Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rappstar at Calgary 70.3
Quote | Reply
He has pulled into the lead, ahead of Potts.
Lets hope he holds continues, collects his KPs and gets his ticket to Kona today
Go Jordan !!
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that on the tracker he caught him on the bike and looked to come into T2 with him. There is no live coverage there, i would assume that Potts is in the lead on the run now? Do you have a source that shows Jordan winning on the run at the moment? That would be great, unexpected, but great for jordan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro Men - Out Of T-2

1 2:28:21 1 Andy Potts USA
2 2:28:23 0:02 2 Jordan Rapp USA
3 2:29:17 0:56 10 Will Clarke GBR
4 2:29:21 1:00 5 Brandon Marsh USA
5 2:34:46 6:25 39 Branden Rakita USA
6 2:35:12 6:51 3 Martin Van Barneveld NZL

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan looks to be just over 2min behind at the halfway point in run. Will Clarke and Andy Potts together at front.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• 4km left in the race, Potts leads Clarke by 30sec #IMYYC
    03:32

• TOP 10 Pro Men - Thru Run Split 1 - 10.55 km

1 3:05:10 10 Will Clarke GBR
    2 3:05:11 0:01 1 Andy Potts USA
    3 3:07:16 2:06 2 Jordan Rapp USA
    4 3:08:15 3:05 5 Brandon Marsh USA
    5 3:12:01 6:51 3 Martin Van Barneveld NZL
    6 3:15:21 10:11 8 Grant Burwash CAN
    7 3:16:13 11:03 39 Branden Rakita USA
    8 3:17:47 12:37 40 John Polson AUS
    9 3:25:31 20:21 35 Elliot Holtham CAN

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:

• 4km left in the race, Potts leads Clarke by 30sec #IMYYC
    03:32

• TOP 10 Pro Men - Thru Run Split 1 - 10.55 km

1 3:05:10 10 Will Clarke GBR
    2 3:05:11 0:01 1 Andy Potts USA
    3 3:07:16 2:06 2 Jordan Rapp USA
    4 3:08:15 3:05 5 Brandon Marsh USA
    5 3:12:01 6:51 3 Martin Van Barneveld NZL
    6 3:15:21 10:11 8 Grant Burwash CAN
    7 3:16:13 11:03 39 Branden Rakita USA
    8 3:17:47 12:37 40 John Polson AUS
    9 3:25:31 20:21 35 Elliot Holtham CAN

duh. I thought halfway because I was thinking in Km, but the split was for 6.xx miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan took 4th place

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that will give him 230 points, so it raises his total to 3410 and puts him in 39th, minus today's results
They take top 40, but I believe excluding Van Lierde and Crowie, 42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not like he has a chance at top 5 in Kona, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Medieval Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not like he has a chance at top 5 in Kona, though. //

Good thing they race through 50th place then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medieval Times wrote:

Dick head comment of the day. Screams of insecurity. Buy some self-help books to see if you can get that self-confidence up so you don't have to discredit others for your own personal benefit.

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Medieval Times wrote:

Dick head comment of the day. Screams of insecurity. Buy some self-help books to see if you can get that self-confidence up so you don't have to discredit others for your own personal benefit.

Comedy gold coming from you. Do you get special perks being part of Rapp's cult?

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I think that will give him 230 points, so it raises his total to 3410 and puts him in 39th, minus today's results
They take top 40, but I believe excluding Van Lierde and Crowie, 42

WIth Buckingham wining IMLP, and Ambrose currently in 2nd, with Vanhoenacker leading at Whistler I don't think he will make the cut this month. Should be safe for August though, might need one more 70.3.
Last edited by: bcagle25: Jul 27, 14 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
TheGupster wrote:
Medieval Times wrote:

Comedy gold coming from you. Do you get special perks being part of Rapp's cult?

That doesn't even make sense. I don't even know what 'Rapp's cult' is. I guess your are making the same assumption people do in politics. If you bash Obama, you MUST be a tea-party or a Republican. Thus by me showing a little support for a fellow STer then I MUST be a Rapp Cult member.

Grow up.

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Medieval Times wrote:

Lay off the caffeine Fan Boy!

Guess you can't handle honesty...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medieval Times wrote:
TheGupster wrote:
Medieval Times wrote:

Lay off the caffeine Fan Boy!

Guess you can't handle honesty...

I'm guess reading comp wasn't exactly your strong skill now was it?

Quote | Reply
Reading comp lol

What a fag
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, asking you since I recognize your name, but any others can chime in:

why is Rapp racing so many 70.3s? I thought there were only so many 70.3 points that could go toward KPR? Does he believe that back-to-back-to-back (I think that's what he just did?) 70.3s is less taxing and simultaneously more point-friendly than just racing a 140.6?

