Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing an Ironman WITHOUT racing any half Ironman as part of the training?
Quote | Reply
Hello folks,

Need your feedback:

I'm racing Ironman Coeur d'Alene June 28th and wanted to either race Wildflower (May 2nd) or Half Ironman St George, UT (May 2nd as well). But considering all the costs involved (hotel, flights, etc etc etc) I'm taking a the step back (still havent booked flight/hotel for CDA).

Instead I'm planning on doing "2 big day workouts":
- first one being 8 weekends before the actual A race (Ironman CDA)
- second one being 4 weekends before the actual A race (Ironman CDA)

This big workout would be similar to race conditions and would be as follow:

early start with 1h swim open water
followed by 5h bike ride (hilly!)
followed by 2h run

Which I think is a great idea except that I'll be missing the "competition" environment.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing an Ironman WITHOUT racing any half Ironman as part of the training? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frontdoor brag (sorta bc I didn't go to Kona) but I went 10:00 at IMWI last year and I never did a 70.3 and never did anything remotely close to days like you're trying for.

Big days are great but consistency is KING. My "biggest" day last year was 5 hour ride (at Ironman pace) with 10 mile brick run (@ IM pace)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing an Ironman WITHOUT racing any half Ironman as part of the training? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people do an Ironman as their very first triathlon. Lots of people have had lots of success (up to you how to define that) with practically no racing experience.

FWIW- I think your big workout is nuts.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KQ'd twice without doing a warm-up race. Too expensive, stressful, and too long recovery for me personally. The training day you suggest sounds like too much as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could just do your own self supported 70.3 or a local 70.3 (if there are any) I agree with others who have stated those big days are awfully big, especially the first one. You might want to split that up over a weekend.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Jan 27, 15 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem at all. An IM was my first tri ever and I never really did any big days. Longest ride was 80 miles, runs 15-18 miles tops. 2000m continuous pool swim. Granted, it did take me almost 11 hours to finish the IM, so maybe my advice isn't the best to take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not required to race an HIM before an IM. That said, I've done the WF/CDA double three times and have worked with tons of athletes who've done the same. The timing of the race is fine, probably even better now that CDA is bumped out a week later into June vs how it used to be.

I think racing a half before an IM is helpful is there is enough space between the two races so that you can have your head and training in an "I'm training for an HIM vs an IM" for much of your season.

That is, my WF/SG + CDA crew will be training 100% like short course / HIM athletes until about early to mid April. Then they will flip the switch over to Ironman training, racing WF or SG in route to CDA, working the race into their training plans.

Your big day is too big, especially the 2hr run off the bike. Just not needed. Our big day is 1/4/1, without going crazy with super fast transitions, etc. The idea is to put together a plan, execute the plan, and experience the buzz of a 6hr training day. In addition to 1-2 of ^these^ they'll do 2x race rehearsals as 100-112/6mi brick. Bonus if they can add a swim to the front of that, if it's logistically easy for them.

Good luck!

+++++++++

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half iron races cut both ways.

One one hand a half iron is good practice to go out and get some big miles in, however it can lead to a false sense of security. Iron distance execution is miles away from half iron. If you go out at half iron and kinda fall apart halfway through the run it's easy to convince yourself it was OK and you can kinda keep on keepin on.

Rich is right in that Iron distance is about figuring out your plan and then executing it. However, there are lots of people who just can't get the plan until their current plan's inadequacy is laid bare. And the big day is really the only way to really get it through someone's skull.

So one thig missing in your description of the big day is how long you think you'll be out there. If you're looking at a 5 hour run split, then a 2 hour run isn't really a test of your execution plan. If you're looking at running, 3:45, then 2 hours is plenty.

So before I'd sound off on your big days, I'd be asking what kinda time you think you'll take.

I do use big days, often bigger than those you have pointed out, and we haven't missed on an execution plan since starting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you have ANY experience with triathlon, but it is also good to do an olympic to get experience concerning the logistics. Clothing or material problems you encounter there you can avoid in the IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing an Ironman WITHOUT racing any half Ironman as part of the training? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I don't know if you have ANY experience with triathlon, but it is also good to do an olympic to get experience concerning the logistics. Clothing or material problems you encounter there you can avoid in the IM.

