Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheels brake adjustment logistics
Quote | Reply
Set up my 60/90 Flos this week on my Felt B16 for the first time and had to adjust my brakes so they could fit. The rear brake only needed some minor adjustments on the barrel adjuster and opening up the quick release lever. On the front brake, on the other hand, I had to release and readjust the brake cable.

What is the accepted or most used logistics to make this easier? Is it normal to have to do this every time or is it possible to set it up so that I only have to open up the brake quick release and use it like that with my race wheels and close it for my training wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels brake adjustment logistics [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the integrated/hidden rear brake on my bike, there essentially is no adjustment other than the cable bolt and adding/removing the washers behind the pads. I went the route of buying a cheap but robust set of wide training wheels. I went with the Velocity A23 rim on a 105 hub. Brake track is not the exact width on both, but close enough that I don't have to make any adjustments. I think I got the training wheels for under $250. You could also get a set of the Flo 30's for training or just train on the 60/90 too.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should be able to get the cable in a position where barrel adjuster/qr can swap between the two.

However as your pads wear this can change on you.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Shiv with a set of Flo's (60/90). The front wheel was not a problem, the rear wheel was a different story. Everyone knows the stock brakes on the Shiv are garbage for stopping power, not to mention adjustability. It took me literally 30+ minutes to get the rear wheel re-centered so there was no brake rub. By that time I was a homicidal/suicidal maniac.

My solution, albeit a relatively expensive one, a set (front and back) of TriRig Omegas. Problem solved, life simpler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best solution is to spend $500 and get a pair of FLO 30's to train on. Never adjust your brakes again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There should be no reason to ever remove the Flo's, therefore just set your brakes the way you want them and forget about it.

I had to remove washers from my Transition brakes to get them to clear. I never intend to go back.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels brake adjustment logistics [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be worse. To make my 808FC rear wheel fit my SC7.5, I had to remove the washers AND take a file to the brake pads. Too about 5 times reassembling thme bastards to get it to work. I think I spent 2 hours setting up my brakes that night.

No, a don;t change my pads when using my aluminum training wheels. I simply leave them loose enough that they don't engage the rim. Rear brakes aren't necessary anyway unless you have long braking descents and need to spread out the heat load or are riding very technical sections of road aggressively and need to trail brake smoothly. For emergency stopping, your rear wheel will barely be on the ground anyway.

FWIM... don't confuse use of a rear brake on a motorcycle with a bicycle. Different animals, since a modern motorcycle (not a cruiser) with a mono shock rear suspension has geometry that causes it the squat rather than rise up when the rear brake is applied. They also have much longer wheelbase and much, much, much lower center of gravity.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Apr 10, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Flo 90/disc last season. I have a Speed concept 7 w/ a Tririg brake in front.

Picked up a set of Flo 30's for the same reason. Best way to fix this problem is to throw money at it.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM makes a set of TT brake levers that have a built in barrel adjuster that are very clean. Undo a little lock nut and rotate the lever around. Bontrager has one as well. It may be more practical, but it isn't as clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like having a 3/8 socket wrench in my toolbox with a 5mm allen heat socket, so when I need to do some little adjustment like that it's a snap and the tool is very easy to find in the jumble. Making that cable adjustment, if needed, should not be a big issue. Just avoid over tightening so the cable gets squashed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switch between Planet X and zipp 404(little wider).
I set it up that way that I just need to turn the adjuster screw to get both working, it's not not whole way of the screw one end to another between both. Same frame I guess (B10).

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went the same route, just bought wheels that are all the same width. Also picked up a narrow rim that has a 20mm tyre on it for the trainer. That way it just slips through no need to mess with anything.
Quote Reply