Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Report -- Timberman 70.3
Quote | Reply
Three words: Wet, but awesome! This was only my second half IM, the first being Delaware Diamondman last September which was pancake flat, so I don't have much to compare it against.

PRE-RACE

Get up at 4:30 a.m. and it's POURING!!!! I mean, just dumping. Fellow STer, KLOintheridge, and I drive over to Ellacoya and already the traffic is backed up about 1/2 mile. Get to our spot and just sit in the car looking at each other going, "man, this is gonna be something else." Rain still coming down, so I finally suggest we go set up our transition areas. After about ten minutes, I figure out that my shell is more water than resistant and resort to the old standby -- garbage bag over the head with custom arm cut outs. Given the weather, the forecast, and my expected MOP finishing time, I decide to put all my run gear in a plastic bag figuring it's better to give up 30 seconds than run in soaking trainers and get a blister. Wetsuit and cap on, it's time to go for a swim.

SWIM

Walked out of transition and got in the water and did about ten minutes of easy swimming just to get the blood flowing. The water was perfect temperature and really clear. I am not a strong swimmer, but after splashing around for a bit I was actually looking forward to the swim. The race start was delayed by about 40 minutes and as it was raining, grey and about 62 degrees, this delay brought on a bit of a chill which I couldn't shake prior to the start. RD calls our wave, the last of the AGers, and we're through the mats and into the lake. RD tells us to "GO" and we're off. Although I haven't done many half-IMs, I've raced a number of Olys and this was by far the most enjoyable swim I have had. Although there was a pretty good breeze creating a moderate chop I found a lane for the entire length of the course and it was pretty "scrum-free" for me. The course was a clockwise rectangle with the wind coming from right to left at the start which meant that when you made the first turn, you were swimming into the swell. Surprisingly, this didn't seem so bad. What seemed worse was after the second and final turn the swells were coming from the left and they seemed a bit more pronounced so I switched to breathing to my right exclusively and just cruised in to the beach. Swim time was 40:01. Like I said, not a strong swimmer.

BIKE

KLO and I had driven the course on Saturday which turned out to be a good idea given the conditions on Sunday morning. Having now ridden the course, my opinion is that it looked worse than it rode. I actually had fun and although there were a few hills that required a nice spin, the course was overall a good mix and you could really get some speed on the descents. The haul on Rt. 106 out past Loudon and back was great as you could really get a good rythm going. Since the way out is slightly down hill, it was free speed and I was cruising at about 24 mph with a 138 HR. It was really raining when I descended the Monstah and at 43 mph my front tire started to float a bit on the water so I actually got out of the aerobars and onto the base bar (sissy, I know). Made the final turn back to Ellacoya, spun up the hills in the aerobars, and ripped it down the final descent to the left hander back to transition. I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride. Bike handled great and really felt good. Ian and Sarah at Fit Werx and Dave G. at Elite really did a great job fitting me. Thanks guys. Split was 2:51:54 or 19.5 mph. Certainly not Bjorn-like, but acceptable to me (this year :))

RUN

Great run course. Idea to put the running shoes on the plastic bag was the right one as my Asics and socks were nice and dry!!! Although I don't like the spirit-sapping aspect of the two loop configuration (you get to the finish line, but you're not crossing the finish line), I thought the course was great. It's worth pointing out that virtually all of the residents get out to support the race whether by constructing their own aid stations or simply cheering you on from their porch. It was great to see the community get behind what is undoubtedly a major inconvenience on race day. Anyway, not much to say about the run. I am working on my running and it's come along since last year. At Diamondman, which had a flat bike and run, I ran a 2:10. Yesterday, I went 1:57 so although not blistering, 8:58s are a lot better than 10:10s and, since I am racing against myself, I was pleased with the improvement, but not satisfied.

OVERALL

Great race. Can't thank the volunteers enough for standing out there in the dark and the rain and getting the race off. The participants paid to engage in the madness, but you guys simply showed up. Thanks!!! Finished in 5:35:22 which was two minutes faster than Diamondman, on a tougher course. Improvement comes slowly I guess, but considering I commute to a desk in NYC, I was happy with my time. One thing I noted was that my HR was about ten beats lower for the entire race than it was at Diamondman so I guess the winter base stuff really works. I'll be back next year and go faster.

Thanks to KJ and everyone else who made the race happen. Excellent job and a great weekend.

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Last edited by: chrisc70: Aug 22, 06 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a few things:

it's KJ. i think KEJ is someone else.
go to sleep! you have to jockey that desk tomorrow.

great race. loved the race report...including mentions of me. good improvement on the run and the HR and overall race.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KJ, KEJ, they know who I mean.

Thanks. Have to give a shout out to KLO. Just remember, Iced Tea in the Parlor makes the Ladies Holler!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again...a correction: that's "raw tea in the parlor makes the ladies HOLLAH." lol

great race again. the rain made it a better story.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it's "I tea in the parlor . . ." Just checked it out.

What you were thinking of was Raw tizzy in the pizzy makes the ladies hizzy!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol...that's it.

you need to hit the hizzy!

do you think rappstar read this? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, it's "I tea in the parlor . . ." Just checked it out.

What you were thinking of was Raw tizzy in the pizzy makes the ladies hizzy!!!!!!

Wow. This thread got really weird pretty quickly. Great race!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job :) it was cold standing in the rain those hours before the start. I loved the aid stations too - the Tiki one with the bubbles was SWEET!

Congrats!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 80's one was awesome too.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, way to go!!!!! Tough conditions out there!!!

The lake is usually flat in the am. This is the first time we've had the chop we had this year. The community is great, the police are great, and our staff/volunteers are great. Despite the horrid conditions, we still loved it. Congrats again
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it was late and we were delirious and overtired. and i had some wine...lol
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah, that You Tube clip was in my head all weekend so KLo and I have lost our minds due to it. Sorry to involve the forum, but you should check it out. Very funny.

Thanks for the support.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that was a cute exchange between you and KLOintheridge

did you guys share a room after the race?

galashay
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [galashay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Too funny!
But seriously - Thanks for the RR. You summed it up well, and congrats on improving on your time on a tough day. I'm always so impressed by those who do this sport with families/long commutes/ etc etc...
Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [galashay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. is that post number 3 or 4 galashay? i love how i draw you out onto the forum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report. As I drove to the course I remeber thinking "My mother raised me better than this." That swim was tough on me too. Based on your report I was in the same wave as you and the wait to get started was long.

Great support on the course especially the police at every intersection. If there was any chance of a car getting in the way of a bike they held up the traffic. KJ nice work.

G
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [Gibs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report. The day was challenging, wet and fun. KJ - great job with the race, excellent volunteers, flawless execution, and tons of fun. You put on a heck of an event.

I didn't have a PR, but given the conditions and tougher course, I'll take the 5:37 (30:39/2:50/2:09).

gbassett.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report -- Timberman 70.3 [tri.bassett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!!!
Quote Reply