I don't think that this is especially helpful if you are doing an Olympic distance right and Ironman distance right...the two are just so different, even in terms of clothing, equipment, nutrition, importance of speed in transition, etc.

As others have mentioned, a big part of the Ironman difference is the mental aspects that can make it a lot tougher when trying to stick to a plan. I had a bad run in a 70.3 race in which the temps hit 38 degrees and I had vomited early on the bike after swallowing too much salt water...when I reached the 12km mark I was pretty cooked...but at the HIM distance...it's easier to suck it up and still qualify for WCs...only 9km to go...Ironman...30km to go...a completely different order of pain!

I think it's totally do-able if you put the training in and make sure all your gear and nutrition is going to work in theory (e.g. practiced with it and all seems good) and then deal with what really happens in the race as it comes.

I also agree your big day sounds pretty masochistic...but I kinda like it! heheh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a local half in May before IM Lake Placid in July last year, but I've done multiple half's in previous years so I don't think not doing it would have been a deal breaker (I love to race though). Are there not any local half's that you could do vice trying to do an Ironman branded one - as I'm sure you know there are a lot of great local/regional race companies across the U.S. and if you can find a local one you don't have the travel expenses and registration significantly cheaper? Also last year I did 3 bike centuries and after two of them I did a 90min run - my coach had me do this as a mental confidence builder as well as an opportunity to test my race day nutrition - this might be a good option for you vice the practice races you have planned.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're just fine doing this...because..well I did the same thing for my first IM which was also CDA in 2012. Prior to that I had one triathlon race which was an Olympic the previous year. Just stay consistent in your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While races can be good fitness builders it is by no means necessary. Depending on your goals the 2 hour run after the bike may not be needed either. Make sure to swim and bike at IM efforts with some intervals above race pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, no it is not neccesary, and ,let likely even counterproductive. You really have to ask yourself what would be the intended purpose. If for race simulation to determine setup, clothing, nutrition, etc then the HIM distances are all wrong: the swim and bike are way too short, and the run is way too long for those purposes. A 1:10 swim, 5 hour bike, and 20~30 minute run off will tell you everything you need to know, and not leave you shelled in the process. Getting the 1:10 swim in immediately before the bike is the key.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing an Ironman WITHOUT racing any half Ironman as part of the training? [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No requirement. It's a completely different race. However, it does provide a less risky introduction to the importance of pacing, nutrition and overall execution. It's a lot less forgiving than Olympic for sure in that regard.

Why do them?

1) Because they are a great way to test your fitness mid season and see where you have weaknesses, and create target pacing for IM
2) Because they are fun! Probably now my favorite distance.
3) Because you can use them to split your season, and build fitness in a more general manner for 6 months, then spend the next 4-5 months focusing on the full distance.
4) It's a "big day" of training that you can recover from in about a week.

I really like having an "A" race to look forward 2x a year. It also means all your eggs aren't all in one basket so to speak. Ask the IMLT folks about that one... or anyone that just had a bad day at a IM. It happens.

On the flip side, for a fun twist, make a Sprint or Olympic distance your "A" race early in the season. I'm trying that this year for fun. I have a race I've been 2nd place at 3 years in a row. Going to see if I can win it for once.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM Boulder last year (my first and only IM), I only did 2 sprints and 1 olympic races as tune ups. For reference, I went 10:57 at Boulder. Like you, the 70.3 were too much time and money to travel for. Boulder 70.3 was not a a good time for as it was in June and I did not believe I was ready.
So instead, like you are thinking, I did 2 heavy weekends about 3 weeks apart.
One critical workout I did was 3x(30mi ride, 5mi run) with transitions of no more than 5mins. This was a solid long workout that allowed me to feel comfortable with my fitness. Had I done a race like 70.3, I would have pushed myself too hard and needed to take too many weeks after to recover and would have cut into my training too much.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done more than 15 IM and probably one 1/2 IM. However make sure your training is really preparing you to a long day, getting hard toward the end.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply