Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless
Quote | Reply
Anyone else finding the new 7.10 fw update for 920XT useless for pool swims now? Previously in a 1600m pool swim 6.20 fw missed maybe 3 lengths, now with 7.10 fw it missed about 15!
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you hitting laps each time you stop? If not then no matter what it will be off. It does not sound like it since you did 1600. Just make sure every time you stop you hit the lap button and then hit again to start
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
Are you hitting laps each time you stop? If not then no matter what it will be off. It does not sound like it since you did 1600. Just make sure every time you stop you hit the lap button and then hit again to start

Yes, always hit lap after each lap. Did two swims of 10x50, 5x100, 10x50, one with 6.20 fw and the other with 7.10 fw. The 7.10 fw as above missed about 15 lengths. Sometimes one length per lap, others two lengths per lap. Nothing else changed between the swims, same stroke type and push off's. Only thing to change was watch fw!
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do flip turns?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is weird. Have you called Garmin they are super cool and have great customer service. If the initial people don't seem like they know what is going on try a supervisor
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Ambit 3 and it works surprisingly well. Do you have to "learn" each of your strokes on the Garmin? If so, maybe after the update you need to relearn it. I know if I take a very long streamline off the wall, it will think I stopped. Also if on a longer swim I pause at all, it will add a lap. Other that not being very precise with lap splits because of the lag to decide if I stopped or flipped, it's pretty well dialed in. A clock still works best for pool swimming overall with intervals IMO, unless you use a countdown interval timer.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only had one short swim on the new firmware but no issues yet. 1500m in a 25m pool, no lengths missed, all metrics look good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you verify you are using the correct pool size?
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, checked the pool size prior to swimming with updated fw.

Ive opened a ticket with support and also have reset the watch. Hopefully tomorrows swim with 7.10 will be much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same problems. Lots of missed laps. The best advice is to focus on a good streamline off each wall and wear the watch on the opposite arm you start your stroke with. Regardless of focusing on that when I pick up my pace it always miscounts.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [Jrossi2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a club pool swim last night in which few had a 920XT on 7.10 fw, some had issues, some did not. My watch missed 19x 25m lengths from 1900m. Previously in this pool and same kind of sets it would only miss maybe 2 lengths with previous fw. Nothing else has changed, same stroke, same push off the wall, watch on same arm.

I'm going to throw on the 6.26 beta fw and see whats that like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah mine missed 9 out of 120 lengths in my 3000m swim on Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just updated this morning, and the watch missed a length for the first time I've used it since November. It also mis-classified my freestyle as breaststroke.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I just updated this morning, and the watch missed a length for the first time I've used it since November. It also mis-classified my freestyle as breaststroke.

Haha, maybe your stroke..... needs some work?
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is losing in open water. Me and a friend swam 1000yd Sunday, mine recorded 1003 and his recorded 1063, I beat him there by 2 mins and he had a faster time? That's twice its happened. seems to do the same thing in the pool, my times are off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered what was up with mine. At one point this morning, I counted 2,450 SCY on the board and my 920XT showed 1,975.

Great update, huh? It was always really accurate, before.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have obviously changed something. It is crazy at this point in the development cycle that they are introducing issues, it has been incredibly stable for a long time. I guess I am lucky or maybe I just swim in a way that it is not exposing the issue, but I have had two swims on the new firmware and haven't missed anything yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my 920XT since Dec 2015 it's currently on 6.2 and it hasn't missed a length yet.

I don't plan on updating until they fix this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have it set with the rest interval timer? I have the Garmin Swim but I know I have to hit the lap button twice between intervals, once to "stop" and initiate the rest interval, and another to "start" the next interval.

That is probably a stupid suggestion, sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting! Im using the 910 and its been very reliable for the 4 years until the past couple days where it started missing laps. I havent updated the FW so not sure what happened.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [cannedham1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I lost 450M on my last 4k swim with the new firmware as well. Previous on 6.20 it was rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 or 3 pool swims with 7.1. No missed laps. No problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed 25 meters on my swim tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine just froze twice in the same workout. First time it happens. Will try to rollback to 6.26 or upgrade to 8.03 beta
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT 7.10 fw pool swim distance algorithm is useless [ironMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems at all with mine with Software: 7.10.0.0

jaretj
Quote Reply

Prev Next