Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that update. Interesting stuff.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
trimick wrote:
The law is very clear someone can ride a bike on the road. Period end of story.

The law is also very clear that you cannot operate a vehicle on the roads in a manner that will endanger other vehicles using the road.

If I am in a car doing 15-20 miles an hour in a 45+ zone, I am just as eligible to be cited for impeding traffic and being a danger to others by making them go around me.

That's what she was cited for, and ultimately arrested since she kept doing the same thing over and over.

John

Yep. I'm sure that road has a minimum speed. If she was not able to achieve and maintain this minimum speed then she is in violation and could be cited for impeding traffic.

She needs to HTFU and get her speed up if she wants to ride down the center of the lane.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
Devlin wrote:
trimick wrote:
The law is very clear someone can ride a bike on the road. Period end of story.

The law is also very clear that you cannot operate a vehicle on the roads in a manner that will endanger other vehicles using the road.

If I am in a car doing 15-20 miles an hour in a 45+ zone, I am just as eligible to be cited for impeding traffic and being a danger to others by making them go around me.

That's what she was cited for, and ultimately arrested since she kept doing the same thing over and over.

John

Yep. I'm sure that road has a minimum speed. If she was not able to achieve and maintain this minimum speed then she is in violation and could be cited for impeding traffic.

She needs to HTFU and get her speed up if she wants to ride down the center of the lane.

That road doesn't have a minimum speed limit, so there is no way that anyone in a car would get ticketed for driving 15-20 mph on that road. My uncle used to live off that road and I used to always seem farm machinery and horse trailers going well under the speed limit, 25-30, and I don't know of a single one of them that has gotten a ticket. This is a case of the police not liking what she is doing and making up stuff to try to stop her and this one judge decided to go with it. The police and judge should be held accountable for their actions and face disciplinary actions. There is nothing wrong with what she is doing. It isn't against the law and this case should get overturned on appeal.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

She is breaking the law.
Violating the judges order.
And screwing all of us Central Kentucky bike riders by riding like a psycho bitch.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [alanhawse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky woman, she shines with her own kind of light
Look at you once in a day, that's all wrong, looks alright
And I love her, God knows I love her

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

She ain't the kind, make heads turn at the drop of her name
But somethin' inside that she's got turns you on just the same
And she loves me, God knows she loves me

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Don't want much, good Lord's earth beneath my feet
Gentle touch from that one girl and life is sweet and good
Ain't no doubt talkin' about

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
Kentucky woman
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God help us we live in the most beautiful place on earth. No doubt.
The best place on the face of the planet to ride bikes.

But there are some hostile fuck-head rednecks out there...

My wife has been run off the road twice.

So... we really dont need people like her pissing em off. Just not helpful.

Even if I agree with her.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
That road doesn't have a minimum speed limit, so there is no way that anyone in a car would get ticketed for driving 15-20 mph on that road. My uncle used to live off that road and I used to always seem farm machinery and horse trailers going well under the speed limit, 25-30, and I don't know of a single one of them that has gotten a ticket. This is a case of the police not liking what she is doing and making up stuff to try to stop her and this one judge decided to go with it. The police and judge should be held accountable for their actions and face disciplinary actions. There is nothing wrong with what she is doing. It isn't against the law and this case should get overturned on appeal.
I do believe that if driving that speed were not a problem there would be millions of pensioners who could reapply for their confiscated drivers licence.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Sep 18, 14 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/...-on-a-bike.html?_r=0

Ride in the bike lane for safety?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [alanhawse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alanhawse wrote:

She is breaking the law.
And screwing all of us Central Kentucky bike riders by riding like a psycho bitch.

Again she isn't breaking any law. She is well within her rights to ride a bike on that road.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
alanhawse wrote:

She is breaking the law.

Again she isn't breaking any law. She is well within her rights to ride a bike on that road.

and again...the judge disagrees with you. Since it is the judge's opinion that matters, she was apparently breaking the law. If you doubt that, I am sure she will be glad to verify this from her prison cell. If you doubt this still, feel free to test out your theory, and follow her daily route the same dipshit way she rode it and see if you look good in orange. Seriously, people, car v. bike does not go well for bike. Why on earth would you even try to assert your "rights" in a hostile environment.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/...-on-a-bike.html?_r=0

Ride in the bike lane for safety?

