Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelcox wrote:
Anybody care to comment on the Shiv Sport? At a MSRP of $2200 it looks like a decent enough entry level bike (if it fits), even though it's an old frame and 10-speed Tiagra. A IA16 and P2 seem to be the logical next step up, but retail for quite a bit more.

I have a buddy who just ordered this. His LBS gave him full retail credit from take-off components plus a discount on additional gear in the shop. He used the credit and the discount to apply toward Ultregra cassette, derailurs and shifters. I think all in, he ended up at about $2200 for a "Sport" Shiv with Ultegra components. The color scheme even looks like the "Expert" model.

That's a pretty great deal IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear more and more where the Shiv is getting "long in the tooth" and true it has been out a while without an upgrade, with that said, I see riders still turning in fast times on it. McMahon, Lyles, Don, to name a few. I also see it do well at smaller races or so it seems. I realize the pros could do well on a cruiser, however... just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the 2017 S-Works Module for about 3-weeks and absolutely love it! I had a warranty issue come up with my 2013 frame, and Specialized replaced it with the 2017 Module. Not sure what, if any, changes happened, but the Red/Neon color is crazy bright and looks awesome out on the road. Excited to have this in Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [kodyw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro's ride the bikes that pay the rent, nothing to glean from that. For a company which hypes the motto "Aero is Everything" its interesting that it has come up with alot of aero stuff that hits the masses (road bikes, helmets, shoes, etc) but nothing in the TT department of late. When the marketing machine is going full speed and you hear anecdotes like the Venge VIAS being as aero as the Shiv (without a rider abosrd obviously) I'm not thining wow thats impressive for a road bike, I'm thinking wow thats a sucky tt bike!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [kodyw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frames at that level don't really contribute that much to your CDA, assuming you are able to achieve your optimized position. So it's long in the tooth in that it is short/ tall as the most recent bikes (Felt IA, Canyon, Scott Plasma) have taken the integration the Shiv pioneered a step further with clean setups.

The Shiv with default settings makes it more challenging for many riders to go long. low - per the thread on coordinates. However - it's feasible if you get creative / swap out bars, etc.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for chiming in everyone. Also got confirmation from our local Specialized distributor that they won't be carrying this model.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, the marketing was that the Venge Vias was as fast as a Shiv TT. Not the Shiv. The Shiv TT is old as well, but it has always been pretty well regarded in the aero dept. It is a niche bike to be sure, and a pedantic point.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's the difference for 2017 vs 2015 model (other than color scheme and more component options)? Should I be looking to get 2015 model (I've seen Elite w/ ultegra and fuel cell for $3,000), or 2017 model in the same price range (Shimano 105)?
Last edited by: Anton84: Aug 3, 16 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's interesting is the S-Works Shiv is gone. The Shiv expert is listed at $3750. All Di2 models are gone. Something new has to be coming!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 22, 16 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eurobike is coming up very soon. At which event did they originally release the Shiv Tri?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona 2012 I think

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Eurobike is coming up very soon. At which event did they originally release the Shiv Tri?

Specialized goes to Eurobike?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized has it's own dealer event instead of a big presence at Eurobike or Interbike.

They are releasing a new product on Sep. 9th (rumors are it is a Roubaix) and the smart money is that they will release a new Shiv @ Kona like they did in 2012. I haven't heard anything but between the long in the tooth model design, and their sparse offerings of the current design for 2017 I think it is a good bet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like something is missing...... I am a Shiv rider and a huge SPEC fan. So you got the following line up.

S works- frame with integrated aerobars but not complete. The paint job is cool.

Sport- tiag 10 mech

Elite- 105 11 mech

Expert- Ult 11 mech

None of the complete bikes have Di2, Sram electronic, 1x or even the integrated bars.

How does specialized get the high end market? Not everyone wants to build up a frame.

As much as hope to have the shiv be top of the line for spec one more year but I think there might be a new triathlon bike on the way. Only thing throwing a loop is why release a s works frame. When they went from Transition to Shiv they did not do a S works of the transition any more.

I am 50/50 that something comes out at Kona this year.

So maybe one more year.

Do y'all think this all about the disc brakes deal? Are bike companies waiting to see how that works?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be about disc brakes. Remember, the Vias was designed for discs first and they had to go back and fit rim brakes on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They only x factor to me is the S Works frame being listed.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if anyone has a bike coming at least it will beat the new Cervelo to market.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It could be about disc brakes. Remember, the Vias was designed for discs first and they had to go back and fit rim brakes on it.

You don't really believe that story, do you? All the evidence indicates that they designed the bike around rim brakes....go back and look at the patents they were granted and when they were published.

The "it was originally supposed to be discs" story reeks of marketing spin.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv is now on Specialized web page [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going by what I read here. http://cyclingtips.com/...ero-disc-road-bikes/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's even more interesting is the rim brake Venge Vias has disappeared too. Only the disc versions are listed. https://www.specialized.com/...ikes/triathlon/venge

edit: nevermind. I found it here https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/venge

Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 24, 16 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But is gone from triathlon site.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they're not using that expensive tunnel just to test clothing choices. The disc Venge is done, after all.

I expect they'll release something in the week before Kona, with all the requisite hype.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv doesn't even appear on the Canada site anymore
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am betting now no new tri bike or shiv in 2017...... All the pros Hoffman etc just posted pics of new bike monday etc and these are shivs. Unless it is the ultimate fake out and one pro will have it and all the rest on shiv then I bet nothing new in 2017..... No way pros are changing bikes two weeks out and then again two weeks later. If there had not been a change at all then maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Shiv [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does not seem like there is alot of options for the Shiv.
Quote Reply

Prev Next