Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race "Value" - another Rockman question.
Quote | Reply
I have now been sent e-mails from a number of folks who "may" race at the Rockman in June. These people "want to race" but want to make sure they get their "monies worth" of schwag and stuff. They want technical tee's, BIG medals, cash prizes, tons of food on the course, free water bottles, and extra stuff to take home.

What is it that would make a race "worth it". I think that at INMA races I would need to eat myself to misery and take home 200 water bottles to "get my monies worth" - but I feel I do as I get a great course, great support and have a great time. So, as an RD am I missing something? If you were (or are) and RD would you send a list of what folks with get in their "goodie bags"? Would you reply at all?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Feb 16, 07 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, most of the junk in the swag bags I never use (but did like the Clinique for men stuff this year at IMLP). I do like the tech T-shirts though over cotton T's. That is about all I would ask. Water bottles, coupons, magazines, flyers, etc. - leave it.

Of course a races "value" has nothing to do with what is in the bag, but the course/venue itself ...

Last edited by: rroof: Feb 15, 07 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, when I do an event I could care less what is in a goodie bag. I am more pleased when I see a well thought out and safe course with good support, then some BS in a bag. The Chip of Old would have told them to go take a leap ;-).

It would be considerate of you to email or just post on the website what they will get in their goodie bags.

Best of luck on your event.
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Chip of Old would have told them to go take a leap ;-).
Welcome to the new "Kinder and more Gentle" Chip. Do I ever feel for RD's...it has been great and I am super excited about the event...oh, and terrified.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard about this race. Is it USAT? Wondering about a qualifier for LC nationals...

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't reply you may lose them altogether...

Most of us like the schwag but it's not why you do a race, it's just a nice bonus. I have more t-shirts and water bottles than i'm going to use for several years so I don't really need more. Prizes are irrelevant to most entrants as they won't be getting any. Medals, I don't care. I do like the technical tees as there's more chance I'll actually wear the thing at some point. I do hate races that are sponsored by arrowhead as they only have water on the run and that sucks. Not running out of food at aid stations would be good but I don't think you need to provide a breakfast buffet. I like a nice course and good organization, fun kinda depends on how your own race goes...

You have some great prizes for raffles and the swim, make sure you mention those and the CAF thing.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just heard about this race. Is it USAT? Wondering about a qualifier for LC nationals...

It is USAT but not a qualifier for anything but pride.

find more at the site, links in the sig. Or you can call me - phone numbers on the site.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C,

I'm one of those who "may" be there (although I didn't email you) and my decision has nothing to do with swag. My race decisions rest primarily with date/timing and secondly with the course. Beyond that I just want to know that the race is organized at well enough that race day will go smoothly and there won't be problems - at least none so blatent that the interfere with the execution of the race itself. Goodies are nice, but really aren't THE deciding factor.

FYI, regarding participation, I'm torn. Rockman's weekend is one of the only weekends I'm able to get from Ohio to Madison to ride the IMMoo course. On one hand, I'll be driving right through your area. On the other, I doubt I can ride Moo and do Rockman the same weekend. Decisions, decisions...

How are you on volunteers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those that will sign up, two of my friends already did, it is always fun to compete against training buddies. Anyway, as long as the course is really well marked, safe, with well stocked aid stations, place to sit down (chairs) after the race, I am good. Technical T is nice but really everything else pretty much ends up in the garbage. See you there June 10th.

Paul
Taking the 35-39AG

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
R10C,
Can always use more. There will be a special ST party too on Saturday. Madison is about 40 minutes from here. No reason you cant at least join us and hang out. I need to think of something special for the ST'ers - thinking a BBQ at my house Sat night possibly.

Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was going to reply but The Lemming said it better than I could. Focus on putting on a quality, fun and safe event (well marked, people at intersections, etc etc) and the rest will take care of itself. And remember this is the first year; a quality race is built over a number of years as you work out the bugs.

You have a great start already as I see the participant list from this site.

_____

]
Geez, when I do an event I could care less what is in a goodie bag. I am more pleased when I see a well thought out and safe course with good support, then some BS in a bag. The Chip of Old would have told them to go take a leap ;-).

