Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quitting Triathlon and Running Only
Quote | Reply
I watching the 2006 Kona video, saw Desiree Ficker and googled her to see if she was still doing triathlon. Apparently not, as the 2011 story I read stated that she'd quit the sport to concentrate on running. The story got me thinking about why I'm doing triathlon since I don't particularly enjoy cycling and suck at swimming. Though I'm starting to enjoy it a little more, I can't say that I particularly love swimming either. I do however, LOVE running, probably because I'm good at it. My cycling is pretty bad, as i probably push about 165 watts at my peak. Swimming wise, I'm about year and a half into it, but can't use the excuse of being "new" anymore. As the running season has gone on, I've thought more and more about just focusing on running and dropping tri, though I bet I'd enjoy it more if I didn't stink at the other two legs. Has anybody else thought about this or gone through with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [djwrekless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me part of the fun is seeing the improvements where I am weak, whatever that's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anybody else thought about this or gone through with it?

I came from a running back ground to triathlon. When I quit triathlon cold-turkey in 1997, I went back to just running for a time. It was nice to go back to the single sport. Training became much simpler. Organizing to go to a race became a snap - singlet & racing flats in a bag and go! I was traveling a lot for work at the time, and loved that I could run anywhere at any time! Total hours for training/week went from 15 to about 5 - and I was still very competitive locally in running races.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rushed to the longer distances way too fast, so the training became more work rather than enjoyment. I was also frustrated in my results. Running is my strength, so I considered taking some time off from tris and just running. Instead I ended up changing my training routine A LOT. ie; heavy interval focused for the swim and bike. A couple of positive things happened from this process, I started to enjoy swimming (especial OWS), placing in my AG for tris and got faster running. My first BQ was at the tailend of a tri season with 3 half irons.

I raced 2, half irons last year and started to feel burnt again. (Results showed this) So this year I have switched back to Oly/Sprints and I am having a great time training for them.

For me, if I think back to the reason why I got into triathlon, it becomes pretty apparent what I need to do/change to enjoy it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Has anybody else thought about this or gone through with it?

I came from a running back ground to triathlon. When I quit triathlon cold-turkey in 1997, I went back to just running for a time. It was nice to go back to the single sport. Training became much simpler. Organizing to go to a race became a snap - singlet & racing flats in a bag and go! I was traveling a lot for work at the time, and loved that I could run anywhere at any time! Total hours for training/week went from 15 to about 5 - and I was still very competitive locally in running races.

I have one race left and then the USAT license is done. I have found that I am a decent cyclist and have taken that up as a single sport. Had my first real experience racing a crit this weekend and finished with the pack, got my teammates on the podium (they were omnium leaders and I was not in the omnium because I had to work the day of the road race).
I had a blast racing and I am so excited to see the power numbers coming up now that I don't have to split my time between sports. There is a lot to be said for the gains you get with sport specificity and doing what you are best at doing.

I am a crappy swimmer (1:55/100) and a marginal runner (25:50 was last 5K), so this was a good change for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think this sometimes. Ok biker, suck at swimming, decent runner.

But why am I decent runner? Because I ran for 5 years before starting tri. So I want to keep working and get them all up to decent. Even though swimming is really hard to make myself do sometimes...
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rushed to the longer distances way too fast

A common problem!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I rushed to the longer distances way too fast

A common problem!

I've done a few sprint tri events, but on the olympic side have stuck more with duathlons. I started watching some of the old Kona videos during my trainer workouts and noticed how miserable the folks looked during the race and was struck by the people who's bodies were failing them as they either DNFed for walked to the finish line. Part of that just doesn't compute with me, as I think an iron distance race would be a nice bucket list item, but for someone that's not a pro and wants to race to compete, Olympic or shorter would allow for better training and a more enjoyable racing experience.

Anyway, back to my OP. Swimming is becoming a little more enjoyable as I learn new things and improve slightly and I'm sure racing overall will be more fun as I improve in the weaker disciplines. But Fleck, your points about simplicity are definitely what I think about when considering going back to run only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I think I have athletic ADD or something. I can never decide which sport I want to focus on for very long. For a few years it was tris. Then running. Now its just cycling for the past 2 years and I'm getting bored again and thinking of going back to tris.

The good thing about triathlon is that at least you have several sports where you can switch things up a bit!

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I became interested in tris back in the middle 80s. Life got in the way, but finally bought a tri bike in 2000. Have always run and rode, but no swimming. I am a stronger cyclist, average runner & swimmer. IM times around 13hrs. Old guy. But recently I have been thinking about just doing running and swimming for fitness. The cycling aspect takes too much time to train and its too dangerous out on the roads. I may do one more IM with majority of my bike training on the trainer. If that goes OK my tris may be limited to a shorter distance race here and there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And give up the cool bike? NO WAY.

If being fit, and a simpler workout is what your'e after...then I don't blame a person: stick with one discipline.

But for me, it has nothing to do with that. Win, lose, have a shitty race time...who cares. It's the journey.....and the cool bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djwrekless wrote:
I watching the 2006 Kona video, saw Desiree Ficker and googled her to see if she was still doing triathlon. Apparently not, as the 2011 story I read stated that she'd quit the sport to concentrate on running. The story got me thinking about why I'm doing triathlon since I don't particularly enjoy cycling and suck at swimming. Though I'm starting to enjoy it a little more, I can't say that I particularly love swimming either. I do however, LOVE running, probably because I'm good at it. My cycling is pretty bad, as i probably push about 165 watts at my peak. Swimming wise, I'm about year and a half into it, but can't use the excuse of being "new" anymore. As the running season has gone on, I've thought more and more about just focusing on running and dropping tri, though I bet I'd enjoy it more if I didn't stink at the other two legs. Has anybody else thought about this or gone through with it?

Why do you care what other people think? Set your own goals, while remembering that just because you've done (for instance) a marathon, doesn't mean you should no longer consider shorter races fun or worth the effort. Same goes for tri - having done a triathlon does not mean that single-sport events (or single-sport training) are no longer "proper". It's refreshing to shake things up from time to time and put in extra time on one sport or the other.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djwrekless wrote:

Last year I sold my Speed Concept and bought a Venge to take up road racing. I'm only a couple of races in so far, but it's a lot of fun, and I get to dedicate my training time to the sport that I enjoy the most. This is supposed to be fun, so if you're not having fun training for triathlons and think that just running would be better, then go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me, athletic ADD...

I'm a decent runner and biker, terrible swimmer but always willing to learn. The issue that burns me however is swim training - it's a PITA to fit in my schedule. It's either very late on weekdays or smack dab in the middle of Sunday. I have to drive 20min to get to the pool, 20min to get back whereas biking is done on the trainer, running is a 2min preparation, out the door. The logistics of planning and going to a swim session burn me down.

And I also jumped a tad too quickly into 70.3 (thankfully I realized that before signing up for 140.6). I'll concentrate in the future on sprints and Olympics.

However... I am shooting for BQ this year and training for that has been really enjoyable and easier to plan. And I've been looking at doing some trail races, and maybe ultras.

So yeah... I can understand quitting and so on. At this point I haven't quit, but once I have done my 140.6, I might settle for the simplicity of just doing running and vary things with BQ, ultras, trail. Who knows. Then again, I might have a genuine breakthrough in swimming that might somehow make my trips to the local pool less of a chore as well, or the schedule could change, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy all three disciplines and would probably be content doing any of them exclusively if I had to, but I appreciate the fact that participating in triathlon lets me do all three. I should probably add that I'm also very 'slow-to-average' in all three. I don't think I'd ever be really 'good' at any one discipline, even if I focused on it exclusively.

I typically do a lot of running races during the year from 5K up to HM distance. I also compete in a couple of Masters swim meets during the year. I do occasional bike TT's, but have never done any actual bike racing. Volunteered as a corner worker at a few crits, and quite frankly it scared the heck out of me just watching.