-Robert

If you're insinuating that it's somehow more safe to ride outside the bike lane, in the middle of the road, I think that's a stretch. I recall a tragedy before 70.3 New Orleans this year where a cyclist was killed while riding legally because the vehicle driver apparently "just didn't see them."
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
trimick wrote:
alanhawse wrote:

She is breaking the law.

and again...the judge disagrees with you. Since it is the judge's opinion that matters, she was apparently breaking the law. If you doubt that, I am sure she will be glad to verify this from her prison cell. If you doubt this still, feel free to test out your theory, and follow her daily route the same dipshit way she rode it and see if you look good in orange. Seriously, people, car v. bike does not go well for bike. Why on earth would you even try to assert your "rights" in a hostile environment.

Again I have talked with actual lawyers and judges in Kentucky and every single one of them have said that this particular judge got it wrong and there is nothing wrong with what this lady is doing. I will take their word on this matter. Also what law is she breaking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the decision is bone-headed and the product of a mental disease or defect, known as "red neck syndrome". It's widespread and has been known to infect Americans across the ideological and cultural spectrums. No cure in sight....

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is bicycling getting safer?
The 6.4 percent increase in fatalities from 2011 to 2012 does not sound hopeful, but without knowing how many people are riding and how far they are riding, there's no way of knowing whether the drop in crashes is because conditions are actually safer, more people are bicycling, or they're bicycling in different locations.
In 1994, the U.S. Department of Transportation adopted a policy of doubling the percentage of trips made by bicycling and walking while simultaneously reducing by 10 percent the number of bicyclists and pedestrians injured in traffic crashes. The goals are to be pursued together—one cannot or should not be achieved at the expense of the other goal. Experience from many European countries suggests that increasing levels of bicycling can be done without increasing crash rates, and that strength in numbers can yield safety benefits.
Who is getting killed in bicycling crashes?
A detailed breakdown of the age, gender, and location of bicycle crash victims is available from The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Some of the more noteworthy trends and numbers are:
  • In 2012, the average age of bicyclists killed in crashes with motor vehicles was 43 years old, up from 32 in 1998, and 24 in 1988.
  • 88 percent of those killed were male.
  • 69 percent of bicyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas.
  • 30 percent of bicyclist fatalities occurred between 4:00 p.m. and 7:59 p.m.
  • 24 percnet of bicyclists killed had blood alcohol concentrations of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
Causes of injury
According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars."

Found here: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/.../factsheet_crash.cfm

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
Again I have talked with actual lawyers and judges in Kentucky and every single one of them have said that this particular judge got it wrong and there is nothing wrong with what this lady is doing. I will take their word on this matter. Also what law is she breaking?

You're as stubborn as she is.

Let me make this pretty clear for you: as it sits right now, she broke the law. She was found guilty by a Judge. All of the people that you have spoken to have provided you their opinion. Their opinion has no value. The only one that has any value is the opinion of the judge who found her guilty.

As I read it, she was found guilty on Friday after a 9 hour trial:

http://www.kentucky.com/...holasville.html?rh=1

http://www.wkyt.com/...1.html?device=tablet

She was arrested on Wednesday for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the exact same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

While I applaud her efforts at changing the laws for cyclists in Kentucky, she's going about it the wrong way unless she believes that martyrdom will force the changes that she wants. (Hint: it won't).

I get it, you believe that she didn't break the law. You've spoken with people who share your opinion. If you take all of those opinions and add them up together you still have nothing. Let us know the results of her appeal.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
trimick wrote:

You're as stubborn as she is.

Let me make this pretty clear for you: as it sits right now, she broke the law. She was found guilty by a Judge. All of the people that you have spoken to have provided you their opinion. Their opinion has no value. The only one that has any value is the opinion of the judge who found her guilty.

As I read it, she was found guilty on Friday after a 9 hour trial:

http://www.kentucky.com/...holasville.html?rh=1

http://www.wkyt.com/...1.html?device=tablet

She was arrested on Wednesday for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the exact same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

While I applaud her efforts at changing the laws for cyclists in Kentucky, she's going about it the wrong way unless she believes that martyrdom will force the changes that she wants. (Hint: it won't).

I get it, you believe that she didn't break the law. You've spoken with people who share your opinion. If you take all of those opinions and add them up together you still have nothing. Let us know the results of her appeal.