I can't imagine he is trying to 70.3 Worlds qualify. I've seen him reference on more than one occasion that 70.3 is "too short" for him to excel at.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will probably chime in here, but my guess is that he is replacing some very low scoring events. He was well back in the standings in a few, so any top 5 probably netted him some good points. And i see from the front page article that he is on the bubble now, and looks like the bubble will get in through either a no show or an injury, so worked out for him.

He is also a pro triathlete, and as such needs to race to make a living. 1/2 races are about as short as he can be competitive in, so for him, these are his sprints. No doubt he needs a break now, but for LD guys it is not that long to be ready to go again, guessing a couple/few weeks. They train more hours than a 1/2 race each day to begin with, just the intensity they have to recover from.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And i see from the front page article that he is on the bubble now, and looks like the bubble will get in through either a no show or an injury, so worked out for him.

I read that as well. It sounds as if 1 guy declines his sport, Jordan is in the first wave.

How long do the top 40 have to confirm ?

I wonder if 'plan B' another IM such as IMMT ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how serious he is about hawaii this year, but for sure there is a plan B race. Either to win some more money as he is supposed to do, or to get the points to secure the last spots available. He is fit and healthy right now, and going better and better. When a pro feels like that, they want to race all the time. Those windows are not always open, so have to strike when you have your gun loaded for bear.

I hope hawaii is an A race for him, i think he could do very well there on his day. He has all the tools now as well as the heat ability. His last swim was really a break through swim and should enable him to use his bike to punish rather than to chase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medieval Times wrote:
Reading comp lol

What a fag

Hello slowman, mods.

This user should be banned

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It started out as a twofold goal:
- qualify for Kona
- become a better athlete

The qualify for Kona part, had it been the only priority, would have been relatively easy to do at any Ironman, IMLP being the most obvious choice if all I wanted to do was qualify.

Mathematically, when I designed the new KPR points system - and this was confirmed by basically everyone else who ran similar scenarios, it seemed like it would take about 3500 points to qualify. Ironically, it ended up taking EXACTLY 3500.

So between IMTX and IMAZ, I had just over 2500. I had some "filler" - like 100 points or so from IMSG and Oceanside, but basically, all I *needed* to qualify was a 4th place at an Ironman. Outside of Kona, I have never placed lower than 4th in ANY Ironman except my very first one, where I was 5th. So, I was 99% sure that I could do one more Ironman and get enough points to make it into Kona.

However, I didn't actually think that was a good plan, because I didn't see it benefitting me in any way long term as an athlete.

As Medieval Times rightly points out, "it's not like he has a chance at top-5." I'd say that is an accurate current assessment. I think in 2012, when I was racing REALLY well, I had a legitimate chance at 6/7/8 in Kona if I had not raced Leadman 250 in Bend three weeks before. But I think I haven't raced to that level (the level I showed at IMTX & IMNYC 2012) since then. And 6/7/8 is not "top-5." Even at my best, I don't think I have yet shown top-5 form. Top-5 potential? Sure. But so what. What exactly is "potential"? Potential definitely won't feed my (now larger) family. And I beat the shit out of a lot of that potential anyway.

Mostly, I chalk this up to bad self-management. I raced five 8hr races in 10 months - IMTX '12, IMNYC '12, Leadman 250 Bend '12, Kona '12, & IM Melbourne '13. I was sick in Melbourne, and that combined with not totally shutting it down to recover post-Melbourne set me up for a pretty shitty season last year with the low point being a Kona DNF.

This year started out also pretty shitty at Oceanside, and that's when I decided to make a coaching change. The prep I did for Ironman Texas was good. Really good. Probably the best prep for an Ironman I've had since 2012. Unfortunately, as is sometimes the case, when you make a change, there's an adjustment period. I felt REALLY good leading into Texas, until about three days before the race, when I started to fade. Ultimately, it wasn't a total negative - the reason I was able to do the training I did for Texas was that I was finally healthy and in a good headspace. So I did too much because it felt easy. And, as with all things physical, there's a lag with fatigue. But I came out on the short end of the stick - a wetsuit swim in warm water didn't help, but that was probably more the difference between hanging onto 2nd vs fading to 4th than it was winning vs. not. I was tired during the race, and ended up fading. That 4:19 was an underperformance on the bike given the conditions. And a 3:02? Well, yeah... I was so tired that I didn't even register on the crowded Texas run that Justin Daerr passed me with about 1/2 a mile to go (ironically, that 300 point differential between 3rd and 4th would be the difference between an easy road to 3500 and what ended up being a much more challenging route). C'est la vie.

A win at Texas would have gotten me in. But when that didn't happen, I needed a plan B. I knew from the Texas build that my health was back after 2013 and that my ability to do the training needed to win a race was also back.

So what was missing? I figured it was racing skills. I raced very little in 2013. My swim made very little progress, despite strong improvements in the pool. I was pretty much the same athlete that I had been in terms of how I was able to do well and what I could do well at.

Those limiters are all a huge problem when it comes to being a guy who CAN go top-5 in Kona.

So I figured I'd try to get the points and ALSO improve as a "racer." I'd try to improve my swim. I'd be able to test in real scenarios things that offered a supposed advantage (like the Pearl sleeved trisuit, which tested really fast in the windtunnel, but which I cannot swim with pulled up in), to further refine nutrition (I had to pitstop again in Texas and I felt like I'd lost my handle a bit on really being dialed on IM nutrition), and to just get better at racing - transitions, tactics, etc, etc, etc.

Syracuse was not a great race; for reasons that I still don't understand, my hip locked up after my run Saturday morning and just would not cooperate on the run on race day. Been fine before and since.

Lubbock was a great race, though in fairness, if I was to design the PERFECT half-Ironman course for me, that's it. If I had realized then that the Pearl suit slowed me down in the water, I think I win that race. But that was my first sense of, "oh yeah, this is RACING. I can be good at it. And I like it. A lot."

Vineman was another subpar swim thanks to Pearl suit, but it was a great race from a pacing standpoint, so another improvement. Getting back to being really steady. That was my most evenly paced race. And I think a good reminder of both the positives and negatives of that.

In Racine, i didn't have a great day (bad pacing on the bike), but finally - for the first time in close to two years - I actually raced from start to finish. A good swim, a dumb bike but then followed by a tough (though not super fast) run. But it was a race. A real race. I crossed the finishline with nothing left. I just bent over and wanted to die. For the first time in a LONG time. 10th place was shitty, but whatever. I remembered how to race. I didn't have the fitness to back it up since I hadn't done a "real" week of training since some time in April, but that's easy to correct. THAT is easy to fix. The racing brain? Much harder.

So I decided to race again. I wanted to race again. So I headed to Calgary.

I had a best ever swim, coming out in the front pack, swimming on the feet of an Olympian and U-23 ITU World Champ (Will Clarke). I rode a tactical bike, not just a sit on the front and ride steady (though I did sit at the front for about the last 80km of the 90km); I raced the bike. And I managed to break everyone except Potts, again, without actually preparing on the bike the way I would for a big race. And then I ran really well - holding Brandon at the same margin - for 1/2 the run. In the second half? Well, I just ran out of steam. Five 70.3s in six weeks will do that to you, especially when the last block of real training you did was about five-six weeks before you even started knocking down these races. I thought I might have been able to outkick Brandon if we'd been about 1km closer to the line when he passed me, but the last surge I had - what I would have needed to kick off of - made me know there was no way I could hold it for 2km. But again, I raced it. Start to finish. I finally felt like a racer again.

The first couple of these races, it was like no big deal to recover, because in some ways, I was just going through the motions. Like doing "half-of-an-Ironman." Calgary and Racine? Those hurt. Those were tiring. Because those were full on races.

Does this mean I'm a top-5 guy? I wouldn't say that. What I will say is that IF I do ever cross the line in Kona in 5th or better, it will be precisely because of this and because i didn't choose just to go "do" an Ironman so I could get into Kona.

Right now, I'm not sure what the rest of the year will hold. Surprisingly (because I never intended to race this many 70.3s), I actually qualified for 70.3 WC, and I think I'll probably go, because it's a great chance to simulate a WC swim outside of Kona and to keep racing sharp.

I might do another 70.3 before the end of August - maybe Brazil, just because Brazil seems hella cool, but I'm not going to chase a Q slot. I think I've got a pretty good chance that SOMEONE will turn it down from this first cut, but I'm okay either way. If not, I can just keep racing - and keep improving - and that may even be the better plan long term anyway.

When I had my best season ever - 2012 - I went 4:00 to start the year at Wildflower. That's the 6th fastest time EVER on that course - a course that has seen basically every great 70.3 racer in the world race it at some point (Macca, M. Raelert, Potts, Llanos, Terenzo, etc). I don't think that's coincidence. Wildflower is - like Lubbock - the perfect course for me, but I still needed to have the tools to go fast on it. I think at some point, I lost those. I would say now, I feel like I have them back. Now just need to put some fitness behind them...

The TL;DR version is this: Paulo wrote a tweet a few weeks ago that said, roughly, "I love it when guys who are killing it at 70.3 decide to 'step up' to Ironman. Because I know they're gonna get slower." So this was basically the inverse of that.

Why am I doing a bunch of 70.3s? Because I wanna get faster. THAT is the reason.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what did you mean by your "racing is honest" tweet ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to know where you are at? Fitness-wise, mentally, everything. Go race. You'll get an honest answer.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next