I guess it just gets down to the fact that I enjoy this stuff and at 61 want to keep doing it as long as I can. I actually think the cross-training aspects of triathlon will help me stay active longer in all three.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a single sport athlete. What I've learned is this: Single sport athletes are only getting ~33% of the fun.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late 2013 I decided to focus on running for a little while, cycling had become more a chore than enjoyable. Then I started getting into the "race" aspect of the local runs. Next thing you know I'm run-only with every intention of riding and cycling again "next year". Yeah, right...I still look at my bike and think "not today". I like the simplicity of running and logistics of race day are so much easier. Then a friend introduced me to trail and ultras, looks like my road days may be numbered... ;-)

Nothing wrong with picking new adventures when you find them I'd say.

Still want to do a 140.6 someday though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similiar thoughts about a year ago, swimming just wasn't fun for me, I really did hate it. I'm not getting paid to do triathlon, so I just stopped. Bike racing, road racing, and track have been much more fun to train for. I will say, RACING a triathlon is a good time. I now enjoy racing every week, or every other week much more than the big high of triathlon 1-2x a year.

My advice is the same to you, if it isn't fun anymore and hasn't been for awhile stop forcing it. You'll be much happier focusing on your strengths and what is fun for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an all or nothing kind of person. Not a huge fan of running only races. The idea of running a marathon scares me more than doing an IM. Only reason I do running races now is to make me a better triathlete. Could never bike race because the idea of being in a pack makes me nervous. competitive swimming? Who wants to do that many flip turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Re: Quitting Triathlon and Running Only [djwrekless] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
I really enjoy all three disciplines and would probably be content doing any of them exclusively if I had to, but I appreciate the fact that participating in triathlon lets me do all three. I should probably add that I'm also very 'slow-to-average' in all three. I don't think I'd ever be really 'good' at any one discipline, even if I focused on it exclusively.

I typically do a lot of running races during the year from 5K up to HM distance. I also compete in a couple of Masters swim meets during the year. I do occasional bike TT's, but have never done any actual bike racing. Volunteered as a corner worker at a few crits, and quite frankly it scared the heck out of me just watching.

I guess it just gets down to the fact that I enjoy this stuff and at 61 want to keep doing it as long as I can. I actually think the cross-training aspects of triathlon will help me stay active longer in all three.

Mark
---------
This for me too except I don't enter master swim meets or TT. I would SBR even if I didn't race because I enjoy the cross training.

BTW I'll be 63 next month.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, if you love to race, I think it's much easier to go back to single-sport. I have a few friends who quit tri to go back to running, and suddenly they're racing twice as often for half the cost. that's appealing, for sure.

some years ago I would've said that tri was more groovy and friendly and fringe-y than road running, but I'm no longer sure that's the case, either. if you don't really care about "community/lifestyle," then who cares - just go where the starting lines are!

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought of this as well and tried last fall to focus on running for a few months. Saw some big improvements. However, what keeps me doing tris is the all around and overall fitness you get which transfers to other activities and life in general.

Cycling gives me strong legs for dh skiing and swimming keeps my upper body fit for events like xc skiing and kayaking while running is just good all around for your cardio.

I also like the fact that you can train as little or as much as you want and stay relatively injury free and the variety kills the monotony. This and the fact that you can be 'out there' in nature for such a long time versus 4.5hours of running only. You can go for lake swims and enjoy the beauty and tranquility out there, for long bike rides and runs and breath in the fresh spring or fall air. It certainly distinguishes you from the heard and for me it has become a part of my identity.

I hope to keep doing tris for the long haul and am always impressed when I see 80 and 90 year olds out there moving. I think that as long as you keep moving you'll be ok. I would just worry about the upper body strength and fitness if I gave up swimming, even though I loath the pool as well as anyone.

Don't worry about stinking in the 'other two legs'. Just keep moving and you will still be ahead of the VAST majority of the population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One issue I can see is that your total volume of training will reduce. It's hard to do THAT many hours a week of running without getting injured The upshot being you may lose aerobic fitness and your run times might suffer.
Last edited by: zamm0: Apr 21, 15 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up running and swimming and now just cycle. Way happier doing this. Concetrating on the sport I enjoy most of triathlon has seen me improve more than I ever would on the bike doing the other sports.

Plus I get to race most weekends, which keeps me engaged and excited. Whereas doing long course tri it was a couple of times a year, and there was much more stress associated with those events because of a certain amount of pressure to perform.

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next