You see she doesn't have to change the laws in Kentucky because they already allow what she is doing. There is no law that says a person can't ride on this road. Period end of story. The fact that the judge made this ruling is a joke. It basically says that any cop can write a ticket to any cyclist that he wants to at anytime.
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm that insanity def you gave, it applies to trying to communicate to the other poster :o )
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Umm that insanity def you gave, it applies to trying to communicate to the other poster :o )

Point taken :-p

I looked at some related websites and it's like looking at a cycling-related militant version of the flat Earth society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:

You see, but you don't understand.

Here's some of the criteria:
Quote:
The elements of the violation are:
  1. You drove at a speed "less than the normal speed of traffic," and
  2. You didn't drive "as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb."

I've seen tractors, etc., doing this. Every time I've seen them they are as far right as they can get, and have large orange triangles and other "Hey, see me over here in this 5 ton tractor!" paraphernalia.

Oh, and most places don't have a minimum speed limit unless it's posted (Such as limit 70, minimum 40 on some interstates), but it doesn't mean that you can't still be ticketed for it.

And you can talk to all the lawyers and judges you want. I can walk out and find just as many lawyers and judges that would agree with the decision.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
Kentucky woman

Why isn't anyone showing appreciation for my reference here? Come on! This is my best material. Neil Diamond??? This is a great song, by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ool28EXGiAU

maybe this will help
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
trimick wrote:

You see, but you don't understand.

Here's some of the criteria:
Quote:

The elements of the violation are:
  1. You drove at a speed "less than the normal speed of traffic," and
  2. You didn't drive "as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb."

I've seen tractors, etc., doing this. Every time I've seen them they are as far right as they can get, and have large orange triangles and other "Hey, see me over here in this 5 ton tractor!" paraphernalia.

Oh, and most places don't have a minimum speed limit unless it's posted (Such as limit 70, minimum 40 on some interstates), but it doesn't mean that you can't still be ticketed for it.

And you can talk to all the lawyers and judges you want. I can walk out and find just as many lawyers and judges that would agree with the decision.

John

I understand the law perfectly. There is no law that a cyclist has to ride at the speed of traffic, if there was almost every cyclist would get a ticket since most of the roads I ride on have speed limits of at least 35 mph. Again I have never in my life seen a piece of farm machinery or slow moving truck ticketed and a lot of the time they are moving slower than me on my bike. I have passed them before with massive lines of cars behind them and never once seen one get a ticket. Based on this ruling every piece of slow moving farm machinery should also get a ticket. Why is that?

The law says you should ride as close as is safe to the edge of the road. That is what the practical means in that sentence. If it isn't safe for me to ride on the shoulder or on the white line, which in this case it isn't since the shoulder starts and stops, you don't have to. Again that is the law.

This lady isn't breaking any laws.

Are those judges and lawyers practicing law in Kentucky?

Since I live in Louisville this ruling could potentially effect me and how I ride, so I care about the outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
She get to know you
She goin' to own you
Kentucky woman

Kentucky woman
Kentucky woman

Why isn't anyone showing appreciation for my reference here? Come on! This is my best material. Neil Diamond??? This is a great song, by the way.

Oh oh oh.....(Red Sox fans will get that)
Quote Reply
Re: A Kentucky woman, Cherokee Schill, Is Currently In Jail For Riding Her Bicycle In The Travel Lane. [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get that reference. Not a Red Socks fan. Help me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than the cyclist, who can say the cyclist is not riding as close to the ride hand side as practical? Sure, if the cyclist is riding in the left hand lane she probably isn't obeying the law, but in this case she is only over to the left about 3-4 feet. Why? Because if she moves over that truck behind her will push her into the shoulder as he tries to squeeze by and there may be trash, bad road, high winds, etc. So, who gets to make the judgment call and how can anyone who wasn't there at the exact moment make the call? This seems to be a serious evidentiary question that I haven't seen addressed, though it may have been addressed at trial. In my experience, triers of fact are divided into those who hate cyclists on the road, those who don't care, and people who realize that cyclists are one less car and are entitled to be there, such as other cyclists. Decisions are rendered accordingly. America is quite backward regarding bikes, compared to the Europeans, IMHO. I've ridden in Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Wales, and extensively in England. Even the English, with their many narrow roads are generally quite tolerant of cyclists.

-Robert

Quote Reply

Prev Next