It would be considerate of you to email or just post on the website what they will get in their goodie bags.

Best of luck on your event.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with the tech t. I don't think too many people decide based on that. it just makes you feel better when you see it! plus with h20 bottles you get free publicity all year.

Dan
http://www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm already in, so i guess it doen't matter what I think, but I thought that the price for the race was reasonable for a 1/2 and as long as I'm getting a cool looking tech Tee in the schwag bag I feel like I'm coming out ahead as far a free stuff is concerned.

IMHO I could go with no metals, and no cash prizes in leiu of a well run race with a well marked course (I like mileage markers) with aid stations that have pleanty of ICE on the run. I figure that is what my entry fee is for anyway, not the stuff in the bag. (the water bottle exchange at the halfway of the bike is nice, but I carry enough for the 56 regardless)

i do think it sounds like you have a kick ass raffle at the end, although it is not why I signed up.

cheers

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona spots or I am not racing. A HIM in Germany just got 15 spots so they are out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the race is half as good sounding as you make it sound, and then add in all the cool stuff you got sponsors to cough up - that's plenty of reason for me to show up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you really gotten those emails? I would never think to email and RD and ask about swag. Change it up a bit. Instead of the tech tee that we all have a billion of, give a nice pair of tri shorts. That would be awesome. That and a cool course would definitely be enough for me.

No shit: everyone had tampons in their swag bags at IMFL 2006. Ladies' razors too.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want a mud pit, two pairs of oversized boxing gloves, and plenty of sacrificial lambs for the post-race entertainment. Anything else is just a prelude to this gladiator contest.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude a good ladies razor is better then a man's razor any day

on the legs at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would be down for a BBQ after, and if there is anything in respect to that that i could help with i would be more than happy too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I ever expect is a well thought out safe course, and a secure transition area. I like tech t's ipo cotton, and a little post race grub is nice. You've done plenty of races, and know what people like and don't. You'll drive yourself nuts if you try to please everyone. If you put effort in a great course, and scrounge up enough knowledgable volunteers to make sure everything goes smoothly, swag will be a distant afterthought for the athletes.

Last time I looked at your site I didn't see info about volunteering.
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
R10C,

I'm one of those who "may" be there (although I didn't email you) and my decision has nothing to do with swag. My race decisions rest primarily with date/timing and secondly with the course. Beyond that I just want to know that the race is organized at well enough that race day will go smoothly and there won't be problems - at least none so blatent that the interfere with the execution of the race itself. Goodies are nice, but really aren't THE deciding factor.

FYI, regarding participation, I'm torn. Rockman's weekend is one of the only weekends I'm able to get from Ohio to Madison to ride the IMMoo course. On one hand, I'll be driving right through your area. On the other, I doubt I can ride Moo and do Rockman the same weekend. Decisions, decisions...

Easy. Head to Madison on Friday. Ride one loop (starting in Verona) on Saturday morning (~40 miles). Drive down and race on Sunday!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Race "Value" - another Rockman question. [Rockhopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Paul
Taking the 35-39AG[/quote]

It's on, that is smackdown talk if I ever heard it. All I can say is not so fast buddy!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have now been sent e-mails from a number of folks who "may" race at the Rockman in June. These people "want to race" but want to make sure they get their "monies worth" of schwag and stuff. They want technical tee's, BIG medals, cash prizes, tons of food on the course, free water bottles, and extra stuff to take home[/quote]Really? WTF do these people think you are doing this for? Just for fun? You have to answer their emails but I'd have a standard canned reply for these jokers. If they want all that crap let them put on a f*cking race and see just how much fun it isn't. F*cking idioits imo but hey what do I know, I just like to race to race and could care less about adding to the 73 water bottles that i already have. I do like the tech t's over cotton but again what do I know?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I want is estee to greet me at the finish line. Tour de France podium girls eat your heart out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm choosing my races based mostly on location and date, but things that I think are nice are:
A tech t-shirt and frequent, well-stocked and staffed aid stations.
A course that's spectator friendly (don't make my husband drive all over the world so he can make me start and finish)

Above and beyond that I don't really see what would be necessary.
Quote Reply

Prev Next