacobpdx wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

You are correct. They are not related. I've seen guys that can dunk and not box jump for shit, and vice versa.

So, what is the purpose of box jumping per se??? Why not just jump straight up as hard as you can???

Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Uh yeah. No fast twitch muscle there. Insane.

This is my favorite self-deprecating tri-joke to tell:

Me: "Hey! Wanna see a triathlete jump?!!!"
Them: "OK, Sure!!!"

< just stand there >

Me: "Wanna see it again?!!!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jacobpdx wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

No way is her VJ even upper 20's based upon that jump. Still impressive, but 43" inches isn't exactly extraordinary for a woman.
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfl2AcIbKF4

Just got demolished by a crossfitter :)

Not quite sure what you meant by that statement. :-) Care to clarify?
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
No way is her VJ ...

Her WHAT???!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
jacobpdx wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

So, what is the purpose of box jumping per se??? Why not just jump straight up as hard as you can???

Because it gives you a tangible level to aim for. Also makes it a lot easier to measure progress; how exactly do you measure how high you are jumping otherwise (have someone stand next to you and eye it with a yard stick?). Once you get to 60", then it is really impressive (at least for a man).
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>Box jumps are more about timing the feet to get up near the hip at the box then actual vertical height distance.

I'd argue the biggest difference vs vertical leap is about keeping your upper body very low so the rise in center of mass is minimized.

If you pause at about 13", you can she's very good about compressing her whole body to the center of mass only has to go just about the box.

However that same pause also shows her entire body mass is about the surface of the box, and.....really freaking high. I'd put money on her being able to tap the a basketball rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Anna Meares cycling legend - box jump [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
stop2think wrote:
No way is her VJ ...

Her WHAT???!!!

Just in case some people are horrible spellers of female body parts or unfamiliar with standard athletic performance metrics, I meant vertical jump.
Quote Reply

Prev Next